Asus A7V8X-X Reviews

• Ease of Set Up

Summary

Via Apollo Kt400 Chipset
Atx
Network Adapter
Asus A7V8X-X - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Asus A7V8X-X

Asus A7V8X-X

“A7V8X-X Motherboard: Great motherboard...with a couple...”

Written on: 09/01/2011 by bavaneche (1 review written)

A7V8X-X Motherboard: Great motherboard...with a couple of problems that don't effect each motherboard. I have 4 of these mb's and 2 of them can't go beyond the 1.5gig RAM size without constant rebooting...the other 2 are great. All 4 of them seem to have a problem with heavy weight video cards which will also cause reboots off and on. I find 64mb GeForce 2's and 4's work great. I use 512 RAM sticks on the 2 that have RAM problems and I have no problems then. On the other 2 I use a full 2 gigs… Read Full Review

Asus A7V8X-X

“I tried 3 times to load Windows XP but it kept...”

Written on: 06/10/2010

I tried 3 times to load Windows XP but it kept stopping at the format drive part of the install. Then i noticed on the boot screen that the virus protection was active in the bios. After i disabled the virus protection the motherboard no longer recognised the hard drive. It killed my hard drive. I'm up and running with a new hard drive but these things aren't cheap. Everything works fine now and i've found no problems… Read Full Review

Asus A7V8X-X

“ Asus A7V8X-X is an awesome motherboard, has been...”

Written on: 28/08/2009

Asus A7V8X-X is an awesome motherboard, has been running for five years now none stop as a server. Think just about all other components have failed apart from this board. Easy to setup, running server 2003 OS with no problems… Read Full Review

Asus A7V8X-X

“i just re-formatted my friend's computer with the asus...”

Written on: 15/07/2009

i just re-formatted my friend's computer with the asus a7v8x-x motherboard. it may be slower than my computer, but it does pretty well, now i have to hunt down the audio driver. lol. actually it's downloading right now. good: it works, goes at a good pace, doesn't overclock like crazy. bad: hard as hell to get into bios so i can change the boot cycle… Read Full Review

Asus A7V8X-X

“The first DIMM white "lock" thingy gets in the way of...”

Written on: 20/12/2007

The first DIMM white "lock" thingy gets in the way of my video card, making it harder to switch out RAM… Read Full Review

Asus A7V8X-X

“Greatest mother board for the value, with the low cost...”

Written on: 22/09/2007 by r3tr0 (1 review written)

Greatest mother board for the value, with the low cost of the components for this dated motherboard you can build one serious rig for very little bread!

My system:
80GB Matrox HD
300 Watt PSU

Fast enough for many great 3D games… Read Full Review

Asus A7V8X-X

“The ASUS A7V8X-X is a versatile and capable...”

Written on: 19/02/2006 by abdnray (4 reviews written)

The ASUS A7V8X-X is a versatile and capable motherboard that suits a variety of users.

The motherboard layout is reasonably good, and the supporting documentation is clearly set out and easy to follow. My only criticism is that the tail end of the AGP card encroaches close to the first DIMM memory slot, therefore it might be easier to remove the AGP card before inserting a new DIMM module in memory slot 1.

The motherboard can accommodate a variety of Socket A processors (Athlon XP Barton and… Read Full Review

R3Tr0's Response to abdnray's Review

Written on: 22/09/2007

I use the same board, I find it very easy to work with and have never had issues without support from Asus in form of driver or BIOS updates.

Asus A7V8X-X

“I have had the Asus A7V8X-X motherboard for 1 and a...”

Written on: 19/09/2005 by latis00 (1 review written)

I have had the Asus A7V8X-X motherboard for 1 and a 1/2 years, and it never lets me down! I have read that a lot of you have had problems with the XP setup. I recommend you go into the BIOS where there is a menu that says plug and play OS, set it to yes and it will work great!!… Read Full Review

235990_Terry Bennett's Response to latis00's Review

Written on: 27/03/2006

i have a a7v8x+x on my computer but it will not let me load windows xp pro from either floppy drive or cd rom drive and even the hdd which i have 2 of it is givving me an error that says ntldr missing. can anybody who reads this please tell me what is wrong?

Latis00's Response to latis00's Review

Written on: 14/12/2006

Well it's me again - I discovered that the mobo has some problems in the ide cables - you always have to put the cd in master 2 ide and master the install hd. If you have that problem I recommend that you get new ide cables - I had to get new cables. :S Anyway it still works fine and now I have over clocked my cpu to 2300 but added an extra fan as I don't have anymore money to get the cpu water cooled. It's still the best mobo that I've had but I'm planning on getting a new mobo soon. If you need any help just let me know.

Alpoehi's Response to latis00's Review

Written on: 05/05/2006

Guten Tag, sorry I don't speak english. NTLDR error is: cable not ok for FDD, HDD or CD-ROM. OR in BIOS 1st-Boot-Sequenz must be: Floppy or HDD or CD-ROM must be ad 1st.

Asus A7V8X-X

“I have read the other reviews about the Asus A7V8X-X...”

Written on: 30/08/2005 by mad mc01 (1 review written)

I have read the other reviews about the Asus A7V8X-X motherboard, and I have never had any problems with it! Maybe I was lucky? I don't know. I didn't need to update the BIOS for any reason, and I managed to get a Sempron to run on it, although it was displayed as an Athlon XP. It was pretty quick and easy to set up, everything running pretty smoothly. It took a variety of RAM, 64 to 1 Gig, Kingston, Crucial, Matrix, Corsair. I had it running Duron's, Athlon's, Athlon XP's, and Sempron's… Read Full Review

☆☆☆☆☆
Asus A7V8X-X

“Tried to install XP 3three or four times. The first...”

Written on: 16/07/2005 by jesse0192 (1 review written)

Tried to install XP 3three or four times. The first time the installation went alright but once I got into XP the first time I hit a key it crashed (I was typing something into the 'run' dialog but I found it doesn't matter-it crashed if I hit a key. I tried Windows a few more times with the same results (except sometimes it would let me hit two or three keys first. I reinstalled XP only to find that it had the same problem during the installation this time. Tried a few more times but it was… Read Full Review

Asus A7V8X-X

“Couple this Asus A7V8X-X board with a T-Bird 2800, and...”

Written on: 12/04/2005 by bobhughes (1 review written)

Couple this Asus A7V8X-X board with a T-Bird 2800, and you can kick the backside of most of the AMD 64's for 1/2 the price… Read Full Review

Asus A7V8X-X

“I returned my Asus A7V8X-X to the store, which I...”

Written on: 09/06/2004 by Aki14 (1 review written)

I returned my Asus A7V8X-X to the store, which I expect to have already returned the unit to ASUS for repair or replacement. The mobo is a big disappointment.

To see the point, a google search of the following will help (without the quotes): "a7v8x-x problem", "a7v8x-x crash back desktop"… Read Full Review

Deniausa's Response to 158228_Aki14's Review

Written on: 16/10/2005

This motherboard caused me innumerable hours of investigation, frustration and headaches before I could definitely prove it was at fault, and not my other periferials! Went with ABIT, and all the other same hardware, and haven't had the BSOD's since! I used to like Asus, and I've built several of my own computers since 1997, but I've heard they've really gotten cheap and they don't even support their retailers any more. No more Asus for me.

Asus A7V8X-X

“I like this Asus A7V8X-X motherboard basically, BUT I...”

Written on: 16/05/2004 by numenius (10 reviews written)

I like this Asus A7V8X-X motherboard basically, BUT I run Win98 and so far cannot get sound. I've tried e-mailing the ASUS tech help, which promises a reply in 48 hours. So far I've e-mailed 3 times over a 2 month period - no reply EVER. I've tried downloading upgrades, alternative chipset drivers and so on. To no avail.
This lack of support is a shame and lets down an otherwise good procduct. They score 8 for the product but lost 4 for the poor support… Read Full Review

Gouldpeter's Response to numenius's Review

Written on: 17/05/2004

I've got the motherboard and I love it. I did have a problem at first, but I'd put the AGP card in wrong, and they fixed it over the phone

Asus A7V8X-X

“If you want to get a good mother board get this Asus...”

Written on: 10/05/2004 by nativefalcon (1 review written)

If you want to get a good mother board get this Asus A7V8X-X, not that expensive but a definite workhorse. :)… Read Full Review

“well where to start ”

Written on: 04/05/2004 by ctx1769 (1 review written)

well where to start
1. the colour is a boring brown (bad point)
2. well this is the main review so after installing this Asus A7V8X-X motherboard and plug everything in my pc booted up 1st time unlike the nv2 mobo i had.

features my version supports upto 2800+
10/100 lan
8x agp
6 channel sound and usb 2
and its o/c if you want to go that way
but why bother
and for my £48 it was a bargain… Read Full Review

Asus A7V8X-X

“Everything seemed to be going my way while installing...”

Written on: 19/04/2004 by GallagherKnight (2 reviews written)

Everything seemed to be going my way while installing an Asus A7V8X-X until the time came to actually install my OS. It kept freezing over and over, and I noticed that this specific board was not able to properly run DDR400 ram in conjunction with my Athlon XP 2600+ that has a 333 FSB. Indeed, the manual suggests using only DDR333 with a 333 FSB... but the problems only got worse from there. It kept on refusing to run, sending me straight to the BIOS and suggesting to verify that my DDR333 ram… Read Full Review

159855_Vienski's Response to GallagherKnight's Review

Written on: 23/06/2004

You should have set the BIOS setting for the memory on SPD (serial presence detect). I have tried DDR pc 400 and ddr pc266, both works fine. I also tried combining the two memory together, still no problem. In fact, it boost the performance. I think you just missed the BIOS part of setting it to SPD.

Latis00's Response to GallagherKnight's Review

Written on: 19/09/2005

this board is great is real fast and i have up dated to xp sp2 and runs faster allot p4 and if you have the problem install windows make sure that you set to plug and play OS in the bios this should fix the problem.

☆☆☆☆☆
Asus A7V8X-X

“My Asus A7V8X-X motherboard was wnstable and failed to...”

Written on: 18/03/2004 by rst (1 review written)

My Asus A7V8X-X motherboard was wnstable and failed to load XPpro.

It seems that many others have had problems. See

www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/13212/… Read Full Review

Asus A7V8X-X

“If you buy this Asus A7V8X-X motherboard make sure you...”

Written on: 11/02/2004 by raygilliam (1 review written)

If you buy this Asus A7V8X-X motherboard make sure you buy an xp3000 proceser you might be able to use ddr3200(400) but below xp 3000 use ddr 2700 (333) mem chips only… Read Full Review

Numenius's Response to raygilliam's Review

Written on: 25/04/2004

I'm using XP2400 with PC3200 memory - runs no problem.