Panasonic DMR-HS2 Reviews

Main Features
Recording media DVD+R/RW

Features:
  • Built-in 40 GB hard drive, IEEE 1394 digital video input
  • Hybrid VBR (variable bit rate) technology lets you record up to 6 hours on a single-sided DVD-RAM disc
  • Time Slip lets you watch from the beginning a program whose recording is still in progress
  • Progressive-scan video output for film-like images on high-definition and HD-ready TVs
  • Plays DVD-Video, DVD-R, DVD-RAM, music CDs, CD-Rs, CD-RWs, and JPEG image CDs
  • Refine your search

Panasonic DMR-HS2

“I bought the Panasonic DMR-HS2 last year to tape the...”

Written on: 30/10/2005 by Anthrakas (3 reviews written)

I bought the Panasonic DMR-HS2 last year to tape the Olympics and never looked back since, it replaces the VCR completely plus gives more than ever imagined.

Setup:
    Easy, it plugs to TV via a scart then you stick the Sky box. With 4 av ports, I use it with Sky and VCR, It might be a bit spaghetti incident behind the tv stand but that's what you get with many boxes.

Best use:
    With Ext Link on AV2 it will auto record all auto view programs on Sky, so no Sky Plus is needed. It will also record… Read Full Review

Panasonic DMR-HS2

“I have acquired one of these new Panasonic DMR-HS2 DVD...”

Written on: 02/03/2004 by lockeam (1 review written)

I have acquired one of these new Panasonic DMR-HS2 DVD Recorders because of what they are capabe of. Being able to record my old vids and sat programmes onto a hard drive, then down to a dvd-r disc is great news.

sure, there are many areas in which this player could be improved but it just reminds me of the first video recorders and what they meant to me when they first come out.

expect to pay at least 500 squid for a mutli-region player right now… Read Full Review

Lobo's Response to 145901_lockeam's Review

Written on: 07/04/2004

Yes---This is a very good recorder but as we have found out here at Lobo Films, expect to burn 1x and 2x blank media ONLY.

Panasonic DMR-HS2

“Okay, first things first...why did I buy this machine? ”

Written on: 15/05/2003 by Gilbertworld. (1 review written)

Okay, first things first...why did I buy this machine?

In short I wanted a DVD recorder for several reasons, mainly:
    Archive of videos (home and VHS only titles)
    To get top quality recordings (what's the point of recording Sky digital onto VHS?)
    To edit and create my own compilation DVDs (Simpsons, Cold Feet etc)
    So does it do all this? YES...and some!!
    Brief look at the Features:
    6 hrs at EP
    Up to 52 hours… Read Full Review

111479_Gilbertworld.'s Response to Gilbertworld.'s Review

Written on: 29/06/2003

Following on from my review (above) - I have encountered a problem with this machine.
    I appear to have lip synch problems when watching normal television through my Panasonic. A small problem to some - but HIGHLY annoying to me.
    After research on various forums across the net, I found it to be a complaint that a number of DMR-HS2 users have found.
    In defence of Panasonic, after telephoning them to tell them of my problem, they took my details down and are sending a carrier round to collect my unit for return to base repair (or replacement with another unit if you prefer). I went for the repair option as my unit is not that old and I didnt want to be palmed off with a 'year old refurbished' model !
    Details of the telephone number are on Panasonics website for users encountering this problem too.
    I will write again to review the service level I received from Panasonic when my machine comes back.
    In the meantime - I have reduced my rating to 5 stars - WATCH THIS SPACE !

Paulsjenn's Response to Gilbertworld.'s Review

Written on: 02/03/2004

Just visited sound and vision shop and it seems that, the prices instore are the same as the web price however, the only problem is availabilty. They didn\'t have the panasonic e-100 in stock or toshiba rdxs30.
    <br>
    <br>Am considering the Pioneer DVR5100HS as this has timeslip as well but supports -rw not -ram.
    <br>
    <br>empiredirect is owned by the same group who own empire stores, although both are seperate companies, so if you buy from http://www.empiredirect.co.uk you have to deal with them directly. you cannot take your product back to an empire stores near to where you live.
    <br>
    <br>both Empire stores and empire direct were willing to price match sound and vision on both the panasionic e100 and the pioneer 5100.

Paulsjenn's Response to Gilbertworld.'s Review

Written on: 02/03/2004

hi.
    <br>
    <br>been shopping around and found a place online
    <br>http://www.soundandvisiononline.com/snv/retailoutlet.asp
    <br>
    <br>check out the prices. Upto £250 off top of the range models.
    <br>
    <br>They don\'t do online finance but you can buy direct online. Can\'t find anywhere cheaper. Even compared their prices against empire direct.co.uk and ep can\'t compete. Funnily enough, phoned ep up and they offered to price match but wouldn\'t give interest free credit.
    <br>
    <br>at those prices, thinking of getting the e100. 200 more but at that sales price, worth it.
    <br>
    <br>Thanks for your reply mate.

Written on: 25/02/2004

Dabs ? Shop around ! The current price is around £499.00 or maybe less.

Written on: 25/02/2004

For PaulJenn,
    <br>
    <br>No mate, the machine has no firewire connection, only s-video, phono or scart. :(
    <br>
    <br>Also, its worth mentioning that I also have Panasonics D521 DVD drive for my PC. Being the same brand, I thought I could record on one, watch on another etc...
    <br>
    <br>WRONG ! It is possible to record on the DMR-HS2EBS and play on the pc (with a bit of fiddling and re-labelling of file extensions etc., but to date I have found no way to record on PC and play on the DMR-HS2EBS.
    <br>
    <br>Perhaps someone out there would be kind enough to give some pointers to people who have bought both machines as to how to do this. :) Please !?!
    <br>
    <br>Oh, and one more thing I have tried since my original review. I have composed a DVD slideshow with music and everything and burned this to a DVD-R with my Panasonic DVD burner on PC. All is well when I come to play back on my DMR-HS2EBS. However, the machine won't even recognise the disk when this slideshow is recorded onto a DVD-RAM. :(
    <br>
    <br>This is a pain, cause I don't wanna keep these slideshows forever, I'm just showing friends/family and then want to record over them. DVD-R's ain't cheap you know Panasonic !

Pauljenn's Response to Gilbertworld.'s Review

Hi.
    <br>
    <br>Found your review very useful as am thinking of buying this model from dabs.co.uk.
    <br>
    <br>can you hook this machine up to the pc through firewire?

For Toreador,
    <br>
    <br>There is no benefit from watching tv through the DVD recorder, but (and I dont know about your setup obviously) when I switch your machine on, the tv automatically switches to the DVD input scart and thus if you dont want to watch tv through your DVD machine, then you have to keep changing back to normal tv again ! You may also find (like I did) that programs you have recorded might be affected by the lip synch problem.
    <br>
    <br>Hope this makes sense :)

HI,
    <br>
    <br>As a follow-up to my last review, Panasonic were very efficient at picking up my unit A courier was sent within a couple of days.
    <br>
    <br>The problem I had getting the unit back was another story though. It was probably out of my hands for nearly three weeks if memory serves me right. Each time I called, I was met by the same response... "Oh the engineer is looking at it now for you...."
    <br>
    <br>When I was told the same thing three days later, they admitted that the engineer hadnt even looked at it yet - and the person who said otherwise shouldnt have said that etc...etc...
    <br>
    <br>My advice ? As always - Get a name so you can kick their ass later if needs be!!!!!
    <br>
    <br>Anyways, the unit has shown some slight improvement with the lip synch thing, but is not perfect, although I am a bit of a perfectionist to be honest. If you're not as fussy as me - then by all means get one of these machines :)
    <br>
    <br>Oh, in answer to the query above, my machine was made multi-region by the web-retailer and Panasonic have no problem with that - providing you have no problems associated with the region coding part of the machine, then they might snivvel and say its not within warranty - but as I say, I had no problems tbh :)

Toreador's Response to Gilbertworld.'s Review

Written on: 18/02/2004

Great review, many thanks. One question: is there much to be gained from watching TV through the DVD recorder? I'm thinking of buying a multiregion-ised unit, so probably wouldn't be able to return it to Panasonic if the lip sync problem flared up...

The Beacon's Response to Gilbertworld.'s Review

Written on: 16/12/2003

Hi I have just rear your review and found it VERY helpful as I am planing to buy a DVD recorder in the next few days
    <br>Thanks
    <br>Michael

Panasonic DMR-HS2

“A very good but expensive way to put the VHS away. ”

Written on: 24/03/2003 by thunderstorm. (1 review written)

A very good but expensive way to put the VHS away.
    that's what I awaited for a long day.
    40GB Harddisk is enough to put a lot of things on it. Whatever I want to have in future, writing DVD-Ram or when collegues want to watch it too put it on DVD-R.
    JUST GREAT!… Read Full Review

☆☆☆☆☆
    Panasonic DMR-HS2

“This machine Panasonic DMR-HS2 has a HDD and DVD...”

Written on: 10/03/2003 by jenko. (1 review written)

This machine Panasonic DMR-HS2 has a HDD and DVD drive/recorder built in.
    The recording sequence is to record your information to the HDD and if required burn it to the DVD disc.
    Works great from free to air information but the above sequence does NOT work when recording from DVD movies because of the built in Macrovision protection. This short fall makes it one very expensive machine to record TV shows… Read Full Review

Broad Marsh.'s Response to 78944_jenko.'s Review

Written on: 11/04/2003

Completely disagree with the comments from this reviewer. Suggest he reads what can be done with it and not you cannot do. No DVD recorder will record from DVDs without copy protection removal electronics

Anthrakas's Response to 78944_jenko.'s Review

Written on: 30/10/2005

Review is on assumed use of the machine and not on what the machine is sold for. Do not buy this machine if you think you can copy DVD's with it.

Jhkelly's Response to 78944_jenko.'s Review

Written on: 13/11/2004

I bought one of the first DMR-HS2s that came off the line and I've had problems with recording quality from older home VHS tapes recorded with a camera. You know how the auto aperture and level control in the older cameras "jumps" when a brighter object comes into the picture? This DMR-HS2 I have accentuates this making it umbearable to watch. I borrowed a later version of the same model and it did not have this problem. Panasonic service claims there are no upgrades - I don't belive them. Making a DVD recording of a factory-recorded VHS tape (non-copy guarded) works fantastic!

Ashleylongley's Response to 78944_jenko.'s Review

Written on: 15/10/2004

I've had mine for a while now and still think it's the mutt's nuts. Record quality 2nd to none. Would say only restriction is dvd-r and ram only.

Ashleylongley's Response to 78944_jenko.'s Review

Written on: 15/10/2004

Shanestrong's Response to 78944_jenko.'s Review

Written on: 19/03/2004

I bought one of these machines last week and it's been fantastic. I still think i'm watching the TV when i'm actualy watching a recording.
    <br>Most films on DVD are eventualy aired on digital stellite anyway, so just wait and record it from them! If, unlike me, you watch the same film over and over again why dont you think of a legal copy as an investment. I like factual programmes and documentaries so this machine is perfect for me, I can archive to RAM or record to DVD-R and give to a friend. Like another reviewer said, take a look at what it DOES do and not what it doesnt, I love editing out ads and its a piece of cake.You can even record soaps in the background while watching something interesting and then burn it to DVD so your missus can watch it when your not around...these machines are soooo complicated darling..ill record it for you !!
    <br>My verdict...buy one today and throw your VHS recorder in the bin (It will be in a museum soon anyway) The japanese can now store hours and hours of high quality video on a credit card size compact flash device.

113663_Bonzo Banana.'s Response to 78944_jenko.'s Review

Written on: 07/07/2003

Its not macrovision stopping recording dvds as thats for stopping video recorders (tape type). Its another form of protection that actually informs the dvd recorder not to record the dvd. Its a flag thats encrypted into hidden areas of the image I believe. If the flag is there it shouldn't record. Panasonic have to obide by this.

102613_Lyndon.'s Response to 78944_jenko.'s Review

Written on: 30/05/2003

Fair comment. Isn't copying pre-recorded DVDs illegal, anyway?