Marantz PM7200 Reviews

Width: 43.8 cm
Depth: 37.5 cm
Weight: 12.3 kg

“Great Great amp”

Written on: 22/04/2014 by 299Shaw (1 review written)

I own this amp for 5 years. I can say that I have tried many beams amplification very expensive, but I would never ever change the Marantz PM7200. It 'absolutely unbeatable as a stamp unit and airiness. The low cost is not associated with quality. Evidently, many still have not figured out the unbeatable quality of this amp. It will definitely increase in price over the years and to be sure not to be found for the fact that no one will dare to sell it. A word of advice! If you happen to find… Read Full Review

“One of a kind”

Written on: 15/06/2013 by hullbox (1 review written)

I bought this amp 6 years ago before Denon ran them into the ground . The first time I hooked it up to Polk monitor 70 speakers , which are modest at best for this amp. The next thing know I was in a fist fight with my next door neighbor of course my mouth played some part in that , but my God those speakers shook the whole apartment. I've found class A seems to have a rich sound at low volumes and even at louder but the B class really packs the power. The over all look of the amp I don't… Read Full Review

Marantz PM7200

“Ive got the KI signature version of this amazing...”

Written on: 11/08/2009 by musicnut123 (1 review written)

Ive got the KI signature version of this amazing Marantz PM7200 amp and have owned it for over four years now. The sound quality is amazing no matter what source you use ive also been through many pairs of speakers and the amp never struggles even in class A mode. You will not get a better amp at this price and if you find one second hand you will get a bargain. Im thinking about upgrading my amp but think I will have to part with a big wad of notes to improve on such a versatile amp. Like… Read Full Review

Marantz PM7200

“Sweet sounding Amp, that has a nice warm sound to it...”

Written on: 17/03/2009

Sweet sounding Amp, that has a nice warm sound to it without compromising on detail. Can be pushed when needed and it copes admirably well. Class A works! Match it with the right pair of speakers and it will reward you immensely. I've had this Marantz amp for about 3 years now and I've really grown to enjoy it with time. I had read a number of positive and negative reviews before I bought it. Thankfully, my experience with it has been nothing short of satisfying.

A word on the Class A… Read Full Review

Marantz PM7200

“I've owned this amp for just over 3 &1/2 years now...”

Written on: 16/12/2008 by bertdavies (1 review written)

I've owned this amp for just over 3 &1/2 years now and I've in that time had chance to own or listen to new and used Rotel, Rega, Nad, Arcam, Cambridge Audio and another Marantz amp as my 1st & 2nd system. Everytime I've gone back to this as my 1st choice amp as the others simply to not compare no matter the separates used.
It's been with Wharfedale, Tangent, Mordant Short, TDL and Monitor speakers; Rega 2&3, Pro-ject 1.2 & Expression mkII, Hitachi (vintage quality), Ariston and Thorens… Read Full Review

Marantz PM7200

“The Marantz PM7200 are the top 4X speaker out puts 95...”

Written on: 14/09/2008

The Marantz PM7200 are the top 4X speaker out puts 95 watts per channel top amp and they look the part. Sounds amazing built to last will drive any type of speakers giving the best sound… Read Full Review

Marantz PM7200

“I am used to valve amps and real live music. I visit...”

Written on: 23/08/2008 by endoxajamv (1 review written)

I am used to valve amps and real live music. I visit all the shows and have been at this for decades. I was taken aback by this humble amp and the cost effectively it offers in terms of dots for your buck. Once you own a 7200 the law of diminishing returns stares you squarely in the eye - you will have to spend many times more than this amp costs to get anything remotely like this sound quality!!!!… Read Full Review

Marantz PM7200

“I have been very pleased with the Marantz PM-7200...”

Written on: 15/12/2004 by david8946 (1 review written)

I have been very pleased with the Marantz PM-7200 Amplifier over the past 11 months and would probably buy it again. It is VERY solidly built and extremely heavy. It does run quite warm, but not worryingly so! The slight hum is a little disconcerting, but in use, it is not really audible. Marantz told me it was the Transformer, and it was normal - I held the Telephone to the Amp so their technician could hear it!!… Read Full Review

Marantz PM7200

“I just bought the Marantz PM-7200 KI to replace my...”

Written on: 09/12/2004 by Mr Spock (1 review written)

I just bought the Marantz PM-7200 KI to replace my Luxman A384. It is really a very decent amplifier with a naturally sweet and detailed sound. The stereo image is focused and stands as a rock (much better than my Luxman). I use B&W DM 604 S3 LS and the Marantz stays in charge all of the time. Warning: this amplifier really needs to warm up for at least 10 minutes. Unless it is warmed up the sound is stiff and uninteresting… Read Full Review

Marantz PM7200

“The Marantz PM-7200 is an amazing amp for the money...”

Written on: 16/10/2004 by nout (1 review written)

The Marantz PM-7200 is an amazing amp for the money and it will surprise even spoiled audio fanatics.
I'm not that spoiled actually and I bought this amp to replace an old Pioneer.
The improvement in sound was amazing, right out of the box it sounded already better than my old Pioneer.
At first the sound was a bit on the bright sight but already smoother than the Pioneer.
After 3 days the rough edges disappeared and the amps true character made itself known: a sweet, gentle and refined… Read Full Review

Beemer's Response to nout's Review

Written on: 11/07/2006

i have to agree a bad recording will sound bad simply because the marantz will show every detail of a recording so a bad recording will show its true colours but that just shows how good the 7200. it reveals all the music in all it detail with good timing any pace so yes if you have a bad recording it will show that..

Keith Neal's Response to nout's Review

Written on: 12/08/2009

I found this review very helpful because...it is to the point. not overstated and honest
<br/>

Marantz PM7200

“In the year 2004, anyone that believes any reasonable...”

Written on: 09/10/2004 by diatonich (1 review written)

In the year 2004, anyone that believes any reasonable amplifier costing more than £100 can seriously have much influence on fidelity, needs to see a psychiatrist. I smile when I read reviews that rate amplifiers like wine. I'd rather they spent the R&D money shaving 0.005% off the THD off amplifiers getting a few percent off the speakers. The only reason I bought this one was that it seemed to be a reasonable amplifier and, in my youth, I used to build class A audio amplifiers. I wanted to find… Read Full Review

Nout's Response to 173045_diatonich's Review

Written on: 04/11/2004

<i>Almost inaudibly, but hum it does. For this reason, the sound quality has to get only 5 stars</i> <br> <br>???? <br>To each his own I guess.

333418_Led Zep's Response to 173045_diatonich's Review

Written on: 26/12/2007

what are you talking about man, you can't even get a descent amp re valved for less than £100 . as for building your own amps, even a cheap torroidal transformer and chassis takes you over £100! what a stupid comment.

203468_Olaniyi570's Response to 173045_diatonich's Review

Written on: 26/07/2005

Wow I can't believe there as still people out there that think the sound of an amp only contributes minimally to the sound of a sytem. Or maybe I have it completely wrong and they are in the majority which would explain why Circuit City and Best Buy stores have flurished and small 2 channel speciality stores for people that actually "get it" (in this country at least) have all but disappeared.

Yiannis's Response to 173045_diatonich's Review

Written on: 29/03/2005

I suppose that when the reviewer says "almost inaudibly" he means that an amplifier of this class should make no hum at all. And in fact I agree, with the pricetag it carries it should not produce any kind of noise.

Marantz PM7200

“Marantz PM-7200 - For the £250 for which this amp is...”

Written on: 16/09/2004 by dharmasteve (6 reviews written)

Marantz PM-7200 - For the £250 for which this amp is on sale, it will punch above its weight, and this is one big heavy amp. Whoever has written a bad review has bought a bad one and should exchange it. This is a very good amp. In class A, of course it runs hot. That's the nature of class A electronics. If it's left to warm up for a while there is a limpid, liquid musical sound to this amp while in class A. It won't match Roksan or Musical Fidelity amps but it outperforms NADs. It's about on a… Read Full Review

Marantz PM7200

“The Marantz PM-7200 Audi Amplifier has received mixed...”

Written on: 15/09/2004 by JDUK (2 reviews written)

The Marantz PM-7200 Audi Amplifier has received mixed reviews. I read as much as I could before purchasing. However, so many mags HI-Fi choice and What Hi-Fi recommended it so highly I thought I would give it a go despite reading so may dissapointing reviews.

Out of the box the first problem is the sheer dimensions of the amp its a big, big amp. Add to this the heat it produces, which is considerable. You must have at least 1M vent space above the box (never,ever put anything on top of the… Read Full Review

Thax's Response to JDUK's Review

Written on: 17/10/2012

4 months!! I wouldnt want your electric bill, I have the same amp and I agree with the female vocal comment. sound so real. I enjoyed your review, its spot on!
I could never find out the power consumption funnily enough, it doesnt say on the back where it usually would (in watts). I dare say that it uses a lot of juice.
was thinking of getting some mission mx5 to put on it, but I think the house would collapse! I use mission 702e floorstanders which sound superb, but looking to upgrade. any ideas anyone? I really like dynamic type sound with decent openess.
thanks

Marantz PM7200

“Bought the Marantz pm-7200 to replace my 2 decade old...”

Written on: 07/02/2004 by davefinney (1 review written)

Bought the Marantz pm-7200 to replace my 2 decade old Technics Audio Amplifier so it shouldn't have had much competition but had to return the Marantz due to an irritatingly 'edgy' sound. This was particularly noticable on speech especially from the VCR (ie news etc) though spoiled music aswel. It seems that transients are falsely exaggerated perhaps to give the impression of detail but it doesn't work for me.

Other than this the sound is reasonable but still nothing to get excited about. The… Read Full Review

Davefinney's Response to davefinney's Review

Written on: 17/02/2004

The PM7200 has 5 star rating in What Hi-Fi and top award for 2003 in Hi-Fi choice but I cannot see why! It is available as low as about £235 (rrp £330).

Bobcat's Response to davefinney's Review

Written on: 03/05/2004

This is a great amp, power, detail and speed.