Peugeot 205 Gti Reviews

Peugeot 205 Gti - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Peugeot 205 Gti

Peugeot 205 Gti
Peugeot 205 Gti

“This is a great car, second car after within first...”

Written on: 22/12/2009 by Tjc90 (1 review written)

This is a great car, second car after within first year of driving and best thing i ever did!
There are so many things that can go wrong but hey its 20 years old!
Value for money is the best thing as the amount of money you spend doesn't compare to the amount of fun you have!! £850 mine was, bit of a service and this got me hooked!!
Im only 19 now and couldn't careless about insurance price.

RECOMMENDED TO ANYONE WHO DOESN'T WANT TO MODIFY THIS CAR!!… Read Full Review

“Ladies and gentlemen!”

Written on: 31/05/2009 by pugelist (1 review written)

Ladies and gentlemen!
I bought my 1.9 Peugot 205 Gti new, in Saudi Arabia in 1993. At the time l was working for a Saudi Oil Company, on the east coast of S.A.
I drove it in and around the Eastern Province of S.A. in 40-plus degrees. No problems at all, the A.C. worked impeccably and the car started up each day at the first turn of the key. Extreme Test number 1. Passed 5 Star. In 1995 i drove my car back to U.K. overland from the east coast of S.A. 1,600 kilometers to Jordan. Over very bumpy… Read Full Review

“I have a Peugeot 205 1.6 Phase 2 gti, owned for three...”

Written on: 20/05/2008

I have a Peugeot 205 1.6 Phase 2 gti, owned for three years. These cars must be the greatest hot hatches of all! Extremely fun to drive and they never get boring. Be aware! These cars have reliability issues due to age and being thrashed to death. Not an ideal daily runner! Idleing faults, oil seals wearing out (blue smoke), exhaust manifold prone to cracking, rear beam etc etc etc. But I have Done 20,000 miles in mine and I still love it! Makes life easier if you have 2 cars though, backup for… Read Full Review

“I have the 1.6 version, its great to drive and is a...”

Written on: 14/11/2007 by mcjakeyg (1 review written)

I have the 1.6 version, its great to drive and is a brilliant little first car, even though the insurance so high as im only 18! It needs a little bit of work, don't know why it idles funny and doesn't start in the morning...... trying to work that one out. :-)

Want to get it lowered on the 1.9 wheels and find some ways to try to make it a bit more responsive without shelling out the big bucks… Read Full Review

“Bought an F-Reg Peugeot 205 Gti 1.6GTi with 100k on...”

Written on: 27/03/2005 by Denyfromtheblock (1 review written)

Bought an F-Reg Peugeot 205 Gti 1.6GTi with 100k on the clock off father-in-law for 50 sovs. BARGAIN!!

Unmodified as yet had it for 6 months no problems so far.

Its quick when you floor it. Top end very responsive, scream the knackers off it boy!

Handles better than any car I ever owned (I've owned a mini and a lowered belmont sri both went like stink and stuck to the road like poo to a blanket, but the 205 is something else, throw it round as much as you want and you don't need to brake… Read Full Review

“The Peugeot 205 Gti is an all time classic. ”

Written on: 30/01/2005 by nosman (1 review written)

The Peugeot 205 Gti is an all time classic.
Handles brilliantly and is second to none. (never been beaten by anything around corners)
Its been extremely reliable with the 1.6 engine (for 11 years i've never had any major faults with the car)

I've owned the same car for 13 years with the 1.6 engine for 11 of those years then changed the engine to a low mileage 1.9 because it was cheap which only lasted 6 months (blew it up testing my nitrous set up)..then the mi16 engine which has been… Read Full Review

“I really like the looks and handling of the Peugeot...”

Written on: 24/11/2004 by markbaker837 (1 review written)

I really like the looks and handling of the Peugeot 205 Gti, but the engine is poor it splutters a lot in second gear and top end leaves a bit to be desired if anyone has any tips on how to make it run better please let me know… Read Full Review

Kevf205's Response to 177923_markbaker837's Review

Written on: 14/01/2005

Have you had it looked at by a mechanic? As a matter of course, I would replace the plugs and leads as it sounds like an ignition problem and also get a new air filter. I do not know how much mechanical knowledge you have so don't want to be patronising but I can give you a list of things I would check. (you may want to get a hynes manual).
<br>
<br>Excessive oil in distributor cap?
<br>- clean it. If the oil comes back get a new seal for the distributor housing.
<br>
<br>build up of dirt in air flow sensor making it stick?
<br>-clean it with a rag and a bit of wd40
<br>-do the same with the throttle buterfly
<br>
<br>are the valve clearences correct?
<br>-remove the cam cover and check with feeler guages
<br>-if out then replace (or ask a garage to do it)
<br>
<br>is the throttle initial position set correct?
<br>-set it up as per the instructions in the manual
<br>
<br>if this doesn't cure the problem then replace the fuel filter (it should be replaced every 5 years at least).
<br>
<br>These jobs will not take up much time at all and are very easy. If problems persist then you may have to get a garage to look at it. There is no reason why you shouldn't be able to have your 205 running sweet!

“I bought a 1.9 GTI on an F 1989 (133,000 miles) for my...”

Written on: 27/06/2004 by lombardo (2 reviews written)

I bought a 1.9 GTI on an F 1989 (133,000 miles) for my first car. I wanted a fast car and didn't really mind about the insurance as fast is better than slow. I'm 19 and I pay £2600 insurance 3rd party only with admiral. This car was rapid, beating Escort RS Turbos the lot and the car was standard. I had a few problems at first,
1)Laquar on roof come off
2)Dry bearing in crankshaft, making a sweaky noise
3)Fuel gauge playing up
4)Heater motor not working

I thrashed this motor around Romford… Read Full Review

Wotthedickens's Response to lombardo's Review

Written on: 21/06/2007

I myself have a lovely little H plate 1.6 GTI. Bright cheery red with a pug body kit (fitted at birth). She's my first car too, I wasn't interested in having a poor car to bomb around in, always been a proper motor enthusiast. 'Her Majesty' as she's known, is typically fussy when it comes to new parts. I'll only let one mechanic touch her. You want to talk about quick..shes faster 0-100mph then my fellas 4.6l '99 Mustang GT. She's quicker then my mates Golf VR4 and blows anyone in a Saxo with a massive body kit and a loud tail pipe out of the water, leaving only embarrassment to those left in her wake. And doubly embarrassing because I'm a lass.
<br/>
<br/>Currently her maj is undergoing some restoration works in time for next years showing season. She recently went to the local newark classic car show where she sat next to a mint Reno 5 and a very nice capri. Lots of attention was given to the 3 and loads of peeps took her pic. Course I left grinning like a mental patient.
<br/>
<br/>Shes recently had...new leads, dizzy, sparks, starter motor, track rod end, bearing, cooler pipe, fuel pipe among others. Now shes wingeing for a new alternator. She will be having a new coat of cherry in the new year and her front seats a good going over.
<br/>
<br/>Note to anyone wanting to buy a 205 GTI - do it, its the most rewarding car you will ever purchase. Lots of work if you want to keep them in excellent condition, but well worth it. I bought mine for a grand and at 85,0000 on the clock I knew it was worth it, now shes worth double and climbing. At 17 years old no one can say shes not a classic car. I love my little baby, I've vowed never to sell her , give her away, break her or scrap her. Its a thoroughly rewarding car, even my fella will give up a day in his 'stang to have a 15 min drive in maj - and thats saying something.

“I have had my F reg Peugeot 205 Gti since year 2000....”

Written on: 09/05/2004 by edalbridge (1 review written)

I have had my F reg Peugeot 205 Gti since year 2000. And it is a lot of fun to drive. But, before I bought it many cowboy outfits had tried to 'improve it'. Items like really low springs, power boost valves, etc do not help performance, ride, handling or comfort. If yours has these get rid of them. You'll be surprised. Honest. And if you don't believe me then go to Castle Combe and watch the 205's race and beat the Impreza's and later Peugeot's as they go around the track. Those cars aren't… Read Full Review

Damian L's Response to edalbridge's Review

Written on: 26/04/2006

You ran your engine without oil from Bristol to Alton? And it still worked afterwards?
I ran mine the distance it tooked to decelerate to a standstill after an oil hose detached itself at 90 mph. That was sufficient to wreck the engine, which required nearly 2 grand's worth of repairs.

“I bought my Peugeot 205 Gti 1.9 GTi for cheap off a...”

Written on: 29/04/2004 by jeffcabbage (1 review written)

I bought my Peugeot 205 Gti 1.9 GTi for cheap off a mate because it wasnt running at the time, I then took it to a lad at motorsport and he got it running. Since then I have really enjoyed the performance and the handling it is spot on but beware of the reliability because I am sick of mine now after what I thought was a cheap good bucks per bhp beast has now turned into a wallet draining pain in the bum. I hate to say it but my girlfriend was right when she said dont get one because it'll only… Read Full Review

“I have enjoyed every minuite of the ownership of my...”

Written on: 11/03/2004 by p jonwood (1 review written)

I have enjoyed every minuite of the ownership of my Peugeot 205 Gti. I have the 1.6 version as I am only 19 and struggle to get insurance. The handling is second to none. Straight line speed is not exceptional but is still adequate. I am looking forward to buying the 1.9 as soon as I can afford the insurance!! word of warning though, dont buy one if you want a practical car that will not fall to pieces regulaly!!!… Read Full Review

“I've had my 1993 Peugeot 205 gti 1.9 now for about 5...”

Written on: 03/03/2004 by benno28 (1 review written)

I've had my 1993 Peugeot 205 gti 1.9 now for about 5 years and i'm sick of it, I would love to get another car if I had the cash to spend. These cars are rubbish, they dont drive well at all and if you do more than 20 miles you feel like you need to realign your spine. It leaks, is uncomfortable, slow, and looks dated… Read Full Review

Samm's Response to benno28's Review

Written on: 23/03/2004

Sorry to hear that- I have a 205 mi16 which is 185bhp so about 203 bhp per tonne- it will wup all over pretty much anything it comes up against in the hot hatch area. and I have driven RST, R5GTT, CRX, Golf MK2 16v etc. The handling is great and it takes real skill to drive this car on the limit. I have to admit the build quality is bad but the car weighs 900kgs so what do you expect?
<br>Before my conversion I got 35mpg out of this car and I remember it was a lot more than out of the Golf!
<br>If you want a turbo car- perhaps a Nissan 200 s13 is a good bet because there very cheap although a bit common!

Edalbridge's Response to benno28's Review

Written on: 09/05/2004

Sounds to me like you need to get your Peugeot sorted. The engine should be bullit proof and economical. Has it had any modifications? Are you still on it's original dampers and springs? If so replace them for new items - your ride and handling will improve out of site. What's more new parts don't cost the earth. For 900kg you don't get a lot of soundproofing so if you want something that feel's like quality then either buy something else or again purchase some soundproofing yourself and place it behind your doorcards and under your carpets. You'll be amazed at the difference. Hope this helps.

Chix1000's Response to benno28's Review

Written on: 26/04/2004

If you're concerned about the bumpiness of your drive why dont you swap it for a 1.1 with the floppy suspension?!!
<br>
<br>When you do swap it you will realise how good the 205 is - I got rid of mine due to the lack of reliability but have regretted it ever since. They are great cars - still look modern almost 20 years on and go like stink! Sell your 93 and get a pre-cat model with the extra BHP, far more fun to drive and much faster.

Jonnycash's Response to benno28's Review

Written on: 01/04/2004

You have to remember that 205 GTi's are a 1980's design, there are bound to be some areas where they are a bit poor but these are the cars that led the way for GTi's (along with the Golf). They deserve respect and rightly deserved as if they are well maintained and looked after they are equal if not better than alot of the hot hatches available today. Mine is a 15 year old 1.6 GTi and even though I've thought about getting something newer with all the luxuries etc. Nothing puts a smile on my face like my Peugeot.

“I drove my brothers Peugeot 205 Gti 1.6 and i loved...”

Written on: 14/02/2004 by blake (1 review written)

I drove my brothers Peugeot 205 Gti 1.6 and i loved it, so i sold my car and brought a mint 205 1.9 which was modded with a k&n airfilter, uprated suspension, stainless still exhaust and a set of cool deep cut 5 spoke fondmetal alloys.

:( Shame 1 wet rainy night i lost it comming out of a roundabout and ended upside down in a 10ft ditch. I brought another 205 but it could never replace the one I crashed… Read Full Review

“I bought my first Peugeot 205 Gti back in August 2002....”

Written on: 12/01/2004 by niacuk (1 review written)

I bought my first Peugeot 205 Gti back in August 2002. It was a 85 c reg 1.6 dimma in dimma blue (though whoever did the paint job needed shooting). my aim from the start was to modify it, and modify it I did. so where did i start? it has changed colour from horrible violet to peugeot racing colours (white, blue and red). Has been fitted with 1.9 mi-16v (160bhp standard) lump. which was great until I discovered that the 306 gti-6 (167bhp standard) lump fits also. so that went in and is now… Read Full Review

Simmy's Response to niacuk's Review

Written on: 18/06/2004

Although you're correct to heavily praise the 205gti, I must say your power claims are far too overrated and I have to tell you now that you simply don't have 256bhp, not too long ago there was a USED engine producing 293bhp @ flywheel going for £10,000 which included modifications such as Throttle bodies, complete new ECU and full remap, heavily ported and polished big valve head, basically full race/touring spec.
<br>
<br>I would be inclined to say your engine won't be pushing any more than 185bhp... pushing high power figures is gonna require porting and polishing of the head along with plenty of money, i'm sorry to say you simply can't take the base power figure, add 10bhp for an air filter, 20bhp for cams, etc etc...
<br>
<br>If you get your car professionally rolling roaded you will be given a better idea of power output, and i'm sorry to say you may well find yourself quite dissapointed.

Kevf205's Response to niacuk's Review

Written on: 07/08/2004

I fully agree with Simmy. There are so many companies who make false claims about power outputs from 'bolt-on' upgrades. If u ask a professional race engine builder to give you over 200 bhp he will do most of the work on the head ( larger valves with carefull porting and pollishing etc.) and complement this with throttle boddies and a custom mapping of the fuel and ignition using a rolling road. you will be charched at least £2000 but it will be a genuine increase in power and torque. To get 250 bhp will require further work on the valves and ports to optimise power at very high rpm matched with high lift, long duration cams and stronger valve springs. The high revs will require strengthenning of the bottom end also, which is expensive. All up, you will have spent about £4000. the claim of 220 lbft of torque is the most fishy and i believe that some companies have intentionally inacurate rolling roads to 'prove' to their customers that there products are giving more power.
<br>
<br>As a guide, the 2.0l rover k series engine in the caterham R500 evo produces 250 bhp at over 8000 rpm and 190 lbft of torque. This is a very highly tuned engine and and is about as far as is possible to take a 4 cylinder engine that is to be used on the road.
<br>
<br>I feel my comments may not be appreciated and I can assure you it is not because I am envious. However, I do want people to know what to expect when they modify their engines.

“Ive had my Peugeot 205 Gti 1.9 for 2 years and I still...”

Written on: 10/01/2004 by samm (4 reviews written)

Ive had my Peugeot 205 Gti 1.9 for 2 years and I still cant sell it, I wouldn't unless I could upgrade to something really great like an mr2 turbo.
The best thing is the handling which is fantastic but you can really feel the car around the corners unlike other cars.
They will never make cars like this again where weight is just 900kgs, the closest thing is the Clio cup.
value for money this has to be the best car I have ever seen. You can get a great one for £1k. even an old… Read Full Review

“Just brought a 93 Peugeot 205 1.9 and its the best...”

Written on: 22/12/2003 by charli (1 review written)

Just brought a 93 Peugeot 205 1.9 and its the best handling car i've ever driven having previously owed a number of other hot hathes like Mark 2 Golf GTI 16v,Fiat Punto GT its all round performance is also good… Read Full Review

“As of yesterday I am now a proud owner of a Peugeot...”

Written on: 13/12/2003 by smellmybutt (1 review written)

As of yesterday I am now a proud owner of a Peugeot 205 1.9 GTI. its going to be garaged until April which is when im 21 and insurance ain't such a cainer! Ive owned 1 litre 205s since I was 17 and 3 years on I have invested wisely in its bigger bro. No one knows why but for all you lot who own one, you certainly know the reason. Ive been in a few other fast cars before but a 205 is like driving a racing car! (espeacially with a nice exhaust system!WHAT A ROAR!!) And they still have that *eat… Read Full Review

“I had a 205 GTI 1.6 it was great fun to drive i ended...”

Written on: 08/12/2003 by paul205 (1 review written)

I had a 205 GTI 1.6 it was great fun to drive i ended up changing the wheels and to the 1.9 versions which made go round corners like it was on a track i also put the 1.9 leather seats in to replace the ripped old ones.After i had done this i put a sports system on and changed the engine to a 1.9 after blowing the 1.6 up racing a Rs turbo. With the 1.9 unit installed no other little hot hatch could keep up this car is the GOD of Hot Hatches i would have another anyday of the week… Read Full Review

“wahayyyyyy well what can i say about my Peugeot 205...”

Written on: 18/09/2003 by rscossieboy (2 reviews written)

wahayyyyyy well what can i say about my Peugeot 205 1.6gti apart from the fact that is was the best 700 squid i have ever spent, it is fast and reliable. these boyo's in there corsa's and saxo's aint got nothing on these french wonders. a lil word of advice tho, if ya gonna get one, make sure ya slam it, cause sometimes it feels like ya driving a bowl of jelly, but apart from that there spot on, SO GO GET A AUTO TRADER, SELL THAT SAXO (HEAP) AND JOIN THE REAL BOYS WITH THERE 205'S… Read Full Review

“The Peugeot 205 GTi is most certainly a drivers car! ”

Written on: 29/08/2003 by Evans747 (1 review written)

The Peugeot 205 GTi is most certainly a drivers car!
I've owned 3 205 GTI's & despite there unreliabilty, it has been a great experience & i have no regrets. The 205 still looks great & the performance is truly breath taking (The drive of your life!) These are the last word in overpowered pocket rockets, & a true hot hatch of the 80's. However be prepared for high bills, because when they go wrong, its offen a very costly experience, unless of course you do your own mechanics, in which case… Read Full Review