Citroen AX GT Reviews

Citroen AX GT - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Citroen AX GT

Citroen AX GT
Citroen AX GT

“incredible nice looking and fast Car. ”

Written on: 26/04/2010

incredible nice looking and fast Car.
Much more tought than it looks.
It's like duracel... goes and goes...etc.
Very fast, corners well, light and resistant.
surprises when driven hard.
Best value for money… Read Full Review

“Light responsive/nippy ,comftable very very fun to...”

Written on: 11/02/2008

Light responsive/nippy ,comftable very very fun to muck about in , spongy brakes ,good econ great at 1st cars but easy car to get carried away in as a young driver. Keep an eye on rust .... the police don't leave you alone they all tell you to scrap it an it ain't worth the money to fix it and stuff, they just treat you like a boy racer but to be honest driving them you cant help but blitz it through the little backroads and marshlanes… Read Full Review

“It handles like a go-kart and sticks to the road like...”

Written on: 05/08/2007 by flatdaz (1 review written)

It handles like a go-kart and sticks to the road like a fly. Engine parts and a few other bits are easy to get hold of as the 106 xs is the same car underneath and the cars weight is like a feather. Cheap tax, cheap insurance - what more could you want from a hot hatch? Get one now whilst they are cheap and look after it for a investment… Read Full Review

“The Citroen AX GT is a great cheap car to whizz about...”

Written on: 18/04/2007 by tez2284 (1 review written)

The Citroen AX GT is a great cheap car to whizz about in, but would recommend a break upgrade as they just don't feel safe at anything over 30 mph, the car is great on fuel as I've found out. This car will beat most cars up to 1.8 litre as it has excellent acceleration and great handling in the twisties, so all round it's a great little car for just getting you from a to b, or thrashing it down your local back roads… Read Full Review

“I have a Citroen AX GT 500 and was wondering if anyone...”

Written on: 12/02/2006 by tompaltridge (1 review written)

I have a Citroen AX GT 500 and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice regarding engines. I'm looking into putting a 1587cc TU series Saxo VTR block ino the car. I have seen other GT's with this conversion but running on carbs (twin webber 40's i believe?) so do you swap the MPi head from the VTR with the existing GT head from my 1360cc engine? Will they fit? If you can run that set up, do the webbers require a specialist manifold/custom made? one last thing, does anyone know if a… Read Full Review

268029_Studleymick's Response to 229691_tompaltridge's Review

Written on: 22/11/2006

Alright mate, I'm currently in the middle of doing the same thing. I've got a 1.6 VTR black top with all ancillaries; also a 1.6 VTR silver top bottom end, and I have fitted a spare AX GT head to it. I bought a head gasket for a VTR cast bottom end aluminium head, lined up all the oil ways on the head and block to make sure they all lined up, which they do. Torqued the head down, fitted a 1.6 timing belt as shorter than 1.4 one's, which I found a bit backwards, but there you go. Turned the engine over several times to check that oil comes up through the block through the rocker arms, which it did, fitted all my AX GT distributor cap coil and thermostat and fuel pump. Fitted AX GT twin choke manifold and carb.
<br/>
<br/>That's as far as I've got so far. I'm gonna run the engine up on my engine stand to see if all is OK. When accomplished, I'll find out what gearbox I will need, as I'm gonna put a 4 stud conversion off a Saxo on. Then get the carb rejetted, and there you go.
<br>Michael

“Brill fun. My Citroen AX GT had a genuine 40 thousand...”

Written on: 11/01/2006 by teadse (1 review written)

Brill fun. My Citroen AX GT had a genuine 40 thousand on the clock and at a time was mint until my mate ran it up another car! Was the fastest standard about with just backbox and K and N filter was beatin 306 XSi 2.5 Vectras and chasing 306 GTi6 and Rallys very closely. Another was I was side by side with a 206 GTi not the 180 all the way up to 105 then it creept away. So in all this is quick and feels faster because it's a wee mover. Every lad must have 1 it's greatly satisfying… Read Full Review

“I've been driving just over 2 years now and I've owned...”

Written on: 05/10/2005 by gavshere (1 review written)

I've been driving just over 2 years now and I've owned an Escort and 2 Citroen AX GT's and now on my third. I can't stop driving them, no matter what car I'm in or driving I cant wait till I get back in one. At the moment I've got a fully kitted and modified red AX GT, it looks the dogs. I get so much attention from the car that it's starting to annoy me. if I were asked what car to buy it would most definitely be my first recommendation, just keep an eye on it and get it serviced and you… Read Full Review

“This Citroen AX GT was an excelent buy for 250 pound...”

Written on: 06/01/2005 by Rickmaggs (1 review written)

This Citroen AX GT was an excelent buy for 250 pound and to fully recondition the engine due to a blown head gasket was time consuming but not difficult at a cost of £103, but as a result I have a good runner for £353 and would recommend this car to anyone willing to put a bit of work into it… Read Full Review

“I have owned 2 Citroen ax gts now. I have a gt500 now...”

Written on: 30/06/2004 by tomcurtis321 (1 review written)

I have owned 2 Citroen ax gts now. I have a gt500 now and they are miles better than the standard ax gt. I have had the head gasket go but what do you expect it's 13 years old. Also I have had to replace the driveshafts and cv joints but is worth it to see the look on the 205 gti boys and most other boy racers to that matter. The only things that do my ax are the big boys in there 200bhp turbos. In my opinion they are the most fun to drive and are cheap to get parts for and run. The only… Read Full Review

“Ive owned 2 Citroen AX GT and they are little beautys....”

Written on: 21/01/2004 by Davchat (2 reviews written)

Ive owned 2 Citroen AX GT and they are little beautys. I may have to go for a third! Even though occasionally they can be known to break down when they do go they GO! Acceleration from 0-60 is unreal for such a small and it never seems to stop accelerating! Watch out for the handling though. Great little car, go out and give it a good hammering, trust me you will love it!… Read Full Review

Speedfreak19's Response to Davchat's Review

Written on: 04/02/2004

I think AXGT's r cool n wouldnt mind owning one.....am wondering if thier's a turbo engine you could get for them?

Larry1690's Response to Davchat's Review

Written on: 03/07/2005

iv got an ax gti, but the head gaskets gone on it. im only 15 n its my first car, so ive got time to fix it. its a great lookin car, and it should be pretty nippy when its finished.

173279_Euandykes's Response to Davchat's Review

Written on: 07/10/2004

The AX 11TRE, with it's 1124cc engine still beats most cars of the lights. Just sick of the body roll it has with out the GX anti roll bars.

Race1Gt's Response to Davchat's Review

Written on: 19/05/2004

Best mod for the AX at the moment is the VTS conversion. Not sure, but have heard a rumour that there is a VTS turbo been done. Whatever you decide, you won't regret getting one, like driving a go-kart!!!

Samm's Response to Davchat's Review

Written on: 15/03/2004

This car is great fun for what it is and cheap to run.
<br>If your looking at a turbo kit you might as well just by a fiat uno turbo instead. I much prefered it to the ax and it is also much more tuneable, if you want a similar injection car, try a 205 1.6 gti, it\'s got better handling.

“I have just brought a citroen Ax GT "covertible" the...”

Written on: 14/01/2004 by winegums79 (1 review written)

I have just brought a citroen Ax GT "covertible" the GT is very nippy and I can suprisingly burn off most boy racers mainly beacuse its so light weight and it has a soft top so its even more lighter.
Bad points about this car is that it rattles a lot and shakes at speed but this can only be expect from a car of this age… Read Full Review

Spoofer28's Response to winegums79's Review

Written on: 09/11/2004

Where did you get a soft top ax gt? I would love to get one, I have had 2 ax gts and I still have one now but I would sell it if I could get a soft top.

“Ive just sold of my first car - Citroen AX GT litre....”

Written on: 04/01/2004 by nevstar (1 review written)

Ive just sold of my first car - Citroen AX GT litre. so I thought i'd pay homage to the little beast here. My opinion is that due to its light body weight and close ratio box it is one of the quickest 1 litres ever! drove it hard for 2 1/2 years round shropshire country roads from 7000-40,000 miles and loved it. I could rant on all day about a car that is comparitively pretty rubbish but here goes. Top speed down a big hill from Glossop to manchester 112mph, ran out of room on the clock. good… Read Full Review

“I own a black Citroen AX GT with 14 inch team dynamics...”

Written on: 28/10/2003 by mark bond (1 review written)

I own a black Citroen AX GT with 14 inch team dynamics rims and yoko's, janspeed full exhaust, piperx filter, koni suspension and stacks of ice. I personally think I own the best looking AX in the country I know this because it's sitting outside my house.
I have owned the car for about 6 months and I am very pleased with it… Read Full Review

“i had my 1st Citroen AX GT about 6 months ago when i...”

Written on: 29/09/2003 by mrman (1 review written)

i had my 1st Citroen AX GT about 6 months ago when i passed my driving test, i put 14's on them, a piper X, and a scorpion twin 3" system. ported and polished the head, and took it to a rollin road. they were ragging the heck out of my little ax, toped out at 118 mpb, 0-60 in 8.8 secs. i was so happy. 2 weeks later the engine blew up at 95000 miles. so i purchased a fiesta RS turbo with no MOT or tax for just £150. i saved and saved £1500 2 see if i could get my car a turbo. after about 2… Read Full Review

Speedfreak19's Response to mrman's Review

Written on: 31/12/2003

whats it like having a turbo in such a small car, do you think it would stand a chance against a r5t or gtt. How much would you sell if for if you planned to?

Ax127Gt's Response to mrman's Review

Written on: 17/08/2004

Good day, im Portuguese and I have a C-AxGt from 91 with 123.500Km on the clock. At this time Im expiriencing alternator problems. Not a big deal for such a fun, beautiful and fast car for poor people as my self. - Theres something that I dont undertsand about your max. Speed: i´m TAKING 205Km/h out out of my Red Bomb... a mile is 1609meters, right? - That makes my car - Standart, NOT A DIFERENT PIECE ADDED.- to be running at 127Mph? I like that! - bring your cars to a country to the south, and you will see them go faster & Faster!

Vishal's Response to mrman's Review

Written on: 27/02/2004

196bhp? thats a bold claim, is that with the standard ax gt engine modified with turbo kit? or did they put the fiesta turbo engine in?would like to know more and see pics if you have any.

“I have just bought an Citreon AX 1.1i. i didn't like...”

Written on: 27/08/2003 by Cain (1 review written)

I have just bought an Citreon AX 1.1i. i didn't like it at first as i found it really tinny inside and felt every bump on the road. times past and noe i love the car as i realised its a great runner only cost me £900 N reg with 47,000miles. i was surprised at how fast i was able to go in it. on my way to blackpool from manchester i reached a top speed of around 106mph. the car has no mods...YET!!! i was hoping someone can tell me where to start on the engine to max the power even more. some… Read Full Review

170721_Wildgemmz's Response to Cain's Review

Written on: 17/09/2004

This ax sounds just like mine. N reg, 1.1i and I never liked mine at first just a first car, now I dont want to get rid of it. It's so fast for a 1.1, done my own customisation, made it a girl racer car, ;)

Cain's Response to Cain's Review

Written on: 19/10/2004

Thats nice to know! Unfortunatly I crashed mine in september - now I have a clio....the worst purchase I ever made!

“I own an Ax Gt when i first got it i thought it was...”

Written on: 01/03/2003 by Original Gangstar2003. (1 review written)

I own an Ax Gt when i first got it i thought it was perfectly fast then after a month or so i decided i needed more speed so i got a stainless steel exhaust and a k&n air filter. Great i thought as i sped off but after a month or so i needed even more so i got on the phone to a mate(fully qualified mechanic)and he said for less than a grand he would fit a saxo VTS engine. It took him less than a week to get it done and it cost just 900 pound, bargain it was producing 120 bhp but i still wanted… Read Full Review

84277_Sammie_G.'s Response to Original Gangstar2003.'s Review

Written on: 29/03/2003

my mates got a 1100 ax with a pipercross bolt-on filter and 3.5 inch exhaust and that seems fast enough.
<br> I dread to think what its like with 200ish bhp.

Citroenkid's Response to Original Gangstar2003.'s Review

Written on: 03/05/2007

I have a Citroen ax 954cc and got 105mph out of that it has only done 53k miles though and that is completely standard I'm thinking of putting a vtr engine in it. Do you know whether it's hard to do, and what needs changing?

242812_Gauky's Response to Original Gangstar2003.'s Review

Written on: 14/05/2006

i don't mean to sound rude or anything, but i had a citroen ax 1.1 and that was a j reg, it had 70 k on the clock, completely unmodded unless you count my cd player, that was a 5 door and i took it down the m42 at 112 mph and it was still going although i bottled out due to the sheer noise it was making..... 95 mph is just taking the mick babes....

Darting's Response to Original Gangstar2003.'s Review

Written on: 25/10/2005

Re VTS conversion.
<br>
<br>Yes you need engine mounts, loom, unlocked ECU, Fuel Pump, tank, VTS Driveshafts, VTS Gearbox, also your standard clutch wont last long!

Written on: 20/12/2004

Ok thanks for the info
<br>Happy Cristmas.

Written on: 17/12/2004

You can do it yourself if you have the right equipment, but a garage would probably only charge about 20 quid or so to do it, and they would be able to do it with more accuracy. If either of them are out of adjustment you should notice a significant improvement in performance once corrected.

Written on: 16/12/2004

mlow97 thanks for your reply.
<br>You seem to know alot more than me :)
<br>How would I check the fuel mixture and the igntion timing?
<br>Cheers

Bmcfan's Response to Original Gangstar2003.'s Review

Written on: 16/12/2004

Wider wheels will give a lot more resistance and will cut down your top speed. However to a point they will give increased grip when accelerating and cornering so its a case of which do you want most, higher top end or faster cornering.

Written on: 15/12/2004

No chance it will be the big wheels, you will probably find that the rolling radius is only slightly bigger if not the same as the standard ones, with that it still couldnt be the wheels cos larger wheels equals higher top speed.
<br>There is a product called 10k boost that you spray into the carb, this is supossed to decoke the engine, but to do it properly you must remove the cylinder head. It might be worthwhile checking the fuel mixture and ignition timing as well.

Written on: 14/12/2004

Could well be the big wheels mate.
<br>As for de-coking it, how would I go about that?

Bmcfan's Response to Original Gangstar2003.'s Review

Written on: 12/12/2004

Crusty bap. Your wheels are too big giving too much friction and wind resistance. Thats why your car is so slow. Oh and your exhaust probably weighs as much as a fully grown donkey too!!

Dave Ellis's Response to Original Gangstar2003.'s Review

Written on: 08/11/2004

That can't be right, just 95? my '89 GT has 80,000 on the clock and it hit 118 yesterday (on the speedo at least). It was still pulling hard at 6,500 rpm (no engine mods) and the only reason I didnt break 120 (or even 125) was the 40 mph roadworks that were coming up pretty quick.
<br>Filled my car up last night having been near the red for a while (funds were low) and it was acting strange on the throttle after that. Felt like the carb wasnt opening fully, but if I backed off for half a second it seemed to clear its throat and clear off. My mate reckons it could be sediment caught in the carb, anyone got any ideas?

Written on: 20/05/2004

When you remove the stepper motor from the throttle body, it won't sit properly when you put it back together. There is a small allen screw that touches the stepper motor, You need to unscrew it until the butterfly is shut when the throttle cable is not pulling. If your ax only does 95, take the head off and de-coke it. Mine hits the limiter at 115.

Dno1313's Response to Original Gangstar2003.'s Review

Written on: 19/05/2004

Dude, I have a GT500 with k+n and peco backbox and I got it to 125 without tuning it at a rolling road yet. Sounds like the high mileage could be causing your GT to bottle out at 95.

Gtdeanobambeano's Response to Original Gangstar2003.'s Review

Written on: 13/05/2004

Is it illigal to drive a car with a straight through exhaust pipe, would an exhaust place fit one for you?

Ben Peaslake's Response to Original Gangstar2003.'s Review

Written on: 06/05/2004

Crusty bap, you obviously werent trying hard enough. Iv got a completely standard ax10e and I got 96 out of it.

Ax Vtr's Response to Original Gangstar2003.'s Review

Written on: 29/09/2003

trust me my boyfriend put a vtr engine in his 94 ax its a little rocket got the pages as well looks the part but wants the gti engine back cant get his hands on 1 any were no 1 in ireland drives these babes

Showbizdave's Response to Original Gangstar2003.'s Review

Written on: 08/09/2003

How about this then? Dont put a VTS engine in, go for a VTR (98bhp one), as u wont be killing yourself on insurance and u will be able to do 100mph down the sliproad before joining the motorway! Plus it sounds nicer - AXVTR
<br>Trust me they fly! Kills all saxos :)
<br>Showbizdave - AXOC member
<br>www.axoc.co.uk

Doof1014's Response to Original Gangstar2003.'s Review

Written on: 01/09/2003

regarding tommycoles' accelerator problem, i owned an 1100cc n 1 day the throttle stuck open fully aal of a sudden, i found it to be the throttle cable, not sticking it was jumpin out of its sleeve, lift the bonnet and see if you can pull the cable away (up) from the bracket if u can u mite see dat wen it goes back down it can sit ova outside the bracket sleeve. if this does it, jus ring tie the outer cable to the bracket job done.
<br>
<br>it could also be, dont laugh, your floor mats!! due to the small area where the pedals are as u brake u may also be revving.
<br>
<br>or it could be a problem with iva a blocked jet in ur carb or blocked brather pipe, as i had to strip down n re build my carb.
<br>
<br>word of warning to all owners watch your heads!!! my head blew for a 2nd time within 3 months (7000miles) so i had to get rid, jus a word of warning

Diddygt's Response to Original Gangstar2003.'s Review

Written on: 31/08/2003

I've just bought one of these little beautys. Stuck a K&N on and a Jetex full system and now dyno-jetted runs at 110bhp which does scare me to death but it does only top out at 110mph. Anyone have any ideas on increasing top speed?

Tommycoles's Response to Original Gangstar2003.'s Review

Written on: 19/08/2003

i've got a problem with my 954cc AX. just wondering if anyone else has had any problems like this or if they know anything about it. It seems after about 20mins or so of driving the car accelerator goes nutz. e.g i pull up 2 the lights or slow down and the car just revs up fully. Its not the accelerator cable sticking and i've changed my stepper motor, iv been told it may be the sensors round the right side of the stepper.

119560_James.'s Response to Original Gangstar2003.'s Review

Written on: 28/07/2003

Do you really think NOS is a good idea mate? Nos is mainly used in show cars, not road cars. Ive got a ax with a straight through pipe and KnN which gives the little car enough power for me! how much did you get the vts motor for?
<br>james

115961_Sex Machine.'s Response to Original Gangstar2003.'s Review

Written on: 15/07/2003

ive got a ax gt, with a k&n plus a straight through exhaust (roars like a lion, great). i can get 110 out of mine. suspension in not up 2 the job as standard. sounds like somethins not rite with yours, get it seen 2

114177_Ashok.'s Response to Original Gangstar2003.'s Review

Written on: 08/07/2003

just regarding 'crusty bap'...
<br>
<br>hey mate you should be getting a hell of a lot out of that GT. I have a 88 AX RE 1.1 (f reg)and ive got it to 105! bearing in mind it only has done 47k on the clock its in preety good nic! No mods btw.
<br>Ash

Crusty Bap.'s Response to Original Gangstar2003.'s Review

Written on: 23/06/2003

Hi.
<br>
<br>I have a 1990 AX GT with 131,000 miles on the clock. Put a pipercross filter on it and a huge back box, plus it has 15" alloys.
<br>
<br>My question is, it tops out around 90 - 95 miles per hour, i thought as standard it would do at least 100, maybe 110?
<br>
<br>Can anyone shed any light on this for me?
<br>Thanks
<br>Crusty Bap

108786_Alex.'s Response to Original Gangstar2003.'s Review

Written on: 19/06/2003

can't imagine how fast ur car is, ive got an ax 1100cc n its quick, but dats only producin 60bhp at best, h8 to fink wot it'd do wiv an engine wiv 200 bhp+

Frostie.'s Response to Original Gangstar2003.'s Review

Written on: 23/05/2003

sound nice mate? i:ve got a ax gti it goes like a little rocket and look,s the nut i yet have the guts to put nos in it people tell me it does the car no good at all what do you think? the ax is just a great toy i love it but from time to time it keep,s going wrong

89815_Drew.'s Response to Original Gangstar2003.'s Review

Written on: 17/04/2003

Im a mechanic myself and I am very interested in doing the vts conversion for my ax gt. How much did the vts engine cost?, were there any modifications such as engine mounts to be done?, do you uprate the driveshafts?, brakes?, I would be grateful for a posative responce.