Land Rover Freelander TD4 Reviews

Land Rover Freelander TD4 - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Land Rover Freelander TD4

Land Rover Freelander TD4
Land Rover Freelander TD4

“td4 freelanders are great !”

Written on: 27/06/2013

ive hd my 55 plate freelander for 5.5yrs ad wont change it for anything its a great practical 4x4 as well as a runaround i tow my horse box with it its the 3 door so its also aconvertible in the summer as well .I love this car the interior is half leather easy to clean and very hard wearing with just a wipe over looks like new again.he leg room is great .This is a freestyler so got a few extras the insurance is low as well .I brought this with 16000 miles on from main dealer its now done 68000… Read Full Review

“06 td4 135000 and still going strong”

Written on: 13/03/2013

bought from new (car supermarket 15k ) just after the freelander 2 came in. 40 mile drive to work on country lanes and plenty of cattle grids, so ideal for the freelander. at 800 ft usually get snow and once blew it and slid into a ditch, in a foot of snow, but just reversed out. who says freelanders aren't proper 4x4s. ok it's not a defender but it ain't bad. it has a regular service with a local independent garage and apart from anti roll bar links and new disks/drums from time to time… Read Full Review

“LAND ROVER FREELANDER COST A FORTUNE TO REPAIR”

Written on: 12/12/2012 by dontbuyafreelander (1 review written)

Had a Freelander 1.8 Petrol, cost £7500, spent £3500 in repair bills, sold as scrap 3 years after buying it for £850 as I could not sell it. If you want to loose a lot of money buy a Freelander 1.8 Petrol. My advice buy another 4x4 preferably not a Land Rover… Read Full Review

“good and bad”

Written on: 21/09/2012

BEEN A LANY FAN SINCE OWNING A 110 V8 GREAT MOTOR,2 MONTHSAGO BOUGHT A 2004 FREELANDER TD4 FROM PREMIER MOTORS ROSSENDALE SHORT MOT BUT SEEMED OK,THEN THE MAF SENSOR PACKED IN £90,LEAK ON BACK DOOR AND 1 REAR PASSENGER DOOR WINDOW MOTOR MISSING,FOLDING SEAT CATCH BROKE,THEN THE MOT DUE ALL BRAKE PIPES REPLACED BUT WHEEL CYLINDER AND FLEXI PIPE DAMAGED WHILE PIPES FITTED OTHER BITS WIPERS AND LIGHTS MOT REPAIR £185 GOT FED UP NOW COULD BE GOOD NOW BITS DONE BUT I`M FED UP WITH IT ENGINE HAS… Read Full Review

“FREELANDER TD4 - TROUBLESOME UNRELIABLE EXPENSIVE TO KEEP”

Written on: 07/07/2012 by deltaromeopapa (1 review written)

Bought my TD4 6 months ago with 90 thou on the clock and a service history expected to see another 50 thousand miles before any trouble came along. Right now its in bits with a leaky injector pump. Bought it because the BMW engine was supposed to have fixed all the problems of earlier cars. Probably the worst car I have ever owned. I will never buy anything with Landrover written on it again. VW, Honda, Peugeot, Citroen, Mitsubishi have all served me well. I would seriously recommend avoiding… Read Full Review

Georgiah's Response to deltaromeopapa's Review

Written on: 23/08/2012

i bought my car two years ago.its made in 2003.the day before yesterday it just cant reverse.and i took it to landrover for diagnosis,nothing seem to be wrong but still cannot reverse.the gear gets on as usual but nothing happens when reverse. it is Landrover free lander TD4.cans me i get fedback on what to do please. Georgiah from Tanzania

“td4 gs 2001”

Written on: 19/05/2012

I got the car after having a smaller 4x4 with a proper chassis, as i wanted something newer and more comfortable, and have always liked the freelander. After looking at several, i decided that the petrol one had too many engine problems, so choose the bmw engined TD4. The car has now done 160,000 miles and the engine still pulls strong, i only use mobile oil and use bosch oil and air filters and a BWM crankcase filter (cheaper and better than the landrover one) The cost of the oil change etc… Read Full Review

“Land Rover Freelander TD4 Serengeti Station Wagon ”

Written on: 05/08/2011

We brought the Freelander following a poor decision to buy a convertible Astra not because it was a bad car but because we had two small children at the time in child seats and straight away it became obvious that this car was not going to be suitable. This is when I had decided that we needed something allot bigger to suit our needs and I had narrowed the choice down to a Honda CR-V or the Freelander, the Freelander won because it looked better inside and out, looking like it was fit for… Read Full Review

Written on: 16/06/2014

Thank you. Heartlifting. Have recently bought 54 td4 very reasonably, knowing the clutch was iffy and it's being fixed as we speak. It appears to me that there must be some 'Friday afternooners' out there, but otherwise it's pretty clear that you've got to become interested in the pitfall areas and do some regular checking as a D.I.Y.'er. The good stories are great and BTW I enjoyed the quality of your writing...(old teacher!).

“I bought my vehicle two years ago and it was...”

Written on: 07/02/2011

I bought my vehicle two years ago and it was beautiful, drove real nice, fell in love. Then things started happening about 3 months later. First the right back window stopped working, then the hatchback window stopped, now the left back window doesn't work. My mechanic wanted about 900 bucks to fix the problem. All parts are very expensive, just to change the oil cost me about 100 bucks every 3 months. Next my car just died while I was driving, towed to mechanic and told the timing belt… Read Full Review

Written on: 13/06/2011

you dont have a belt its a chain on a td4

Written on: 16/06/2014

Does the chain have a scheduled replacement time/mileage?

Written on: 24/08/2011

Welcome to the harsh world of Landrover ownership. Substandard product with substandard customer support!

Written on: 24/08/2011

“We got our freelander td4 2l es after getting bored...”

Written on: 01/12/2010

We got our freelander td4 2l es after getting bored with run of the mill cars,best thing we ever did,we love everything about it,from it's luxury interior to it performance,especially in snow, sometimes they get bad reviews and horror stories,if you don't like them,don't get one,stick to a boring car,that also has problems,but without the fun and performance of the freelander,we are looking to get the new freelander 2 soon,will never go back to a car again,we've been bitten by the bug!… Read Full Review

“HI HAD MY FREELANDER FROM NEW GOT IT FOR THE ...”

Written on: 24/10/2010 by PETER BENSON (1 review written)

HI HAD MY FREELANDER FROM NEW GOT IT FOR THE NAME OF RELIABILITY , THE CAR WAS GOOD FOR FOUR YEAS THEN THE OIL COOLER WENT, THEN THE ALTERNATER BELT WENT, AND LITTLE THINGS , AND NOW THE CLUCH HAS GONE WITH ONLY 55 THOUSEND MILES ? IT SHOULD HAVE DONE AT LEAST 120 THOUSEND OR MORE . I HAVE NEVER HAD A CAR THAT THE CLUTCH HAS GONE IN MY LIFE , AND BYEING NEW THOUGHT I NEVER WOULD ? SO MUTCH FOR LANDROVER AND RELIABILITY… Read Full Review

“Engine is too bloody complicates with loads of stuff...”

Written on: 15/10/2010

Engine is too bloody complicates with loads of stuff to go wrong and it's BMW so everything costs a fortune.
Getting rid of mine and going back to a Defender 90 200/300TDi. At least the chassis components and most of the engine components are patterned.
What you spend in fuel on a 90/110 is less than what I'm spending on parts on my Freelander!!… Read Full Review

“Had my 2.5 V6 Freelander for four years now. It is...”

Written on: 22/09/2010

Had my 2.5 V6 Freelander for four years now. It is used everyday and in all that time it hasn't let me down once! Only things I have ever had to pay for are new front brakes year before last, new back brakes this year and air-con re-gassing. It's never failed an Mot and even the mechanic who serviced it a couple of months ago said it was a great car and he doesn't like landrovers! Only downside of this great car is 2.5 petrol engine fuel consumption, I get about 25 mpg and a lot less when… Read Full Review

“As with any review type sites the bad news seems to...”

Written on: 02/09/2010

As with any review type sites the bad news seems to travel further and faster than the good news. Landy's are your typical 'marmite vehicle' you just love em or loath em. I love mine!!! Yes, being objective about it mine has had one or two things go wrong with it but then I have not had a car yet that didn't need maintaining and unfortunately all motors cost you money. To offset this my Landy has held its value brilliantly!
Landrover as a company seem to be thriving, it surely cant be all bad?… Read Full Review

“What can I say about this vehicle?? it was a case of...”

Written on: 13/07/2010

What can I say about this vehicle?? it was a case of either its good looks and practicality I loved or the amount of spend on repairs within 7 months.

I had the car for 12 months, but within 6 months of owning it, it started giving problems, even tho i opted for the diesel TD4 this still didnt stop me from spending loads.

Firstly the rear subframe came away on one side and had to be welded. Secondly but more relevent the read differential went making a grinding noise, i got this replaced… Read Full Review

“got my freelander when she was 2 years old and she is...”

Written on: 07/06/2010

got my freelander when she was 2 years old and she is amazing! Not the quickest of cars but certainly practical it has the 2.0 td4 engine and this i find pulls well, its offroad capability is great, even though my kids often get in filthy from football it cleans well. the looks of the freelander are great and a million times better than the old plastic front (pre 2003) anyone looking to buy a small practical stylish off road capable 4x4 the car 4 u is a FREELANDER !!!!!… Read Full Review

“”

Written on: 05/06/2010

Its soo hard to describe this car. I still have it but its really driving me crazy. U tend to like its looks, the way it drives, but thinking about all the problems it caused me and still going, they all appear to be design failures from the company LANDROVER

Dont EVER dare and buy landrover. This was the biggest mistake of my life and I cant even sell it.

Had nearlly all the problems in one car. Had oil leak, water inside, poor stearing, tyre eating, suspension faults, OMG . U cant even call… Read Full Review

“Fancied a 4x4 for a while now after driving a family...”

Written on: 11/05/2010

Fancied a 4x4 for a while now after driving a family members range rover, though couldn't afford one of those.
Found a Great Freelander 3 door Sport from a private seller with only 48,000 miles on the clock.
I joined the forum at Landyzone.co.uk and researched the issues that the freelander has and yes it does have a few but there are things you can do to help the running of the car if you know about them.
i.e changing the crankcase breather to the new modified BMW version so the engine doesn't… Read Full Review

Written on: 16/06/2014

Uplifting. Just bought 54 plate td4 and am planning to become an eager beaver D.I.Y.'er to keep problems at bay. Thanks.

“got my freelander freestyle td4 auto when she was a...”

Written on: 09/05/2010

got my freelander freestyle td4 auto when she was a year old with 9k on the clock, the only money she's cost me is the servicing and wear and tear items,the fuel economy is as good as you can expect on such a vehicle 33/34mpg, on a trip to Fort William 400 miles from my house with a kayak on top a bike on the back and a ton of camping gear cost me just under a full tank of diesel,the only gripe i have is the poor quality of the carpet with it being an automatic my left foot has worn a hole in… Read Full Review

Written on: 16/06/2014

Good, positive stuff. My new-owner-nerves are now less fraught. Thanks.

“Bought my '02 Freelander a while back from a friend...”

Written on: 07/05/2010 by ianatuskix (2 reviews written)

Bought my '02 Freelander a while back from a friend who had owned it for 5 years. So far it has proved almost 100% reliable. The economy is fine at 32-34 mpg, especially being an auto and having the aerodynamics of a brick.

Only reliability issue I have had is when driving from Belgium to Germany it lost power and put out black smoke. A quick look on the on-line forums found the problem (rubber hose on intercooler), half hour and £12 later all was well.

The interior is a good size, but I… Read Full Review

“Had my TD4 5 door ES for 6 months, got it cheap as it...”

Written on: 25/03/2010

Had my TD4 5 door ES for 6 months, got it cheap as it has 130k miles on it so was a bit apprehensive especially having heard about its build quality. Had to replace all four tyres, get the tracking done and replace some missing stereo buttons straight away to stop a whiring sound caused by uneven tyre wear. Still worked out cheap so was happy especially with the strong engine, smooth ride ( better then my new company Zafira )and useful size and space. ES is well spec'ed but dash and door… Read Full Review