Toyota Corolla 1.4 T2 Reviews

• Performance

• Practicality

• Reliability

Toyota Corolla 1.4 T2 - Ask a question now

“This is my first Toyota Corolla t2 and will most...”

Written on: 06/09/2007 by darren70 (3 reviews written)

This is my first Toyota Corolla t2 and will most definitely be buying another RECOMMEND them to any one… Read Full Review

“I bought the Toyota Corolla 1.4 T2 VVT-i second hand...”

Written on: 26/07/2006 by Ian Forknall (1 review written)

I bought the Toyota Corolla 1.4 T2 VVT-i second hand for £4,999 in "Carlo Blue" i.e. dark metallic blue, with 28,000 miles on the clock. It was very cheap because of a couple of scuffs on the rear bumper, one on each corner. You can only see them if you're looking directly at them so I didn't mind, and as the bumper is plastic, it won't affect the body work.

It was bought to replace a 1996 1.8 Ford Fiesta Classic, and what a difference! I thought the 1.8 litre engine in the fiesta was… Read Full Review

“After 12 years driving only Toyotas, was initially...”

Written on: 05/08/2004 by SteveHen (1 review written)

After 12 years driving only Toyotas, was initially delighted with my brand new Toyota Corolla 1.4 T2. It handled beautifully, it was very economical, but then I noticed how hot it could get with the windows closed. In winter this was no problem, but in summer on the motorway, or if it was raining, the inside was like a sauna.
Toyota (GB) was about as unhelpful as is possible, and my main reason for getting rid of the car was that the overall Toyota experience was dreadful (dealer and Toyota… Read Full Review

Ian Forknall's Response to SteveHen's Review

Written on: 26/07/2006

This review appears to be more about Toyota as a company rather than about the Toyota Corolla T2.
<br/>
<br/>The fact that Toyota didn&#039;t help you, or the the car is warm inside neither tells me what the car is like nor helps me decide whether I should buy one.
<br/>
<br/>You say you don&#039;t recommend the car, but apparently, the good points are that it is well finished, it handles well and is reliable. I can&#039;t think of three more important points to comment on in a car review, yet this review fails to mention any of them.

Ian Forknall's Response to SteveHen's Review

Written on: 28/07/2006

Hi Steve,
<br/>
<br/>Thanks for replying to my comment.
<br/>
<br/>Yes, it is the gadgets and lights and cubby holes that impress me, because most (hell, ALL) of the time, when I&#039;m driving the car, I&#039;m sitting inside it. And I believe that as well as a car looking good on the outside, handling well, and being economical, it has to have appeal on the inside both visually and practically.
<br/>
<br/>I completely agree that the interior fan temperature is a problem (I also commented on the cars ability to retain uncomfortably high temperatures), and that an improvement would be to have air-con as standard (which I&#039;ve believe they now have), but reading the review, I felt that the temperature problem and of course, Toyota themselves had maybe overshadowed your review of the vehicle as a whole.
<br/>
<br/>I feel there is a fine line between an enjoyable ownership of a car and enjoying the car itself, and agree that bad aftersales support can make you wish you&#039;d never bought the thing, no matter how good the car is. However, as this should have been a car review, I still think the car itself should have been the main focus of it.
<br/>
<br/>If it was a review of car dealerships, then I think the review would have been spot on.

Stevehen's Response to SteveHen's Review

Written on: 27/07/2006

Ian Forknall evidently didn’t read the bit where I said how beautifully the T2 handled and was very economical, etc.
<br/>
<br/>I could have waffled endlessly about all the detailed aspects of the car, but if it is as uncomfortable as it was, then there was no point in wasting readers’ time further.
<br/>
<br/>Yes, there was quite a lot about Toyota, because car ownership is more than the car itself, but also the after-sales-service and customer care. If these are poor, then it really doesn’t matter how good the car was when new. No car stays pristine for ever – not even a Toyota.
<br/>
<br/>In the case of Toyota, during the 12 years I owned various models, dealers closed, so that I had to travel further and further from home for spares and servicing, eventually having to go about 16 miles each way to my nearest dealer. As they were quite small I sometimes had to travel even further.
<br/>
<br/>Also the parts/spares became ridiculously expensive – comparable with Mercedes-Benz prices.
<br/>
<br/>However, to return to the Corolla 1.4 T2 – later models have air-con as standard, which only supports my criticism of the earlier model.
<br/>
<br/>Ian Forknall is entitled to write as much as he likes about the Corolla T2, but if he were unfortunate enough to get stuck in a traffic jam on the M25, with ambient temperatures of 35ºC (as we have been having), I suspect he would lose interest in the dials, the electronics, the cup holders, delayed fade-out courtesy light and anything else. Like me, all he’d want to be doing is to get rid of the wretched thing ASAP to some unsuspecting Toyota fan. And talking of fans, that&#039;s what you really need in the T2!
<br/>
<br/>P.S. I went on to replace the T2 with a second-hand Ford Focus LS (2003 model), which cost a lot less than the T2. It handles better than the Corolla and is real fun to drive. Dealers are everywhere and parts are plentiful and reasonably priced. It has virtually all the gadgets that seem to impress Mr Forknall, PLUS air-con, which in the weather we&#039;ve been having has been a joy. It also has ParkAssist and ClearScreen.
<br/>It&#039;s slightly less economical than the Corolla, but that is more than compensated for by the difference in price I paid. It lacks cubby holes for storing things, but I reckon it&#039;s one of the most enjoyable cars I have ever driven. Depreciation is probably worse than for the Corolla, but demand for the old Focus remains high, as people seem to prefer it to the new model.
<br/>Don&#039;t waste time on the Corolla, the Focus does it all, and overall rather better.

“The Toyota Corolla 1.4 T2 is a great little commuter,...”

Written on: 07/07/2004 by Mark Jones (1 review written)

The Toyota Corolla 1.4 T2 is a great little commuter, my wife had a Yaris she loved, but sadly sold after we had twins, as it was too small. This car is a bit more grown up and has a higher quality finish. Handles like a go-cart, and quick enough for most in 1.4 form. I've only owned it for a month. I have stuck a set of smart aftermarket alloys on, and think I will keep hold of for a couple of years, which for me is a long time. very impressed!… Read Full Review

Ian Forknall's Response to Mark Jones's Review

Written on: 26/07/2006

I accidentally clicked "Unhelpful", when I meant to click just "Agree". Sorry about that...