Clive Barker, Books of Blood Omnibus Reviews

Clive Barker, Books of Blood Omnibus - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Clive Barker, Books of Blood Omnibus

Clive Barker, Books of Blood Omnibus

“Back in 1984, Clive Barker made his name within the...”

Written on: 06/01/2007 by Dreadlocksmile (358 reviews written)

Back in 1984, Clive Barker made his name within the deeply competitive world of horror with the publication of the first three volumes of the macabre short stories 'The Books Of Blood'. Written in his spare time, he admits that he was not expecting them to sell really at all, let alone predict the public response that followed. The release exploded within the horror genre, hailing Barker as an exciting and imaginative newcomer. Stephen King, already known as a master in the genre, went as far… Read Full Review

252776_Anonymous101's Response to Dreadlocksmile's Review

Written on: 10/01/2007

I hope I'm not being rude here, as I'm not a massive consumer of the literary arts, but as all these "reviews" include large sections enclosed in inverted comma's, I take it that the principal essence of these reviews hasn't actually been written by the reviewer. I would like to add that I have enjoyed the reviews tremendously and have actually been inspired to pick up a copy of one the reviewers recently approved reviews. Very helpful and informative. Thanks again

252776_Anonymous101's Response to Dreadlocksmile's Review

Written on: 11/01/2007

I got 18.16787% as not your own work, which I think is quite a large proportion to be honest, I would like to re-iterate that I enjoyed these reviews very much and would be further intrigued by future percentange breakdowns of work you submit which is not your own.

Further more...
<br/>
<br/>I&#039;ve just had a look at the review that you put the comment on, and out of 1954 words, 1599 were all my own. A mere 18% were simply quoted from the book&#039;s blurb to give a quick summary of each of the short stories respective plots. I&#039;d certainly say that the "principal essence" of the review is my own.
<br/>
<br/>Sorry to be so defensive about it, but I do take some small pride in my reviews, believing them to be as helpful and informative as possible whilst delivering my own views on the item in question.
<br/>
<br/>Afterall, you can get a plot summary for a book from most online retailers. If you simply want a summary of the book why bother looking at a website dedicated to independent reviews!!! That&#039;s why I quickly quote the summary of the book and then get down to actually reviewing it.
<br/>
<br/>There we go, said my piece...

Written on: 10/01/2007

My reviews are supposed to be exactly that...reviews. I do throw in the book synopsis to start off with, but I feel there is no real gain in re-writing the blurb that is on the back of the book as it is more often than not quite adequate. This blurb I put in quotation marks to reflect that it is simply the book synopsis.
<br/>
<br/>From there on I review the book, giving my opinions of what I&#039;ve read and what I took from the book as a whole. I also try to put in any background info on the author or subject matter if I feel it will be a helpful insight.
<br/>
<br/>I have always felt that a good review is one that doesn&#039;t simply summarise what&#039;s in the book but actually informs you of what that particular reviewer thought about it.
<br/>
<br/>If you take a look at this particular review which you&#039;ve commented on for example, where the review is broken down into sections for each short story, I&#039;ve started off with the small sentence that was included on the back of the book to summarise the tale. Then the vast majority of the text is my own opinions on the story with little extra facts about it added in if I feel it might be helpful to mention. So, I would have said that the "principal essence" of the review has actually been written by me. The summary...no! The review....yes!!!
<br/>
<br/>But then that&#039;s my opinion of what I like in a review!

Clive Barker, Books of Blood Omnibus

“Just re read it after 20 years and it was like reading...”

Written on: 04/07/2008

Just re read it after 20 years and it was like reading a new book.
There is so much unique material in these books. Barkers early material is just so unlike anyone else and you must read it if you love true horror!… Read Full Review

Clive Barker, Books of Blood Omnibus

“Back in 1984, Clive Barker made his name within the...”

Written on: 06/01/2007 by Dreadlocksmile (358 reviews written)

Back in 1984, Clive Barker made his name within the deeply competitive world of horror with the publication of the first three volumes of the macabre short stories 'The Books Of Blood'. Written in his spare time, he admits that he was not expecting them to sell really at all, let alone predict the public response that followed. The release exploded within the horror literature genre, hailing Barker as an exciting and imaginative newcomer. Stephen King, already known as a master in the genre… Read Full Review

Written on: 08/01/2007

Excellent review as always Dreadlocksmile. I don&#039;t always have the time or patience to read an entire book so love reading your reviews. In fact I think you should become an author yourself! Let me know when you have a book published!
<br/>Helen.

Written on: 09/01/2007

I have read through your story now Chris, but could not comment there as I am not a member of that site. However, I can comment here.
<br/>You have an incredible talent for writing. The story was easy to read, kept me interested throughout, was not too long (I tend to lose interest easily if too long!), had a great storyline, great descriptive terms and kept me on the edge of my seat! Never will I poke my nose into strange corridors again. Very Well Done!

Written on: 09/01/2007

Thanks Chris, much respect. I will certainly look up your book when I get chance and get back to you. I think it would be nice if you could also put that info in the books forum, there are many there who I am sure would be very interested.

Written on: 08/01/2007

Thanks Helen. I am indeed writing a novel at the moment entitled "As The World Slowly Rots". It&#039;s a post-apocalyptic zombie novel that challenges governmental policies and humankind&#039;s selfish nature.
<br/>
<br/>I do also have a short story that is availiable to read online on various websites. One place you can find it is on my MySpace page under the blog section (top right-hand side of the page). My page address is www.myspace.com/dreadlocksmile
<br/>
<br/>The short story entitled “Under The City” is based within H.P. Lovecraft’s Cthulhu mythos and Clark Ashton Smith’s Hyperborean cycle. If you are not already familiar with the work, it is not a huge loss when reading the short, but it does draw reference to many aspects of their work. Due to the size of the story (don’t worry, it’s not that big), I have had to place it in two separate blog parts to allow it to fit on here. Please do remember to read both (NB the short is actually broken up into five small chapters).
<br/>
<br/>If you do get chance to give it a read, please do let me know what you think.
<br/>All the best,
<br/>Chris
<br/>(Dreadlocksmile)
<br/>P.S. "Under The City" can also be found elsewhere on the net by searching for "Dreadlocksmile" on Google.