Olympus C-50 Zoom Reviews

Resolution 5
Optical Zoom 3
Battery Type Rechargeable

Features:
  • 5.0 megapixel sensor creates 2,560 x 1,920 images for prints at 11 x 14 and beyond
  • 3x optical zoom and 4x digital zoom for 12x total
  • Included 32 MB XD memory card holds 26 images at normal setting and 2560 pixel resolution
  • Connects with PCs and Macs via USB port
  • Uses 1 rechargeable Li-ion LI-10B battery (included)
  • Refine your search

“Very impressive small compact camera. Easy to use....”

Written on: 27/02/2008

Very impressive small compact camera. Easy to use. Excellent quality pictures… Read Full Review

“Would buy this Olympus as a first digital camera.”

Written on: 23/08/2007 by r j talbott (1 review written)

Would buy this Olympus as a first digital camera… Read Full Review

“The Olympus Camedia C-50 was my first compact digital...”

Written on: 16/11/2005 by alexuk (2 reviews written)

The Olympus Camedia C-50 was my first compact digital camera. Although a bit bulky, I was very happy with the results. Picture quality never let me down and the camera allows full manual settings. Unfortunately the screen is too small and difficult to check the results especially in bright sunlight. Also, quite annoying the fact that one has to close the lense to review the pictures taken. On the whole I think it's very good quality camera… Read Full Review

“Olympus C-50 Zoom - My first digital, but didn't last...”

Written on: 25/07/2005 by briscie (1 review written)

Olympus C-50 Zoom - My first digital, but didn't last more than a year.

Took reasonably good shots, although shutter delay very frustrating. Let me down on a holiday in Cuba - electronic fault prevented display from working. By the time I'd got home & contacted Olympus, the guarantee was up and they wanted to charge me £129 to fix (for a software fault!!!).

Suffice to say Olympus will never have my custom again… Read Full Review

“I find this Olympus C-50 Zoom digital camera very...”

Written on: 12/03/2004 by stevemanlow (1 review written)

I find this Olympus C-50 Zoom digital camera very impressive for such a small unit. Everyday subjects are tackled with ease but low light and fast moving subjects prove more than challenging. The results are more than satisfactory and enlarge easily to 10x8 and beyond.Colour balance is good in all aspects especially skin tones.A slow start up and no sound to mpeg movies are two major flaws to this camera but I would still reccomend it to a newcomer or eager amatuer… Read Full Review

“I've had several cameras, both normal and digital, but...”

Written on: 06/05/2003 by Chrace. (1 review written)

I've had several cameras, both normal and digital, but none of them (even if more expensive) have had as good picture quality as this baby. The 5 Mpix of course helps but the real bonus is in the colours - they are really, really good - and when given time to focus the crispness of the pictures is of very high standard.

To mention the camera's downsides:

You have to close the lense cover to review images, the autofocus takes slightly too long to make the camera a real point-and-shoot (though… Read Full Review

101831_Wayne.'s Response to 95374_Chrace.'s Review

Written on: 27/05/2003

mm...just push the quickview button twice (or three times?) next to the LCD will made c50 enter the review mode rite the way, pushing twice (or three times?) will toggle the LCD back into live preview mode, no need to slide the cover at all. I do love my c50, I can play with it all day with a fully charged battery, filling up 200 pics into my 256mb xd card in HQ quality. The only downside is I've been talked into buying an extra battery when I purchase the camera, which I seldom need to use.

177249_Neiltate's Response to 95374_Chrace.'s Review

Written on: 17/11/2004

Totally agree with this review but one point you (and many others) are mistaken on is having to shut the lens to reivew the pictures you've already taken. Just double press the button to the right of the LCD to go to view mode and do the same again to get back to shooting mode :)

121621_Peter25's Response to 95374_Chrace.'s Review

Written on: 16/02/2004

Thanks for the great review, you convinced me to choose this as my first digital camera. Id been wanting to buy a camera for a while and when I saw that Amazon were running a deal- the camera, a 64mb xd card and an extra battery all for £249.99 including p&p I had to buy one! It should arrive in 3-5 days and I can’t wait! All I need to find now is a case at a reasonable price to complete the set.

111222_Chris.'s Response to 95374_Chrace.'s Review

Written on: 27/06/2003

On the red eye note... there is a function of the flash button that if you press it while in camera mode until you see the eyeball icon, it'll go into red eye reduction flash mode which works very well. I was really annoyed by the fact that I had to close my lens cover but now I just found out that I can hit the monitor (quickview) button twice (which isn't anywhere in the manual or on the Olympus website) and it goes right to review mode. Yipee! =P

“The Olympus C50 was a BIG disappointment after my...”

Written on: 07/02/2003 by BearUK. (1 review written)

The Olympus C50 was a BIG disappointment after my C40. The camera is well made, a great size and shape, and has a decent zoom lens. The wireless remote is a nice touch too. However, in comparison to my C40, the lack of the top LCD panel means the color screen has to come on every time you want to check the resolution, number of remaining shots, flash status etc. The C40 has a mic and speaker for the quicktime movies. OK, so the quality of the movies is pretty poor, but it's just a nice touch… Read Full Review

89356_Bigjon.'s Response to 71209_BearUK.'s Review

Written on: 15/04/2003

The C40 is a great camera and the C50 was never meant to replace it. I love my C50, the pictures are much more clear and give me opportunity to edit and touch up as I see fit. I'm tired of grumpy old men that want their old computer, car and wife.

98303_Tim.'s Response to 71209_BearUK.'s Review

Written on: 15/05/2003

I think yours is faulty, I have never had any trouble getting mine to focus in any lighting conditions. I have taken perfectly clear pictures in almost pitch black rooms.
    <br>
    <br>Tim

Edith.'s Response to 71209_BearUK.'s Review

Written on: 11/05/2003

how can you let me have your phone for student used i will so much appreciate your mine line .
    <br>thanks

“Comparing the C50 to my existing C40, I am not...”

Written on: 07/02/2003 by BearUK. (1 review written)

Comparing the C50 to my existing C40, I am not impressed. The 3x zoom is just that little bit better than the 2.8x on the C40, and the shape is better. However, you lose the top LCD of the C40 that lets you know so many things. The colour screen has to come on every time you want to check the resolution, number of remaining images, flash status, battery life, plus the C50 has no built in noise reduction for those night shots. The C40 has a microphone and speaker to capture sound on quicktime… Read Full Review

“Very poor manual. Olympus told me they would sell me a...”

Written on: 06/02/2003 by Bill. (1 review written)

Very poor manual. Olympus told me they would sell me a user manual for the RM-1 Remote Control. For $10 ! WoW what a deal they sell you a camera then sell you a manual to teach you how to use it. The RM-1 remote is not in the basic manual that comes with the C-50Z. The basic manual is poorly written and very hard to follow. The Li-10B battery is over priced! $70 is outrageous!… Read Full Review

93587_Chrace.'s Response to 70877_Bill.'s Review

Written on: 30/04/2003

Then buy a Sony or similar and you'll get "Cameras for Dummies" for free along with so many thingies and blinks and buttons that you can't ever ask for more - BUT you'd of course have to settle with lousy picture quality instead of having very, VERY good crisp 5Mpix true color pictures. I wouldn't advice the C50 to my grandmother but for anyone with minor understanding of photographing and technology this is a great camera!

Keithh001's Response to 70877_Bill.'s Review

Written on: 09/01/2004

My C50 zoom came with a booklet manual AND a more comprehensive CD-Rom; The instructions for the remote are on P.57 of the CD-Rom!

98416_Bobbi.'s Response to 70877_Bill.'s Review

Written on: 16/05/2003

I think the camera is great! I agree that the lack of a manual for the remote is ridiculous. Curious what you did about it - did you end up purchasing or figure out how to use it?

“This camera is the one I have waited for for quite...”

Written on: 22/12/2002 by Sam. (1 review written)

This camera is the one I have waited for for quite some time. The size, ease of use and picture quality is unreal I would recommend this camera to anyone who is looking for xcellent quality photos with the ease of carrying the camera with you wherever you go. If your looking for just plain photos without tremendous detail and true color get something else This is a true perfectionist camera. RECOMMENDED!!!!!!!!!!… Read Full Review

60847_Nick Gusset.'s Response to 59684_Sam.'s Review

Written on: 28/12/2002

This camera is top of the pops. I nearly bought a d 550 but it felt too plasticy. The fact that this d c has 5 mp's is just the start. I am no expert camera user but found that all of the features were simple to use after a couple of hours.

86040_Scar.'s Response to 59684_Sam.'s Review

Written on: 04/04/2003

but the flash is so weak that taking indoor picture is a nightmare.

Hc Yeap.'s Response to 59684_Sam.'s Review

Written on: 14/02/2003

Could agree with you more. I have finally found a camera which is compact, yet fully manual and easy to use. The picture quality is excellent and features are unmatch thus far.
    No more lugging the bulky EOS with me, this little baby can do the job