Honda HRV 1.6i 4WD Reviews

Media Gallery for Honda HRV 1.6i 4WD

Honda HRV 1.6i 4WD
Honda HRV 1.6i 4WD

“Best Car Weve Ever Had”

Written on: 05/03/2013 by kubelwagen (1 review written)

Bought HAZEL? last week, hrv 1.6 not v-tec 49,000 on clock,03 reg silver 5 doors Mr BEAGLE loves it lots of room for him on back seat, easily pulls away from lights in 2nd and even 3rd, returns 29/31 around houses on way to work 3mls away, bodywork overall in good condition, a little rust on top of rear doors, can pick up decent tyres for around £70, excellent cd player just bought skoda Octavia estate door protection strips they fit alright and are £28,overall wife loves it! mr beagle loves… Read Full Review

“12 years and it just keeps going on and on and on and...”

Written on: 08/03/2012

I bought my hrv (manual 4door non v-tec) in november 2000 when the car was 9 months old with 6000 miles on the clock. It has just clocked 100k with the only expenditure of two sets of tyres, two headlamp bulbs, services,mots, road fund licence and fuel. Bodywork still looks fantastic and still looks great on the drive. 4 wheel drive kicks in when needed,two sets of golf clubs and trollies fit in the back comfortably and my one regret is that Honda do not produce an hrv2. I hope this is not… Read Full Review

Guest's Comment

Written on: 01/04/2012

I also bought my HRV when it was 6months old in 2002. Not a moments worry with minimal expenditure. Why on earth did they stop making this fabulous characterful workhorse? Honda you are mad!!!

Dom37's Comment

Written on: 07/08/2012

are the 4wd's not all v-tec's??

Guest's Comment

Written on: 08/05/2012

Yes, have got 2 of these (manual) FANTASTIC cars, very versatile and great handling for its class. I want to buy them all !

“I bought my 3d HRV in Helsinki after a frightening...”

Written on: 26/04/2011

I bought my 3d HRV in Helsinki after a frightening winter trying to drive my volvo 740 on their Ice covered motorways. The Volvo handled like a boat!

Bought the honda second owner 90,000kms on tyhe clock.

The hydrolic 4wd box died in the dealers carpark when I collected the car, but was replaced on warranty.
The service to replace the cam-belts cost a fortune, but since, I have put another 120,000 on the clock without any issues.

Bought a small trailer, which I twice forgot about… Read Full Review

Rabbithutch's Comment

Written on: 22/10/2013

I'm about to buy an 06 105hp model.Can you tell me at what mileage the cam belt needs changing?

“The HR-V was good idea ruined by the CVT gearbox which...”

Written on: 07/04/2011

The HR-V was good idea ruined by the CVT gearbox which is a toy better suited to snowmobiles. The gearbox in my 2 door blew up just after warranty expired. All tarmac driving(no snow in NE Aust). Honda Australia did come to my rescue though when it failed on a country trip, gave me a replacement car to get where I was going, completely replaced the gearbox for free. When I sold it 8 months later, the replacement was also failing, so I gave up on it. Rubber-band gearbox just didn't cut it I'm… Read Full Review

“Like a fine wine - the appeal of this vehicle just...”

Written on: 01/03/2011 by dom37 (1 review written)

Like a fine wine - the appeal of this vehicle just gets better. Compact and light. Still looking "new". Nothing available these days to compare it to as far as I can tell. Come on Honda....start working on the HR-V 2… Read Full Review

“prior to my HRV I had a Z4, Boxster and AMG in that...”

Written on: 06/01/2011

prior to my HRV I had a Z4, Boxster and AMG in that order but needed something cheap and practical. I've owned my black 3dr non vtec HRV for 3 years,1 owner before me and only a low mileage of 15,000 on the clock when bought. A great car in the winter and just as good in the summer with it's A.C. Can't fault it in any way. Starts first time every time, cuts through the worst of snow, uphill and downhill I left other cars standing in winter 2010, great handling for it's class. Other than tyres… Read Full Review

“I have owned this vehicle for nearly three years now...”

Written on: 24/12/2010 by Marvin666 (5 reviews written)

I have owned this vehicle for nearly three years now and it has proved itself yet again this winter, (December 2010). Why is it that some people believe that all four wheel drive vehicles are designed just to take short cuts over farmer's fields. The four wheel drive system with an HRV is there as a safety feature for safe driving on icy roads. With that nonsense out of the way, the four wheel drive system is hydraulically activated when the front wheels lose traction, and it works beautifully… Read Full Review

“I have owned 4 HRVs and currently own 2 silver CVT...”

Written on: 17/06/2010

I have owned 4 HRVs and currently own 2 silver CVT transmission 4 doors. They are extremely reliable and can deal with urban streets as well as long journeys vet well (eg London to Stockholm in 2 days cruising at high speed - done several times so far). I have thrashed all of my cars with my driving style, but they perform uncomplainingly. The things you have to watch out for are all minor:

CVT Judder (3 out of my 4 HRVs had this) but which can be fixed simply by changing the transmission oil… Read Full Review

Guethary's Comment

Written on: 28/08/2010

I found this review very helpful because he confirmed all my thoughts on the car, though i have a love for another Honda more!
<br/>The HRV i have is silver with 3 doors. Black tinted windows and black leather seats really make it stand out and stylish inside. The original seats aren't too attractive, though adequate. I had problem with CVT but Honda dealt with it for no fee, because it had been identified as a manufacturing problem. They would replace up to 60,000 miles, irrespective of age. Quite remarkable. I know of no other car manufacturer who would do this.
<br/>However i LOVE the old 1984-1987 Honda preludes. I have now manegd to buy two. They drive like a dream and are the most comfortable as well as exhilarating drive. the build is amazing and the features on such an old car incredible-electric everything. Steering you can do with one finger and the engine even at 120,000 is like new. original clutch is now wearing a bit! gear shift, as new. You ahve to watch rust in a few places...
<br/>OK...going off the point but maybe its an interesting read for someone!

“I recently noticed that the power steering flywheel is...”

Written on: 27/04/2010

I recently noticed that the power steering flywheel is wobbling can anyone please shed light on its cause and how to correct it.
Cheers Gregg… Read Full Review

“I've really tried my HRV out this last winter...”

Written on: 25/04/2010

I've really tried my HRV out this last winter (2009/2010) not once has it let me down, started first time every day in temperatures of -10C. Climbed up our steep drive in almost a foot of snow, traction on snow covered/un-gritted roads as sure as in normal conditions. Only one day didn't risk driving it that was when all local roads were covered in black ice/freezing rain. Otherwise, the serious snpow was no problem. Why on earth did thye stop manufauring this model?… Read Full Review

“I don't know why such car is no more produced inspite...”

Written on: 18/03/2010 by nabilam (1 review written)

I don't know why such car is no more produced inspite its success in our countary… Read Full Review

“We are on our second HR-V. Both have been pre...”

Written on: 22/02/2010

We are on our second HR-V. Both have been pre registered with delivery mileage only. Our Green 2002(52) model was traded in for a black 2005(55) VTEC.
All later models have the VTEC engine and the extra power is a bonus although if ever a car could do with an 1800cc engine this is it. If you are thinking of buying a HR-V get one with a VTEC engine. They are great to drive, very practical, extremely reliable cars.
Downside:- The best mpg you'll get is around 34 for mixed conditions. Tyres are… Read Full Review

“Practical and fun, not many around. Looks unusual -...”

Written on: 04/10/2009 by Harvey1 (1 review written)

Practical and fun, not many around. Looks unusual - timeless looks that don't date, attracts attention & comments (all good!). We've had this car from new, 38k on clock and no bills except servicing. Air conditioning is efficient - super cool straightaway. Handles well, steering is responsive, braking excellent (nobody is in any doubt that you're stopping with the bright high level led brake lights!). Before I made this purchase I would have liked to have known why they stopped making them… Read Full Review

Markster's Response to Harvey1's Review

Written on: 17/02/2010

I found this review very helpful because... very honest and truthfull.

“The Honda HRV 1.6i 4WD is a great car to have and to...”

Written on: 19/08/2009

The Honda HRV 1.6i 4WD is a great car to have and to look at. It stands out from the crowd and there's never a danger of pulling up next to your twin at the traffic lights. Enjoyable and smooth ride on road (or mild 4WD offroading), spacious layout inside for 4 and a small-medium dog, easy to park, and reliable. Not a hatchback, not a 4x4, but a Crossover for all occasions. The only downfall is it isn't very economical for a 1.6L, although the vtec engine provides plenty of power for a 1.6L… Read Full Review

“Wow Honda HRV one of the most reliable objects you can...”

Written on: 30/04/2009 by priyankahemachandra (1 review written)

Wow Honda HRV one of the most reliable objects you can have in your life,believe me I have one and its almost bullet proof..I have no complaints about Honda HRV manual transmission 2wd 5 door suv I'm brave enough to say that this is the best practical suv on earth.The only point against this magic machine is the comfort factor it's an suv though.I thank Honda for making it so simple & amazing while being so entertaining & reliable,wel done guys… Read Full Review

“if you want reliability, the Honda HRV 1.6i 4WD is the...”

Written on: 10/01/2009 by michaeljohndoyle (1 review written)

if you want reliability, the Honda HRV 1.6i 4WD is the car, i bought this HRV with 12,000 miles on it, now 8 years, and with 91,000 miles on the clock, it has never let me down, nothing has ever gone wrong.
just normal servicing. and it really is a unique looking car, and classless. I just love it. I wish i had the money too buy a new one, in black… Read Full Review

Priyankahemachandra's Response to michaeljohndoyle's Review

Written on: 06/05/2009

Priyanka Hemachandra...
<br/>I agree with this review because...it's all absolutely true.Honda HRV is a magic machine once again.It handles superbly,moves really wel and reliable than you could ever believe.Therefore I'm more than happy to agree with the mentioned comment

Rabbithutch's Response to michaeljohndoyle's Review

Written on: 22/10/2013

Hi
I'm about to buy an 06 105hp model,could you tell me at what mileage should the cam belt be changed?
Thanks

“I am a retired man and use the car very carefuully....”

Written on: 26/11/2008

I am a retired man and use the car very carefuully. But during therecent cold weather spell, I cannot open my boot lid remotely or manually with the key.
Has anyone got any advice! I will appreciate greatly… Read Full Review

Bazzz's Comment

Written on: 23/02/2010

This suggestion comes a bit late but only just read your review comment. At plumbers merchant buy a small pot of silicone grease (used for lubricating plastic pipes). Carefully dry the rubber seals round all doors/tailgate then SPARINGLY wipe with the silicone gease (on a finger or cloth). Do this each Autumn and never have doors frozen shut again.

John Lankester's Comment

Written on: 29/01/2011

The handle gets stuck in the 'open' position in my experience, so make sure it is pushed away from you then operate the key, lock and unlock, best manually and then try the handle and the rear door should un-fasten.
<br/>John

“There is a fault with the CVT start clutch that...”

Written on: 12/11/2008 by lynn hodd (1 review written)

There is a fault with the CVT start clutch that instead of recalling Honda extended the warranty to 7 or 10 years (depending on the model). You then have to fight with them to get it replaced… Read Full Review

Dennis The Menace's Response to 417117_lynn hodd's Review

Written on: 28/08/2009

I found this review very helpful because... I have an HRV and my auto box has this starting off fault so I will be getting in touch with Honda..

“Reliable. Eye catching looks. not many on the road....”

Written on: 25/10/2008 by samantha red (1 review written)

Reliable. Eye catching looks. not many on the road. Responsive. Good cornering roll and grip. Good fuel economy. Good engineering and manufacturing standards. A car I would highly recommend. Like all cars it is not perfect. It has strenghs and limitations… Read Full Review

“Judders when moving off. Lost transmission on...”

Written on: 24/09/2008 by Another (1 review written)

Judders when moving off. Lost transmission on motorway, possibly due to gearbox overheating? Started to pull away normally once it had cooled down. Took approx 3 hours. I would like to know if anyone has come across the above mentioned problem… Read Full Review

417117_Lynn Hodd's Response to 404335_Another's Review

Written on: 12/11/2008

There is a problem with the start clutch on the Honda Hrv. This is covered by a 7 or 10 year warranty depending on your model. Ring Honda and get them to fit a new clutch.