Ford Focus 1.8 TDdi 90 LX 5dr Reviews

• Performance

• Practicality

• Reliability

Ford Focus 1.8 TDdi 90 LX 5dr - Ask a question now

“Great car, ultra reliable, and easier to work on than...”

Written on: 03/03/2010

Great car, ultra reliable, and easier to work on than it might seem. No its not an ST or even anywhere near in performance, but, it costs bout half the amount to run, in all ways, i put st fogs on mine and got the grille setups of an st too. Looks identical, just a bit noisier, but you can look past that if you got kids and would rather spend your money when you get there, not getting there. Will buy a diesel again, only it prob be a tdci as tddi are bit old now. Anyway who needs speed when… Read Full Review

“I am pleased with the ford focus 1.8 but it does not...”

Written on: 22/07/2009

I am pleased with the ford focus 1.8 but it does not have air conditioning which is a pain in hot weather (when we do get some) watch out for rear radius arm bushes going. If you need to replace them it is a very expensive job in labour… Read Full Review

“I bought my 2000 x focus tddi Zetec with 88k on the...”

Written on: 12/11/2008

I bought my 2000 x focus tddi Zetec with 88k on the clock. On the whole it has been ok, apart from clattery smoky engine and NO power below 1500rpm, it ' s not a bad car. What it does well is economy but I had the dreaded flashing glow plug light a bit ago and changed some sensors… Read Full Review

“I have owned my Ford Focus estate for 4 years it has...”

Written on: 07/04/2008

I have owned my Ford Focus estate for 4 years it has always passed MOT with very little work, just minors like windscreen wipers, light bulbs! Always reliable and very fast acceleration. I will definitely buy another focus… Read Full Review

“Had Focus hatchback before, needed an estate and...”

Written on: 27/05/2007 by mattturley (2 reviews written)

Had Focus hatchback before, needed an estate and diesel (2 dogs and kids). The car is a great drive and still feels tight on everything. Fuel consumption is fantastic at around 100 miles to £10 (I was getting about 20 miles to that in petrol). Handles well and seems a lot smoother than my last Focus… Read Full Review

“I have generally enjoyed having the Ford Focus 1.8...”

Written on: 29/11/2005 by alsy (1 review written)

I have generally enjoyed having the Ford Focus 1.8 TDdi 90 LX 5dr as it is comfortable spacious performs reasonably (it gets a bit breathless at about 4500 rpm) & handles well. The economy is excellent at around 50mpg & group 5 insurance mean day to day running costs aren't going to bankrupt you. Tyres last around 15000 miles on the front & up to 50000 on the back whilst brake pads & discs are poor with the discs prone to warping. Oil consumption is negligable & servicing is every 10000 miles… Read Full Review

00Vectra's Response to 218979_alsy's Review

Written on: 10/04/2006

Did you really mean 800,000 miles? Wow! I had one of these cars from new and sold it at 27,000 miles on the original brake pads. Had one serious problem only, the clutch pedal broke, [the eye which links to the master cylinder, in turn breaking the master cylinder] and Ford said hard luck mate, 2yr warranty is expired. [I had got it from an import company so didn't get the 3rd yr warranty]. These Focus estates have a very spacious boot for size of car.

“The Ford Focus 1.8 TDdi 90 LX 5dr does everything you...”

Written on: 21/04/2004 by Limpet (1 review written)

The Ford Focus 1.8 TDdi 90 LX 5dr does everything you would expect a Ford estate to do in terms of reliability, running costs (42-49 mpg) and practicality. Also offers a good deal of fun too, retaining all the talent of the Focus hatch chassis-wise.

A very hard car to fault to be honest, although despite decent performance, the 90PS TDdi engine does the car no favours. Not only is it rough, clattery and coarse like the diesels of yesteryear (well, it IS a diesel of yesteryear) but it smokes… Read Full Review

Written on: 17/09/2004

Built in Germany, so unsuprisingly it is well built. Very reliable. I agree with above review. In addition, it handles my pretty big trailer [10ftx5ftx4ft high] very well indeed. Immense torque, even with the trailer, it will go up most hills in 4th gear. [Mine is a manual].
<br>I got mine new from an import company who imported from Spain.
<br>Twin front air bags, seat located side air bags and anti lock brakes. The brakes pull up perfectly straight on icy road, brilliant, even though there is an anti lock brake clatter sound, and another funny noise.
<br>
<br>So far about 25000 miles. Smokey exhaust and just starting to get new kind of slight engine rattle when engine is cold, so I need to find out what that is. I am aware that the heavy use of the trailer has probably almost doubled the wear on the engine, through the push-pull effect a trailer effects, and therefore I have changed the engine oil at 8000 mile intervals instead of the suggested 12000. At the time of writing, oil has been in 5000 miles, and am using Halfords 5/30 semi synthetic, which they stock especially for Fords. If anyone can shed light on the faint rattle, I would love to receive some suggestions. I am now out of the 2 year pan european guarantee [third years are only offered by uk dealers, not importers].

Andyrad's Response to 152455_Limpet's Review

Written on: 05/01/2011

sorry this is a late post but i have just had the same clutch problem on my 2001 1.8TDdi focus and did the exact same repair welded the pin back on and fitted new master cylinder

Written on: 28/09/2004

I spoke to soon about "good" build quality! Often happens that the moment after I open my mouth I get proved wrong.
<br>
<br>How about this for bad manufacture detail:
<br>I was in the local Ford Dealer's yesterday, with the clutch pedal in my hand. From out of the blue, a gentleman said:
<br>
<br>"Bet that's off a Focus, same thing happened to my wife's when it was under warranty, the pin breaks off and that snaps the plastic arm on the master cylinder!"
<br>
<br>This happened on my 2002 Focus, [which I imported brand new from Spain RHD, to full British specification, through a British agent, TDDI estate LX] after only 21500 miles. The car is 28 months old and Ford have refused to accept any responsibility, or contribute toward repair, and claim that they are not familiar with this problem, which I find hard to believe, after 'coincidentally' meeting a chap at the dealer's with a similar story. It so annoys me when a manufacturer chooses to generate money out of their own elementary fault, instead of shoulder responsibility.
<br>
<br>Rather than pay the dealership's hourly rate of £75+vat for repair, I bought a Haynes Manual, and did the work myself [a bit tricky] having bought a new master cylinder, and got the pin welded to the pedal properly by an engineering firm for just £2. Ford had wanted to sell me a new pedal presumably with inadequately welded pin for about £50!
<br>
<br>Please do say if this also happened to you. If enough of us post, and expose what could possibly be their racket, maybe Ford will reimburse us the cost of our master cylinders or better, the full repair cost.
<br>Regards, Alan.

Written on: 20/09/2004

Found out what causes excessive smoke. Focus models with 1.8L endura-di or tdci engines 01jan2001-07march2002 build code 1J to 2S and have excessive black smoke from the exhaust or shows loss of power probable cause is egr valve sticks in the open position. They have designed a modified intake manifold/egr valve with protective sleeve which was installed from 07march2002, build code 2S. It is not a quick job unfortunately so unlikely to be cheap.

“VERY POPULAR CAR AND EASY TO SEE WHY, EVERY OTHER CAR...”

Written on: 25/02/2003 by COCKNEY2001. (1 review written)

VERY POPULAR CAR AND EASY TO SEE WHY, EVERY OTHER CAR SEEMS TO BE A FOCUS, NOW IN IT'S 4TH YEAR BUT STILL LOOKING FRESH AFTER A RECENT FACELIFT ALBEIT MINOR. WITH IT'S LIGHT CONTROLS IT'S NO WONDER THAT DRIVING SCHOOLS HAVE TAKEN TO THE FOCUS DESPITE IT BEING LARGER THAN THE CORSA/FIESTA AND WITH GOOD RESALE VALUE PUTTING IT ON LEVEL FOOTING WITH THE CURRENT GOLF FORD HAVE A WINNER. THE ONLY DOWNSIDE TO THIS CAR IN MY OPINION IS DESPITE HAVING A GOOD QUIET ENGINE AND GEARBOX IT IS LET DOWN BY A… Read Full Review