Vauxhall Zafira 1.8 Elegance 16V Reviews

Media Gallery for Vauxhall Zafira 1.8 Elegance 16V

Vauxhall Zafira 1.8 Elegance 16V
Vauxhall Zafira 1.8 Elegance 16V

“Was very surprised..”

Written on: 10/01/2014 by chara001 (1 review written)

Firstly I drive a 2.2 automatic and it's an elegance model. Well I have three children all under four and iv found I need to put two children right in the back and my youngest on his own in the middle row. Still find it increasingly odd that it has a lap belt. I can do approx 120 miles on £20 which is brilliant considering it's petrol. The engine is very nippy too considering it's family wagon. The interior itself will not last long at all, it's cheap and nasty and just made… Read Full Review

“its not 7 seater..it is for 4 adults and 3 children...”

Written on: 17/07/2013

its not 7 seater..it is for 4 adults and 3 children that means children means just children not good for 5 adult and 1 child… Read Full Review

“Good points: Flexible seating in the Vauxhall Zafira...”

Written on: 05/08/2009

Good points: Flexible seating in the Vauxhall Zafira 1.8 Elegance 16V is fab but back seats are only for young children or contorsionists! Cheap to tax and insure for a 7 seater. Absolute doddle to park. Be warned though for one of the nations favourite mpv's few toddler car seats fit properly in it and group 1 car seats shouldn't be used in the rear seats which limits flexibility of seating.

Bad points:
To be truthful I wish we'd never brought it! It has been to the garage it feels like… Read Full Review

“Very convenient to have very large boot most of the...”

Written on: 17/01/2009

Very convenient to have very large boot most of the time but able to get out 6th and 7th seats at a moment's notice. Nice high driving position once you get used to it. Load carrying is impressive. Despite the bad points above, I have been very pleased with my Zafira which I have had from new 5 years ago. I have 3 children of my own and it was a born for car-sharing on the school run, plus 2 of my kids learnt brass instruments. Also great for car boot sales! However, I now have only 1… Read Full Review

“We have owned our 1999 1.8 Elegance for 8 yrs & it has...”

Written on: 16/11/2008 by stevo1 (1 review written)

We have owned our 1999 1.8 Elegance for 8 yrs & it has served us well! kids are grown up now & have cars of their own. But used to get all their bikes etc stored in rear with out to many problems. We pull a small caravan and carry all my fishing gear now. Will probably keep it till it dies. One tip is KEEP it regularly serviced & change the cam belt when required & it should last a long time!… Read Full Review

“Enjoy driving it, easy and good for a family. Back...”

Written on: 18/07/2008

Enjoy driving it, easy and good for a family. Back windows not electrical, had to replace the alarm remote a couple of times… Read Full Review

“Had an 01 Elegance 2.2 until recently. Unfortunately...”

Written on: 24/02/2008

Had an 01 Elegance 2.2 until recently. Unfortunately we were hit from behind while stationary and the car was written off. I am impressed with the strength of the car because we drove it home afterwards. We had the car for 3 years and the only problem we had was with the cam chain snapping. This apparently is a known fault with these engines. We are going to buy another one but are going to steer clear of the 2.2 and probably go for the 1.8 instead… Read Full Review

“I bought a Vauxhall Zafira 1.8 Elegance 16V (its a 51...”

Written on: 27/12/2007 by knightrider (5 reviews written)

I bought a Vauxhall Zafira 1.8 Elegance 16V (its a 51 plate) 6 months ago. It's dec 2007 now, not needed anything except petrol doing roughly 30/35 to a gallon not needed oil water or anything else put a little screen wash in ready for some oil now done about 4000miles the seven seats are excellent. I have 4 children, my oldest (14) sometimes comes with us but mainly I only have the other 3 with us it takes us 5 with room in boot for a rather large Asda trip easily. We go to the coast in the… Read Full Review

“This Vauxhall Zafira 1.8 Elegance 16V is a really good...”

Written on: 20/08/2006 by peash (1 review written)

This Vauxhall Zafira 1.8 Elegance 16V is a really good car and I loved it - unfortunately I had to give it up as I couldn't afford to run it any longer as it was rather heavy on petrol but it was a very nice car. I would recommend this to people who have a big family and like room in a car - they are very comfortable and also a lovely drive… Read Full Review

“We owned this 1.8 Zafira Elegance petrol model from...”

Written on: 23/04/2006 by arianne (13 reviews written)

We owned this 1.8 Zafira Elegance petrol model from new in 2000 for 14 months. It was a company car and covered 40,000 miles. It was used for commuting into work from a Scottish country town into Edinburgh city centre and business trips along motorways and 60mph 'A' class roads.

The driving experience is mixed. In town it's fine for an MPV. Gearing is set up for nippy performance from a standing start and it's easy to drive. The driving position is satisfactory and you sit up highish with… Read Full Review

☆☆☆☆☆

“Let's get the Vauxhall Zafira Elegance good points over ”

Written on: 22/04/2006 by lcjohnny (22 reviews written)

Let's get the Vauxhall Zafira Elegance good points over
The inside is very large, very practical and well made

But
1. Ours broke down between services when the cam-belt broke (very expensive thank God it was a company car)
2. The handling was really awful it wobbled like a full sized people carrier (or an SUV !) so what is the benefit of it being a compact people carrier?
3. The wobbly handling made passengers sick and then the plush interior was hard to clean
4. It stalled in reverse -… Read Full Review

“We needed a second car that was roomy enough to ferry...”

Written on: 04/04/2006 by grahamcutting (1 review written)

We needed a second car that was roomy enough to ferry our grandchildren around but also with a van type load space when it was required. It also had to be easy to park and economical. The Zafira came up trumps in all aspects. The 7 seat system is excellent and only takes a couple of minutes to convert the Zafira from a 2 seat load carrier to a 7 seat family transporter for 4 adults and three children in good comfort. The load space is drastically reduced in 7 seat mode but this hasn't been a… Read Full Review

“I bought this Vauxhall Zafira 1.8 Elegance 16V people...”

Written on: 02/08/2004 by cafemaestro (1 review written)

I bought this Vauxhall Zafira 1.8 Elegance 16V people carrier new in 2000 and have run it for 36,000 miles. It is fully serviced (av. cost of service around £150-200) and runs well. It is essentially a 7-seater Astra estate and as such it is an average car that performs slightly above average. The steering is light, the engine willing enough and the size is no bigger than an ordinary car, making it easy to park and manouvre around town. The seven seats are great - the layout can be adjusted in… Read Full Review

Nicotine's Response to 164623_cafemaestro's Review

Written on: 09/10/2004

I have ownned two 1.8 Zafiras, the 1.8 Zafira has no Turbo fitted.

Whitespin's Response to 164623_cafemaestro's Review

Written on: 11/05/2006

If this is the 2 litre diesel the lag when pulling away from roundabouts etc is almost certainly due to the air intake flow meter failing. It will take 2 minutes to test at any diesel specialists and cost about £200 for a new unit and 10 minutes to fit. The oil burning is quite common with diesels and usually get less after 40,000 miles.

Zebedee3212002's Response to 164623_cafemaestro's Review

Written on: 15/10/2004

1.8 turbo diesel? I think they mean 2.0LTR DTI.

“I would not recommend a Vauxhall Zafira to any one....”

Written on: 19/06/2004 by darth75 (1 review written)

I would not recommend a Vauxhall Zafira to any one. (see above points)… Read Full Review

Dean10Gi's Response to darth75's Review

Written on: 03/01/2006

I think that the Zafira 1.8 elegance is excellent because my daughter is in a wheelchair and it will fit inside with all 7 seats in use.

Denisoag's Response to darth75's Review

Written on: 24/07/2006

I have owned a Zafira 1.8 Elegance for just short of 4 years. I have to say that it has proved to be a very reliable, economic and extremely versatile car. Maybe not the most exciting ride or imaginative interior, but there can be few vehicles of its size which can be converted from car, to mini-bus to van with such ease. I bought the car from new and added a few extras such as sun roof, tinted glass, trip computer and cruise control, all of which added to the driving experience. The main reason for purchasing a Zafira was to accommodate an expanding family with accompanying accoutrements and I must say that it has fulfilled the various roles of people carrier, load carrier and commuter vehicle splendidly. The Zafira's cargo-carrying capacity has proved very useful for camping expeditions, holidays and, less glamourously, visits to the local municipal recycling facility.
<br/>In terms of reliability, I have had to replace a pair of shock absorbers (courtesy of our local council&#039;s manic obsession with speed bumps) and the front wipers, but otherwise it has been in the garage only for servicing and its first MOT. Admittedly, I have only covered 21,000 miles in 4 years but the Zafira has done all that I have asked of it and I will miss it when I exchange it tomorrow for an X-type Jaguar (Well, the family is growing up and its my turn for some fun!)

Lcjohnny's Response to darth75's Review

Written on: 22/04/2006

I agree that the inside is excellent but the engine is so unreliable it is more likely to be stationary - and if it ever does move the handling is so poor she will probably feel sick. a caravan not a car.