Bill Bryson, Notes from a Small Island Reviews

Bill Bryson, Notes from a Small Island - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Bill Bryson, Notes from a Small Island

“Brilliantly insightful”

Written on: 30/11/2011 by PeteMighty (2 reviews written)

This is the first Bill Bryson book I have read and I absolutely love it. Bryson mocks the UK throughout, but it is that kind and gentle mocking that is reserved for someone or something that in reality you hold in high esteem. His regard for our country (where he apparently lived for about 20 years) is obvious and he has a fantastic eye of the bizarre sides to our culture. Who hasn't met a 'Mrs Smegma' type character at a bed and breakfast at one time or another?… Read Full Review

Bill Bryson, Notes from a Small Island

“I love this book, Bill Bryson, Notes from a Small...”

Written on: 10/01/2009 by lozza999 (1 review written)

I love this book, Bill Bryson, Notes from a Small Island I have been doing it in school, and our class was so inspired, we decided to make our own version, called notes from a small school, it was a very exciting topic to do !!! The only bad bit was when I had to close the book, at the end !!! Brilliant, i love it, i av a copy at home, and i have now read it 3 times, and i only got it at christmas !!!… Read Full Review

Bill Bryson, Notes from a Small Island

“Bill Bryson's Notes from a Small Island seems to be...”

Written on: 07/01/2008

Bill Bryson's Notes from a Small Island seems to be the same. Every chapter goes on about how every village he's ever been to has changed and become the same.I will never read it again… Read Full Review

430961_Prinn's Comment

Written on: 09/01/2009

I found the book so good I am reading it again. The last reviewers comments about repetitive, that I am afraid is what Britain has become and I think Bill captured the moment perfectly. We need a catch up now to see how we fare in the 21st century well done Bill.

Bill Bryson, Notes from a Small Island

“Bryson has a dry but acute sense of humour. He...”

Written on: 16/09/2005 by simonhodgson (5 reviews written)

Bryson has a dry but acute sense of humour. He observes and analyses normal people and everyday situations but then sneaks up on the reader and has you laughing out loud at the absurdity of the situation.
The book is basically a tour of certain towns, cities and places in Britain with the routine of poking fun at the people, places, traditions and general culture of our 'wonderful land'.
The book can be slightly tedious in places and you can sometimes think - stop moaning Bryson, but let's… Read Full Review