Ford Focus 1.8 TDCi 115 Ghia 5dr Reviews

• Reliability

Ford Focus 1.8 TDCi 115 Ghia 5dr - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Ford Focus 1.8 TDCi 115 Ghia 5dr

Ford Focus 1.8 TDCi 115 Ghia 5dr

“Good solid engine with great performance”

Written on: 02/02/2014 by stevesje71 (1 review written)

went bang, engine threw a rod at 5000rpm. max engine speed was 4300..... air conditioning pump blew up, windscreen wiper flew off at 120mph. Gearbox ok if you like Mozart's third symphony played through the gearbox as you try to select 1st… Read Full Review

“Words of Praise”

Written on: 09/01/2013 by justmeandyou (1 review written)

I bought my ford focus 1.8 Ghia estate in 2003 new from the car people Wakefield, it has NEVER had any problems and still has the original clutch, brakes and battery ,serviced annually by my local garage it becomes 10 years old next month, body still looks great, no problems with corrosion and has never been garaged. Looking at some of the negative reviews it is a nice testament to Ford build quality and reliability, with 116K on the clock I expect this car to go around again, well done ford!!!… Read Full Review

“well what can i say, bought a 2002 ford focus tdci 1.8...”

Written on: 21/11/2010

well what can i say, bought a 2002 ford focus tdci 1.8 115 ps about two weeks ago, it had approx 105k on the clock. lovely car until the revs started going erratically, replaced the diesel filter and cam shaft sensor, which seemed to sort the problem, well until the next day when the glow light started flashing and the car just died. now im told i have low fuel pressure and could need a new pump or injectors or dual mass flywheel or a blockage in the fuel pipes. if anyone has had this problem… Read Full Review

“Having bought a focus 1.8 tdci 110 from a local dealer...”

Written on: 14/07/2010

Having bought a focus 1.8 tdci 110 from a local dealer in south wales, i was impressed with the car in total, the drive,comfort, the look of the car etc. This was my first diesel and will be my last ford diesel ever. the car was at 29.500 miles when i bought it. At 49.999 miles on the clock, it started having loud banging noise when starting, also a very loud rattling from the clucth, followed by vibration fron the clucth pedal, clucthpedal not much movement when changing gear. In anyway, it… Read Full Review

Guest's Comment

Written on: 05/07/2012

thank you but too late i got bitten as well on a 2006 model ouch £1200 it cost me now will look at other makes ,cheers

Stevesje71's Comment

Written on: 02/02/2014

all makes are the same as they all use DMF flywheels and they get worked hard in diesel engines. This technology is one of the main reasons diesels are so much more refined and smooth compared to 20 ears ago

“Having owner Fords for 30 years - never again. This...”

Written on: 07/06/2010

Having owner Fords for 30 years - never again. This one has been the most unreliable and expensive to keep on the road car I have ever had. Now with nearly 70,000 miles on it has had new air con pump, new starter motor, new flywheel (More than 2000 euros incl tow off German motorway) new exhaust manifold plus normal acceptable expenses such as tyres etc. Complained to Ford, their approach was that I bought it so it was my problem. Save yourselves a lot of hassle and a lot of expense, buy a… Read Full Review

“I have owned my 2003 Ford Focus 1.8TDCI 115 Estate...”

Written on: 12/01/2010

I have owned my 2003 Ford Focus 1.8TDCI 115 Estate since new and to date have done almost 127,000m, generally its been very reliable and gets some stick,I originally purchased it to use for my business as well as private use.
Handling is renowned (mine's the stiffer Zetec), through a roundabout or series of twisty bends the car makes you feel very confident about its abilities.

I have had a cam sensor failure at 56k and an appetite for rear disc and pads (3 sets rear to 1 set front). I have… Read Full Review

“I bought a 2003 Ford Focus TDCi sport in the hope of...”

Written on: 07/05/2009 by cartersaurus (1 review written)

I bought a 2003 Ford Focus TDCi sport in the hope of keeping a reliable and cheap to run motor. After 8000 miles it required a brand new flywheel and clutch ( £1200) ouch. I have been lucky in that the fuel pump seems to be OK, but I gather that some of the 2003 models suffer with wear and breakdown of the fuel pump, ultimately leading to catastophic engine failure and the need for a whole new fuel system (injectors, pump, etc).
Other than that, it has been reliable, giving excellent fuel… Read Full Review

Guest's Response to cartersaurus's Review

Written on: 12/02/2012

hello i own a ford focus 1.8tdci sport 56plate i had the turbo replaced second hand one about 18 months ago had an ecu remap and now the car produces 148bhp and 260lbs ft of torque cost £300, and the car has never flinched,and it is a pleasure to drive with absolutely bags ov power,fuel consumption is about the same as when standard fitted with performance panel airfilter gets about 42mpg,one little tip when driving and you come to stop,never switch ignition off,give it about 30 seconds,because if switched off immediately oil feed to turbo stops,allowing turbo to still spool,and will wear bearing out and reduce life of turbo.

“THE CAR- We have a 2004 TDCi focus estate...”

Written on: 28/01/2009 by tractor lad (28 reviews written)

THE CAR- We have a 2004 TDCi focus estate (124,000miles), It is a ex-lease car and as a result hasn't received the kindest of treatments! However, It has faired very well. I have the full service history, this which shows it has had a blown turbo at 70k (no fault of the car) a new clutch, flywheel and slave cyl at 120k along with other things ie. Starter, several sets of brake pads 'all work was carried out by a ford garage and all past problems where reflected in the price.

USED FOR -… Read Full Review

“The steering wheel is too far away from the driver if...”

Written on: 18/09/2008 by madmacuk (5 reviews written)

The steering wheel is too far away from the driver if you have long legs. With only 43,000 miles on the clock (04 reg) I require a new flywheel (common fault with the diesel according to some forums I have read), possibly clutch, slave cylinder and starter motor. Approx cost £700 to £1200! Last time I buy a Ford.
With diesel so costly, it is not worth getting another so any petrol car is now better.
I had a Vauxhall Astra 1700TD for 12 years with no problems. Seats were comfortable… Read Full Review

“I own a Ford Focus 1.8 tdci ghia estate 115 and the...”

Written on: 26/05/2008 by Geoff 2 (1 review written)

I own a Ford Focus 1.8 tdci ghia estate 115 and the design always looks up to date and looks better than the new one. The interior is superb and dosen't look cheesy like more recent cars. The engine is very smooth, quiet and has the punch of a kick-Boxer, but still giving excellent mpg, even with the air-con on.
You don't get to buy many new cars in your life, and like a house you expect it to be sound. We the consumer, will in future, have to push even harder for a much better deal where… Read Full Review

“I used to work for Ford on the design of the Ford Focus ”

Written on: 28/07/2006 by Jagbuff (1 review written)

I used to work for Ford on the design of the Ford Focus
I now work as a consumer, driving this car in very demanding conditions day in day out at high speed.

There are a few weak points, such as the stalling issue when pulling away. This is to protect the dual mass flywheel from being damaged by going to too low rpm. The engine backs off the fuel (and therefore the amount of torque available to pull away) when the engine speed drops below idle speed, and cuts the fuel below a certain rpm… Read Full Review

“Completed 25500 miles in 20 months without a hitch in...”

Written on: 16/06/2004 by Clive Baldock (1 review written)

Completed 25500 miles in 20 months without a hitch in my Ford Focus 1.8 TDCi 115 Ghia. Have been very pleased and impressed with the overall package… Read Full Review

“I have a T reg 1999 Focus TDi Ghia, ride and handling...”

Written on: 18/05/2004 by Moof101 (1 review written)

I have a T reg 1999 Focus TDi Ghia, ride and handling very good however.....The turbo charger clip broke, new clip £2.00 labour £75!!. Next Air-conditioning went, I had it readjusted at Ford main dealer (£90). It still does not work, so I had new internal switch (£15) but they did not charge me labour this time. The wheel bearing is on it's way out, cigarette lighter now not working. I will be choosing a Lexus next time, Ford dealerships are hopeless… Read Full Review

“I am now on my second Ford Focus (the new 2002 Model...”

Written on: 17/10/2002 by JR2002. (1 review written)

I am now on my second Ford Focus (the new 2002 Model 1.8 TDCi). I had my first focus for 3 years (45,000 Miles) and had no problems, the only time it went to the garage was for normal servicing, when I changed the car the original tyres and brake pads were still on (although now needed changing). My new focus in even better. Looking at the reviews it appears that the UK spec Focus was fine, the bad reports appear to have come from the American spec cars… Read Full Review

50417_Phil.'s Response to 44524_JR2002.'s Review

Written on: 12/11/2002

Dear all,
I've recently purchased a Focus TDCI. It's 6 months old and cost me £12,000 with 10 K on the clock. I may have payed a little over the odds for it but I have to say I'm entirely satisfied with the car. I think the key points to rememeber when buying this car are brilliant fuel economy, mid range speed of a Focus ST170 and great handling.
I currently pay £24/month which is £10 less than my Renault Laguna Diesel which was 8 years old. One question I would like to know is how the car compares generally to the VW GTDi Golfs and the Audi's (1.9 tdi (Red I).
Kind Regards
Phil

Trubs.'s Response to 44524_JR2002.'s Review

Written on: 29/11/2002

I bought a new TDCi from Motorpoint this month, Zetec, fully loaded (heated front screen, air-con, elec/heated mirrors) bargain at £12300. First FORD I've owned and I'm more than impressed, I had a 306 Gti-6 before this and I find the torque pull of the Focus more appealing than the high revs of the Pug, certainly doesn't feel any slower on the move and motorways are a joy (as much as they can be). 1300 miles on the clock now and I've only just filled up for the third time, 48+mpg which I expect to get better as the car wears in. Golf GT-PDi is smaller inside, boot is definately smaller, its not noticeably quicker, you have to put up with garish blue lighting on the dash instruments and you pay £3000 more (new or used) for the privilege and no heated front screen - which with the onslaught of a British winter makes mornings much easier.

“This review is based on UK-spec 1.8 TDi CL, but this...”

Written on: 19/09/2001 by Rob. (1 review written)

This review is based on UK-spec 1.8 TDi CL, but this is the same Focus as in the US. I have driven several examples of the 1.8 turbodiesel engine. The engine may be the weakest point. It's a bit noisy and rattly compared to petrols, but the torque means you leave petrol cars for dead. Hit the gas at 2000rpm and it will leave most petrol cars standing. Can expect 45 mpg, even with aircon, more than 50 with it switched off. Ride and refinement are superb. It's hugely comfortable to drive… Read Full Review

“The Ford Focus is a real nice car with some great...”

Written on: 28/06/2001 by Ken. (1 review written)

The Ford Focus is a real nice car with some great features and is fun to drive. It has a lot of get up and go for a small four banger.It can hold four to five people pretty comfortably. Has a great ride for a small car. Rolls over some bumps that some bigger, much more expensive cars, would toss you about in. Has a radio with CD player that you can adjust to play louder as the car goes faster to make up for road noise. Both rear seat backs drop down to put longer objects in. Has a hook on the… Read Full Review