BMW 5 Series 530d SE Reviews

BMW 5 Series 530d SE - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for BMW 5 Series 530d SE

BMW 5 Series 530d SE
BMW 5 Series 530d SE

“I buy today and is the best auto so faar”

Written on: 22/12/2013 by bmwforever2014 (1 review written)

Hi, all i can say is that this auto is surprice me, i just brought today for 6000 euro, looks like new ( well i had a good luck)!!! We knows that any cars engine can be broke at any time, but live is like this, today we live tomorrow we death. This bmw is my dream and i hope i never waik up!!! Merry C to all… Read Full Review

“Where do I start? The biggest mistake of my life maybe...”

Written on: 03/11/2010

Where do I start? The biggest mistake of my life maybe good! This car looks and drives superb no doubt about that but everything that can be a 'common fault' on this particular model has happened to me costing me absolutley thouands of pound.
Firstly the run flat tyres having never had them before they seem like a good idea until you have a puncture, yes you can drive safely for a number of miles but they cannot be repaired and also wear very quickly and cost almost £250 each! So that was the… Read Full Review

“Good bits: THE CAR IS JUST GREAT TO DRIVE FOR COMFORT...”

Written on: 07/03/2010

Good bits: THE CAR IS JUST GREAT TO DRIVE FOR COMFORT RELIABILITY AND ECONOMY HAD A MERC C270 CDI BEFORE HAND WHICH WAS OK WHEN IT STARTED BUT GLAD I MADE THE CHANGE :-)

BAD BITS: NOT SURE ABOUT THE RUNFLAT TYRES AND JEALOUS DRIVERS NOT LETTING YOU OUT AT JUNCTIONS WHICH ISN'T TO BAD IT JUST GIVES YOU A BIT LONGER TO ENJOY THE DRIVE!
IPOD CONECTION JUST USE THE I TRIP WHICH WORKS GREAT IN MINE
BUY ONE AND ENJOY!!!… Read Full Review

“My new BMW 530d SE E60 is fantastic in everyway....”

Written on: 23/10/2003 by mark houghton (1 review written)

My new BMW 530d SE E60 is fantastic in everyway. Unbelievable performance with superb engine growl, brilliant handling with active steering, extremely comfortable seats and ride, looks awsome in titanium grey with 18 inch alloys and does quite a few to the gallon. No bad points to report and highly recommended… Read Full Review

Tambo2's Response to mark houghton's Review

Written on: 03/12/2003

Good to see another positive review of BMW's new 530d. The best article I have come across so far is the news that the Metropolitan Police have just ordered 10 new 530d's for their Armed Response Unit! If it's good enough for the Met...... Mine arrives next week - can't wait!!

Degbert's Response to mark houghton's Review

Written on: 21/12/2006

Agree with this review - very quick, very good to drive, great handling, supremely comfortable. Quicker I think than my old 325, making diesel a very real option these days. Diesels have better residuals too. I'd counsel caution on fuel economy though, it's not all that great if you are keen to get from a to b quickly, and I can't agree with 10/10 with value for money, because the sort of prices you are paying for this can get you a lot of other choice. Reassuringly expensive would be fair, fantastic value for money I think might be stretching it.

Written on: 11/05/2006

I am very surprised that they spotted the "chipped" ECU! I have a good friend who is a Service Manager at BMW and another who is a Top Technician for BMW. Their service diagnostics cannot see the change in the ECU code on the new Bosch ECU and the old one it wasn't much different. I can only assume they were VERY suspicious and carried out a much deeper investigation.
I spoke to my mates about this and they said the dealer must have been very petty. Their comments were simple - "Who cares, BMW pay us under the warranty so why turn away the work?" They added that upsetting the client and getting them to pay is simply not worth the hassle.
I am not saying that BMW cannot find these upgrades as clearly Chris suffered a loss. I am just saying that most dealers really aren't interested. As an example, I had a visit from my mate and he was driving a 535d demonstrator - which the dealer had chipped!

Chrismalloy's Response to mark houghton's Review

Written on: 10/05/2006

If I could add a comment to tuning the 3.0d engine. I have a E61 3.0d now untuned but my previous car was the E46 3.0d 184bhp which I had for 4 years and after 1 year chipped it. I was over the moon. Power was superb. Seen 150 on the speedo and it was still going, fuel was supposed to be better but who cares. Whist I was away working a little light came on the dash and the wife booked it into BMW. Yes - fuel pump kaput. And even though it was hidden their diagnostic check showed that it was chipped. Cancel warranty. But I'm looking at chipping this model because apart from the power increase the smoothness and better lowdown power delivery is worth it.

Written on: 26/12/2005

I would recommend Hartge and having driven a 530d with that system fitted, you can notice the difference.
<br>
<br>Have a look at http://www.birds.uk.com/ as they are in the London area.

Simonl2's Response to mark houghton's Review

Written on: 23/12/2005

can anyone recommend the Hartge tuning for 530d and tell me if there are any london dealers?

Written on: 24/11/2005

Sorry to burst the bubble but finally got rid of the new 530D SE in May 2005. Couldn't wait to get rid of it following numerous problems with the I Drive, water ingress from the doors and the final straw a failed engine mounting whilst travelling at 85mph. Never even got to tuning the engine as problems started within 10 days of taking delivery. Apart from a great engine, great gearbox, great brakes etc. it was a bag of spanners. Worst car I have ever owned. I formally rejected the car after 4/5 months and BMW bought it back and gave me a new 05 reg 320D SE but sold this after 20 minutes as I never wished to own a BMW again. At least I didn't lose any cash and got my investment back. Bought an Audi after I got rid of the 320D SE and never looked back.

Dieseldog's Response to mark houghton's Review

Written on: 24/11/2005

The Tunit is a very poor product. Very poor customer service from Bromleys and it made my vehicle smoke badly. They then refused to give a refund. All their talk of try before you buy is just that and I was unable to try first, if I had I probably would have not purchased because of the huge amount of smoke and poor engine running the Tunit cause in my vehicle. A word of warning! Stay away from the Tunit and Bromleys if you have any sense!They are the sort of people who you read about and wonder how they can get away with ripping people off so badly without being caught.
<br>One very unhappy customer. Search the web you'll find a few more like me and I'm sure the longer they are in business the more you complaints you will read.

Written on: 03/09/2004

Oh I agree about spending the money, I was just hoping that a UK agent might have a better price. As I posted in a follow up I am going for the Hartge system which knocks out the same performance as A C Schnitzer's unit.
<br>
<br>A word of warning though. I spoke with A C Schnitzer's UK outlet for their products and apparently they are having problems with the emmissions so the product has been temporarily stopped. Hartge have also stated that their system isn't designed for use on 3.0 diesels that have a particulate filter - which mine does!! I am waiting for a call from Birds so that I can get the car booked in.
<br>
<br>You can get a remap but it invalidates your warranty and I am not about to risk it on a £39K car.
<br>
<br>Hartge has TuV approval so it doesn't affect your warranty at all. In fact it is widely accepted in Germany and there are a few UK dealerships that fit it. 255bhp and 419 lb/ft of torque is plenty enough for me!!
<br>Cheers

166312_Samf's Response to mark houghton's Review

Written on: 18/08/2004

I have had the Hartge motronic upgrade on my E60 530d (Birds Uxbridge) it is excellent and well worth the £900. The additional umph is very noiticable and makes it a very quick car. 50 - 100mph is sensational. No black plumes out the back, no decreased fuel consumption - its magical. Also gives std 530d's and merc 320's a bit of a shock :-)

Nullisecundus's Response to mark houghton's Review

Written on: 12/08/2004

A trip to AC Schnitzer in Aachen, on the Hun/Cloggie border is worth it for diesel tuning, and then to Allard's in Gloucester for the fitting of an enlarged intercooler, and you get M£ performance +40+mpg for a diesel 3 or 5.
<br>
<br>Anyone thinking that Eur.1000 is "too pricey" for the tuning must be exceedingly dim, unless their BMW is worth less than that, in which case it's not worth tuning. In automotive engineering, you get what you payfor - Don't use chip cowboys!!

Written on: 28/07/2004

I have been looking into this concept and it appears that there are two ways of achieving the extra power
<br>1. Turn up the boost on the injector
<br>2. Increase the duration of fuel burst
<br>
<br>It appears that the former causes the pump to work overtime and makes it harder to setup the corresponding air flow. I am not an expert and am only quoting what I have been told. The second method is the best way of increasing the power and is the chosen method of Hartge, A C Schnitzer etc. because it doesn't over stress the diesel pump and under normal driving conditions will retain standard fuel economy. If you use your right foot a bit more then the increased power band makes a big difference.
<br>
<br>I shall also opt for the Hartge system because it is BMW approved in Germany and is supplied by their dealers. There are only a few dealers in this country that actually supply it. Furthermore it's a TUV approved product (similar to ISO or BS in UK) and the insurers appear happier to accommodate it.

Written on: 27/07/2004

No sorry. The best ones are always the most expensive. I have noticed one from a company called speedbusters (speedbusters.com) who have an identical looking kit to the Hartge but for half the price. I'm personally looking at two companies which offer the same gains but in different ways. (a) Tunit from Bromley's Performance offer their plug and play device for just under £500. This unit is hidden out of sight somewhere and just piggy backs your BMW ecu and is fully adjustable to suit driving style etc. When it is set you can forget it. You can even remove it in a couple of mins and your car is back to standard and (b) DMS Automotive offer the proper laptop reprogramming of your BMW ecu which is undetectable by a BMW mechanic or diagnostic test but costs £935. Only thing is I don't think you can turn it off ??? I think I'll be going for the Tunit as it's only 3 miles away from home.

Written on: 26/07/2004

I've looked into the Hartge diesel performance kit for the 530d and it's 1200+ Euros. That's a lot of dosh! Perhaps you know somewhere where we can get it for less?
<br>Here's hoping?

Written on: 23/07/2004

Chris
<br>
<br>That is well worth knowing thank you for the info. Perhaps I'll consider a similar option dependant on which car I end up with. Have my 525d E60 back (See my review for 525d SE)and it isn't slow. Not quite up there with the 530d but not too far behind.

Written on: 23/07/2004

Depends which tuning company used. If you use a reputable one - e.g. Hartge which are recognised as an official BMW tuner then the warranty will be ok. If you use someone else, there is a question mark over the warranty? If another tuner used, just make sure they offer their own warranty against engine damage. In the case of Hartge, their package does not invalidate the warranty and Hartge also give a three year warranty against engine damage. There have been no reported cases of engine damage since diesels have been tuned in this way.

Written on: 21/07/2004

But won't this "chipping" invalidate your BMW warranty? Hardly seems worth it for the extra power?

Written on: 02/07/2004

Have to take delivery in Sept as my current contract hire ends in August. Ordered it just after the new reg came out in March 04 to beat any more price rises. No sport model available then. Got a great deal - £32k on the road including about £3k of options, posh mats and all the usual stuff. I think the current list price is about that now. I'm quite happy with my choice and when I've spent a few hundred quid on it with the chip it'll be ace. 260bhp/550NM torque and 6 1/2 secs to 60mph.

157581_Iparnell's Response to mark houghton's Review

Written on: 03/06/2004

Why are you getting the 530d SE on the first of September and not the Sport model that is being released?

Written on: 13/03/2004

Great to hear these reveiws. Can\'t wait to take delivery of my new 530d SE 1st September 04. Not even drove one yet so I am itching to get behind the wheel of one for a go.
<br>Not going to leave mine standard though. Ready to \"tune\" it straight away after delivery as I want it to be more powerful than the new V8 TDI engine in the A8.

Lion Heart69's Response to mark houghton's Review

Written on: 27/02/2004

I own same 530d e60 and fully agree with all enthusiastic comment.
<br>Nothing negative to point out.
<br>Fantastic steering, fantastic GPS and DSC