Ford Escort XR3i Reviews

Ford Escort XR3i - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Ford Escort XR3i

“Needed tuning”

Written on: 14/08/2011

Well, I had an early (faster) one with the mechanical injection (not EFi) Had a piper stage 1 cam kit, ran with no air filter and a banana branch exhaust. Even with these mods, it was EXACTLY the same as my mates 1.9 PUG GTI (we used to both boot it and be staring sideways out of the windows at each other!) I reckon we both were hitting 60 in about 8.5 secs. 6.5 is a ridiculous comment. Mind you, his blew up first!… Read Full Review

“I loved this car, it felt like you are king of the road. ”

Written on: 05/04/2010

I loved this car, it felt like you are king of the road.
goog handling fast, but mine was red and would wind people up at sight, it was fun to drive but attracted lots of agrstion. I got stoped by the cops one night and they took a second look, as I was in my 40s. The biggest problem is it will not withstand, impacked so please drive it safely. Gob bless and have a happy life. Mal… Read Full Review

“These cars are great, have had 2 hard tops and 2 soft...”

Written on: 02/12/2009

These cars are great, have had 2 hard tops and 2 soft tops, they are really good to drive, and even the lack of power steering and abs doesnt put me off, its fun to just go out for a blast in the sun in a timeless classic.
They will always look cool anywehre you go. They are really easy to get hold of too, my previous and current xr3i's have never cost me more than £300, which for what they deliver is FANTASTIC!!
would strongly recommend to anyone who wants cheap thrills, you can get so many… Read Full Review

“Ive owned my mk4 cabriolet for just over a year now...”

Written on: 20/12/2008

Ive owned my mk4 cabriolet for just over a year now and i would say its the best car ever !i only paid 175 quid ive always wanted one and would certainly recommend one to anyone its very hard to find one in good condition and that hasnt done many miles and ent been thrashed but if you could get your hands on one defo go for it… Read Full Review

“If your into your modern cars then you won't like them...”

Written on: 12/12/2008

If your into your modern cars then you won't like them as they have no power steering, rare with abs, but in my eyes now power steering is better, mine has the rs turbo engine in it which transforms this car, there ' s lag till about 2750 rpm then it just goes, you can hear the turbo come in and then a very loud dump valve, mines not been chipped and running about 10psi and it still fly's, if you want one and don't care about power get the standard 3i but if you like a bit of kick get one with… Read Full Review

“In my opinion the Ford Escort XR3i was one of the best...”

Written on: 20/10/2008 by duncan0102 (1 review written)

In my opinion the Ford Escort XR3i was one of the best sporty fords, with the fun of putting the roof down when its sunny. I have owned about every 80,s hothatch including a rs500. but the mk4 escort xr3i convertible was always the most fun to drive. I use mine as a second car and it sites on the drive next to my x type jaguar and still looks modern… Read Full Review

“Lovely motor not every ones cup of tea but each to...”

Written on: 11/04/2008 by mk3067 (1 review written)

Lovely motor not every ones cup of tea but each to there own I have one and I love it rs turbo bodykit in red OK it has its problems but what car doesn t… Read Full Review

“I love my ford escort xr3i mk4 1989 hard top in white...”

Written on: 13/01/2008 by ADAM XR3I WILLGOSS (1 review written)

I love my ford escort xr3i mk4 1989 hard top in white and standard

“I have owned an xr2 and an Orion Ghia,but I have had...”

Written on: 29/12/2007 by DABOWES (1 review written)

I have owned an xr2 and an Orion Ghia,but I have had my Ford Escort XR3i for about a month now and it's great.

You can drive for miles just enjoying the roads. It looks great and it's a legend.

The engine is easy to work on as is the whole car . British icon - need I say more ?… Read Full Review

“I bought an XR3i 1.6 G reg in white. Had been sat in a...”

Written on: 28/12/2007 by fordtastic (1 review written)

I bought an XR3i 1.6 G reg in white. Had been sat in a garage for 4 years, hardly driven for two before being garaged only 61000 miles. The car was advertised as non starter. It had no MOT or tax, I paid £250 for it plus a pack of lager for my mate who towed me back to his garage. New set of spark plugs and some fresh juice and we were off, the engine starts and all looks good. Gave the car a small service and the MOT passed with flying colours. Just need to tidy body work up, give it a bit of… Read Full Review

“I love old Ford cars, Ive had a few but this is my...”

Written on: 13/12/2007

I love old Ford cars, Ive had a few but this is my first xr3i, Ive had it a year and I love it, dont ever want to sell it. Have had to replace a few parts but its worth it. It has obviously been thrashed in the past, as many have, but the way I see it is there all geting a bit old now the deserve to be looked after… Read Full Review

“I've had my xr3i cab for 2 months, radiators don't...”

Written on: 11/10/2007 by chinkeltik (1 review written)

I've had my xr3i cab for 2 months, radiators don't work and engine block is knackered, but it looks cool. Was cheap fast, and I cant wait to get it sorted… Read Full Review

“This is the best car I have owned so far! ”

Written on: 09/03/2007 by BORIS23 (1 review written)

This is the best car I have owned so far!

I bought my Ford Escort XR2i for £3000 - what a bargain! It is very quick and very reliable!… Read Full Review

“I Bought an Escort XR3i after writing off 2 cars. It...”

Written on: 28/02/2006 by ASTRABOY (9 reviews written)

I Bought an Escort XR3i after writing off 2 cars. It was and 83 one owner 70,000mile car and I only gave £1250 for it. I had it for 1.5 years and never had any trouble with it. In fact just about everyone I knew seemed to have one of these at the time. I only parted with it when I found a lovely 83 RS1600i for sale in a local garage and had to have it.
It did have one problem as I remember it leaked through the battery tray. Great cars though… Read Full Review

Ja's Response to ASTRABOY's Review

Written on: 08/07/2006

how people can say 3i are fast i never know. mk1 amd mk11 escorts are great. when i upgraded to a mk11 i was so let down. i think i have owned about every model escort and in my opinion you can't go far wrong with a mk11 rs.

“The Ford Escort XR3i is possibly the best car I have...”

Written on: 21/09/2005 by LauraBrown (2 reviews written)

The Ford Escort XR3i is possibly the best car I have ever bought for £800 (5 years ago) Is it time to let go?… Read Full Review

Johnxr's Response to LauraBrown's Review

Written on: 05/05/2006

No don't scrap it, xr3is are very rare these days and it is well worth repairing it, if it is your pride and joy.

“I own a Ford Escort XR3i Cabriolet. I have had the...”

Written on: 09/08/2005 by ECAB (1 review written)

I own a Ford Escort XR3i Cabriolet. I have had the car for six months now, and nothing has gone wrong on it… Read Full Review

“Had my Ford Escort XR3i for 2 yrs now - it sailed...”

Written on: 22/06/2005 by ige (1 review written)

Had my Ford Escort XR3i for 2 yrs now - it sailed through its mot twice, so much fun to drive so who cares about the mpg. I'm 44 and my partner 38 and driving it around with the noise from the exauhst makes us feel like teenagers again, there have been no mechanical faults at all in the 2 years we've owned it and I and only paid 250 ponds for it - best buy ever. Only trouble is every one wants to race you so treat it with respect for its age but you want to see heads turn when you can hear the… Read Full Review

Xrtreeeye's Response to ige's Review

Written on: 22/09/2005

Totally agree with your comments although I have an F plate 3i and it's superb on fuel. When I first bought it I ran it on unleaded and the fuel economy was below average but I switched to Super Unleaded and it seems to last much longer and the difference in performance........OH MY GOD!!! Make the switch, for a few pence more per litre, you get loads more smiles per gallon!!

“The Ford Escort XR3i is the best car i've ever had! My...”

Written on: 24/04/2005 by oldskoolXR3i (1 review written)

The Ford Escort XR3i is the best car i've ever had! My mums had her 86' 3i hatch for as long as I can remember so I bought a cheap cabriolet as my first car! Cam belt snapped the day I got it but since then its been wonderful!
Bit expensive to insure but then it is an XR3i and I was 17!
That was 2 years ago and I still got my baby and will still have her for the forseeable future! Same as my mums one shes had it ages!
Great old school looks and an all round good car plus two old school XR3i's… Read Full Review

“I have owned my 1990 flamebeam Red/Nimbus silver Ford...”

Written on: 12/04/2005 by lyrical monster (1 review written)

I have owned my 1990 flamebeam Red/Nimbus silver Ford Escort XR3i Cabriolet for just over 10 months, since i've owned it i've had nothing but problems with it.
It cost me £1500 with 3 months mot and no tax,
It cost my mum £500 to insure it,
My stereo blew up and that was £250 down the drain and it was vandalised. Now i've just bought a vauxhall cavalier with a full GSI bodykit with a sony xplode 10 disc cd changer for £150 so i'm scrapping the escort. If anyone would like the engine or whatever… Read Full Review

192038_Matthelb's Response to lyrical monster's Review

Written on: 05/05/2005

all the points you have made are to do with factors that arent to do with the actual car, vandalised - wasnt because it was an escort, no tax - not to do with the fact its an escort, maybe you could write a more useful review in future

252517_Orgie's Response to lyrical monster's Review

Written on: 24/07/2006

i have just bought a cheap one and need some bits please get back to me thanks Alan

249363_Chazzer's Response to lyrical monster's Review

Written on: 30/06/2006

hi, on top of each door you have a rubber cap to stop water coming in when the door is shut (where the roof meets the windscreen the cap sits just then on top of the door itself. minor item but you try getting hold of one, if you still have the car, i would appreciate this item.

214458_Fostero's Response to lyrical monster's Review

Written on: 20/10/2005

Sounds unlucky is it still driveable? If so email leave a comment.

Laurabrown's Response to lyrical monster's Review

Written on: 21/09/2005

hi, i have just written off my car :( if your gonna scrap it could i have your bumper, bonnet, and headlights and your radiator??? much help appreciated.

Lyrical Monster's Response to lyrical monster's Review

Written on: 11/05/2005

The doors weren't that far from falling off. I've just sold oitto a bloke i know for a £100. the petrolpump had had it.

Moto111's Response to lyrical monster's Review

Written on: 10/05/2005

lease are the best and mine had a worse one than that. It fell two bits, the pasenger door fell off and I had two weld it back on

“I was given my Ford Escort XR3i Cabriolet about 6...”

Written on: 09/04/2005 by elliottroberts (1 review written)

I was given my Ford Escort XR3i Cabriolet about 6 months ago but left it to sit on my driveway (too busy to have it taxed and use it...I know, it was sacrilege and I'm sorry ok!) Half an hour ago I put a new battery in and it started first time. I have had people knocking on my door every few days asking if I want to sell it but I haven't got a clue what it's worth. Anyone got a clue?… Read Full Review