Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Reviews

Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo

Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo

“I purchased my Jeep Grand Cherokee with 100k miles and...”

Written on: 18/11/2008 by Kevin G (1 review written)

I purchased my Jeep Grand Cherokee with 100k miles and knock on wood it has been an excellent drive for me, and I have over 200k on it now. I love the Jeeps and just wish I could afford a new one… Read Full Review

“Overall a very good car, although I would buy a 2006...”

Written on: 01/05/2008

Overall a very good car, although I would buy a 2006 rather than the 2000. Very comfortable and stable on the road or off road, even with 2-3" lift kits, excellent transmitions and electrics… Read Full Review

“The Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo is a comfortable...”

Written on: 20/12/2007 by mim1961 (1 review written)

The Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo is a comfortable vehicle. However in my opinion, it has expensive parts. I think it would be cheaper to buy a new one rather than fixing them. Good luxury equipment with leather seats but too expensive to run without a power you expect from 4 Litre engine… Read Full Review

“Great SUV, very capable, enough for a family road...”

Written on: 16/12/2007

Great SUV, very capable, enough for a family road trip, fun to drive… Read Full Review

“I would buy another Chrysler Jeep I have been very...”

Written on: 12/10/2007 by Denise Frick (1 review written)

I would buy another Chrysler Jeep I have been very satisfied with her and she is the longest vehicle I have owned before part exchanging. I have only had problem with electrics after one year of purchase, but it still was ok to drive, it was sorted out under warranty and I have never had any more problems since (touch wood). It is lovely to drive, I feel very safe in her and she looks beautiful… Read Full Review

“I have a 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4. ”

Written on: 01/12/2004 by ryanbush81 (1 review written)

I have a 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4.
So far I have repaired:
-Fuel pump 97,000 miles
-Fan clutch replaced 99,000
-Front Brake Calibers 110,000
-Oil Gasket by elbow oil filter holder 113,000
-Air Condition recharge 120,000 ; 135,000 ; 148,000
-Alternator bearings 155,000
And Currently there is a minor oil leak coming from the head gasket

I have worked this Jeep very hard. I take it off road every chance I get. Mud, snow, rocks and anything else I happened to drive by. I love this… Read Full Review

☆☆☆☆☆

“When buying an expensive asset such as a car, the...”

Written on: 26/04/2004 by jbluett (1 review written)

When buying an expensive asset such as a car, the company from which you buy it is just as important as the good which you are buying. It is unfortunate that Chysler is a dishonest company with little concern for corporate responsibility and correcting a mistake it made which is very dangerous to its customers. I will never buy a Chrysler product again while its current management and lack of values are reigning the company… Read Full Review

Podedwards's Response to 153140_jbluett's Review

Written on: 31/05/2006

Brake rotors warping is a common problem for all cars made in the last 20 years when repeated hard braking occurs and if the vehicle is driven into water with high brake rotor temperatures.

“Bought my 2000 Jeep GCL 6 cyl 2/03 with 43,000 mi on...”

Written on: 14/04/2004 by hzleyz22 (1 review written)

Bought my 2000 Jeep GCL 6 cyl 2/03 with 43,000 mi on it. Ever since then, I had to take it back to the dealer for these problems:
1. The Gas gauge only went half way up...even when full so I had to get the whole module replaced.
2. The cruise control stopped working
3. The air conditioner/heat stopped blowing through the main vents and only blew out the vent for the defroster.
4. The front driver side keyless entry automatic latch made this horrendous noise and didn't open all the time. (… Read Full Review

“Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo: The relay for the fan...”

Written on: 03/04/2004 by pgrow (1 review written)

Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo: The relay for the fan wasn't working propperly and the themos dat was sticking. I have an extended waranty with a $100.00 deductable. I sure hope I won't have more trouble with it, It will cost me $100.00 everytime I take it to the dealer!!… Read Full Review

“The Jeep Grand Cherokees (ZJ from 1993 to 1998) and...”

Written on: 28/03/2004 by EMS Paramedic (3 reviews written)

The Jeep Grand Cherokees (ZJ from 1993 to 1998) and (WJ from 1999 to present) are a great vehicle.

On-road the vehicle drives very smooth without problems, depending on the transfer case 4WD or 2WD both drive great.
The NP242 (Selec-Trac) Transfer Case is the recommended transfer case for off-roading enthuisests as it allows you to choose from 2WD, 4x4 FULL-TIME, 4x4 PART-TIME and 4x4 LO-LOCK.
The NP231 (Command-Trac) Transfer Case is good for the beginning off-roader or one who does not… Read Full Review

☆☆☆☆☆

“I have absolutely nothing good to say about my 2000...”

Written on: 04/03/2004 by JunkerJeep (1 review written)

I have absolutely nothing good to say about my 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo! I will NEVER buy another Chrysler product. I've had FIVE sets of front rotors and brake pads put on, rebuilt transfer case/differentials, replaced wheel bearings, motors for two door locks had to be replaced, motor for window operator had to be replaced, replaced catalytic converter and now I'm having the transmission checked - think that's on it's way out also. I'm not messing with Chrysler products any longer -… Read Full Review

“The Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo is my first and last...”

Written on: 26/02/2004 by JMR774 (1 review written)

The Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo is my first and last Chrysler vehicle! It has more problems than Picaso's got paint! I finally solved one by accident. The rear end would "clunk" when I came to a stop. I put new Edelbrock Performer IAS shocks, and 2 inch coil spring spacers on the P.O.S. It looks better, and it stopped the clunk in the rear. I also had bent exaust valves that made it idle really rough. Those were replaced! All-in-all it's an expesive piece of junk! Also, try buying new front… Read Full Review

“I have a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. I purchased...”

Written on: 26/02/2004 by jbush2 (1 review written)

I have a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. I purchased it used with low miles. At 36K front rotors needed turning, at 46K front rotors needed replacing, now at 62K I am experiencing "warped rotor syndrome" again. What a piece of junk! Chrysler should have been forced to recall these vehicles because this is a seriously dangerous problem. How do they get away with this? I will never buy another Chrysler product again… Read Full Review

“At the Big 3 Brake Symposium 2002 Chysler is reported...”

Written on: 07/02/2004 by kmlee (1 review written)

At the Big 3 Brake Symposium 2002 Chysler is reported to admit the following:
- Takes a lot of heat (cherry red) to warp rotorrs, so main cause of rotor variation is not heat, but uneven wear. New calipers now available through chrysler dealers to solve the problem.
- Rotor Quality: Chrysler only uses damped cast iron. Is better than standard gray iron. But is softer and wears more when aggressive aftermarket pads are installed. ROtor quality and noise characteristics vary a great deal… Read Full Review

Joe008's Response to kmlee's Review

Written on: 27/07/2005

Is everyone stupid? I was a brake specialist for 20+ years. For the last 5 years I have been studying the laws of physics with my own research lab. When they first came out with "semi metallic" pads (early 80's) There has been nothing but warpage!!!! When metal rubs against metal there is an uneven trade-off of "METAL"! No unusually high heat. My first Jeep Gran Cherokee was a 2001. I drive like a person trying to keep everything perfect forever. Literally "I drive like a little old lady". Everything I own is in pristene condition. Yet, My Jeep rotors were warped every 6000 miles. At first I thought it was a fluke. After 12100 It happened again. But the dealer said they would only warrant the brakes 12000 miles but agreed to turn them. They lasted til 15000 miles. I traded the SUV in for a 2002 Jeep Gran Cherokee. Low and behold at 6000 it was back in the shop. This time I had taken it to a different dealer. They said the brakes were guarenteed for 36 months or 36000 miles. I had taken it back 6 times before the warranty ran out. But good news.....NAPA finally carries Acobano Organic Brake pads. They are the key for never warping. They will last an opproximately 40+K miles. But sure beats 6K for 2 rotors. I recommend Raybestos rotors for replacement. They can be purchased at PepBoys for 54.99 each. Don't have the rotors turned because they may be true but they are more than likely to be wobbly and cause the calipers to slide back and forth causing noise and wear.

☆☆☆☆☆

“My Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo runs horrible. Its the...”

Written on: 31/12/2003 by ckinc90 (1 review written)

My Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo runs horrible. Its the worst vehicle and the most expensive i've bought in my life. I regret the fact that i own a Jeep. Someone please listen...........TELL ALL OF YOUR FRIENDS DO NOT BUY A JEEP repeat DO NOT BUY A JEEP… Read Full Review

“I have a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee and I have owned it...”

Written on: 23/04/2003 by Stalln Jeep. (1 review written)

I have a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee and I have owned it for about 1 years and It has been in the shop 3 time for fast warping rotors/brakes. Is there any information that any one can give me so that I can get this fixed for good. Any help would very appreciate… Read Full Review

168722_Mmouton's Response to 91354_Stalln Jeep.'s Review

Written on: 05/09/2004

Replace your front rotors with Powerstop cross drilled rotors and some decent pads. This will cost you about $250 and will totally eliminate the braking problem for good. This is a problem with many heavy, late model SUV's not just jeep. Hope this helps
<br>
<br>Mouton

“I have a 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo Now It's almost...”

Written on: 06/01/2003 by Mohareb. (1 review written)

I have a 2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo Now It's almost 30.000 M and so far I have no problems at all… Read Full Review

“Overall, the Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo is a pretty...”

Written on: 28/10/2002 by Afrotrini79. (1 review written)

Overall, the Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo is a pretty vehicle, unfortunately, as soon as it begins to move the problems begin, starting with the brakes… Read Full Review

Stalln Jeep.'s Response to Afrotrini79.'s Review

Written on: 23/04/2003

I have a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee and I have owned it for about 1½ years and It has been in the shop 3 time for fast warping rotors/brakes. Is there any information that any one can give me so that I can get this fixed for good. Any help would very appreciate.
<br>
<br>Thanks
<br>Austin

204250_Andcom's Response to Afrotrini79.'s Review

Written on: 31/07/2005

www.kgglaw.com/investor/jgc.html
<br>There is a building class action lawsuit for the rotor problem. Everyone who's had to replace rotors before 60k miles or even 75k miles should be on the list.
<br>Go to the link above to get more info. And good luck to all.

Kanzi's Response to Afrotrini79.'s Review

Written on: 21/06/2004

The Jeep shop finally replaced my shuddering front rotors after a long battle (by threatening the lemon law, which you have to catch before 18k miles). They told me that in their opinion the warped rotor problem is mostly due to people not letting off the handbrake on the v8 because you can't tell the brake is stopping you due to the low end power and you can go a long way and heat the pads and rotors up a lot before you realize. NOT ME FOR SURE, but it's an interesting thought.

Tkspring1855's Response to Afrotrini79.'s Review

Written on: 28/01/2004

I just bought a JGC 2004 last week. Im concerned that there are so many problems regarding breaks. Just this week, I had to hit the brakes as there was ice and snow. The "anti lock" brakes did not lock up, but the grinding noises and pulsating break pedals made me wonder....And now I read these reviews. Is this common???

Afrotrini79's Response to Afrotrini79.'s Review

Written on: 28/12/2003

To fix the problem with the warped rotors, the stock rotors must be replaced with a quality after market slotted rotor. I am currently using slotted rotors from a company called "Power Slot". So far, I have driven 20k miles without a shutter or any braking problems. The problem with the Jeep's front rotors are that they are poor quality and do not effectively allow heat to disapate from the rotor during high speed braking. The build of heat softens the rotor and warps it. Slotted rotors dissapate heat more effectively and keep the brakes from warping. An added bonus to having slotted rotors is that they also keep your brake pad surface clean for more efficient braking. The rotors along with new pads cost about $350 dollars, but they are well worth the hassle free operation of your Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Kanzi's Response to Afrotrini79.'s Review

Written on: 22/12/2003

Same thing is happening to me and the service guys seem to be in denial about it. my local shop told me it was very common in this model. i have a 2002 GC Laredo.
<br>the disc problem is obvious when you apply brakes when going slow (around 5mph) but it gets really bad, with the steering wheel shuddering, starting around 50mph
<br>Any ideas on how I can get them to deal with the problem under warranty?
<br>thanx