Lexus LS400 Reviews

Lexus LS400 - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Lexus LS400

Lexus LS400
Lexus LS400

“Simply the best car ever made”

Written on: 03/09/2013 by mrsrt8 (1 review written)

I am not surprised that this is one of the best cars I have ever had. I have had 7 Lexus cars- 1996 LS400, 1993 ES300, 1998 LS400, 2006 IS350 (two of them), and a 2007 GS350. The LS400 is like all these other cars: reliable, smooth and tightly built. I can go on and on about it, but I'd run of out space. I am from America and I can see you people across the pond love it as much as I do… Read Full Review

“This car is a velvet rocket”

Written on: 18/09/2012 by TitchLS (1 review written)

Had my LS400 for 10 months now; I wish I had bought one years ago. What a fabulous car. Soooo quiet and beautifully smooth. I admit it looks a bit anonymous,-a bit of a grandad's car, but don't be fooled; switch into 'Power' mode and it goes like stink.(0-60 less than 7 seconds,155+ top speed). The interior is luxuriously appointed with tons of 'toys'. To top it all off it's put together with typical Japanese precision with no sqeaks or rattles after more than 100,000miles and doesn't use a drop… Read Full Review

“My first was a 1990 bought unseen on ebay. Drivers...”

Written on: 16/03/2010

My first was a 1990 bought unseen on ebay. Drivers seat would not recline (common fault) and battery would discharge due to faulty alternator caused by leaking a/c pump (common fault). But, the drive was serene, so smooth and quiet but with a big kick up the bum when required. Gearbox undetectable despite lack of maintenance.
Now have a 1997, slightly harder ride but everything works, no advisories at m.o.t. I think of this as a "keeper" but may still get another in a better colour one day… Read Full Review

“Had the car for 9 months, plan to have it for a few...”

Written on: 03/02/2010

Had the car for 9 months, plan to have it for a few years more based on the Lexus reliability record!! 70K on the clock, so smooth to drive and comfortable with very adjustable seats. Hard wearing interior, alloys tend to corrode easily but for £250 you can get perfect replacements. Look for spares on ebay and other sites to keep running costs down. Slightly large but haven't reversed into anything yet (!)… Read Full Review

“I have owned my 1997 Lexus Ls400 DHP for the best part...”

Written on: 28/11/2009

I have owned my 1997 Lexus Ls400 DHP for the best part of 9 years now and the only thing ive had to replace was a front spring, which, they dont make any more..........
Apart from this slight problem (Designed a new pair, got them made and fitted them myself) the car is faultless.
How many 4 litre v8's can go from Norwich to Cardiff on half a tank??!!(32mpg) And yet waft myself and my family along in air-conned luxury year after year with only standard servicing and tyres to worry… Read Full Review

“This car is a dream. I think I love it more than my...”

Written on: 06/11/2009

This car is a dream. I think I love it more than my wife! Mine has done 206000 miles and is still smooth as a baby's bum. It is affordable luxury for everyone. The best advice is to go for a younger model with high mileage that had been serviced regularly. Everyone who rides in the car says that it is the most comfortable and quietest ride they've ever had!
Yes there are a few niddles. The stereo no longer lights up and some LCD displays are missing a few cells, but I can put up with these. Buy… Read Full Review

“I am now on my 3rd Lexus ls400, these cars are...”

Written on: 26/09/2009 by sgys04110 (1 review written)

I am now on my 3rd Lexus ls400, these cars are magnificent,awesome power with a good MPG return, the build quality is second to none and reliability is a major factor when buying one of these luxury cars (ask any AA or RAC man how many times he's had to recover one) He will probably say never!
Parts can be expensive but you never need to buy any, I have a Audi quattro and I have spent more on that car than I ever spent on all 3 of my Lexus cars so needless to say my quattro is going up for… Read Full Review

“I own a used 93 Lexus LS400 (200,000kms) in dark blue...”

Written on: 19/05/2009 by steveone (1 review written)

I own a used 93 Lexus LS400 (200,000kms) in dark blue and bought it because I liked the look of it and because of its rarity (Why be another Merc/Audi/Jag owner with millions of others?).

Then I read the excellent reliability reviews . . . so I'm even more happy.

Weirdly, almost everyone on the internet photographs the car from its worst angle(s). It has subtle beauty and even looks hot from some angles, especially the 93. Dark colours are best for this shape… Read Full Review

“Subdued styling hiding a fabulous car. Toyota spared...”

Written on: 26/04/2009

Subdued styling hiding a fabulous car. Toyota spared nothing to impress when designing the Lexus LS400. The driver can feel he is in control of a world beater without flamboyance but with the satisfaction of knowing he has chosen a world class motor car… Read Full Review

“If you have three or four grand to spend on a car, why...”

Written on: 05/02/2009

If you have three or four grand to spend on a car, why waste it on cars made from coke can metal and yogurt pot plastic ?
Go take a test run in one of the best cars ever built, the Lexus LS400 series 4.
The quality of build is legendary and is just opulent luxury.
Make sure it has full service history and that the cam belt has been changed ideally the tensioners/idlers too. Many people change the water pump at the same time as a cam belt change.
Apart from that, a well serviced Lexus should last a… Read Full Review

“The Lexus LS400 is the best car I've ever owned. Best...”

Written on: 17/06/2008

The Lexus LS400 is the best car I've ever owned. Best general market top-marque car ever made… Read Full Review

“Amazing car, bought a 1991 mk1 for £1000 at 150000...”

Written on: 25/02/2008

Amazing car, bought a 1991 mk1 for £1000 at 150000 miles, always wanted one and thought I might get a few months out of it. Now 1 year on its passed its 17th birthday and done 163000 miles. It has needed no parts, and has never let me down. I have given it a good service at local garage £150 and that's it. The LS400 is quite frugal on fuel for a V8, I average 34mpg on motorways & 22mpg in town with a light foot. Ultra reliable even at 17 years of age. It has just passed its MOT nothing needed… Read Full Review

“I have used my Lexus LS 400 car for ten years and its...”

Written on: 08/12/2007

I have used my Lexus LS 400 car for ten years and its never disappointed me. It's quite and reliable. The only bad points I have found are the electronic LCD failures on dash or climate control… Read Full Review

“The Lexus LS400 is the best car I've ever owned,...”

Written on: 31/03/2006 by bigadz7 (11 reviews written)

The Lexus LS400 is the best car I've ever owned, although one of the oldest. I bought it as a stop-gap but love it so much I never want to sell it. Look beyond the fairly bland styling and there is real beauty there… Read Full Review

Pillsbury's Response to bigadz7's Review

Written on: 31/07/2006

congratulations on owning the best sedan on the market. you can't ever go wrong with a lexus or a toyota. I'm looking to upgrade my camry to a ES300
i hate when i ask people what they think the best car is, and they pick the white trash BWM. ugh.... or the GM made mercedes-benz consumer reports rates these as junk. I have also know people who had these cars, and as with american cars, they have been nothing but one big huge maintenance nightmare! these manufactures continue to screw the customer. as with every other product out there, if it's not japanese it's junk. my friend just traded in his hyundai XG300 that he bought new in 2001 after 20,000 he had to have a new transmission put in, as the original one melted. after OTHER problems, he got rid of it, and now owns a lexus ES300 2002 model. he loves it!

“I am a chuaffeur, I had driven most luxury cars in my...”

Written on: 17/05/2005 by ajk (1 review written)

I am a chuaffeur, I had driven most luxury cars in my time, my last one prior to the Lexus LS400 was a Mercedes E55 AMG, OK it did 0-100 miles per hour in six seconds, so what, it had nothing else going for it and it cost twice the price of the LS, with no refinements.

Out of all the top luxery cars I know, the Lexus LS 4300 is the one for me. We have a Merc S500 and another LS 4300 on the fleet, these vehicles are for the top three bosses in the company, line them up and the Lexus is the one… Read Full Review

Pillsbury's Response to ajk's Review

Written on: 31/07/2006

“We have a 2000 Lexus LS400 executive car. It's ran...”

Written on: 08/09/2004 by Sam SAFC (1 review written)

We have a 2000 Lexus LS400 executive car. It's ran perfectly since we got it a year ago in August. We're very happy with the performance and would definately reccomend it to others… Read Full Review

Pillsbury's Response to Sam SAFC's Review

Written on: 31/07/2006

“I owned a Feb 1991 Mk1 for 9 years from early 1995....”

Written on: 22/06/2004 by uham999 (1 review written)

I owned a Feb 1991 Mk1 for 9 years from early 1995. The car felt the same to drive on the day I sold it with over 200,000 miles on it as it did the day I bought it. The car was religiously serviced according to the Lexus service schedule.
During my ownership it had the following faults.
Front break calliper needed replacement at 85,000 miles.
Egr pipe perished at 6 years old needing auto box removal to replace - £500 ouch.
Air con depressurised at 13 years old.
One stainless steel exhaust… Read Full Review

Pillsbury's Response to uham999's Review

Written on: 31/07/2006

“The Lexus LS400 is a superb car and out of all the...”

Written on: 14/12/2003 by scarface (4 reviews written)

The Lexus LS400 is a superb car and out of all the cars i have driven i have never expereance such a smooth car and such a quiet engine with such big power at 280 bhp and hits 60 in 6.9 seconds. its a very comfy car and i never end up geting lost because of the sat nav system. it has a good hifi system with a bulit in subwoofer the back shelf and has good sound quality and the head unit id aniti teft… Read Full Review

Pillsbury's Response to scarface's Review

Written on: 31/07/2006

“I went for a K reg Mk II six years ago. It had 96K on...”

Written on: 17/11/2003 by BillB (1 review written)

I went for a K reg Mk II six years ago. It had 96K on the clock and had a three year parts and labour warranty which wasn't really needed except for an alternator failure after a couple of years. Since then (last four years) no problems. Some bits replaced (mid silencer box) and prop shaft (both on warranty). Not worth much to anyone else now so I'll drive it until it stops; then I'll get a 1999 (pre LS430) one again with about 100K - so I'll guess it'll see me out!
Don't think it's a great… Read Full Review

“My Lexus LS400 came to me aged 6 years, and is still...”

Written on: 12/02/2003 by Notpc. (1 review written)

My Lexus LS400 came to me aged 6 years, and is still with me 4 years later.

All the quality reputation seems true, even if it always costs a couple of hundred pounds to get through the MOT.

The engine is superb, even in the relatively de-tuned version of my mark 2 model (anything made after 1995 is faster). I fell for it because I never heard the salesman start the engine and didn't realise it was running when he put it into gear and we set off. Two years later, I fooled my parents over the… Read Full Review