Capital One Classic Reviews

Capital One Classic - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Capital One Classic

Capital One Classic
Capital One Classic

“worst credit company i have ever dealt ”

Written on: 20/04/2015 by LiliannaSchultz (1 review written)

I wish id read the dreadful review on here and avoided this shower … Read Full Review

“incompitent”

Written on: 07/04/2015

despite telephone calls and letters and promises they still get it wrong every single month .the fraud detection system just does not work ,they even admitted to me over the phone, which i have a recording of, that something is wrong with their systems .i are having to compensate me for their incompetence… Read Full Review

“Incompetant”

Written on: 21/11/2014 by Skylerq98 (1 review written)

In error I made a large overpayment on my capital one credit card , I have been with them for several years and was ecstatic that at long last I had managed to clear the debt. I phoned them and asked them to close the account and refund my overpayment to my current account. I was informed that the refund would be made within 3- 5 working days but this didn't happen, I phoned again and was told that this was incorrect and they could not refund my cash until 10 working days had passed - still… Read Full Review

Martinb93's Comment

Written on: 25/05/2015

I've just stupidly applied for one, i'll make sure i take the names of who ever i talk too if i have too ring them! There terms and conditions were rather confusing, do you know much about there intrest free period? Hope you solve your issue!

Sayitasitis2012's Comment

Written on: 11/06/2015

please note that I have already submitted a review, earlier this year.

Sayitasitis2012's Comment

Written on: 11/06/2015

the link below explains the procedure, though you will have to go through Capital One's complaints procedure first.

I will be submitting a lengthy review in the next few days..

telegraph › Finance › Personal Finance › Money saving tips

“Waste of time to apply if you have perfect credit”

Written on: 25/08/2014 by Morrow99 (1 review written)

I filled out application info. for Capital One Quicksilver credit card 6wks ago. Two weeks after that they needed proof of income for 2013, residence, and energy bill. I sent those, and two wks later they asked for the same info. again, so I had to call to tell them I had already sent that. After 4wks I called to see what the delay was, and was told that they were still working on it. I was told to call again on Aug. 13, if I had not heard anything. I called then, and was told the home office… Read Full Review

“Hounddogs”

Written on: 07/06/2014 by VincentCarroll490 (1 review written)

Capital One are by far the worst credit card company that I have ever known. Stay well clear and avoid their bullying tactics and underhand methods… Read Full Review

“Simple, quick, great customer service”

Written on: 29/05/2014

Capital one finally gave me a chance to start building my credit rating after I had limited history. The online account is 100 times better than aqua's and there is a smartphone app so you can keep track of your balance ect. Very helpful customer services on activating my card and was easy to set up a direct debit and payment date. I personally have no issues with capital one who in my opinion were so much more organised than Aqua and vanquish who I also applied through. So far I could not… Read Full Review

“This company is so confusing and unorganised.”

Written on: 22/03/2014 by arthur2506 (6 reviews written)

I had a Capital One classic card for nearly 2 years with a £200 limit that never went up, then I got progress card. I paid the classic off in full each month so there was no loin in having two so I closed my account and kept the progress and it was considered 'platinum' and the APR goes down every 6 months. The limit stayed at £200 for a year even thou I was paying more than the minimum payment, if not in full. I sent them letters and also sent them a lot of personal documents to have them… Read Full Review

“shower of cowboys”

Written on: 21/03/2014 by sayitasitis2012 (15 reviews written)

i had difficulty cancelling a continuous payment authority with a supplier that i furnished with my credit card details. capital one were not interested and eventually i wrote to their fraud manager. he agreed to clear my account and said he would keep an eye on it. within weeks i received a call from their indian call centre with a female pressing me for payment. i asked her what she knew about my account. she replied that my number had been generated by the computer and she wasnt familiar… Read Full Review

Sayitasitis2012's Response to sayitasitis2012's Review

Written on: 11/06/2015

I have been clearing out my paperwork and I must point out that what happened to me was in 2008.
reading through the paperwork I noticed that capital one had sold the " debt " to a firm of debt collectors, who decided, upon my advice, not to send anyone around to enforce payment.
this was for £63.00
that would have been their cut on top of what I wouldn't pay capital one.
correspondence with the manager led me to the impression that everything had been cleared.
the debt collectors were called off and I thought that was it.
until I found out that my credit rating had been smashed, and I received a letter from Capital One saying that I owed £1.50
like other contributors I had severe difficulty communicating with their indian based call centre, so much so that know I refuse to deal with any company that has a call centre ( customer service! ) based overseas.
I spoke to trading standards and they offered to take up my case, but it was too much hassle copying and posting all the correspondence.
being blacklisted for credit didn't bother me as due to the fact that I am getting on in years I had no need for it, thankfully.
I did though at the time have an Asda credit card.
I knew nothing about being blacklisted until I had a payment on ebay refused for just over £4!
I tried to do the transaction another two times with no success when I got a message to contact my card issuer, Guardian Royal Exchange.
this I did and I asked what was going on.
they told me due to the information received from a credit reference agency they had reduced my credit limit from £2500 to £250.00!
and as my balance was just under £300 could I make an immediate payment to bring my balance down to under £250.
I told him I would do better than that. I paid the full amount and closed the account.
I swear that I could hear a chuckle of satisfaction in his voice when I closed it. I think he thought I was bluffing.
I only got the card in the first place as I was accosted in store by a rep and she pointed out I could save 2p a litre off petrol if I bought it at Asda.
I had it for about a year and the balance was settled via direct debit every month.
fortunately I wasn't embarrassed over this debacle as my transactions were not on a face to face basis., though I had the stress of knowing that my credit record, which was unblemished for over 40 years if they have been going that long, was now in tatters, due to the actions of incompetents, and I class the fraud manager in that group.
should I have been younger and needed access to credit, which I did in those days, as most of us do, my life would have been very difficult and I would have had to take yet further action to rectify the situation.
I don't know if they still use indian call centres, but if they phone you up out of the blue, even if it is to chase you for late/non payment, ask them how they got your number.
it is unlawful to generate calls via the computer. I asked the question where she got my number from.
she was naïve enough to admit that the computer generated my number.
trading standards would be interested to hear of any instances.
to complain about your credit card company just have a look on google for plenty of advice.
should anyone reading this happen to go to court with this shower as long it is in the north west I would be more than willing to be a witness to their more than questionable practices.
my card was not a classic, it was the capital one mastercard.
I would add that this account was closed, on MY insistence.
they were quite happy to let me carry on using it.
I spoke to my bank at the time and they said nothing untoward would happen between me and them.
off to do some shredding now!

TO THE MODERATOR.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS REVIEW WAS FOR A CAPITAL ONE MASTERCARD, AND NOT THE CLASSIC UNDER WHICH THIS THREAD IS POSTED.

“very good advice customer care well done ”

Written on: 15/02/2014 by omgman (3 reviews written)

This is a finance compony like no other care for there customers. If you get in trouble with any kind of repayments what ever compony remember this call them they wont bite they will help you get control capital one is an industry leader in there customer commitment I have enjoyed being a costumer of theres for some time Your never alone call them if you need help trust me im here to help… Read Full Review

“I think this Is my card!”

Written on: 17/01/2014

Much better customer service than Aqua!!! Quick, kept me updated Aqua! Honestly, just don't. I had to send them my ID, they lost it....4 times. I had to call them to ask if they received it! and they possibly lost 4 copies of my passport. Eventually I gave in. The end… Read Full Review

“Capital One credit card”

Written on: 26/10/2013

They really are an awful company. Got all my details incorrect, lost my application half way though, I couldn't update my address details whilst still in the application phase so I am having to run the risk that my card and PIN en up going to a neighbour's flat instead. I applied for the card for the 0% forex fees, but we are approaching 3 months since my first application and I still haven't got the card. I've already been on my 3 week trip to the US and come back. Completely useless. Avoid… Read Full Review

“Just don't go there..........”

Written on: 07/05/2013 by Routeofallevils (1 review written)

What a shame that review centre doesn't have a zero star rating as this is what I'd give Capital One. My husband had a credit card with Capital One, we called because they just changed him to online banking without his consent. He didn't use the card and no longer had it, so we requested a card so that we could register online....nothing arrived, we rang and were told for data protection purposes they couldn't give us access, so we requested a paper statement.......nothing arrived, we called… Read Full Review

“CapitalOne Credit Card”

Written on: 18/04/2013 by ARC1 (0 reviews written)

Is Capital One – a bunch of liars? Judge for yourself! Self-employed with irregular incomes and poor credit rating, I applied for a credit card with CapitalOne after being referred to their web site by one of those search engines promising you affordable loans... Once my application completed an advisor from Capital One called me in order to send her proofs of address and identity, in order to be able to give me the credit card in question. Now, to be sure about the outcome, I repeatedly… Read Full Review

Redrobbo5's Response to ARC1's Review

Written on: 08/05/2013

same thing happened to me, they didnt ask for any proof,, not even a phone call , they just tried to fob me off with a give us £200 and we,ll give you a credit card with a £ 200 limit on it,,, just binned them and went to aquacard who approved me, conflicting opinions of aqua on this site, but i,v as yet have had no issues with them, been with aqua for 9 months and have had 2 credit limit increases

“Bad customer service ”

Written on: 06/04/2013 by Guest221 (1 review written)

They want people with sucky credit so they can make em go more broke. Don't try them if hit have any kind of good credit… Read Full Review

“Amazing support if you get into difficulties”

Written on: 07/01/2013 by aphancock (1 review written)

After being Capital One customers for several years now, we've recently fallen into financial difficulties and missed a couple of payments for the first time. We have several creditors who've been hounding us with repeat phone-calls - but I have to say that Capital One have been the best of the bunch. Their support and customer service has been outstanding. They provided great advice, and have been overwhelmingly considerate and understanding in their approach. They were extremely sympathetic… Read Full Review

“Rip Off”

Written on: 06/01/2013 by dezin19 (1 review written)

I have always paid off my full balance immediately after every purchase so that my minimum monthly payment was always $0. I had an excellent credit rating. I only had a $500 limit, as I only used that card for small online purchases. So, one week I make a payment and I notice the payment is taking longer than usual to go through (nearly two weeks whereas it was usually a couple days). Then I find that they have charged my card for my annual fee the week after my payment. They held my payment so… Read Full Review

“Thieves and Liars”

Written on: 26/11/2012 by Wideload88 (1 review written)

Stole money from me. Despite large payments balance never decreased only increased. Harassing phone calls 4 to 5 times a day as late as 9pm 7 days of the week. Incompetent foreigners in call centre. Mid-sold PPI. Stay away from Capital Zone. They will only do the same to you… Read Full Review

“Poor treatment of long term customer! Don't Apply!!!”

Written on: 04/11/2012 by fialko (4 reviews written)

I've been a loyal customer of Capital One for around 15 yrs and for that loyalty Capital One increased my interest rate to almost 35%!!! I questioned why and was fobbed of with a generic answer so i asked why i had such a high rate when my house mate applied for a card with them, just 12 months after getting a CCJ and has an interest rate almost half that of mine - again a generic response along the lines of we can't discuss another account... I then went to the CEO of Capital One to ask… Read Full Review

“Ripped Off and P***ed Off !!”

Written on: 18/10/2012 by stace92 (1 review written)

Credit card works well so long as its paid off in full within the set period of around 56 days, after about 12 months using the card with very few problems, i started to pay only the minimum payment, this meant high interest rates, although i can't really moan about that, what else do you expect from a credit card, however i paid the amount of in full in september, and have cancelled it this month, as the company have been charging me cash interest every month until now despite the fact that… Read Full Review

“Avoid like the plague. Incompetent ”

Written on: 17/09/2012

Refusing to change my address, harassing me with 5 calls a day despite complaints and requests to remove my number from the system, most staff can't speak English, simply terrible… Read Full Review

Dave_1963's Comment

Written on: 03/10/2012

Incompetent only scratches the surface! I moved into a new apartment, and kept getting Capital One bills for the previous tenant. I sent back over 100 bills to Capital One marked "Moved". Still kept getting bills. I called Capital One to tell them the person had not lived there for 3 years. The next week, Capital One sent a credit card AND PIN number for the tenant who moved 3 years ago. I could have racked up $1000 on the card, but being honest, I cut the card up. When I called Capital One to tell them they are sending valid credit cards to the wrong address, I made the mistake of giving them my name. Now, I get 5-6 calls daily asking if I want a Capital One card at 29.9% APR! NO WAY!!! Capital One has the WORST security of any credit card company-Period! DO NOT USE CAPITAL ONE!

Angela59's Comment

Written on: 16/10/2012

I have had a capital one credit card for over six years .I got it to help me out with xmas an such .I pay a DDevery month and it never goes down.I ONLY HAVE AN ODD £50 here an their but It seems I Owe more an more ,I now have £3000 to spend but after 6yrs I still owe them £200 an it never goes down.the way I see it ive paid the money fifty times over I pay them £35 00 a month ,they take a minimum payment an give me the rest back to spend this must be wrong but as Icant afford to pay it all off at once it seems Imdoomed to pay for ever. ANGI