Volkswagen Polo 1.4 S Reviews

Volkswagen Polo 1.4 S - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Volkswagen Polo 1.4 S

Volkswagen Polo 1.4 S
Volkswagen Polo 1.4 S

“My 1.4 S Polo, with a full service history, was an...”

Written on: 07/09/2010

My 1.4 S Polo, with a full service history, was an excellent choice. I have owned and loved this car for two years now, and it has not let me down once. During my ownership, I have had the front wheel bearings replaced, the alternator belt, two tyres and a door lock (which someone had evidently abused) replaced. That's it. The body work is in great condition, even though it is kept outdoors. Built like a battleship and runs consistently at 43 to 44 miles per gallon (including frequent hill… Read Full Review

“This review is based on my 1996 Volkswagen Polo 1.4 SE...”

Written on: 29/10/2006 by keithrose44 (1 review written)

This review is based on my 1996 Volkswagen Polo 1.4 SE 3 door which I bought new in October 1996. Having run the car for 10 years now I feel I know the strengths and weaknesses fairly well, hence this review is quite long.

Although a conservative and rather plain boxy little car the 1995 updated Polo was important for VW as it surprised the market and helped raise the standards of small cars from mostly tinny shopping carts to a new refined "super mini" status with a ride quality previously… Read Full Review

Mwe152's Response to keithrose44's Review

Written on: 31/10/2006

German build quality? I thought all Volkswagen Polo's from about 1987 onwards were built in Pamplona, Spain?

Keithrose44's Response to keithrose44's Review

Written on: 18/09/2010

Final update:
<br/>
<br/>My trusty Polo marched on till 2008 when it was replaced with a Seat.
<br/>
<br/>A couple of things started to fail at the 11 year mark: The thermostat housing split and needed replacing &pound;95 ind and after a 2 week hol abroad i started the car to be welcomed by a strong petrol smell as a fuel line had split near the clip. The drivers window stuck again but i had learned the trick of pulling the motor from the gearbox, turning it, and putting it back. After this it was fine. The rear wash motor failed but a &pound;12 2nd hand replacement was sorced on Ebay which also solved the wash nozzle problem. The rust on the rear arch lips kept coming back and was a pain really to keep touching in. The brake performance also started to drop off in the later years dispite replacing the discs etc.
<br/>
<br/>Overall it was a good car, not really outstanding, but safe and as good as anything around at the time. The early versions are now "old bangers :-)" and can be picked up for a few hundred pounds. The 8v 1.4 was perhaps a touch slow when compared to the 16 valve version.
<br/>
<br/>Sold mine private in 2008 with around 38k miles, 1 owner & a full service history for &pound;2000, not bad for an 12 yr old car.

Susan Day's Response to keithrose44's Review

Written on: 31/10/2006

A very well written and interesting review based on ten years! Wow.
<br/>
<br/>Great German engineering and solid little car, and lasts better than most others.
<br/>
<br/>I drove a 1997 1.4 cl Volkswagen Polo for just under 3 years. I purchased the car in 2000, and despite a high mileage, I found it to be very reliable. I found the performance to be OK, and the only time I thought it struggled was when it was loaded up with some of my mates, but a couple are BIG girls. (sorry ladies).
<br>
<br/>I agree that VW dealerships can rip you off! I put mine in once for a 60,000 mile service and MOT. A phone call an hour later told me I was going to need a new exhaust, some wiper blades and a couple of bulbs to pass the test. When I picked it up I was hit with a £496 bill! Not nice. When the next service was due I went to a local garage, and I was only charged £127, which was more like it, so be warned.
<br/>
<br/>Before the CL I drove an older 1988 1.0 L Polo and the step up was amazing, with the later car feeling much sturdier and solid. It felt like it was going to last forever, but unfortunately in late 2002 I was hit hard up the back by someone in a van whilst waiting at a roundabout. The car took the bang well and I walked away unhurt, but my little Polo was written off. I replaced it with a 2001 Fiat Punto, which although feels sportier to drive, it is more plasticy and less classy, giving me the impression it will not last as long.
<br>
<br/>I would buy another VW, although I have probably outgrown the Polo and think I would look chic in a bright yellow Beetle! Somehow I don't think my bank manager will agree.

“Purchased a Volkswagen Polo in 2004 with 30,000km. ...”

Written on: 20/02/2006 by sander31 (1 review written)

Purchased a Volkswagen Polo in 2004 with 30,000km. Have since travelled 10,000km in 2 years.

A great package ruined by issues such as:

2 starter motors
Ignition switch
Side mirror switch
Exhaust leaks and vibrates
passenger window magically goes down at random
Gearbox won't go into reverse

My next car will be Japanese… Read Full Review

“The Volkswagen Polo 1.4 S City Car is typical of a...”

Written on: 12/05/2005 by ollieandyjackson (1 review written)

The Volkswagen Polo 1.4 S City Car is typical of a german engineered car, with excellent build quality and superb ride for such a small car. Looks slightly agressive with the square front lights but is subtle enough not to draw too much attention. (Unlike those awfully tarted up, clapped out Corsa's you see with their huge exhausts which although sound nice have no 'go' at all) A fantastic first or second buy for young drivers, enjoy as you sit quietly at traffic lights along side one of these… Read Full Review

Tomdickharry's Response to 192977_ollieandyjackson's Review

Written on: 14/11/2005

The 1.4 polo has to be one of the most underpowered, slowest 1400 small car around, despite being otherwise a good small car, the lack of power is sufficiant to put me off purchasing another. You could buy a 1600 or 2000, but do you want the added fuel and insurance costs? better of buying a different make of a similar size with a bit more go!

“I share an 'R' Reg Volkswagen Polo (1997/8) 1300cc...”

Written on: 15/11/2004 by Vish R (6 reviews written)

I share an 'R' Reg Volkswagen Polo (1997/8) 1300cc (1.4 L) with my dad. It has done about 49,000 miles on the clock.

Picked it up for about £2300 from Ilford.

Very nice motor. Good for the First time driver, even better for women or short/small men. Unfortunately, I am a large person, so this car can be uncomfortable on long trips.

The fuel, brake and cluth pedals are small and close together, so If you have large feet, Beware.

Had it for about a year now and although my model came with no… Read Full Review

Tomdickharry's Response to Vish R's Review

Written on: 14/11/2005

I have found the polo nothing but slow and underpowerd, sufficiantly so to put me off buying anouther otherwise good polo

☆☆☆☆☆

“Piston coating wear on engine, car under 3 years old...”

Written on: 16/06/2003 by stella. (1 review written)

Piston coating wear on engine, car under 3 years old 23,000 miles. This is not an uncommon problem with the VW Polo 1.4 S, apparently according to another website VW are replacing 2-3 engines per week! I bought a VW as I thought it would be reliable how wrong I was… Read Full Review

Tomdickharry's Response to stella.'s Review

Written on: 14/11/2005

The polo is a disappointment, they are so slow and clumsy, though body build is good. do not try to get anywhere in a hurry in one!

“The VW Polo 1.4s is probably good german engineering...”

Written on: 14/02/2002 by chas. (1 review written)

The VW Polo 1.4s is probably good german engineering but I am not too bothered about that. All modern cars are good its just that some are better than others. I only keep my cars for three years and all the cars I have had have been good for that period of time. This one I thought would have good performance but I have been sorely disappointed… Read Full Review

31628_Jd.'s Response to 12795_chas.'s Review

Written on: 02/08/2002

If you want more power why not buy the 1.4 16V or the 1.6?

Tomdickharry's Response to 12795_chas.'s Review

Written on: 14/11/2005

I totally agree, the polo has to be one of the slowest cars out there, compared with simular sized 1400s. The polo is painfully underpowered compared to All other 1400s I have driven. Why be forced to by a 1600 when you want the economy of a 1400? I doubt the 1600 would be any quicker than most 1400s of other makes!

Keithrose's Response to 12795_chas.'s Review

Written on: 30/11/2004

A 1.4 Polo is simply not a sports car, my manual keeps up with traffic and will cruise at 80mph.
<br>With an auto box you would have been better off buying the 1.6 ltr.

“In Australia only one model Polo is available - the...”

Written on: 05/11/2001 by Adam from Oz. (1 review written)

In Australia only one model Polo is available - the Polo 1.4 16V. It comes with all options from air to alloy wheels and electric windows.

The car feels substantial and of very high quality (except for squeak in dash which I am assured will be rectified).

Love its dashboard, the blue lighting and texture of the plastics are superb. Steering wheel too thin.

Boot size adequate but 60:40 split rear seats difficult to fold due to rear headrests.

CD stereo has no rear speakers.

Air-conditioning… Read Full Review

34646_Witchfinder.'s Response to Adam from Oz.'s Review

Written on: 24/08/2002

It's fiddly at first, but once you've done it a couple of times, you can remove the rear headrests and replace them with ease. Seat folding then becomes a minor problem.

Tomdickharry's Response to Adam from Oz.'s Review

Written on: 14/11/2005

Polos are so underpowered in my experience.

Alig.'s Response to Adam from Oz.'s Review

Written on: 29/10/2002

Not too sure about the Aussie model but I've never had a problem with the electric window buttons on my 1.4 16v ,on the dash either side of the ash tray and the ventilation controls are centrally placed on the dash so no chance of the gear stick getting in their way there.
Had a squeaky dash on mine as well but that's been fixed and the cars a little cracker, exceptionally responsive and the gear box is anything but clunky.

“Great looking small car with plenty of room in the...”

Written on: 17/03/2001 by Gillian. (1 review written)

Great looking small car with plenty of room in the boot. Good upholstery and materials used… Read Full Review

Tomdickharry's Response to 1288_Gillian.'s Review

Written on: 14/11/2005

The polo is sooo underpowered and slow in comparason to other makes