Walther CP88 with compensator (6 Reviews

Walther CP88 with compensator (6 - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Walther CP88 with compensator (6

Walther CP88 with compensator (6
Walther CP88 with compensator (6

“After seeing the Walther CP88 in the local gunshop I...”

Written on: 07/09/2010

After seeing the Walther CP88 in the local gunshop I decided to buy the pistol because it looked so well made. At first I noticed how well the pistol fitted into my hand so well and was very light to hold. After a couple of days of shooting at recognised targets at 18 feet away I found out how to squeeze the trigger properly without distrubing the accuracy of the pistol. I was soon surprised how accurate this pistol is even though it only has a 4 inch barrel. And how powerful it is. It is noisy… Read Full Review

Chubby1's Comment

Written on: 08/03/2011

I found this review helpful because...I'm thning about actually purchasing a CP88 Black very soon

“I bought this gun as the standard 4" version, along...”

Written on: 19/10/2007 by jes437 (6 reviews written)

I bought this gun as the standard 4" version, along with the 6" barrel/compensator conversion kit so that I could have both economically. Having owned a nickel Colt 1911 from the range for a while it was a pity that I could only get the black version of the CP88 at the time. I've a much older Barretta 92 and frankly the black finish is a mess now. I bought the Barretta used for little money so I was happy to put up with the complete absence of the black finish in some places, but with the… Read Full Review

Howie54's Response to jes437's Review

Written on: 22/04/2013

Very good review. I'm thinking of buying the 6" nickel Competition version of this gun so found this review very informative. I too have heard stories of the gun jamming although I intend either tuning the gun or buying a tuned version so maybe that will sort out this issue - time will tell :~)

“I've tested it and the results speak for themselves....”

Written on: 01/06/2007 by zanardi (1 review written)

I've tested it and the results speak for themselves. At 7 meter I've shot and destroyed a robust jar (tomato jar) only using a light plastic jacket pellets with steel internal body (Skenco)… Read Full Review

“I have had my CP88 Competition model 6" for about 6...”

Written on: 23/06/2006 by Micky8008 (2 reviews written)

I have had my CP88 Competition model 6" for about 6 weeks now, shot about 2500 rounds through it.
It's a geat gun, it has good power, great accuracy, very good for target practice.
I like the sound as well, it is more accurate and powerful on single shot mode.
It gets average of 410 fps on the chrono (when the co2 is full-ish and the weather is warmish)
Overall it's one of my favourite pistols from my collection.

I added the adjustable sights from Walther, which helped on accuracy.
Flat head… Read Full Review

“First off, I'm from the US. ”

Written on: 06/04/2006 by DaaaveP (1 review written)

First off, I'm from the US.

My experence - I've been shooting bb/pellet guns non-competitively since I was around 7 and my dad got me a Crosman model 66C rifle (he often used it for pest control with possums, rats, etc) that I still have and shoot. About 2 years ago I decided to try a Gamo P23, and soon after that I got a Crosman 357 6".

Today I recieved my Walther CP88 with compensator and took it out for a test shoot. At around 15 yards I'm getting 2"-3" groupings with Beeman Laser light… Read Full Review

“The Walther CP88 CO2 Pistol is a great gun for sharp...”

Written on: 26/07/2005 by hesho1962 (3 reviews written)

The Walther CP88 CO2 Pistol is a great gun for sharp shooting, training and fun. It also has a long range for a Co2 gun, A MUST HAVE… Read Full Review

“I bought this Walther CP88 with compensator(6...”

Written on: 24/09/2003 by Gundog (1 review written)

I bought this Walther CP88 with compensator(6 originally with a Walther red dot sight and silencer from Uttings. Didn't like the plastic grips and wanted to increase accuracy and power, so bought walnut grips and 4" to 6" barrel conversion. Also, took the red dot off, as I find the fixed sight adequate and prefer the balance of the gun without it.

Trigger pull is excellent - smooth and predictable - the safety catch has an excellent positive feel and power is pretty good (though I have a HW45… Read Full Review

“A few words about my weapon experiences and ownerships. ”

Written on: 10/07/2003 by Bubbah. (1 review written)

A few words about my weapon experiences and ownerships.

I have owned and shot numerous air pistols and rifles as well as a couple life round weapons (also rented the shooting club's weapons because I am to lazy/occupied in periods in order to get more life fire gun permits ;)) throughout the years. A few years back I was competing, shooting field target with 6,5 rifles and indoor 15m shooting with .22's. Can't say I was the best, but I wasn't the worst either.

Currently I own these airguns… Read Full Review

114597_Bubbah.'s Response to 114507_Bubbah.'s Review

Written on: 10/07/2003

I just wanted to appologize for the typos in my review. English is not my native language as you prolly guessed. Nevertheless, I hope you can look past them and not go too hard on a poor foreigner ;-)

Milan_V's Response to 114507_Bubbah.'s Review

Written on: 20/05/2012

hi, I have a question, on a scale of 1-10 how much more accurate is the 6" 0ver the 4". thanks, Milan

ps. thanks for the great review!
(email your answer to iamnotitalian@hotmail.co.nz )

Les Maddams's Response to 114507_Bubbah.'s Review

Written on: 12/11/2006

Thanks for the review. It is very useful. I have the Walther CP88 competition version, but I find it far too heavy for long periods of use (plus I have small girlie hands!). I am thinking about selling it and buying the 99. I'm concerned about the extra noise, so is there a decent a compensator (silencer) available, and is it as accurate?
<br>Thanks
<br/>Les

The Norskie's Response to 114507_Bubbah.'s Review

Written on: 16/04/2006

Thank you DaaaveP for answering my question regarding the compensator. I am abroad for the time being, but I will definately look at this upon my return home.

Daaavep's Response to 114507_Bubbah.'s Review

Written on: 07/04/2006

For those who are wondering about the compensator - If your compensator is wiggley or lose, you can use the larger provided hex key (sorry, can't remember the size off the top of my head). Just insert it into the hole below the muzzle of your barrel and turn it clockwise until the compensator isn't loose anymore (be sure it's NOT loaded and the saftey is on).

The Norskie's Response to 114507_Bubbah.'s Review

Written on: 10/08/2005

First of all, thanks for a great review.
<br>
<br>I am not a novice to airguns/co2 guns but it is while since I enjoyed this sport. (longer than I like to think about)
<br>
<br>My question regarding Walther CP88 with compensator is: Is the compensator supposed to be wiggly or firmly attached to the Gun? Reason I ask is in regards to the sight. As far as I can see, aiming cannot be perfect if the forward part of the sight is loose?!
<br>
<br>I really like this Gun, it is well built, balanced and sturdy. With some more practise I believe I will get the hang of this.
<br>
<br>Thanks in advance for any inputs/comments/advice.

Snipergr's Response to 114507_Bubbah.'s Review

Written on: 10/05/2005

First of all. Thanks a LOT for the great review you offered us Bubbah and don't you dare apologise again about the awesome quality of your English. Anyway, you are not the only one who's maternal language is not English ;-). Secondly, I thank Martycoyote for your ingenious explanation of long barell advantages. Man, this site sure has some smart people in.:-)

Bertie's Response to 114507_Bubbah.'s Review

Written on: 29/09/2004

martycoyote.....that's a brilliant explanation!

Martycoyote's Response to 114507_Bubbah.'s Review

Written on: 29/09/2004

Hi there Zargon, just a reply to your question in the review centre site for your CP88
<br>
<br>YOU WROTE: "the manual states that the longer barrel length increases m/sec from 120 to 130 - I don't understand this because increased friction should reduce velocity"
<br>I will try to explain, the pellet starts to move when a contained force is applied to it (in your case Co2 expanding when it meets room temperature) and will continue to accelerate until that force is no longer present (at the end of the barrell), as soon as the pellet leaves the end of the barrell it is starting to slow down, so the longer the barrell, the longer it continues to accellerate for, like the longer you keep your foot on the gas, the faster you will be going when you take is off! This is the same reason say a conventional weapon like a rifle firing 7.62mm shels will have a much greater muzzle velocity and range than a hand gun firing the same calibre.
<br>Hope this helps,
<br>Marty, in the UK

Written on: 09/02/2004

p.p.s
<br>In my quest for perfection (i.e. blame the gun, not my eyesight or shaky hand ;-).....) I fitted a cheap Webley pistol scope for 20GBP - I now shoot clean bullseyes 9 times from 10 at 7 m - a worthy investment.
<br>PELLETS
<br>THE CHEAP ONES CAUSE JAMS AND INDEXING PROBLEMS - you can tell because they are a tight fit to get flat into the magazine.
<br>
<br>I pay a little more and use German flathead pellets made by 'Dynamil Nobel' - better grouping and the gun sounds better when fired. I'm sure muzzle velocity is higher due to less friction in the mag.
<br>
<br>Has anyone else any tips about oiling, cleaning etc, PLEASE PLEASE
<br>Thanks

Written on: 14/01/2004

p.s. I've just come in from the Great British Weather (not) having upgraded from 4" barrel to 6" and fitted Walther competition open sights, my comments are as follows:-
<br>
<br>1. Fitting is easy if you don't lose the small screw! Best done over a large sheet of white material.
<br>
<br>2. The official open sight upgrade was quoted at £49 - aaaaarrrgh, but I did a deal with my local gunsmith who was too embarrassed to charge me this much!
<br>
<br>3. The 6" competition barrel is definitely worth the money, and costs less than the sights.
<br>
<br>4. The sight upgrade greatly improves lateral leeway and gives vertical adjustment to personal preference.
<br>
<br>In summary, the upgrades improve my performance and having done some (minor) dismantling, this gun seems built like a BMW - just waiting for the brighter evenings now!

Written on: 12/01/2004

Hi, good honest review about the cp88, I learnt a lot, especially about safety and pellet weight. I shoot at 7m (out of my kitchen window) and download all my targets from www.mytargets.com, a US site that's pretty good (you need acrobat reader). I'm using standard wadcutters, if anyone knows where I can get lightweight pellets please tell me.
<br>I find the basic sights a bit coarse with no elevation adjustment and it shoots a bit high for my liking - I just ordered the 'competition' upgrades i.e, 4 to 6 inch barrel extension and fully adjustable rear open sights - if anyone can offer advice on fitting I'd be forever grateful. Interesting point:- the manual states that the longer barrel length increases m/sec from 120 to 130 - I don't understand this because increased friction should reduce velocity - or am I being stupid?????
<br>
<br>Otherwise I love this gun, I have small hands and it suits me perfectly, wish I'd got the nickel one. Thanks people, any tips to an old 'newbie' can be sent to zargon@ntlworld.com - I also have a Gamo PR45 (verrrrrry accurate single shot), and a Webley hurricane (recoil a bit of a problem for me, I must be getting old).

Bertie's Response to 114507_Bubbah.'s Review

Written on: 03/10/2003

Bubbah...I had a look at your pics. I think I'll just slink away and hide in a cupboard, for I doubt that I'll EVER achieve such accuracy with my S&W 586 6in, which I've had only 3 days. You are obviously an excellent shot. Near Olympic standard I'd say. But I did buy it mainly for fun and to pretend to be a Welsh Clint Eastwood, or a member of the Taffia (the Welsh Mafia).
<br>You wrote a very interesting review with a mine of information and as a newbie to the CO2 world I am absorbing all the information I can.
<br>Despite my short acquaintance with my gun, I quickly found out that the heavier pellets give more ME. As for the lighter ones giving more accuracy due to their higher velocity, I wouldn't know!
<br>You claim you're somewhere in outer space but you may be in Germany for on one of your targets I could read the word "luft", which of course, means "air". Meaningless really, for as now we can get spacecraft to fly outside our solar system,' Beetlejuice' is probably on the mail run.
<br>Please don't apologise for English not being your first language, it's not mine either, but I understood you 100%.
<br>
<br>I'm really glad you told us about the injury because I put safety at the top of the list of my shooting priorities and I sincerely hope that all who read your review will take full note. When I load my S&W, the magazine goes on last and that with the gun pointing away from me and towards the ground.
<br>Post again sometime Bubbah and thanks for all the above.

115420_Bubbah.'s Response to 114507_Bubbah.'s Review

Written on: 14/07/2003

I'd just like to add a few words on pellets and the CP88 which I should have mentioned in my already pretty lenghty and perhaps tiredsome review.
<br>
<br>I soon experienced the same thing as with the other rather "weak" CO2 guns I've owned, they are sensitive on ammo - and especially weight. I found that while several types of good quality (nice, smooth, well-machined and very consistent) flatheads around 8.0 to 8.3 grains worked rather well, they were obviously a bit on the heavy side on longer distances (15m) and when the CO2-canister starts to get empty. RWS "Meisterkugeln" and Kovohute "LUX and "MASTER" pellets is in this cathegory.
<br>
<br>With somewhat lighter flathead and rounded pellets (7.2 - 7,6 grains - suprisingly hard to get here where I live, had to order ;( ) of decent quality, the accuracy is more even and predictable. Curently I'm using Milbro Select at about 7.2 grains. Nice muzzle speeds and good accuracy. This is so far my favourite. I'll try to get some more brands to test and see if I notice any particular difference.
<br>
<br>Here's a pic of one of my targets, the standard international 10m air rifle type. I was shooting from only eight meters using original iron sights and Kovohute "Master" pellets @ 8,3 grains aprox. One full eight-shot mag at each target. I'm not much of a shooter, but at least you can see how thight and nice the CP88 shoot groups. This also shows my personal tendence to relax or get distracted with the last shot in the mag almost always hitting more down to the left than the rest. Guess I gotta try an work that one out ;)
<br>http://www.mindovermadness.org/images/8m.13.07.03.jpg
<br>

“The Walther CP88 is great for target shooting. Not...”

Written on: 24/01/2003 by Sparky. (1 review written)

The Walther CP88 is great for target shooting. Not heavy enough to make your arms tired. even after 3hrs constant shooting. A good choice of pellet are Bisley Practice (Flatheads). The pellet skirt sits nicely in the mag and they're nice & cheap too… Read Full Review

82948_Cosmick59.'s Response to 67746_Sparky.'s Review

Written on: 25/03/2003

Have had my CP88 for 3 years and fired thousands of shots, requires maintanance of seals etc. Very accurate.

118922_Sanctus.'s Response to 67746_Sparky.'s Review

Written on: 26/07/2003

Have the CP 88 Competition 6"=5.6"=143.1 mm
<br>i agree the trigger is super
<br>this is a realy good co2 gun