Sony VAIO PCG-FX101 Reviews

• Screen Quality

• Battery Life

Sony VAIO PCG-FX101 - Ask a question now

Sony VAIO PCG-FX101

“The CD Rom on the Sony Vaio PCG-FX101 is cheap and...”

Written on: 18/12/2004 by chrisper (1 review written)

The CD Rom on the Sony Vaio PCG-FX101 is cheap and nasty and most of the time won't open without some form of help. The USB ports have become loose and don't work. I have taken the graetest care with this machine and I have asked others who have had the same problem. I am having another Vaio so I live in hope that this one will be better… Read Full Review

Sony VAIO PCG-FX101

“Poor build quality on the SODIMM sockets (2nd one...”

Written on: 30/07/2004 by jb2 (1 review written)

Poor build quality on the SODIMM sockets (2nd one especially) means Sony Vaio PCG-FX101 machines stop working after 18 months or so. Have a look on Google for Vaio boot problems. Sony deny there is a problem and you will have to fix this at your own expense or take the retailer to small claims court to get back your money. Don't buy a Sony Vaio!… Read Full Review

Sony VAIO PCG-FX101

“When I first bought my machine I loved it, but as the...”

Written on: 19/03/2003 by Timblewee. (1 review written)

When I first bought my machine I loved it, but as the weeks went on I realised that the FX101 wasn't all it was cracked up to be. Insufficient memory puts the hard drive under a lot of strain and the constant drive activity becomes annoying making an upgrade a must. The lack of a flopy drive not only makes getting files on and off the machine a problem but makes upgrading to Win XP difficult as the BIOS flash from SONY needs to be run from Floppy. The battery (the least said the better) is… Read Full Review

Sheppard.'s Response to Timblewee.'s Review

Written on: 09/05/2003

I'm sad :-(( since my Sony Vaio PCG-FX101 recognizes 256Mb instead of the 512Mb installed. I checked the memory and that's 100% compatible and OK! So it's really one of the two memory banks that's broken.
<br><br>
<br><br>OR... can it be a software/BIOS failure? I run Windows 2000.
<br><br>
<br><br>Hopefully you can help me/advise me!

Induce's Response to Timblewee.'s Review

Written on: 16/03/2006

I have a problem with my laptop. It seems to get stuck on the thinkpad screen. Is it a processor problem?
<br>Can anyone help please? My dad will kill me!

Aevans1108's Response to Timblewee.'s Review

Written on: 13/12/2004

My PCG-FX270 has exactly the same problem.
<br>
<br>It had 512MB of RAM recognized and working under Windows 2000.
<br>
<br>I sent it to Sony to have them fix the DVD drive and while it was there, I asked them to flash the BIOS to the latest version.
<br>
<br>Now, only bank 0 is recognized. IE: It only has 256 MB of RAM now.
<br>
<br>The problem, of course is that I just realized this over two years later... and of course all the Sony sites say that if I try to flash the BIOS myself with anything other than the original RAM (which is lost - it came with 192 MB), it will render the system unusable.
<br>
<br>So, I guess I'm stuck.
<br>
<br>I've had more problems with this system than I can count: memory bank failure, DVD drive failure, back-light failure, W2K incompatibilities, etc... and of course, their tech support is is a bunch of automatons who do nothing but read scripts. I'll never buy Sony again.

Maur0's Response to Timblewee.'s Review

Written on: 04/11/2004

Hi,
<br>my notebook behaves as yours. Unfortunately I didn't solve the problem yet. The bios chip is a TSOP soldered in the motherboard. It is difficult to remove and re-flash. Did you contact SONY for that? Did you download the update file from the Vaio-link site as I done?

173127_Queeny's Response to Timblewee.'s Review

Written on: 06/10/2004

Hey..did you fix your Sony Vaio PGC-FX101 bios issue? Mine simply will not start. It's like stuck on the SONY screen ...not going into the BIOS...what should I do?
<br>
<br>I need the system to work . . .please advise !!!
<br>thanks

Maur0's Response to Timblewee.'s Review

Written on: 25/08/2004

Hi everyone,
<br>
<br>I've got a problem with the bios of my PCG-FX101. The upgrade failed. Does someone know if the bios chip is easy to re-flash?
<br>thanks
<br>Mauro

Danielp's Response to Timblewee.'s Review

Written on: 14/10/2003

I also have a problem with my second memory slot. In the first one all of my modules will work. But a single module in the second bank leads to no boot at all and one module in every bank ends up in only one used bank.
<br>Does the FX101 Bios perhaps only support one bank???

Torcuato's Response to Timblewee.'s Review

Written on: 01/10/2003

I also have two 64MB memory modules and only recognizes one of them.... it doesn't matter where i put any of the modules, or swaping them (i tried all possible combinations module/socket) only recognizes 64Mb

Sony VAIO PCG-FX101

“Sony very unhelpful///I live in the uk now and bought...”

Written on: 04/03/2002 by dov. (1 review written)

Sony very unhelpful///I live in the uk now and bought my Sony Vaio PCG-FX101 Laptop in the usa.....must be returned to usa to be repaired… Read Full Review

Sony VAIO PCG-FX101

“prices are falling now but i would still buy a sony viao.”

Written on: 27/11/2001 by charles turner. (1 review written)

prices are falling now but i would still buy a sony viao… Read Full Review

☆☆☆☆☆
Sony VAIO PCG-FX101

“First thoughts were that the lack of floppy drive...”

Written on: 20/11/2001 by CGRE. (1 review written)

First thoughts were that the lack of floppy drive would not really be a problem. That was until the PCMCIA Network card drivers came on a floppy.

Tried to install Windows 2000 - The drivers do not function with Windows 2000 and sony have no plans to provide them (there are hacks around however)

Battery Life - tosh, 45 minutes, PLEASEEEEEEE.

Best thing that happened - PCMCIA slot died so got replacement machine!… Read Full Review

Par.'s Response to 6110_CGRE.'s Review

Written on: 10/04/2003

I couldn't agree more.
<br>
<br>This must be about the worst laptop around :(
<br>And I got it :/
<br>
<br>And your battery works for 45 mins? Gosh your lucky!! Mine is dead after 15.. whoohoo, what was the point again of a laptop?????
<br>
<br>Go Sony... please stick to PS2 cause laptops are out of your league!

Sony VAIO PCG-FX101

“In response to the the comments made by pierre with...”

Written on: 06/06/2001 by Peter. (1 review written)

In response to the the comments made by pierre with regards to my raving review of the SONY PCG-C1VE. The machine is once again my pick of the bunch for many reasons. Trialing the kit in a retail store for 10 mins does not give you the total picture as to how precise this machine is for the size. Yes, the seperate accessories that can be purchased with the sony are a bit off putting however, just like any other major player in the electronics field. They would like to influence the user into… Read Full Review

Sony VAIO PCG-FX101

“The Sony Vaio FX101 is excellent through & through....”

Written on: 25/05/2001 by Pedro. (1 review written)

The Sony Vaio FX101 is excellent through & through. digital cam properties are absolutely excellent. Processing power and memory features are exceptional for the size & weight of the machine. If you want to be mobile with a lite weight machine that has still got the disk space and processing power then choose the Sony PCG-C1VE.
Crusoe 600 processor, 12GB drive, 128 MB ram… Read Full Review

2287_Pierre.'s Response to 2266_Pedro.'s Review

Written on: 27/05/2001

Why choose the Sony PCG-C1VE? You can't load any software on this without buying very expensive add-ons which are sold separately. I think this machine is nothing more than a very expensive gimmick.
<br>
<br>I've just bought the FX101 at £799 from John Lewis (more reliable than PC World) but the absence of a floppy drive is inconvenient. I have had to copy floppy installation disks on to a CD to install software I use. It also enabled me to install an Iomega zip drive to use as an additional drive.
<br>
<br>The FX 101 is the best machine I have bought so far and very easy to get up and running. Thoroughly recommended.

Lesindes.'s Response to 2266_Pedro.'s Review

Written on: 24/02/2003

A review without any technical specifications (e. g. monitor size, HD-size) can you tell us pls?

Sony VAIO PCG-FX101

“I bought this on 21/5/2001 from PC world in the UK for...”

Written on: 23/05/2001 by MV. (1 review written)

I bought this on 21/5/2001 from PC world in the UK for £798 including vat. which is an excellent price. Perhaps not the best choice for a mobile worker due to it's fairly large size, it is ideal if you are to be sat in the same place all day before moving on to a different site.

The 13.3 inch screen is sharp and very welcome after using a smaller screen for the past year or so. The printed documentation is not wonderful, the only thing approaching a proper user manual is on CD.

I don't think… Read Full Review

Sony VAIO PCG-FX101

“I could only fault the Sony Vaio FX101 on the floppy...”

Written on: 19/05/2001 by Scallywag. (1 review written)

I could only fault the Sony Vaio FX101 on the floppy drive being left off, presumably to hold down the price... After purchasing it I was installing a LAN using USB which had floppy drive installation. I then had to go and buy the floppy drive to install the LAN adapters, but not before trying to cheat the laptop into accepting the installation by various methods other than floppy drive, and failing... Otherwise I give it a BIG 9/10... Attractive appearance, light, nice screen and… Read Full Review

Sony VAIO PCG-FX101

“The new budget offering from the acclaimed Sony Vaio...”

Written on: 11/05/2001 by Andy Curtis. (1 review written)

The new budget offering from the acclaimed Sony Vaio stable is certainly impressive when it comes to reaching for your wallet. Weighing in at a nimble £900 or therabouts you could find yourself wondering where the catch is.

In truth, there is no catch, but before you buy you should note what you don't get. No infra red port, no floppy drive and no PS2 port. All of these setbacks can be surmounted easily enough by choosing accessories carefully.

If you need an external mouse (and who… Read Full Review

Sony VAIO PCG-FX101

“I dont often buy without seeing something first but...”

Written on: 04/04/2001 by Paul. (1 review written)

I dont often buy without seeing something first but after checking a few reviews and comparing prices and specs I decided the Sony Vaio was a great buy (£970).

You have to be careful when buying a laptop because some companies wont do a replacement if the screen has dead pixels. Dell and IBM have their own policies on the acceptible number of pixels required to permit a placement (between 7 and 13). This is rubbish, I want a perfect screen and why not !

That is why I bought a Sony Vaio and I… Read Full Review