Mission 702e Reviews

• Sound Quality

Mission 702e - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Mission 702e

Mission 702e

“Converted to transmissionn line!”

Written on: 30/11/2012

I bought a pair of these a few years ago for £100 and immediately got a jig saw to the backs and converted them to "transmission line" speakers a la IPL acoustics. It opened them out tremendously and dramatically increased the bass response - and I'm talking about 32ft organ pipe fundamentals shaking the house! They give extremely accurate positioning of instruments / vocalists etc. OK, this is not a normal review but I just wanted to point out what is possible to achieve with a relatively… Read Full Review

Mission 702e

“Best Bang for the Buck and much more!”

Written on: 25/02/2012 by Tosha1962 (1 review written)

I have been experimenting with Hi-Fi for about 40Years now so I had Celestion ditton,JBL L50,55,4311,123,Kef,coda,cantata,Paradigm 9s 11s,PSB's,Mirage,and so on ... And Mission 732 ran with McIntosh 2202 Power & c73 pre Mcintosh CD player Thorens td166 (only significant improvement was B&W DM801 at that time were $9000). And now Downgraded to Yamaha RXV 1400,Project Debut III, Mission 702(not 702e)I wish I can get them for normal price (somebody here in Canada is selling them for $600 the were… Read Full Review

Mission 702e

“I brought these speakers 2nd hand and paid 75 euros...”

Written on: 02/08/2010

I brought these speakers 2nd hand and paid 75 euros for them.
Connected to my Onkyo mini set (CR 325UK) they sounded horrible (compared to B&Ws 602s II) but when I connected them to my Cambridge Audio 520 Receiver: a different story. Perfect. Balanced tone. (as well in the low (controlled) as in the high (nothing missing, not to much (treble flat)).

Pro's : Floorstanders, small, natural, dynamic sound, very suitable for Dolby surround (if partnered with 70s and a Mission Center)
Con's : Need… Read Full Review

Mission 702e

“great sound. been using my 702e's for over ten years...”

Written on: 08/01/2010

great sound. been using my 702e's for over ten years now and still love the style, looks and quality sound that comes out of them.
i paid £130 for them well over ten years ago. certainly had my moneys worth, and they are still like brand new now.
(get some bought, you wont regret it)… Read Full Review

Mission 702e

“I just wonder if any of the critics on the 702e...”

Written on: 03/11/2008 by gawie (1 review written)

I just wonder if any of the critics on the 702e Missions, or any other speaker for that matter, took in consideration the acoustics of the room they have set up the speakers. Many people buy equelizers for the wrong reasons while their main purpose is to "balance" the acoustics within the room your speakers have to perform. Once you balanced the accoutics you never touch the equelizer again. Yes, my experiece was exactly the same with my 702e's. My 20 year old Teaks sounds even better. I went… Read Full Review

Stevobath's Response to 414862_gawie's Review

Written on: 09/03/2012

How can this be called a review of the Missions? Its more of an anecdote about Graphic Equalisers! Mate you need to comprehend exactly what a review is...Totally pointless comments that have absolutely nothing to do with the speakers in question.

Mission 702e

“I've been running a pair of Mission 702e stereo...”

Written on: 23/11/2003 by gunner3 (6 reviews written)

I've been running a pair of Mission 702e stereo speakers for 3 years. I have them bi-wired with QED original, on concrete slabs, away from the wall and slightly "toed in". I currently run a Sony cdp-XB930 cd player through a Yamaha AX-492 amplifier (85wpc). After 3 years i am still totally sold on these speakers. Although they can sound a bit strained with a lower powered amp, having tried them with a NAD C3020 (25wpc) and a Sony TA-F30 (30wpc). Compared to newer mission offerings the… Read Full Review

Mission 702e

“When I tried to buy these Mission 702e Stereo Speakers...”

Written on: 08/08/2003 by Phil H (1 review written)

When I tried to buy these Mission 702e Stereo Speakers from Richer Sounds, they desperatley tried to flog me some Eltax Liberty floor standers. Eventually they gave me the missions and I have been very impressed. I am upgrading my amp to a NAD C350 and a guy a Richer said it wasn't worth it as the Missions would be rubbish, had a high failure rate and wouldn't cope with a loud kick drum. I have cranked up these speakers using a live version of Hotel California from the Eagles 'When Hell Freezes… Read Full Review

Neil Patterson's Response to Phil H's Review

Written on: 01/02/2009

Yes I used to work for Richer sounds and "desperately tried to flog Eltax Liberty 5+ speakers" to customers over these 702e's!!! The reason is simple the 702e are not good speakers (I got my sister the Liberty 3+'s by the way and she still has them......I do love my sister too!). Not very accurate with a whomphy (new word folks!!) kind of sound. I have nothing against Mission speakers. I have owned a few, in fact when I used to run a Linn Sondek and had to downsize my speakers I bought a pair of Missions back in the day. I would not use the 702's though as they are fairly poor (I really want to say they are hateful but I am restraining myself and attempting to remain objective!). They are OK for disco and the like and loud parties but I don't think they are much of a speaker at all. I have some very nice very expensive Kef references nowadays thanks very much so I do value good sound. I did own a pair of Mission M71's too (did because they are up for sale right now!!) and receive them as a pretty good accurate speaker with a few shortcomings overall. We also sold the Mission 701's which were an awful awful speaker. They somehow got good reviews too. Cloudy midrange, indistinct bass, subdued treble, lifeless, listless and on and on. They could play fairly loud though so they flew out the door to bass heads. It worries me when I see people saying speakers like these are very good. It generally is people with fairly pedestrian latter day budget systems who haven't heard a good arc of equipment and so cannot (in general) put them into any sort of meaningful context. I challenge you to hear some better stuff (oy no mp3's please!) or even just different and still think these are up to much. Nice big box though!

Stevobath's Response to Phil H's Review

Written on: 09/03/2012

Im not suprised about RS trying to sell you Eltaxs.Although cheaper,they actually get a better mark up as they purchase all Eltax speakers by the bucket load! I know this as my friend works at RSs. They should provide you with impartial advice.Im suprised that they didnt try a push Cambridge Audio products, as this firm trades exclusively thruogh Richer Sounds.Saying that Cambridges range is top class & probably one of the best value hi-fi makers on the market.

Peachents's Response to Phil H's Review

Written on: 01/03/2011

The Mission 701's got a 5 star rating from What Hi-Fi magazine though! I bought 2 pairs from Richer Sounds and was also advised agains't them in favour of Eltax.
<br/>I was told that 'the Missions are made of cardboard and plastic and would fall to bits within weeks!'<br/>11 Years of almost daily thrashing later and they are still in perfect condition and sound great!
<br/>
<br/>I believe Eltax are sound exclusively in the UK through Richer Sounds? Make of that what you will lol!

Mission 702e

“I purchased these Mission 702e from audio T second...”

Written on: 28/07/2003 by James Agg. (1 review written)

I purchased these Mission 702e from audio T second hand for £65. These have been a great success. Their bass is satisfying and punchy. The treble is riddled with clarity and you can hear them at half volume a long way away. The quality is still exceptional from this far away to be honest. My grandfather who has owned various pieces of equipment made by quad (which are the so called best make of brand for hi-fi) said that he thought that they were better than his amasing Quad esl 63's when he… Read Full Review

Mission 702e

“Well what can I say, I bought my Mission's from...”

Written on: 02/07/2003 by Matt. (1 review written)

Well what can I say, I bought my Mission's from Richersounds in January 03 for a miniscule £80 BUT don't be fooled by the price because with these speakers you get a lot for your money. Fair enough the plastic styling around the drivers may not be to every ones taste but we are on about sound for the pound, not looks right?
These speakers perform great with Dance and Rock music sounding much better than some speakers costing £300+. With classical music they may lack the audiophile quality of… Read Full Review

Mission 702e

“I bought these Mission 702e speakers from richersounds...”

Written on: 06/03/2003 by Leigh. (1 review written)

I bought these Mission 702e speakers from richersounds for £100 back in October of last year and have been very pleased with them since. The bass reproduction is very sharp and accurate, going as deep as you like! The treble is also clear and sharp. The mid-range can be a bit lacking with certain audio sources, but nothing to complain about. Overall, these speakers are well worth the money, and work well with many amps… Read Full Review

Mission 702e

“I bought these speakers at 'Richersounds' for £90, and...”

Written on: 23/02/2003 by Jameson. (1 review written)

I bought these speakers at 'Richersounds' for £90, and have been pleased ever since. I started off with a pair of Mission 700's and decided that it was time for an upgrade. The speakers look and price drew me in. Excellent low end with sharp precise treble, but then you wouldn't expect anything else from mission. Don't hesitate to buy, trust me and you will be pleased… Read Full Review

Mission 702e

“I use 2 pairs of 702es in my home cinema and can't...”

Written on: 13/02/2003 by malky. (1 review written)

I use 2 pairs of 702es in my home cinema and can't fault them at all. My sub handles the bass and the very good missions do the rest. malky… Read Full Review

☆☆☆☆☆
Mission 702e

“i have just purchased a pair of missions 702e in...”

Written on: 27/01/2003 by nutter. (1 review written)

i have just purchased a pair of missions 702e in replace of my kefs but no got them home and they are terrible no rythem no authority and poor at reproducing low level detail very unstable at high volumes the kefs i have went back where they belonged by the side of my telly and the missions got sent back they were poor waste of money if you have have £200 spare i would recommend b&w 602s or what i have the kefs q30s they make the mission look rubbish… Read Full Review

75818_Andy.'s Response to 68517_nutter.'s Review

Written on: 26/02/2003

I noticed poor performance with my dads old Sony receiver. But on my old TEAC amplifier (which was cheaper than the Sony) they sounded better.
I would have suggested that you try them on a better amplifier/processor.

Neil Patterson's Response to 68517_nutter.'s Review

Written on: 14/01/2004

I can't resist this one. I used to work for Richer Sounds and yes we would desperately try to get customers to buy the Eltax Liberty 5+ or some other speaker over the 702e's. The reason was simple. The Missions are unadulterated rubbish. Off course when I worked in the trade I had to be diplomatic now I don't have to. God I feel better really saying what I think. People it seems are brainwashed into thinking that they (the 702e's are good. Mission have excellent marketing overall and a good reputation. This makes it easy to sneak the odd cruddy speaker past the unsuspecting public. Yeah so they got five stars in What Hi Fi big deal please don't believe everything you read. I had one punter who even though I had demoed the aforementioned Eltax and proved it's vast superiority over the 702e (he even AGREED the Eltax 5+ sounded better to him!!) he went and bought the Missions! Why? One of the things that swung it for him was that Mission had better marketing! He said this! People I am afraid cannot easily be parted from their insanity. When you really listen to the 702e's, especially in reference to a good capable floorstander, you realise they have a overwarm, poorly controlled woolly bass, a closed in recessed treble and they struggle to make sense of fine detail. Yes they go very loud but so do disco speakers. I am not being unfair for the sake of it. Mission do make some good speakers. I used to own a pair of their 780's so I know they can do it when they try. If you still don't believe me that SOME Missions are woeful read all the reviews on a pair of 701's go find a pair and give them a good listen. Yeuch they suck! So find a sympathetic dealer, there are plenty of them out there, and listen to some decent speakers. The Missions are okay as a first speaker or for parties but give em up as soon as you can, you owe it to yourself!

119889_Andy.'s Response to 68517_nutter.'s Review

Written on: 29/07/2003

I currently use a Yamaha DSP-AX620 reciever, which I have heard isn't very good at all for music.
<br>
<br>I've found it to be more than pleasing! Watching movies or listening to music in my small bedroom is pretty good, but if I move the equipment into the living room, I am totally blown away! Detail is pinpoint, and the volume these things can reach is pretty good for a quite a big room. I use an Eltax Sub 10 subwoofer to take some of the strain off the Missions, which allows them to reach even higher volumes.

119657_Aggie.'s Response to 68517_nutter.'s Review

Written on: 28/07/2003

You might want to get a better amplifier to get the best out of these speakers. Once you do, you will love them and you will have one of the best hi-fi systems on earth. As an amplifier, I recommend the cambridge audio series. If you wanted an intergrated amplifier, the cambridge audio A500 would serve you very well and give you great quality and power. If you wanted separates, the cambridge audio P500 as your power amp and the cambridge audio C500 as your control amp would give you quality and power beyond your wildest dreams. I recommend the separates if you really want to get the fullest quality possible.

104841_Rack.'s Response to 68517_nutter.'s Review

Written on: 06/06/2003

I have heard that there is often a burn in with some speakers that it takes a few hours of high volume before some speakers come to life. Perhaps the reason why they didn't sound too good when you initially hooked them up.

99087_Mike.'s Response to 68517_nutter.'s Review

Written on: 18/05/2003

I have recently upgraded with Mission 702e and NAD C350 amplifier, QED Qunex1 interconnects and QED Original speaker cable, - I am very dissapointed.
<br>
<br>Bass is poorly controlled with tendancy for one note boom whilst the sound is generally veiled and compressed with no presence, sparkle or attack. The system sounds better on less demanding music such as Norah Jones or Leonard Cohen, but the sound quickly deteriorates on more complex tracks, to the point of becoming an irritating noise with no ability to distinguish individual instruments from the general mush. My television sounds better!
<br>
<br>My previous equipment was a cheap Sony AV tuner amp with a pair of ancient Kef C20 speakers. This combination being more musical and enjoyable than the Mission / NAD combo.

Mission 702e

“I bought my 702e in last april, and i'm still very...”

Written on: 23/12/2002 by Phil. (1 review written)

I bought my 702e in last april, and i'm still very satisfied of my purchase. I got a pair of Mission 760i for over 8 years, and they still work like new, that influenced me to buy Mission speakers again… Read Full Review

Mission 702e

“After having a pair of Mission 700s for 2 years, I...”

Written on: 14/12/2002 by Andy Walker. (1 review written)

After having a pair of Mission 700s for 2 years, I decided to upgrade. I purchased a Yamaha DSP-AX620 amplifier and a pair of Mission 702e speakers. On first hearing the speakers I was totally impressed. They sounded much better than the 700s, with the bass output being considerably higher and the treble being much more defined. I now have the 700s as rears, and am totally impressed when running the amp in stereo, and DD modes. However, as with the 700s, the speakers couldn't reach their full… Read Full Review

Mission 702e

“These front firing speakers are great if you have a...”

Written on: 12/12/2002 by Will. (1 review written)

These front firing speakers are great if you have a versatile room, where you can position them correctly, but if you have a restricted room, then these will not sound as good. However, sound quality is better than the replacements (m73's) if you position them just right. Also you cannot expect these speakers to give a good quality of sound if you wire them up to a 30wpc amp. Give them a chance to impress with a powerful amp. Bi-wiring is definitely a massive improvement on these speakers, and… Read Full Review

Mission 702e

“The Mission 702e speakers represent excellent value...”

Written on: 22/08/2002 by Dave. (1 review written)

The Mission 702e speakers represent excellent value for money in the budget sector.

Despite what other reviews may say, it's quite clear that with their high sensitivity (89db/m), 702e's are perfect for fairly low powered amps. I use them with a bi-amp Technics, kicking out a measly 30w RMS per channel and I can certainly say they are huge improvement over my Celestion F3's which cost a fair bit more!
If you're in the market for a lot of speaker for your money then Mission 700 series speakers… Read Full Review

93567_Bassdominator.'s Response to 34228_Dave.'s Review

Written on: 30/04/2003

Thinking laterally rather than just praising mission.
<br>
<br>Bi amping 4 separate channels to these speakers will result in the speakers receiving 60 watts each!!!
<br>Bose technical helpdesk
<br>
<br>PS mission are great, I have 705's (front), 702e (rear) 70c3 (centre) and a Yamaha DSP amplifier, and it cracks the paint on my walls! Carry on mission

Mission 702e

“These Mission 702e speakers are WELL made, SOUND great...”

Written on: 30/07/2002 by Corky. (1 review written)

These Mission 702e speakers are WELL made, SOUND great and LOOK the business....though if you have bundles of cash then yes, there are better floorstanders to be had.....But not at this price!!!!! (i have these coupled with a sony subwoofer which i believe helps them along in the bass department)… Read Full Review

Mission 702e

“Mission 702e speaker specs: ”

Written on: 02/06/2002 by Matt. (1 review written)

Mission 702e speaker specs:
85cm high (without spikes)
21.5 Wide
28cm deep

(Measurements from my speakers)

These speakers boast 100 watt @ 8ohms and are built to the high quality that you'd come to expect from mission.
Perfect for Dance and Rock music, they also deliver good imagery and clarity when used with the right components. i would recommend bi-wiring and if your budget allows, bi-amping this will make your new missions really shine, whether it be Marilyn Manson or Celene Deon. You're… Read Full Review

Mission 702e

“These Mission 702e's are great loudspeakers but they...”

Written on: 18/04/2002 by ghislaine. (1 review written)

These Mission 702e's are great loudspeakers but they need a good quality amplifier AND good interconnects/cables to get the sound you are looking for! I tried them first with two smaller amplifiers and was very disappointed with the terrible noise they produced. But after connecting them to my Harman Kardon 150 w amplifier, placing them higher in the room and experimenting with different cables, these speakers prove to be extremely musical...
And notice the recent absurd price at richer : euro… Read Full Review