Cunard Cruises, Queen Mary 2 Reviews

• Entertainment on board

Cunard Cruises, Queen Mary 2 - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Cunard Cruises, Queen Mary 2

“too snobby & stuffy”

Written on: 01/12/2013 by timdisam (1 review written)

liked the ship itself,sailed transatlantic in very rough weather & she was brilliant. Lovely lounges to sit in, a bit confusing getting around ship but you get there eventually. Ate in buffet as don't like eating formaly,it was huge,grubby,very poor selection of food & always cold.Like a greasy spoon caf. Crew were mostly very miserable everywhere on ship. Cabin(inside)small but adequate. Entertainment pretty poor most nights. Didn't like the fact that if you ate in buffet even though we… Read Full Review

“Television”

Written on: 31/10/2013

i was very disappointed in the channels. Since we were sailing in the u.s. For most of the 12 day cruise, I wish I could have watched my soap operas or the talk shows. Too much politics… Read Full Review

“The QM2 is a tremendously massive ship ”

Written on: 11/05/2012 by williamhenry (1 review written)

The QM2 is a tremendously massive ship at 151K tons with only ½ the number of guests (2700 guest) of other similar size mega ships and a much higher crew to guest ratio. Service, service and more service! The ship is very nicely decorated with lots of history of the other Canard ships and their history and special guest pictures(Cary Grant, Burt Lancaster,etc) and descriptions of who they have hosted. We just finished the NYC to London England crossing in May 2012 with an average speed of… Read Full Review

Guest's Response to williamhenry's Review

Written on: 12/05/2012

Great review williamhenry !

Guest's Response to williamhenry's Review

Written on: 02/07/2012

I hervice has changewd ave done several trans atlantic crossing onboard the QM2 and my last one dating May 2012 was not what I expected and I am able to compare
with my other passages. S

“Dubai to Southampton”

Written on: 02/05/2012

Wife and myself early fifties quite lively. The ship is superb and very stable. We love art deco and this ship has plenty of it. We don't like to waste money on expensive cabins (state rooms) so we chose the modern equivalent to steerage. We were given an inside cabin on the 4th floor. It was quite roomy and plenty of storage. We don't much see the point of balconys, when your at sea all you can see is well, sea! The only time it's worth having is when your coming in or out of port but even… Read Full Review

“We had a table for 6 people, going to New York, there...”

Written on: 09/11/2008

We had a table for 6 people, going to New York, there was, only 2 of us on it, coming back to Southampton, there was 6 of us, 4 people from the US, and we all got on fine. We had a balcony cabin which had plenty of room. There was such a lot of food, to much for me, I loved the afternoon tea, I have written this review and going on the QM2 again next year says it all. Also If you use a wheel chair, the service is very good… Read Full Review

“We sailed from Southampton to New York so there were...”

Written on: 22/08/2008 by kikiglis1 (2 reviews written)

We sailed from Southampton to New York so there were no stop offs and we had 6 nights on board. The decor was very luxurious and service from the staff were friendly but professional. There were many activities ranging from dance lessons, discos, quoits, virtual golf, wine tastings and many more. We had a great time and would recommend, although it was not cheap!… Read Full Review

“The embarkation is like clockwork, the food...”

Written on: 23/04/2008

The embarkation is like clockwork, the food exceptional the only negative apart from the spa is that the tours are overpriced and be organised for a fraction of the cost by the yourself.
Example; Cunard organised Sorrento and Pompei from Naples
$150.00 per head
Under own steam using train stops in Pompie gardens 9 euros return admission 10 euros train to Sorrento from Pompei 9 euros return cost total 28 euros… Read Full Review

“The Queen Mary 2 is ideal if you like the smell of...”

Written on: 21/02/2011

The Queen Mary 2 is ideal if you like the smell of cigarette smoke. I waited over year before posting a review to see if the passage of time would dim the memory of poor food, the smell of cigarette smoke, the truly terrible temporary captain who seemed to think that his main task was to promote his upcoming book of anecdotes. We were in the Princess restaurant class - not cheap and not good. The door lock key card system doesn'twork, the route information system on the cabin tv doesn't… Read Full Review

Katesaab's Comment

Written on: 23/03/2011

I took the Queen Mary 2 in July 2011 from NYC to Southampton and find the reviewer's comments did not apply to our experience in any way. The trip was extremely satisfying. Oxford and Cambridge dons were lecturers, there were top flight dramatic productions, there is a good library onboard, and high tea with accompanying orchestra was enchanting. No odor of cigarette smoke (and I am extremely sensitive to same). Internet--WiFi was available in parts of the ship free to those who carried their notebooks and laptops. A wonderful trip!

“This was our first cruise ever, and what a way it was...”

Written on: 05/12/2010

This was our first cruise ever, and what a way it was to start! I traveled with my wife and 4yo son. We are Americans, although I am of European origin, and my wife is of far East Asian origin. We had an inside cabin on the 6th floor, and it was adequate. My son had a bunk bed, and loved it.

The ship is magnificent, and the entire experience is very British. I loved it! The lectures and shows were very intellectually stimulating. The children care is first class, and we used it every day… Read Full Review

West2000's Comment

Written on: 13/01/2011

I found this review helpful because... we are a similar age and travelling with our son later this year. It was good to see other Cunard passengers travelling with children as most who have posted reviews appear not to have children travelling with them.

Written on: 02/07/2012

Bottom line: if this is your first voyage onboard the QM2 you will love it.
On the other hand if this is not your first time (I am platinum) you will find that the service and food quality is decreasing. I am afraid that Cunard line is cutting cost and the brochure they send future guest does not reflect the reality of the ship. She is not a "white star service" any longer and the degradation is quite evident. They have cut down on the staff and this shows as well. They seem tired and definitely overworked.
I could write more from my experiences but this is all from now.
Michel.

Sharon Rossi's Comment

Written on: 02/02/2011

I found this review very helpful because...I have booked a cruise for the 2nd of May. I would like to think I am a positive person but forewarned if forearmed and therefore I would like to be prepared for most things i.e. by looking on the formal evening attire I found we should wear Black and White that is easy for my husband but I was going to by a lovely red dress. I shall ofcourse still do this but will make much more effort with the black one. I am looking forward to a truly wonderful experience. I have only cruised once before with Thomson and although we found the ship to be a little tired the food, entertainment and whole experience was a positive one for us. Thank you for your review. Sharon Rossi

“It was like a comedy of errors from start to finish....”

Written on: 14/11/2010 by lesley chard (1 review written)

It was like a comedy of errors from start to finish. No greeting or direction on arrival or departure. Menu choice limited and in the main cold. Our wine at dinner did not turn up until towards the end of our main course. They were sorry but said it was because they were very busy???.Our breakfast order was lost and after waiting for about half an hour our order was retaken.there again they were sorry but said they were busy. After queuing for ages for afternoon tea, there were no scones or… Read Full Review

Helenco's Response to lesley chard's Review

Written on: 24/02/2011

I found this review very helpful because... I am (or was at least!!) thinking of a cruise to New York on Queen Mary. I have provioulsy cruised with P&O and they are brilliant cruises. Probably wont bother with the Queen Mary now after a lot of negative reviews.

Darlex's reply to Helenco's Comment

Written on: 09/03/2013

I have been reviewing many comments made by people who have experienced a cruise onboard the QM2, as my family would like to do a transatlantic crossing and have found them very helpful, although due to the contrasting positives and negatives I will not venture a cruise on the pot luck that the food, service etc will be great, why take the chance on a possible bad holiday.
sadly Alex

“I was very disappointed with the QM2. The food was...”

Written on: 13/09/2010

I was very disappointed with the QM2. The food was terrible with a very limited selection. We ate one night in the Todd English resturante and the food was very bland. The average age of the patron was 80 years old. This ship is rated 5 stars but in my opinion it should be 3 stars at best. On other thing, the ship had an electrical problem in Canada and as a result the ship was six hours late returning to New York… Read Full Review

Written on: 03/06/2012

My husband and I have taken 10 cruises on the Queen Mary, 7 transatlantic and 3 Caribbean. They have all been exceptional. These people who write these terrible reviews are just complainers and wouldn't be happy with anything. The only thing I slightly agree with is that lunch in the main dining room is moe to English tastes, but there is always a delicious pasta dish on the menu. We have also traveled in all categories from inside cabin to Queen's Grill Suites, and the staff have treated very well no matter what category we were in. In fact, many have hugged us when the cruise has ended!

“A smooth transatlantic crossing although we were in...”

Written on: 10/08/2010

A smooth transatlantic crossing although we were in fog for most of the time. The ship is immaculate and the service excellent. The Royal Court singers and dancers are energetic, professional and entertaining with superb costumes. This was the first time we had a glass balcony rather than in hull and it was nice to sit out and watch the sea go by but it did mean huddling in the forward corner since these balconies are a lot more windy than the in hull balconies on decks 5 and 6.
The Queen's… Read Full Review

“This cruise was very expensive and poor value for...”

Written on: 28/07/2010

This cruise was very expensive and poor value for money. The food was very bland and waiting staff hovered over me the whole time waiting to clear the tables. The stateroom was very basic with a big gap under the adjoining door so every sound could be heard from the adjoining cabin.
The Canyon Ranch Spa was small and crowded and could do with a good revamp.
I had a hot stone massage which left me in agony.
Customer service was dire, rude unhelpful staff who just demanded more and more money… Read Full Review

Written on: 11/06/2012

My goodness doesnt sound anything like the cruise I was on.

“My partner and I just completed our six transatlantic...”

Written on: 26/07/2010

My partner and I just completed our six transatlantic sector and, sadly, on board standards are slipping somewhat. Cabins are tired, entertainment dull and lacking in imagination. Canyon Ranch is in a shocking state of repair. We've written twice now to Cunard to share my thoughts; neither letter was dignified with an answer. It's debateable whether we cruise on QM2 again… Read Full Review

“Travelled American Airlines Business Class to JFK from...”

Written on: 14/07/2010

Travelled American Airlines Business Class to JFK from Heathrow and transferred to Hilton Hotel. Separately pre-booked tour of New York - 'Onboardtours.com' from UK independently (cant do this through Cunard). Flight fine, though noisy in front seats. Transfer to Hilton by private taxi and hotel room spacious and clean. Breakfast worked out about a third more than menu by the time local taxes and tip added. The tour was a nightmare. Bone-shaker bus, air-conditioning worked from the back of… Read Full Review

“This is the most disappointing cruise my wife and I...”

Written on: 07/07/2010

This is the most disappointing cruise my wife and I have ever been on (we've completed 11 others). The food service was horrible in the Britannia dining room. Our waiter responded as though it was his first job ever on a cruise ship. The food was horribly prepared, usually cold, and always served 15-20 minutes later than surrounding guests. I received on fish entree that couldn't be cut with a knife. Incredibly poor overall and we will NEVER sail on Cunard again. Buyer Beware… Read Full Review

“My wife and I made our first booking on the Queen MaRY...”

Written on: 24/06/2010 by Harry Bergo (1 review written)

My wife and I made our first booking on the Queen MaRY 2 on Jan. 27, 2010. We booked it for April 29, so we could spend 4 days in London, the hotel cost a total of $628.00. The cost of passage on the Queen cost us $3,013.00 each. This includes trip fare, air fare, Cunard care package fare, taxes and fees and air fees. The state room we had was on the 11th floor (cabin 11143-A2). Airplane . we were on British Airways flt. 268 to London and coming home from N.Y. to Lax we were on Delta… Read Full Review

“This is our 7th cruise with Cunard the second on Queen...”

Written on: 24/05/2010

This is our 7th cruise with Cunard the second on Queen Mary 2 The ship,crew, food and service was fantastic as usual. The only down side of the cruise was that the daily and evening entertainment was poor.Not everybody likes classical piano and harp music or Shakespears plays and the singing and dancing routines in the theatre at night were not very good either.Also why most there be an art auction in the grand lobby everyday?.
But we still love Cunard cruises and we have already booked a trans… Read Full Review

“The ship board experience was fablous not a single...”

Written on: 04/05/2010

The ship board experience was fablous not a single complaint. However it had a lot of the gloss taken off it by the post voyage experience. Our itinerary was arrive new york early morning, transfer to marriott hotel on hospitality package then transfer late afternoon to airport for flight. Up last morning at 0415 to experience verrazano bridge statue of liberty etc, transfer to marriott about 0845 arriving 0930. Hospitality consisted of being dumped in a meeting room no food, no drink, nowhere… Read Full Review

“This was my second transatlantic crossing on QM2 and...”

Written on: 02/04/2010 by KirstieD (3 reviews written)

This was my second transatlantic crossing on QM2 and the second time that a piece of luggage went missing. Although luggage is not handled by Cunard staff but by independent porters (a strange situation which I believe will be corrected with the new terminal building in Southampton), Cunard staff could not have been more apolegetic or helpful. Entertainment on board is a mixed bag, generally very good but with some distinctly second rate guest entertainers at times. Overall I rate entertainment… Read Full Review