Dualit 4 Slice Reviews

Number of Slices: 4 Slice Toaster
Extra Wide Slots: With Extra Wide Slots

“unsafe”

Written on: 14/12/2013

Others have highlighted the problem with the timer. My smoke alarm was set off by burning toast because the timer stuck - I'm sure there will be countless health & safety angels who will remind me never to leave a toaster unattended, but that kinda defeats the object of buying a very expensive product in the first place. This product could cost lives, avoid… Read Full Review

Dualit 4 Slice

“I agree with other reviewers”

Written on: 18/11/2013 by Stewpot44 (1 review written)

We bought our first one from John Lewis (a retirement treat)in 2007. It came with a 5 year guarantee and after 4 years the timer failed (as so many others have reported). To be fair, John Lewis got a replacement for us and not a repair. Dualit should get a grip of this as it is such a dangerous isuue. On another issue, the toaster won't accept a full slice of Hovis white snd we have to turn the bread upside down to finish it off. I wrote to Dualit to ask for their comments and got a very… Read Full Review

Stewpot44's Response to Stewpot44's Review

Written on: 16/12/2013

Since writing this review I have contacted Hovis. They very helpfully that their bread slices have been the same size for more than 10 years. I got back to Dualit and, would you believe it, their current model was changed around the same time. I know who I won't be buying from ever again

“Terrible Toaster”

Written on: 03/11/2013 by hyderone (1 review written)

Never worked properly from new, first the timer stuck and burnt the toast. When I had freed that up I discovered that it would burn the toast one side and underdo it the other in three out the four slots! Tried to contact the company but received no joy or reply. Amex supplied me with the toaster through their reward scheme otherwise I would have been appalled to have paid £179 for a toaster that doesn't toast… Read Full Review

“Dualit causes housefire”

Written on: 14/09/2013

Our Dualit toaster set fire to our house recently when the timer got stuck on (we thought the timer had stopped/returned to '0', as it was silent and not clicking), so we left the house for work. On returning, the house was filled with smoke, our two dogs distressed and the kitchen unit very burnt and black. Six fire crews came out and the unit had to be hacked out to remove the smouldering shelf. The kitchen still smells of smoke. On doing some research on Google we discovered to our shock… Read Full Review

“Perfect”

Written on: 12/08/2013 by Lily82 (2 reviews written)

For people who live with many people like me, this toaster is a godsend. It has 4 slots, so I don't need to keep waiting for it to be my turn. The toast is even, and it does toast more quickly than others. The slots are pretty wide and I can even place large slices inside… Read Full Review

Dualit 4 Slice

“Dualit Don't Honour Warranty”

Written on: 18/03/2013

Dualit DO NOT honour the warranty on their products. Incredibly poor customer service. They diagnosed a problem when product stopped working at 6 months old over the phone and told us we would have to pay repair fee's… Read Full Review

Written on: 27/06/2013

I had the same issue. See my story at dualit.wordpress.com They told me to stand by to unplug when the timer jams! This toaster is a fire hazard.

“Fire in the house!!”

Written on: 17/02/2013

Looks nice. Makes nice toast if you have your wits about you first thing in the morning. If you unplug it after use (as Dualit recommend to avoid the fire hazard), you will find that when you do want to use it you have to remember to plug it back in. Sounds obvious, but the timer switch makes a loud clicking noise which gives you the impression it's making your toast, when in fact it is simply clicking loudly round and the toaster isn't switched on. This is a bit annoying but the problem is… Read Full Review

Cindyv's Comment

Written on: 27/02/2013

I bought this toaster because I loved the look of it in my kitchen, and I felt that Dualit was a good brand so this toaster must be very well made and it will last a very long time. Very disappointing!! The timer switch has stopped working and now I have a fire hazard in my kitchen! I could go to many lengths to try and fix the switch, but for the money that I paid for this toaster, I should not have to. I really thought that I was purchasing a toaster that I would be using for many, many years. Well, not going to happen. Too bad, I really like the way it looks in my kitchen. I wonder how it would look as a door stop?

Written on: 27/06/2013

Yes, the toaster is a disaster. See my experience at dualit.wordpress.com for the horror story and the fix.

Mona.h's Comment

Written on: 30/11/2013

i don't think that i need extra annoying stuff in my home

Written on: 27/06/2013

I would never trust any toaster unattended. I always stay with it until the toast is done.

Written on: 27/06/2013

See my comments and "fix" at duakit.wordpress.com People need to be warned!

“Burnt Toast”

Written on: 11/11/2012 by Burnttoast (1 review written)

I regret having bought a Dualit. … Read Full Review

Johnwataboy's Response to Burnttoast's Review

Written on: 27/06/2013

Never easy to get it right. Whatever toaster you buy. Even kept at the same setting, the second insert of toast always seems to come out more on the burnt side.

Burnttoast's Response to Burnttoast's Review

Written on: 27/06/2013

All the details and my "fix" are on dualit.wordpress.com Seriously, people need to be warned about this defective product - it is a serious fire hazard.

“Badly designed.”

Written on: 16/08/2012 by shiraz33 (1 review written)

Had this toaster five years and on its third mechanical timer. This time it nearly set fire to the kitchen. There is no safety theromstat and when the timer jams or spring becomes weak and the dial gets a build up of kitchen muck between this and the case you can be in big trouble. The get out clause for Dualit is that it is "an attended appliance" ........life's to short to watch a toaster. Expensive and not well made… Read Full Review

Burnttoast's Response to shiraz33's Review

Written on: 11/11/2012

I fully agree with this review and have had the same experience.

Burnttoast's Response to shiraz33's Review

Written on: 27/06/2013

Not only is it badly designed, it is a fire hazard and should be off the market. See my detailed experience at dualit.wordpress.com for a "fix"

Johnwataboy's Response to shiraz33's Review

Written on: 27/06/2013

You are right. It's like the old adage. " A watched kettle never boils."

Dualit 4 Slice

“The marmite of toasters”

Written on: 20/07/2012 by johnwithard (7 reviews written)

When our last toaster packed in I thought I'd go to town and spend a few quid. I'd always liked the Dualit after seeing it in the background of every great house design show. The toaster itself is unlike most. There's no "pop-up" and no simple setting on a dial. The "pop-up" functionality is replaced with a lever and the dial is a timer. Now, I love the simplicity of it, but not everyone does. 50% of the house are with me, and 50% are with my wife (who hates it). I can understand why. She… Read Full Review

Burnttoast's Response to johnwithard's Review

Written on: 27/06/2013

I hope you haven't burned down your house yet! This toaster is defective and a fire hazard. See my experience at dualit.wordpress.com Warn your neighbours about buying it!

Dualit 4 Slice

“Almost burnt my kitchen down!!!!!”

Written on: 13/06/2012

This toaster looks great but it has a major safely issue. Last week I used the toaster then went to work. However the timer which switches the toaster off got stuck, and the toaster was left on all day. I returned home from work to find my kitchen cupboards completely burnt, with the covers peeling off, all the food in the cupboards above had melted and glasses had cracked. I am just so lucky that they did not catch fire and burn my house down. I phoned Dualit customer services, and I was… Read Full Review

Written on: 27/06/2013

I'm lucky. I live next door to a Fire Station.

Dualit 4 Slice

“Timer stuck & house ended up full of smoke BEWARE...”

Written on: 24/05/2012 by AndySav (4 reviews written)

Hi I read up on how great these toasters are and really wanted one. Well yes it looks great, feels well made & it toasts bread. I read the horror stories of how dangerous these toasters are but hoped that mine would be ok. Anyway this morning I stuck on some toast and got interrupted by a phone call so left the kitchen. During the call the kids came screaming out into the hall saying there was a fire, I ran into the kitchen which was black with smoke and pulled the toaster plug out, grabbed… Read Full Review

Johnwataboy's Response to AndySav's Review

Written on: 27/06/2013

You are right. I would never spend £200 on a toaster, when you can get one from ASDA for £10.00

Burnttoast's Response to AndySav's Review

Written on: 27/06/2013

This product is a fire hazard and should be off the market. See my experience at dualit.wordpress.com for details and a "fix"

Dualit 4 Slice

“Nice looker shame about the switch.”

Written on: 07/01/2012 by philnel (1 review written)

This could be a great little toaster (mines the 4 slice version)but the switch has a design fault. The mechanical part of it is like a clock.Take the switch out and wind it up, you will be able to stop it by placing your finger on the ends of the wheels that turn. The ends of the spindles just poke through the casing a tiny amount, you will also see the flywheel stop turning when you do this.I think these wheels should run in a jewel like a watch instead of the metal casing which will wear or… Read Full Review

Burnttoast's Response to philnel's Review

Written on: 27/06/2013

It is more than a shame .. it is a hazardous product that could starta fire. It should be off the market .. see my experiences and a "fix" at dualit.wordpress.com!

Dualit 4 Slice

“The mechanical timer sticks - very dangerous”

Written on: 18/07/2011

Timer keeps sticking, so does that of our friend's Dualit. Dualit customer services said we were unlucky, but this seems to be a widespread problem perhaps worthy of a recall… Read Full Review

Written on: 21/07/2011

Agree with this comment. I'm now on my 4th replacement timer for this toaster bought in 2004. Dualit do not acknowledge this is a problem but it has caused my fire alarm system to go off at least 6 times filling kitchen with smoke in normal domestic use.

Written on: 27/06/2013

Yes. Call them all back and put them on the scrap heap where they belong.

Written on: 23/02/2012

Mine did too......... then I attacked it with CRC and now it operates smoothly with none of the previous sticking problems at all and it's 15 years old!

Dualit 4 Slice

“DO NOT BUY THIS TOASTER! The timer sticks and is very...”

Written on: 26/02/2011 by Cobra427 (1 review written)

DO NOT BUY THIS TOASTER! The timer sticks and is very dangerous, the toast ends up cremated and so will you if you don't notice it's stuck! We contacted Dualit and were told that the toaster wasn't 'broken' and that we should buy a new timer from them. Their customer services is as useful as a chocolate teapot or a Dualit toaster, take your pick, neither of them do the job!… Read Full Review

Johnwataboy's Response to Cobra427's Review

No, neither does a CHOCOLATE FIREGUARD

Burnttoast's Response to Cobra427's Review

Written on: 27/06/2013

I agree .. should be off the market. See my experience and "fix" at dualit.wordpress.com

Dualit 4 Slice

“I found this to be a pretty mediocre toaster but very...”

Written on: 24/01/2011

I found this to be a pretty mediocre toaster but very pretty, however after about 18 months of quite light use the timer started to stick and is actually dangerous as the toast sits and burns in the toaster until the room fills with smoke and the smoke alarm goes off. Obviously I now realise I can't leave it unattended but it is easy to get distracted. I have a 2 slice toaster, I notice someone with a 4 slice toaster had the same problem. It is a beautiful but impractical item… Read Full Review

Dualit 4 Slice

“This Dualit 4 slice toaster is the best I have had...”

Written on: 15/11/2010 by Charlotte84 (1 review written)

This Dualit 4 slice toaster is the best I have had after trying several and different aspects bugging me of each one. It's sturdy, cooks evenly, has a reassuring click when toast is cooked. It comes with a sandwich clamp which enables you to put a sandwich in and toast it, even melting cheese. You can select to use one, two or four slices so it is also energy efficient. Was pleased too to see the variety of colours it came in. It looks very stylish which is handy when it is on the side all the… Read Full Review

Guest's Response to Charlotte84's Review

Written on: 21/07/2011

wait until youir timer starts to stick then you won't be so pleased with it
Hoping you might be the lucky one

Johnwataboy's Response to Charlotte84's Review

YOU MAY BUTTER UP THE TOAST,BUT YOU WON'T BUTTER ME UP ON THAT ONE

Dualit 4 Slice

“Absolute over priced junk. Toasts unevenly, but then...”

Written on: 23/10/2010

Absolute over priced junk. Toasts unevenly, but then again a lot of other toasters do the same. After a couple of years domestic use, the timer stuck and could have caused a serious fire, if it was not for my smoke detector. Dualit, told me that I should not leave it unattended and offered to sell me a replacement timer for £27 - more than it would cost me to buy a much better toaster - agreed it wont look as nice, but i wont risk burning my house down… Read Full Review

Dualit 4 Slice

“We've had a nightmare with Dualit 4 slice toaster from...”

Written on: 14/10/2010

We've had a nightmare with Dualit 4 slice toaster from beginning to end with this toaster and I wouldn't, in a million years, recommend anyone to buy from this company.

It all started 15 years ago when I used to be a nanny for a family who had a version of this toaster. I loved this toaster. I loved it's design and it's cool functions. When I became a grown up, I really wanted this toaster - I knew it was a silly amount of money to spend on something which essentially does nothing but make… Read Full Review

Written on: 20/06/2011

Ok i was just about to buy one - but you have convinced me otherwise thanks!

Written on: 27/06/2013

I'll call a 'toast' to that. Cheers!

Allabarra's Comment

Written on: 31/01/2012

Thanks for that. Your review, together with a dozen other similar reviews, have saved me from making a bad mistake and from wasting a lot of money.

Dualit 4 Slice

“I always used to look at ladies tittering along in...”

Written on: 14/09/2010

I always used to look at ladies tittering along in their high heel shoes and think "what some people do for fashion" ! My god did I ever believe that I would fall victim. I own a perfectly good Morphy Richards toasted left in the cupboard that make fantastic toast quickly and efficiently and I wont use it cause I am style victim to the Dualit toaster.

I spend mornings burning my fingers and trying to hold the toast central in the slot with a knife but still it keeps coming out uneven and… Read Full Review

That's Morphy's Law for you