Toshiba PDR-M4 Reviews

• Image Quality

Summary

Features:
  • 2.14 million-square, 1/2-inch CCD
  • 1,600 x 1,200 maximum resolution
  • 2x digital zoom
  • SmartMedia removable storage
  • Built-in flash with red-eye reduction
  • ? Ask our helpful community of experts about this product or company
    Toshiba PDR-M4 - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Toshiba PDR-M4

Toshiba PDR-M4

“No question who ever created this camera was not dumb,...”

Written on: 19/11/2008

No question who ever created this camera was not dumb, for sure they knew what they were doing, my jewellery pictures that I sold jewellery on e bay always sold due to the good detail pics from my camera toshiba pdr m4 I know my camera is probably 8 -10 years old, I am ruff, I have knocked it off counter, plopped it in my purse it sure takes a beating for these years. I turn top mode dial fast... i am ruff! So no wonder its broke, I fell its my fault not manufactures, I never left any feed… Read Full Review

Toshiba PDR-M4

“Like many others writing poor reviews before me on the...”

Written on: 19/01/2004 by trailmixx (1 review written)

Like many others writing poor reviews before me on the Toshiba PDR M4, the mode dial fell off my camera after about a year of gentle, infrequent use. I babied this camera and kept it in a case on a shelf. The mode dial just broke while turning it from "take picture" mode to "display picture" mode.

It's a defective dial and now I have no camera… Read Full Review

Toshiba PDR-M4

“Everything great except won't take photos or flash! ...”

Written on: 14/11/2003 by Colin Dawson (1 review written)

Everything great except won't take photos or flash! Anyone else had a similar problem? Everything else appears to work fine. The LCD screen, the memory card, the menu settings, even the indigo blue light when the button is fully depressed, all are OK and other than the problem I'm having (and repair outlets telling me they are going to charge a fortune to even look at it, and that I won't get this back even if they can't fix it). Love the camera, need it fixed. Help very much appreciated… Read Full Review

Seadee's Response to Colin Dawson's Review

Written on: 17/02/2004

I know someone who owned this camera for over a year. The wheel was really loose, after calling Toshiba, she sent it in and they fixed it for free. I also just read another review (http://www.epinions.com/content_11262463620)
    <br>where they did the same thing. So send it back. I liked her camera so much (and the customer service), I got one myself.

Travissand's Response to Colin Dawson's Review

Written on: 07/05/2004

I have the same problem. so did you ever find out how to fix it? if so email me at travissand@hotmail.com Travis

Toshiba PDR-M4

“I have had my camera for three years and since have...”

Written on: 23/07/2003 by Pal. (1 review written)

I have had my camera for three years and since have tried and returned two so called 4Meg cameras that under performed the PDR M4. The image quality is reasonable for this "vintage" camera.
    The cost of replacing the dial in the UK is £28.
    I repaired my broken dial by making up a "washer" from double sided adhesive tape. This was highly succesful and eliminates the risk of using superglue… Read Full Review

Toshiba PDR-M4

“I need to know if the dial can be fixed on my Toshiba...”

Written on: 11/04/2003 by Cindy. (1 review written)

I need to know if the dial can be fixed on my Toshiba PDR M4… Read Full Review

Centrostile.'s Response to 88273_Cindy.'s Review

Written on: 10/06/2003

Any decent camera repair centre should be able to do it. My local one in Cranleigh, Surrey charges about £70 & report lots of these Toshibas suffer from this.

Adrian Gee Turner's Response to 88273_Cindy.'s Review

Written on: 21/02/2005

I also have had the model dial come off my PDR-M4 and want to know from anyone where I can get it fixed ?

Auxcap's Response to 88273_Cindy.'s Review

Written on: 18/11/2003

Cindy
    <br>see my review dated 9/25/02
    <br>Herman Panson can be accessed at
    <br>http://www.hermanelectronics.com/Authorized.asp
    <br>they sell the knob assembly.
    <br>CAUTION: you better be very handy to do the repair. good luck!!

Toshiba PDR-M4

“The Toshiba PDR M4 digital camera is very responsive -...”

Written on: 25/09/2002 by auxcap. (1 review written)

The Toshiba PDR M4 digital camera is very responsive - it takes picture much more quickly than Canon EOS. Like all other digital still cameras, digital zoom is a consumer come-on. It's much better to "zoom" the image in software.
    I downrated the value and overall ratings due to the knob… Read Full Review

57633_Gmcmen.'s Response to auxcap.'s Review

Written on: 13/12/2002

Does the dial come with the plastic circut attached as one piece?

Gmcmen.'s Response to auxcap.'s Review

Written on: 17/12/2002

Auxcap, thanks I was a bit worried about taking it apart, but I got it apart and the old knob out with no problems.
    I was able to find a dealer in the UK to supply the knob for £30, waiting on its arrival.
    UK supplier http://www.seme.co.uk/ hope this is of help to someone else.

58197_Auxcap.'s Response to auxcap.'s Review

Written on: 15/12/2002

gmcmen: No there are no circuit boards attached to the knob; it comes with a multiconductor "cord" attached. You have to virtually disassemble most of the camera to get at the circuit board where the cord attaches.
    Be careful and methodical - take careful notes re what is connected to what, which screw, etc.
    Good luck!

Toshiba PDR-M4

“I had enjoyed using this Toshiba PDR M4 digital camera...”

Written on: 15/06/2002 by Horace. (1 review written)

I had enjoyed using this Toshiba PDR M4 digital camera and would like to get it repaired, although fitting the ribbon cable into place looks tricky. Anyone have any tips for repairing it myself?

Could this problem be related to heat from the battery if you leave it charging for too long? My mode dial fell off afer charging for a few hours… Read Full Review

30853_Pdrm4 Owner.'s Response to 27920_Horace.'s Review

Written on: 28/07/2002

I had two years of faithful service and decent pictures from the PDR-M4 before the setting dial broke off. It is not heat from the battery and you did nothing wrong. I have seen other review sites and this appears to be the most common problem with the camera. I irrepairably damaged my camera by opening it trying to diagnose the problem. There is a simple solution that works well. On the underside of the dial, you will see small white marks the size of pinheads. those are the sheared off remnants of the tiny pinnings that held the knob on the camera.
    <br>
    <br>You can superglue (epoxy) the knob back on to the camera. This works really well, but a few words of caution: Make sure the knob it aligned corretly when you put it on the camera. Use a toothpick and place the glue on the broken points on the dial, let it dry for a few seconds before placing it on the camera. Don't put a "glob" of glue on the dial or try to apply glue to more surface area than the broken contact points. Better the knob should fall off again than risk ruining the camera by getting glue in the knob's rotary track. Don't be overly concerned if you destroy the camera in the process. The cost of having the camera professionally repaired is the same as the cost of purchasing a refurbished used PDR-M4. Good Luck.

Toshiba PDR-M4

“I bought this Toshiba PDR M4 digital camera used. Will...”

Written on: 23/04/2002 by Rick. (1 review written)

I bought this Toshiba PDR M4 digital camera used. Will not buy another without factory warranty… Read Full Review

Toshiba PDR-M4

“I used the Toshiba PDR-M4 digital camera for about 18...”

Written on: 22/04/2002 by Tim Wittwer. (1 review written)

I used the Toshiba PDR-M4 digital camera for about 18 months. Would rate the camera a 9/10 over that time; however, I too have fallen to the "Broken Function Selector Knob".

The knob assembly is held together with four small plastic "welds" which become brittle and fail. When this happens, the knob assembly falls apart and the camera becomes useless.

I am currently seeking a replacement knob. Anyone find a source?… Read Full Review

Toshiba PDR-M4

“We own 4 of these Toshiba PDR M4 digital cameras. We...”

Written on: 19/04/2002 by Chris. (1 review written)

We own 4 of these Toshiba PDR M4 digital cameras. We used them on field evalautions, travelling extensively with them. They worked well because they were simple and fast to operate. The issue is, as others have found, the knob breaks off. I notice the newer models have a smaller knob.
    I too would love to buy new knobs and fix the broken ones I have.
    It is amazing that Toshiba is still selling these as refurbed units for $250 US… Read Full Review

20731_Tim Wittwer.'s Response to 20177_Chris.'s Review

Written on: 22/04/2002

After a bit of a search, I found replacement function selector knob assemblies.
    <br>Toshiba Part Number: 23445460

51632_Dan.'s Response to 20177_Chris.'s Review

Written on: 18/11/2002

Thanks for the leg work on this Tim. Dan

Toshiba PDR-M4

“With my Toshiba PDR M4 digital camera, I use a smart...”

Written on: 10/04/2002 by Rick. (1 review written)

With my Toshiba PDR M4 digital camera, I use a smart card reader to speed up downloads to PC.
    Camera accepts 64 mb card if firmware upgraded.
    Don't lose battery! They cost over 70.00!… Read Full Review

Toshiba PDR-M4

“Like many other PDR M4 owners have experienced... the...”

Written on: 28/01/2002 by Denise. (1 review written)

Like many other PDR M4 owners have experienced... the dial on my Toshiba digital camera has broken off rendering the camera useless. I paid $600US and got 2 years of use from it. Would not buy it again unless it was under $200US… Read Full Review

15290_Rod.'s Response to 10798_Denise.'s Review

Written on: 08/03/2002

As far as DIY repairs, I've read that you can order a new mode switch from ERC in California 1-909-351-8836 for approx $40 US and that the repair is easy enough to do.
    <br><br>

33766_Peter.'s Response to 10798_Denise.'s Review

Written on: 19/08/2002

Hello! I have the same problem with broken knob. I also opened the camera and the replacement is no problem. But I don't know how I could get this part. Can anyone help me? my email: ambro@gimb.org
    <br>
    <br>It would be very helpful, if someone could get it for me in mentioned shop and send it to me.. I would pay all the costs.
    <br>Thanks!

Toshiba PDR-M4

“ I purchased this Camera from IQVC in Feb 2000. The...”

Written on: 17/11/2000 by Randy Sherry. (1 review written)

I purchased this Camera from IQVC in Feb 2000. The first thing I noticed was the software is a demo of an imaging software that I have never heard of, the software is Pathetic and limited until you purchase the full version. Second thing I noticed was the first time I had to cgarhe the battery IT TOOK 8 HOURS. Finally I was able to take some pictures. I have to say that the photos taken outside came out really well, great colors no crystalization, really great pictures, however if you plan to… Read Full Review

2231_Mike.'s Response to Randy Sherry.'s Review

Written on: 22/05/2001

I have also encountered this mode dial problem with the toshiba pdr-m4. The first time, the company sent me a replacement; about 3 months after the replacement arrived, the same thing happened! I am now left with nothing more than a piece of useless hardware. Please let me know if anyone finds out how to get this repaired DIY since the camera is no longer under warranty and it costs too much to repair the dial. Cheers.

Honu.'s Response to Randy Sherry.'s Review

Written on: 16/01/2003

Got the same problem, ask Toshiba for the part (in Europe) . the price is 105 Euros ... !!! Arrrgghhh .... near 85 $
    But you can bought these part from :
    http://www.partsolver.com/ for near 25 $
    I will never bought something else from Toshiba.
    David.

57631_Gmcmen.'s Response to Randy Sherry.'s Review

Written on: 13/12/2002

Is it an easy job to fit the dial yourself?
    Is it all one piece including the plastic circut bit?

Goldspk.'s Response to Randy Sherry.'s Review

Written on: 03/12/2002

Won't take pictures! Button can be pushed but nothing happens. Battery is OK, 128mg card is new. HELP PLEASE goldspk@hotmail.com

40241_James.'s Response to Randy Sherry.'s Review

Written on: 28/09/2002

The camera was a lemon. The mode dial popping off is a common problem. Toshiba could care less which is fine with me because the PDR-M4 is the first and LAST Toshiba product I will ever buy.

20763_Tim Wittwer.'s Response to Randy Sherry.'s Review

Written on: 22/04/2002

Toshiba replacement knob (part # 23445460 )available at:
    <br>(800)938-4376 and (800)527-7835 $26.69 + $7.95 = $34.64

Bctech.'s Response to Randy Sherry.'s Review

Written on: 28/01/2002

I had the PDR-M4 for 2 years and a couple of months before the dial broke, the camera took decent pictures and I enjoyed it. What irritates me is that there is a design flaw. Toshiba should live up to it and offer to either fix or replace these cameras with different units.

5099_Gene.'s Response to Randy Sherry.'s Review

Written on: 20/10/2001

I don't agree with the review. I have taken countless pictures indoors, and have had people "rave" about how well the pictures turned out. I have never had any problem with the dial switch, and yes the battery took a long time to charge, I suppose. I just let it charge overnight, and it was ready the next day. I have upgraded to more memory with the "smart media" cards and am enjoying the use of the camera. Very easy to use.

Toshiba PDR-M4

“The LCD on this camera is smaller than on other...”

Written on: 04/03/2000 by Mike Beasley. (1 review written)

The LCD on this camera is smaller than on other cameras but maybe that's why the batteries last so long. It has the 2.14 Mega pixel technology and loads of RAM 32MB. The pictures process quickly too (1 sec apart) so I can get a number of shots on the run. Its nice and compact too compared to the Olympus and others. You wont be disappointed with this great little camera… Read Full Review