BMW 5 Series 528i Reviews

BMW 5 Series 528i - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for BMW 5 Series 528i

BMW 5 Series 528i
BMW 5 Series 528i

“i won 528i gf-dm28 having 120 000k mileage done, very...”

Written on: 07/11/2010

i won 528i gf-dm28 having 120 000k mileage done, very reliable and safety to drive in high speed, good comfort, quick speeding from zero,.....
however, there are some lacks in compare with same perfomance japanese cars i have had an experence with:
- the gear change from 3rd to 4th speed is really slow for all 528i models. it makes you unconfidence while you are about to overtake quickly;
- turning radius is just killing, 5.3m makes trouble all time, especially in japanese narrow road… Read Full Review

“The BMW 5 Series 528i is a BMW even if it is a 1997 P...”

Written on: 12/05/2009 by pynr195 (3 reviews written)

The BMW 5 Series 528i is a BMW even if it is a 1997 P purchased in 2009, still awesome even at 212,000 miles. Automatic awesome… Read Full Review

“Second hand a lot of flash for not a lot of cash. Very...”

Written on: 11/11/2007 by jt2k7 (1 review written)

Second hand a lot of flash for not a lot of cash. Very nice and reliable car to serve the whole family eg.3 kids in the back no problem… Read Full Review

“I have owned many cars in the past and my 1997 BMW 5...”

Written on: 24/10/2006 by Jonster (1 review written)

I have owned many cars in the past and my 1997 BMW 5 Series 528i is far and away the best car for a variety of factors. I think the most important quality of this model is the feel of the road that is conveyed to the driver. You always feel in control of the vehicle, and should you lose control, the BMW will know, even before you do, and will correct you.

Case in point: Apart from the usual traction control and dynamic stability control, a new innovation called CBC technology was introduced… Read Full Review

“We bought our 1998 BMW 538i in December 2000 with...”

Written on: 19/12/2005 by Craig in Virginia (2 reviews written)

We bought our 1998 BMW 538i in December 2000 with 32,000 miles. From the start we had trouble with the heated seat and tail light bulbs, which were constantly going out. During the 50,000 miles that we owned the car, we had 3 brake jobs (at about $1,100 each), a front-end job ($1,300), catalytic converter ($1,200), water pump, full tune-up ($1,000, twice), and various other annoying problems. All of this on top of regular maintenance at about $240 a pop.

Although the car was generally fun to… Read Full Review

“I bought a BMW 5 Series 528i in December 2000 and have...”

Written on: 27/11/2005 by Craig in Virginia (2 reviews written)

I bought a BMW 5 Series 528i in December 2000 and have spent more than $13,000 in maintenance costs. The car has only 82,000 miles, but it has required 3 brake jobs, 2 batteries, a new catalytic converter, a full tune-up, a water pump, thermostat, set of tires, replaced front air dam (it cracked), and countless rear tail light bulbs due shorting in the electrical system. The cup holders look like they were stolen from a 1973 Monte Carlo and the cheap plastic control buttons for the climate… Read Full Review

“The BMW 528i SE is a fabulous car. I also drive a...”

Written on: 30/06/2005 by Jagmeet Singh Saggu (1 review written)

The BMW 528i SE is a fabulous car. I also drive a Mercedes Benz E240 on a Y-plate (2001). That has a 2.6 V6 engine, so I didn't expect the performance from this car to be much better. Amazingly, it is a LOT quicker, which is saying something, since the E class is no slouch. I can only imagine what a V8 BMW would be like!
It's hugely practical, with a larger boot than most cars on the road and access to the plush interior is easy thanks to perfectly positioned seats and wide openings of the… Read Full Review

Geeman67's Response to Jagmeet Singh Saggu's Review

Written on: 23/11/2005

Thank you Jagmeet for such an in depth review on the BMW 528i SE. I was in two minds about buying one from a neighbour of mine that is emigrating, so forced to sell his. I've always admired if from afar as it looked very commanding but at the same time a little more understated than the bulky new 5 Series. I presently drive a Volvo S40 but need something a little more luxurious for the 3 hour round journey to work and back. Plus we're expecting our second child soon, so something with the extra boot space would be ideal. I'd always been interested in getting a 3 Series, as I always believed this was more than adequate. But now that the opportunity to own a 5 Series has fallen in my lap, I'm seriously considering it. I never thought I would be able to afford such an executive car but the price is more than reasonable, especially for the spec. you get on the SE model.
<br>After reading your review, my mind is definitely made up. Thanks again.

Jagmeet Singh Saggu's Response to Jagmeet Singh Saggu's Review

Written on: 16/01/2006

geeman67, I'm glad to hear that my review was helpful to you. If you do purchase the BMW, you'll be glad you did! However, whichever car you decide to buy, I wish you many pleasant miles of motoring.
<br>
super7sv, my advice would be to test drive both the 530i and 530d, because both have quite different characteristics. I've only driven one 530d, and the power delivery was absolutely stunning - a fine motorway car. I've driven numerous 530i's, which is what I initially wanted to purchase. The engines are strong, smooth and the noise is somewhat reminiscent of a fighter plane! However, you have to be extremely careful when buying any of these cars, because they hide their age so well. Dealers often use this to their advantage and alter the mileage via a laptop. You can usually tell by looking at the leather on the driver's seat. If it's cracked or looks bad, the car is probably a high miler. Another way to tell is to accelerate using full throttle. The gear changes should stay crisp and seemless (I mean absolutely undetectable, the gearbox is brilliant) and the car should feel light and agile. High mileage examples often feel lethargic, and in my opinion you shouldn't go for anything with over 80,000 on the clock.
You say that the car must be a Sport model. As you may know, the Sport models have lowered and stiffened suspension which is comfortable, but not quite as satisfying as the standard set-up. Then again, if you're looking to drive this car hard and fast, Sport suspension will probably suit you better. Also, Sport models gain Aluminium effect interior trim, dechromed window surrounds, a new front bumper incorporating a big air dam, and 5-double spoke alloy wheels.
<br>On the subject of alloy wheels, BMW ones are made from aluminium alloy, which can oxidise quite quickly if not cared for. A car wash every few weeks should be sufficient to keep everything looking at it's best.
A sunroof is a desirable extra if you can get a car with one fitted, as is grey leather. It's quite hard to find cars with grey leather, but if you manage to get one, you'll find that the car will usually sell a lot faster than if it has, for example beige or black leather.
Now you must forgive me for such a long reply, but I tend to get rather carried away when on the subject of cars! I hope it helps!
<br>
<br>Kind Regards, Jagmeet Singh Saggu

Super7Sv's Response to Jagmeet Singh Saggu's Review

Written on: 09/01/2006

I agree with all your points. I've had a 1996 SE auto since 2000. Now I would like a high spec. 530i or 530d. Must be sport have sunroof and hopefully grey leather. What do you think please?

“Sorry to be brief but there is just not the space to...”

Written on: 03/02/2003 by Jay. (1 review written)

Sorry to be brief but there is just not the space to explain and list how good the BMW 528i is. I've had company cars from many manufacturers including mercedes and even thought the 3 series was a great car, but the 5 series is just in another league. Mine has had a few modifications such as MTec Suspension, steering and braking which obviously improves its handeling but the power from just the 2.8 is also surprising. Basically I'm hooked on the 5 series and will now be making my way up the… Read Full Review

Mark Houghton's Response to 70032_Jay.'s Review

Written on: 23/10/2003

This review is spot on I could not have put it better myself. The car is fabulous!

Guest's Response to 70032_Jay.'s Review

Written on: 11/02/2012

I too have made up my mind i will be purchasing one thank you all for your helpful reviews, I have the same option in my lap the miles on the 5 series is a little high, but the owner took execellent care of it and was willing to fix any mechanical problems with it (Power steering holes) and allow me to take it to get a diagnostic test on it. He stands behind this BMW 5 series. I would a bit thrown off by some of the 1 star comments, But what I have learned is it depends on the owner of the car.

156892_Staceydolan's Response to 70032_Jay.'s Review

Written on: 28/05/2004

My husband and I just bought the 528i. I have never driven anything like it! I had to have it! I had no idea what I was missing before driving this car. I would recommend this car to anyone.