Nokia 8290 Reviews

• Style

Nokia 8290 - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Nokia 8290

Nokia 8290

“I have service with T-Mobile and prefer using my Nokia...”

Written on: 20/07/2003 by JeffB62. (1 review written)

I have service with T-Mobile and prefer using my Nokia 8290. Recenlty, I've stopped getting service with the 8290 except when I'm in my vehicle when it appears to pick up the signal but everywhere else, I get no service. I also have a 3390 and when I change the SIM card to the 3390, reception is fine everywhere I go meaning that it's not my service or provider. Something has apparently come loose in my 8290 but I've no clue where to start. I refuse to pay for a replacement as the 3390 is an… Read Full Review

Nokia 8290

“Nokia has recalled some newer 8290's, but I had mine...”

Written on: 26/01/2003 by David. (1 review written)

Nokia has recalled some newer 8290's, but I had mine too long to qualify. Some repair outlets have a repair kit for $45.00 to fix the problem. I recommend a couple accessories to ensure satisfaction. 1) Check online and find the carry case that looks like an eyeglass case. It holds the phone horizontally on your belt, thereby eliminating the forces on it when you sit down and stops it from popping off your belt. 2) Get the accessory that has a sliding cover over the keypad. It is easy to bump… Read Full Review

Nokia 8290

“This phone is very handy, because of it's small size...”

Written on: 18/01/2003 by yelreda. (1 review written)

This phone is very handy, because of it's small size and light weight. It's just a great phone, like all Nokias are. But the screen problem seems to be a common issue on this phone. I bought this phone used from e-bay, and I did not experience the phone when the screen was working. I don't know how long it took the phone to start having problems with the screen, but it looked like an 8 - 12 months old phone. The screen scrambles or goes off. The cause of that problem is the screen itself. The… Read Full Review

Nokia 8290

“I echo the complaints of other reviewers about the...”

Written on: 24/08/2002 by Mustafa. (1 review written)

I echo the complaints of other reviewers about the display on the Nokia 8290 mobile phone. After several months of usage, the LCD either goes off completely (while the phone still functions -- of course if you can do the hard work of using the phone blind-folded) or displays some garbage. It sounds like a contact problem between the board and LCD. Like another reviewer said, keeping it in your pocket seems to give rise to flaky display. I have also seen higher temperature conditions like direct… Read Full Review

Wanabe_Potter.'s Response to 34521_Mustafa.'s Review

Written on: 04/11/2002

I have three 8290 with the same lcd display problem. Your review is right on the money.

Mrbios's Response to 34521_Mustafa.'s Review

Written on: 01/12/2003

Great review, I have same problem with blank screen. www.wecandobetter.com/reviews.html. Just started about a month ago. Phone is used daily and is just over 2 yrs old.

79877_Pbarrette.'s Response to 34521_Mustafa.'s Review

Written on: 14/03/2003

Hi all,
<br>
<br>I've had my Nokia 8290 for almost 3 years now. The display started going out after about 1-1/2 years. The first time, I opened up the case and reseated the LCD screen. This fixed my problem for about 6 months.
<br><br><BR>
<br>After that it started giving me garbage on the screen, mostly by shifting the display to the left or right. It looked like an alignment problem, so I started pushing the screen up/down/left/right until I hit the sweet spot, but that method only worked for a few hours at a time.
<br><br><BR>
<br>Since that method wasn't working, I started playing with it some more. This time around, I noticed that it only seemed to happen when there was pressure being put on the faceplate. So, X-Acto knfe in hand (It was out of warranty, so why not), I shaved down the rubber grommet around the display to give it some more breating room. Again the display sprang back to life for about 2 months, but then stopped working.
<br><br><BR>
<br>Now I have the opposite problem. The display only works when I put excessive pressure on the faceplate, just above the LCD where the contacts are. So, I cut out a rubber shim from an old bicycle inner tube and placed it above the LCD between the metal housing and the faceplate. So now I only have to push in on the faceplate with minimal force to get the display working.
<br><br><BR>
<br>I think it's time to buy a replacement LCD on ebay.
<br>pb

8290 Fixa.'s Response to 34521_Mustafa.'s Review

Written on: 27/02/2003

I've fixed my 8290 twice now. Seems to be great now, but ask me again in 8 weeks.
See here for details: http://www.icellulartelephones.com/wwwboard/messages/1799.shtml

66046_Steve.'s Response to 34521_Mustafa.'s Review

Written on: 17/01/2003

Same problem - I had 2 failed phones with displays that went blank after 6 to 12 month. Very frustrating, as the phone was very convenient to carry in the pocket and had no other problems.

Nokia 8290

“I love this Nokia 8290 mobile phone because it's small...”

Written on: 30/07/2002 by dman. (1 review written)

I love this Nokia 8290 mobile phone because it's small enough to fit in my jeans pocket. My friends always end up using my phone because theirs was too big to haul around. No silly belt clip needed. The voice activated dialling will let you record names and then when it recognizes you saying the name, it will call that number. It doesn't recognize the names if you record with the handfree and then try to recall the name without the handfree, or vice versa. I am very happy with this phone… Read Full Review

Nokia 8290

“Overall the Nokia 8290 is not a bad mobile phone, just...”

Written on: 11/06/2002 by Dana. (1 review written)

Overall the Nokia 8290 is not a bad mobile phone, just like any other Nokia. It has all the needed features: easy to navigate within, good clarity. However, in comparison to the other phones on the market now, I would have to say there are much more stylish phones available. I would not get this phone simply because of the screen problem. It is a commom flaw. Good phone but is not worth the hassle of replacing every time the screen goes… Read Full Review

Nokia 8290

“I don't think that the Nokia 8290 mobile phone is...”

Written on: 04/06/2002 by Ricky. (1 review written)

I don't think that the Nokia 8290 mobile phone is worth it… Read Full Review

Nokia 8290

“I have had the Nokia 8290 mobile phone for a little...”

Written on: 07/04/2002 by bean. (1 review written)

I have had the Nokia 8290 mobile phone for a little over a year and have been happy with it most of the time. The reception is good, sound is clear, use is easy. This telephone has problems with the screen. The screen started to go at about the eleventh month, it is still hanging in there, but I know that it will go all the way soon. I understand that this phone is notorious for this problem. Do not buy it… Read Full Review

“”

Written on: 22/03/2002 by Aaron. (1 review written)

When I first saw the Nokia 8290 mobile phone, I knew I had to have one. I was upgrading from a 6190 and was drawn to the 8290 because of its small size and predictive text messaging. After about 6-months with the phone, the display flaked out.

It seems that keeping the phone in my pocket causes the display to fail. I have several friends with this phone that have complained about the same problem. However, my girlfriend has had her 8290 for over a year and has not had a single problem. My… Read Full Review

Nokia 8290

“I loved this Nokia 8290 mobile phone for about 6...”

Written on: 07/03/2002 by Chris. (1 review written)

I loved this Nokia 8290 mobile phone for about 6 months and it betrayed me. The screen messed up and I could not read anything on the screen. Eventually the screen was blank. Voicestream sent me another one and after 1 week the screen totally went blank on it as well. I would not recommend this phone to ANYONE… Read Full Review

Nokia 8290

“I love this Nokia 8290 mobile phone, I am now spoiled...”

Written on: 01/03/2002 by Dan. (1 review written)

I love this Nokia 8290 mobile phone, I am now spoiled and will never be able to have a large phone again. I recommend it to anyone. Just make sure you have a good coverage area. Try having them allow you to 'try it out' for three days or so, and then come back and make your decision whether to keep the service or not. VoiceStream also gave me the phone at no extra cost… Read Full Review

Nokia 8290

“It's reception is terrible. I keep switching back to...”

Written on: 23/05/2001 by Arana. (1 review written)

It's reception is terrible. I keep switching back to my Nokia 6190. My friend knew I had switched to the 8290 after the first few minutes on the phone with her. She complained that she could barely here me… Read Full Review

6571_G..'s Response to 2243_Arana.'s Review

Written on: 02/12/2001

It would be helpful to know what city and with what service provider users are rating. We have no idea what type of service is being used, digital, analog, etc., and whether Sprint, for example, has a problem and Voicestream does not.

Nokia 8290

“Overall, the Nokia 8290 mobile phone is great, signal...”

Written on: 17/05/2001 by debster. (1 review written)

Overall, the Nokia 8290 mobile phone is great, signal strength is great, has never let me down. I wish it had analog capability only because voicestream totally lacks digital coverage in our coastal range. I could have went with AT&T but voicestream gave me a better deal… Read Full Review

Nokia 8290

“I didn't expect to like the phone (low ring volume,...”

Written on: 16/03/2001 by RABL. (1 review written)

I didn't expect to like the phone (low ring volume, like all Nokia phones), but the more I use it, the more I like it. I've had it for 3 1/2 months & it is growing on me all the time… Read Full Review