Land Rover Freelander 1.8 S Reviews

Land Rover Freelander 1.8 S - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Land Rover Freelander 1.8 S

Land Rover Freelander 1.8 S
Land Rover Freelander 1.8 S

“DO NOT BUY THIS CAR ! ! ! YOU WILL REGRET IT AND BE...”

Written on: 07/11/2009

DO NOT BUY THIS CAR ! ! ! YOU WILL REGRET IT AND BE LOOKING FOR SOMEONE TO SELL IT OFF TO ! It is definately a looker but that's where the list of pro's ends. The list of con's is endless though. Mechanically this car is full of flaws. I have been in and out of the garage and become good friends with my mechanic - since I see him so frequently ! You can get one in a couple of grand but consider the hassle and cost that will follow. Well..... I need to get my car back from the garage and put it… Read Full Review

Guest's Comment

Written on: 15/06/2011

I have had my Freelander 12 months and it has already had a new headgasket and skrim etc. Yesterday, the engine cooked and my mechanic has informed me it requires a new engine. Will a new Freelander engine be anyless problematic that the last one? Any suggestions?

“The Land Rover Freelander looks quite good as 4x4s go...”

Written on: 05/08/2008

The Land Rover Freelander looks quite good as 4x4s go for the age (mines a 52 reg) to me its a pretty average uneventful car, I've had much better but also much worse. When I bought it I got a load of horror stories about it but I must say the car had started and ran with no problems. I think that with like all cars its the luck of the draw, some people never have a problem and others are never out of the garage… Read Full Review

“I've had my Land Rover Freelander a year. I bought it...”

Written on: 25/06/2007 by kazz2005 (1 review written)

I've had my Land Rover Freelander a year. I bought it from a friend who was buying a new discovery and I have had absolutely no problems with it so far. My friend bought it new and it has a full service history. From the outside I think it looks really good. It's black and despite being an old car now runs very well and is not noisy well no more so than any other diesel car anyway. There is lots of room in the back and even though its only a 2 door is very easy to get the kids and the car seats… Read Full Review

“Hi owned this Freelander Y reg 1.8s for 10 months only...”

Written on: 04/05/2006 by john4560 (1 review written)

Hi owned this Freelander Y reg 1.8s for 10 months only 42k on clock stay away unless you have a spare £2000. For following repair bills: First the window regulators broke on drivers side and passenger side. Then the rear diff bush mounting caused knocking at back end. Then the back door seal leaks causing water to gather in hidden tool area. Then master clutch and slave cylinder gone. And excpect excessive tyre wear. All in all poorly designed no help from dealerships or the garage you buy it… Read Full Review

“I purchased the Freelander back in 1998 soon after it...”

Written on: 16/09/2005 by acwman (4 reviews written)

I purchased the Freelander back in 1998 soon after it came out. Before even contemplating on purchasing any of the Freelanders, I would seriously peruse this review site before even taking a look at one. It seems to be quite hard to find any positives about this car! I still own the car, so my review on this is more like a long term test review!

Problems first started when the car was about a month old. My Freelander had the early problem of the 'Rear Window winding down by itself' syndrome… Read Full Review

“I was really pleased to get my Landrover Freelander. ...”

Written on: 10/08/2005 by RETTDERK (1 review written)

I was really pleased to get my Landrover Freelander. Now after 4 months, I wish I'd never set eyes on the thing!!! The clucth broke, and whilst being repaired, it was discovered that the brakes were dangerous, and had to be sorted! Too many other problems to mention. It also has a small boot It is not very economical. Today it goes! It might look good, but thats all… Read Full Review

“The Land Rover Freelander 1.8 S 4x4 is the worst car I...”

Written on: 27/07/2004 by grbelja (1 review written)

The Land Rover Freelander 1.8 S 4x4 is the worst car I have ever bought. Head Gasket replacement three times before 100,000kms. Nothing but continous problems and high running costs. Excessive tyre wear and road noise. If you have one of these GET RID OF IT immediately. If you want to buy one DONT! They are nothing but problems. I have two friends with the same vehicle and the problems are with every vehicle and not just mine… Read Full Review

“Land Rover Freelander 1.8 S, A new wheel bearing, new...”

Written on: 17/02/2004 by No more Freelander (1 review written)

Land Rover Freelander 1.8 S, A new wheel bearing, new water pump, new engine, new distributor cap, new IRD...need I continue? Oh, and Land Rover won't entertain any thoughts of compensation because I have used a reputable 4X4 garage for servicing instead of an overpriced dealership… Read Full Review

Smorgo's Response to No more Freelander's Review

Written on: 08/05/2004

Indeed, our Freelander has had a few problems, including (of course) the cylinder head gasket failing twice. The first time, the vehicle was under warranty and Land Rover fixed it. The second time (at a little over four years old) Land Rover offered to pay half. The dealer quoted £450 to replace the head gasket and thermostat. On the day we were due to collect, we received a phone call to say that they were waiting for a new cylinder head; the new cost (including a 50% contribution from Land Rover): £1465. Needless to say, I had it moved to my local independant Land Rover specialist who did the job for £300-odd. The Land Rover dealer wanted £439 for 6.3 hours work to remove the existing head before we could have it back; and amount of time my independant thinks is 'exaggerated'. Here's the rub: until this episode, we were all set to swallow our pride and buy a new Freelander in July. Now, they're not getting a penny.

Thomasteong's Response to No more Freelander's Review

Written on: 06/12/2012

i have bought the freelander 1.8 for 9 months,so far so good after i have removed the rear differential , the ECU which is a nuisance to have it,a bonus to remove it.
The ecu make the car very hard to turn during parking, cause the rear diff to screw up because the frt is heavier or tougher than the rear one.
So far, after running for 10k km,no problem, later on , not sure.
I read a lot regarding head gasket problem,mine is in malaysia, i am not sure that i will be having the similar problem like those reviews in uk. because malaysia is a hot country with temp of 35c to 38c throughout the year,i hope the land rover has set the thermostat more friendly to this climate or like stronger fan and etc.
down side is the leaking to tool box area, clock not functioning,squeak sound over humps.
anybody can give me advice.