Land Rover Discovery TD5 GS Reviews

• Practicality

• Reliability

Land Rover Discovery TD5 GS - Ask a question now

“Discovery 2 GS 2003 ”

Written on: 12/07/2009 by goofa6641 (1 review written)

Discovery 2 GS 2003
Hear is my 10 pence worth,

Wiring harness under rocker cover replaced "just failed to start one day"

Spigot bush on crankshaft/gearbox

Condensation in headlights

Fuel line replace from wearing off body "diesel sprayed all over window which cracked all the plastic trim around rear door need replacing"

Air spring leaking cause back end to drop to wheel arches when it feels like it.

Fuel pump in tank. "garage burnt it out when change fuel filter"

new clutch.

centrol… Read Full Review

☆☆☆☆☆

“Don't touch a Land Rover Discovery TD5 GS- Land Rover...”

Written on: 09/10/2003 by phillipstovold (2 reviews written)

Don't touch a Land Rover Discovery TD5 GS- Land Rover consider it acceptable for these engines to last only 60 000 miles - they know there is a problem many early Td5's are now failing just as they pass beyond the four year mark.

Mine was serviced more regularly than required by Land Rover and did not lead a particularly arduous life… Read Full Review

Xlrowner's Response to phillipstovold's Review

Written on: 07/01/2004

I have had almost the exact same problem with a TD5. land Rover dont want to know neither do the dealer. court action in progress. Will report on results

Spitfire's Response to phillipstovold's Review

Written on: 24/01/2006

Taken it to Marshal's! Ouch that's got to hurt. Should go to Roger's

Stuart Gray's Response to phillipstovold's Review

Written on: 23/01/2006

I totally agree with this gentleman. My TD5 GS has done 30,000 miles and is in Marshall's of Bedford today (Jan 2006) for a new rear main oil seal and this is just another saga in the whole sorry tail of this vehicle, which I think is the worse vehicle I have ever had the misfortune to own. My 1957 Mark 1 LR would see it off from a standing start the performance is so bad. I am told the only way to get it to go is to pay £500 to have it 'chipped'. The other way to get it to go is to 'scrap it'. Thankfully, I have seen sense and I am trading it in for another 4x4, but should I risk a Disco 3? or go for a Land Cruiser?
<br>
<br>It's Daddy or Chips I guess.

160151_Ellie69's Response to phillipstovold's Review

Written on: 26/06/2004

I own a Disco TD5 GS 7 seater. The bolt in the oil pump as reported on watch dog came loose and a full engine replacement was required. Landrover are aware of the problem but don't want to know

151414_Bishop Of Bramley's Response to phillipstovold's Review

Written on: 13/04/2004

Just the same, engine imploded at 50,000 miles 4 years old. Land Rover don't want to know. Mine was a Pick-up with td5 engine.

Spitfire's Response to phillipstovold's Review

Written on: 24/03/2004

A friend is rebuilding the top end on his disco at 120000 miles, inlet port cracked and hydrauliced engine. local firm have tested 6 heads all failed, new head around £2500? plus conrod and lots of small parts all add up to big bill, also these are not the only engines designed by BMW to have problems.

“great car, drives like a dream u don't need the ACE...”

Written on: 24/05/2003 by matt. (1 review written)

great car, drives like a dream u don't need the ACE system the SLS is just fine, it is very practicle and is overall an excellent motor.

those new headlights are great for night driving, it has TCS EBD ABS SLS, the seven seats are very good and the whole car is very spacious

Excellent buy for anyone doing; the school run, journeys back and forth on a regullar basis, on road, off road

it can do pretty much any thing you want it to do… Read Full Review

Stupot.'s Response to 101123_matt.'s Review

Written on: 30/07/2003

It must have come from a different stable to my Land Rover TD5 GS. I have the ACE as mine is a 5 seater and I like this addition very much over the old TDI but as for Build quality I have had a new gearbox, a new fuel pump, a new head gasket and have had to resort to carrying a photo of my disco with me as it spends so long in the repair shop I forget what it looks like. I have just ordered a new Toyota Land Cruiser LC5 because Im fed up with being let down.

Kev 243's Response to 101123_matt.'s Review

Written on: 22/11/2004

I bought my td5 gs 5 seater two years ago. It was used and gave no problems until a recall last july for a banjo bolt to be washered and a pipe to be checked on the ACE. I had this done by my local dealer. Two weeks later whilst on holiday in Cornwall the ACE packed up. Main dealer stated that it was not their fault and quoted £976 to put it right. In October the engine oil decided that it did not like where it was and so joined the coolant. That was four weeks ago and I haven't got it back yet. Seriously considering trading it for something else, that will pull my caravan.

Jim T's Response to 101123_matt.'s Review

Written on: 04/09/2003

I too own a Land Rover Discovery. A TD5 ES7 2001 model. For the first few weeks it was a trus love affair. Then things began to go wrong!
<br>
<br>1. Gearbox out at 800 miles to replace all oil seals.
<br>2. Electric windows in the rear stopped working.
<br>3. Drivers seat feel to pieces (before you ask I'm 12 stones!) and had to be relpaced.
<br>4. Corrosion on fuel filler and rear door hinges at 1500 miles.
<br>5. Doors needed re aligning.
<br>6. Squeak from clutch slave cylinder.
<br>
<br>The final straw was when 1st gear went 'bang!' and stopped working at 16000. Yes sixteen thousand miles! This is a vehicle that is supposedly built like a brick outhouse!.
<br>
<br>Wrote to the MD of Land Rover UK, Bob Dover. Didn't even reply to my letter.
<br>
<br>This is my third Disco, and to be honest, all have had MAJOR problems. Especially with the gearbox.
<br>
<br>My Land Cruiser LC5 arrives on the 24th Sept 03. I will take a photograph of it on my drive and send it to Bob Dover. I will inform him that I will NEVER PURCHASE ANOTHER LAND ROVER!!!!