www.ancestry.co.uk Reviews

www.ancestry.co.uk - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for www.ancestry.co.uk

www.ancestry.co.uk

“previous set up found useful without any problems ”

Written on: 23/08/2015 by Collins317 (1 review written)

JUST TO SAY THE NEW SET UP IS TERRIBLE SORRY WONT BE PAYING AGAIN WILL BE MOVING TO ANOTHER SITE WONT EVEN SAY THANKS… Read Full Review

“Very disappointed”

Written on: 04/08/2015 by Emmorse (1 review written)

Yesterday, chose pay as you go, 12 credits for£9.99. Payment went through OK. First try to use a credit, message saying page unavailable try later blah, blah. 2nd try, managed to view what I wanted. When I attempted to use another credit they'd all gone! Sent email online go Ancestry, sent 2nd email via phone, replying to the confirmation email THEY sent ME re payment. As yet, no one has had the common decency to contact me. If I don't hear anything today. I will be warning all my friends on… Read Full Review

Emmorse's Response to Emmorse's Review

Written on: 05/08/2015

Have now had credits put back into my account and extended time to use them, plus I got an apology. Thank you Ancestry.co.uk

“Watch your account carefully!”

Written on: 26/04/2015 by Spinalonga1 (1 review written)

I recently signed up for one month on Ancestry and was sure I had cancelled when the date was up. It turns out that I hadn't - not sure what went wrong as I have done this several times. Consequently they have taken a further payment from my account. I phoned up straight away to point out the mistake but was told in no uncertain terms that they would not refund the mistaken payment and that I should have received an e-mail-code saying I had cancelled if I had done it correctly. I notice… Read Full Review

“Appaling Customer Service”

Written on: 18/03/2015 by tartanterror (1 review written)

Had been a member in the past and cancelled. So far everything OK. In February 2015 I joined again for just 1 month. Knowing that these schemes have a habit of rolling over, I cancelled my membership on 10 March 2015. On the same day Ancestry confirmed my cancellation by email. Two days later, they raided my bank account for another monthly fee. I wrote an email of complaint. The response I got was a survey asking me how well they had processed my enquiry??? No one had written or… Read Full Review

“VERY bad search...”

Written on: 17/02/2015 by Jaygen (4 reviews written)

I gave Ancestry 5 stars some time ago - that was when you could still use the original search (otherwise known as the old search). Sadly they've persisted with the new search which is far too broad and gives far too many results (to put it mildly), to be useful. I'm a very experienced researcher having researched my family tree back several centuries and I've used many sites including American newspaper archives, FMP, LOPC, etc. etc. and I could research someone's family tree with great ease… Read Full Review

“They clearly state that you can research your...”

Written on: 05/01/2015 by scouseland (1 review written)

They clearly state that you can research your births,marriage and death records. THIS IS A BLATANT LIE for to be able to do that you need to see the actual certificates and not a transcription which only gives you the barest details. So you cannot tie up what you see to anyone in your family because of the inadequate info you see. Example; on a birth record if you cannot see the Mother and Fathers names SO how do you know that the person is actually from your family?? The family I was… Read Full Review

“I want to keep what I have found but it does not look...”

Written on: 02/01/2015 by nanasmith (1 review written)

I want to cancel my membership with Ancestry and retain my tree and history for the family. It seems there is no way to do this without using the Ancestry Family tree disc which also includes a three month membership. Had I realised the difficulties, I would never have started with this group. When I have contacted them they only suggest using their own disc and having tried that once before, I could not use it unless I opened the Ancestry site. Does anyone know how I can download my… Read Full Review

“Worst Online Experience Ever”

Written on: 18/12/2014 by DavidStag7 (1 review written)

This is insane, I signed up for the 14-day free trail not knowing that every month after the free trial they charge you $16.50, it took me 3 months to discover the funds being leaked out of my Paypal account. I sent ancestry.com a email asking them for a refund explaining my situation. Of course, they denied me a refund so I canceled my subscription with them only to be charged a $10 early cancellation fee. By this time I'm about to go insane, I sever all ties they had to my Paypal hoping that… Read Full Review

“NOT USEFUL FOR SCOTTISH RESEARCH”

Written on: 29/07/2014 by Drumshadesmuir (1 review written)

Having signed up, I found it was not producing any Scottish resullts. I contacted them and only after several excganges did the admit that they did not have access to Scottish BD&M records. So, no use to me or anyone else researching their Scottish roots. I asked them to make it clear on their website and promotional materials but I doubt if the will… Read Full Review

“sometimes difficult to find information”

Written on: 16/06/2014

The site is quite easy to use, but it is sometimes difficult to find information. eg. I cannot find my paternal great grandfathers death anywhere. Also you can find that people have used your ancestors in their family tree when they are not related to you. This happened with my grandmother, and when I pointed this out to the member concerned she sent a very rude e mail back telling me that I obviously didn't know who my grandma was married to and not to contact her again. The worldwide… Read Full Review

Jaygen's Comment

Written on: 17/02/2015

Hi, I was a member of Ancestry.co.uk for 9yrs and it was VERY EASY to use until they got rid of the OLD search. I've cancelled my subscription with them some time ago because the new search is a total waste of time.

I too have had ancestors hijacked - the only way to stop this happening is to make your tree private. I also know someone who had her photos taken too, then the culprits met with her and wanted more information before she's realised it was them who'd stolen her photos! My trees are all private and have been for a few years!

On a previous review I gave Ancestry a high rating and preferred it over Findmypast, but now my rating would be only 1 star. :-(

“subscription scam”

Written on: 23/03/2014 by Loverb115 (1 review written)

DO NOT GET THE FREE TRIAL; Say what you like about buyer beware but they will not refund an annual subscription pro-rata, even if you try and get one shortly after the renewal date. … Read Full Review

“Subscription rip off”

Written on: 28/02/2014 by Splank (2 reviews written)

Be very careful of their subscription terms. They don't send reminders but will continue to charge you and when you come to cancel they are less than helpful. Overall I find their approach to subscriptions completely disgusting, customers are nothing more than cash cows to be milked for as long as possible. The information is handy for anyone looking into family history especially if you are in another country but I'd be very wary of giving them any payment details… Read Full Review

Pollyanna55's Response to Splank's Review

Written on: 24/03/2014

They have done the same to me. They took £155 from my credit card without authorisation, then said they had emailed me to warn me they were going to do this. I never got the email (possibly it went into my ISP's Spam bin?) and the first I knew of it was when I got the credit card statement. I rang tme immediately but they told me, very smugly, that my 7 days cooling off period was from when they sent the email - which I never received. I am very cross about this - I haven't used their service in 7 months. I intend to take this matter further. The legislation regulating online selling is simply not fit for purpose now.

“Paying again to view already paid for census records”

Written on: 06/11/2013

After more than 6 years researching and 12,500 people now in my trees this week I discovered that I am no longer able to view any original census documents which have been downloaded and paid for on my Ancestry trees. To be able to view these census records again Ancestry advised that I have to have a subscription. They have suggested that I buy a monthly subscription, print all the paid for and downloaded census' details and upload them to the trees, sent a link to show me details of how to… Read Full Review

“Impressed but a little spammy”

Written on: 23/09/2013 by saraht69 (1 review written)

Really impressed with Ancestry and have managed to track my family back to the early 1800's in no time at all. The only downside for me is the marketing side of there business feels a little spammy. My inbox is constantly receiving emails from them so be prepared for this!… Read Full Review

Ancestry.co.uk's Response to saraht69's Review

Written on: 26/09/2013

We are really happy to hear that you have had success tracing your ancestry. Sorry to hear that you are receiving a lot of our emails; you should only receive what is relevant to you. If you send an email to support@ancestry.co.uk we will ensure you do not receive any emails which you do not wish receive.

“Ease of use”

Written on: 03/09/2013

Found it cumbersome to search marriage records. Althogh entered name, surname, father's name, name of spouse and date of bith, I was presented with a list bearing no resemlance to the datails entered. Time consuming and a waste of time!!… Read Full Review

Written on: 03/09/2013

Sorry to hear that you had a frustrating experience. With over 11 Billion records on Ancestry I am sure that the Marriage record you are looking for is there. We have a dedicated Member Services team who can help you to locate it and offer excellent advice and tips on how to refine your searches to achieve better results. Please feel free to give us a call Mon- Fri 9am–10pm / Sat & Sun 9am-8pm .

Jaygen's Comment

Written on: 17/02/2015

Totally agree with you - I find that the new search is dreadful and totally useless! I've stopped researching my tree and cancelled my sub. after being a member for 9yrs. Loyal customers just don't count with Ancestry it seems.

“Attitude of staff and service”

Written on: 19/08/2013 by rickresearcher (1 review written)

I have rang Ancestry on several occassions for help and without exception all of the staff have been fantastic. Very helpful, informative and knowledgable. But best of all I felt as if I was talking to a friend because of their attitude on the phone. Really great service… Read Full Review

Ancestry.co.uk's Response to rickresearcher's Review

Written on: 20/08/2013

Thank you for your kind words.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoy using Ancestry and that we are able to offer you the service you need when you need it.

Your feedback is appreciated.

“Cannot view downloads”

Written on: 16/08/2013 by fedup1945 (1 review written)

Was a member for several years collecting census records, Marriage and Death records. You can see the items you saved BUT when you go to look at the Transcriptions of the records you saved over the years yo cannot. And about there FREE records when you go to the orignal up puts the subscription page. There our records sold to them by our so called Goverments… Read Full Review

Ancestry.co.uk's Response to fedup1945's Review

Written on: 20/08/2013

Thanks for your feedback. When you no longer have a subscription you become a registered guest and can still access your family tree and our free databases. Records which fall under a subscription are not viewable but everything stays on your tree for you.

If you have completed your research, a program such as Family Tree Maker enables you to download your entire tree and information to your computer.

Family Tree Maker is available in the shop section of Ancestry.co.uk and cit comes with free-time to the site as a bonus.

“Cancellation”

Written on: 20/07/2013

I was also automatically subscribed after the free trial. Fair enough - but then when I then tried to cancel i could not get a refund pro-rata. They took the full yearly subscription. … Read Full Review

“Happy to Use”

Written on: 10/07/2013

I have been using Ancestry for some years now as well as other sites. I have researched my own, my husbands as well as an american friends family history and overall find ancestry one of the easier sites to use. Each family history site has it's strengths and weaknesses but I use ancestry most of the time. As I have some non british ancestry I have found some difficulty in getting information on this area, but do not necessarily think this is ancestry's problem, as it would appear that you… Read Full Review

Written on: 11/07/2013

Thank you for your feedback. We are working everyday to grow and expand our offering of records and may have the records you seek from outside the UK in the future. If you 'like' our Facebook page you can stay updated on new releases and upcoming events.
I hope that you have success in your research and that you continue to enjoy using Ancestry.

“cancellation ”

Written on: 14/06/2013

I have had the exact same issue regarding cancellation. Im am completely disgusted that after making sure I cancel my subscription within the free two week trial I still get charged. I do not believe that having to confirm THREE times to cancel my membership is acceptable. I clicked on the link to cancel my membership and another link to confirm it, believing I have now cancelled, only to look at my bank statement and see I have been charged! As a consumer, who was made to believe I could… Read Full Review

Written on: 18/06/2013

I am sorry to hear that you have had a frustrating experience. Our free 14 day trial is without obligation and if cancelled inside the 14 days there is no charge from Ancestry. Once cancelled an automatic email confirmation is sent with a cancellation number. If cancelled there can be no charges for a subscription. Only one free trial of one of our subscription options is allowed per person. The Free trial requires registration with a valid credit or debit card. You will be charged the full amount of your chosen subscription price on expiry of the free trial, unless you cancel your subscription earlier by calling or visiting My Account or by emailing us. This information is included within the terms and conditions all members must agree to prior to initiation of membership.

Troberts11's Comment

Written on: 20/06/2013

'I told you so' comments are not something consumers wish to here. I am happy to take responsibility for the fact I did not cancel my subscription in the way you wished. However as I am giving you a review of your service and you take the time to reply, perhaps you should take into consideration my comments rather than reitering what I already know...which I why I am making a negative review in the first place

Cindersm's Comment

Written on: 17/01/2015

This is rubbish from ancestry. I took a free 30 day trial and cancelled before the time was up but yhey still charged me. Cannot get a refund so basically they stole my money. Never sign up with this company for anything.