www.ancestry.co.uk Reviews

www.ancestry.co.uk - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for www.ancestry.co.uk

“subscription scam”

Written on: 23/03/2014 by Loverb115 (1 review written)

DO NOT GET THE FREE TRIAL; Say what you like about buyer beware but they will not refund an annual subscription pro-rata, even if you try and get one shortly after the renewal date. … Read Full Review

“Subscription rip off”

Written on: 28/02/2014 by Splank (2 reviews written)

Be very careful of their subscription terms. They don't send reminders but will continue to charge you and when you come to cancel they are less than helpful. Overall I find their approach to subscriptions completely disgusting, customers are nothing more than cash cows to be milked for as long as possible. The information is handy for anyone looking into family history especially if you are in another country but I'd be very wary of giving them any payment details… Read Full Review

Pollyanna55's Response to Splank's Review

Written on: 24/03/2014

They have done the same to me. They took £155 from my credit card without authorisation, then said they had emailed me to warn me they were going to do this. I never got the email (possibly it went into my ISP's Spam bin?) and the first I knew of it was when I got the credit card statement. I rang tme immediately but they told me, very smugly, that my 7 days cooling off period was from when they sent the email - which I never received. I am very cross about this - I haven't used their service in 7 months. I intend to take this matter further. The legislation regulating online selling is simply not fit for purpose now.

“Paying again to view already paid for census records”

Written on: 06/11/2013

After more than 6 years researching and 12,500 people now in my trees this week I discovered that I am no longer able to view any original census documents which have been downloaded and paid for on my Ancestry trees. To be able to view these census records again Ancestry advised that I have to have a subscription. They have suggested that I buy a monthly subscription, print all the paid for and downloaded census' details and upload them to the trees, sent a link to show me details of how to… Read Full Review

“Impressed but a little spammy”

Written on: 23/09/2013 by saraht69 (1 review written)

Really impressed with Ancestry and have managed to track my family back to the early 1800's in no time at all. The only downside for me is the marketing side of there business feels a little spammy. My inbox is constantly receiving emails from them so be prepared for this!… Read Full Review

Ancestry.co.uk's Response to saraht69's Review

Written on: 26/09/2013

We are really happy to hear that you have had success tracing your ancestry. Sorry to hear that you are receiving a lot of our emails; you should only receive what is relevant to you. If you send an email to support@ancestry.co.uk we will ensure you do not receive any emails which you do not wish receive.

“Ease of use”

Written on: 03/09/2013

Found it cumbersome to search marriage records. Althogh entered name, surname, father's name, name of spouse and date of bith, I was presented with a list bearing no resemlance to the datails entered. Time consuming and a waste of time!!… Read Full Review

Written on: 03/09/2013

Sorry to hear that you had a frustrating experience. With over 11 Billion records on Ancestry I am sure that the Marriage record you are looking for is there. We have a dedicated Member Services team who can help you to locate it and offer excellent advice and tips on how to refine your searches to achieve better results. Please feel free to give us a call Mon- Fri 9am–10pm / Sat & Sun 9am-8pm .

“Attitude of staff and service”

Written on: 19/08/2013 by rickresearcher (1 review written)

I have rang Ancestry on several occassions for help and without exception all of the staff have been fantastic. Very helpful, informative and knowledgable. But best of all I felt as if I was talking to a friend because of their attitude on the phone. Really great service… Read Full Review

Ancestry.co.uk's Response to rickresearcher's Review

Written on: 20/08/2013

Thank you for your kind words.

We are delighted to hear that you enjoy using Ancestry and that we are able to offer you the service you need when you need it.

Your feedback is appreciated.

“Cannot view downloads”

Written on: 16/08/2013 by fedup1945 (1 review written)

Was a member for several years collecting census records, Marriage and Death records. You can see the items you saved BUT when you go to look at the Transcriptions of the records you saved over the years yo cannot. And about there FREE records when you go to the orignal up puts the subscription page. There our records sold to them by our so called Goverments… Read Full Review

Ancestry.co.uk's Response to fedup1945's Review

Written on: 20/08/2013

Thanks for your feedback. When you no longer have a subscription you become a registered guest and can still access your family tree and our free databases. Records which fall under a subscription are not viewable but everything stays on your tree for you.

If you have completed your research, a program such as Family Tree Maker enables you to download your entire tree and information to your computer.

Family Tree Maker is available in the shop section of Ancestry.co.uk and cit comes with free-time to the site as a bonus.

“Cancellation”

Written on: 20/07/2013

I was also automatically subscribed after the free trial. Fair enough - but then when I then tried to cancel i could not get a refund pro-rata. They took the full yearly subscription. … Read Full Review

“Happy to Use”

Written on: 10/07/2013

I have been using Ancestry for some years now as well as other sites. I have researched my own, my husbands as well as an american friends family history and overall find ancestry one of the easier sites to use. Each family history site has it's strengths and weaknesses but I use ancestry most of the time. As I have some non british ancestry I have found some difficulty in getting information on this area, but do not necessarily think this is ancestry's problem, as it would appear that you… Read Full Review

Written on: 11/07/2013

Thank you for your feedback. We are working everyday to grow and expand our offering of records and may have the records you seek from outside the UK in the future. If you 'like' our Facebook page you can stay updated on new releases and upcoming events.
I hope that you have success in your research and that you continue to enjoy using Ancestry.

“cancellation ”

Written on: 14/06/2013

I have had the exact same issue regarding cancellation. Im am completely disgusted that after making sure I cancel my subscription within the free two week trial I still get charged. I do not believe that having to confirm THREE times to cancel my membership is acceptable. I clicked on the link to cancel my membership and another link to confirm it, believing I have now cancelled, only to look at my bank statement and see I have been charged! As a consumer, who was made to believe I could… Read Full Review

Written on: 18/06/2013

I am sorry to hear that you have had a frustrating experience. Our free 14 day trial is without obligation and if cancelled inside the 14 days there is no charge from Ancestry. Once cancelled an automatic email confirmation is sent with a cancellation number. If cancelled there can be no charges for a subscription. Only one free trial of one of our subscription options is allowed per person. The Free trial requires registration with a valid credit or debit card. You will be charged the full amount of your chosen subscription price on expiry of the free trial, unless you cancel your subscription earlier by calling or visiting My Account or by emailing us. This information is included within the terms and conditions all members must agree to prior to initiation of membership.

Troberts11's Comment

Written on: 20/06/2013

'I told you so' comments are not something consumers wish to here. I am happy to take responsibility for the fact I did not cancel my subscription in the way you wished. However as I am giving you a review of your service and you take the time to reply, perhaps you should take into consideration my comments rather than reitering what I already know...which I why I am making a negative review in the first place

“SO USER FRIENDLY! (if you use the OLD search)”

Written on: 10/06/2013 by Jaygen (2 reviews written)

I started out on findmypast in 2004 when it was 1837online. I’ve researched through all my family tree with some lines now stretching back to around 1066, and have also researched trees for family and friends so I’m pretty experienced in finding information, and I like to back everything up with original records where possible. I soon switched to Ancestry, because personally, I find it much quicker and much more user friendly. On parish registers for example, you can search by father or… Read Full Review

Hitoweruk's Response to Jaygen's Review

Written on: 26/06/2013

Very well rounded review but you forgot to mention that Ancestry have no idea where half of the counties are in the UK! I reported this 3 years ago and they said they were dealing with it but they staill have thousands of towns and cities in the wrong counties. Id you're looking under county names, you will often not find the record you're looking for and this is a pain in the neck!!

Jaygen's reply to Hitoweruk's Comment

Written on: 26/06/2013

I DO AGREE WITH YOU – no one could fail to notice that various places in London are in Cheshire etc. (if memory serves)! However I have to say, that I haven’t found this a problem myself, perhaps because of the way I’ve learned to search, or maybe my research has been in different areas to yours. What I have found a problem is mis-transcriptions on parish registers because of old handwriting which you need an experienced eye to transcribe. The problem I found several years ago with FMP, was that I just couldn’t find some of my families on the census, which I was able to find at Ancestry (thankfully). I’ve had the same problem recently looking on the 1911 census for my friend’s family. I had to wait a few weeks till it became available on Ancestry. The other big problem I have with FMP is that certain records are not searchable, and with some, like the parish registers, you have to trawl through the results because you can’t filter them down enough (with parents names for example). This for me is a pain in the neck!

I think many of the records on Ancestry have been made searchable by volunteers who don’t live in the same country let alone the same county and sadly the pay off is inaccuracies. Whether this is the same reason for inaccuracies at FMP I really don’t know. When I found my friend’s family on Ancestry, I couldn’t see why the transcriber at FMP had such a problem – the name transcribed was utter gobbledegook. Oh well, I guess both sites "just can't get the staff" :-D

I’m just glad that there’s more than one site to choose from. As I said in my review, I think it’s pretty much down to personal taste and how experienced you become using each site. My second cousin was very impressed with Ancestry when he viewed our family tree, but he still prefers to use FMP. Having said that, I asked him to do a look-up on their parish registers and he couldn’t find the same record I’d found! Hence my having a subscription at both sites. I must add that although he prefers to carry on using FMP, I don't think he's given Ancestry a try - I guess it's just what you're used to. He was very glad of the Probate records from Ancestry though. So, I guess its 'swings & roundabouts'.

“Ancestry - get your transcription accuaracy sorted out !”

Written on: 10/06/2013 by gxmartinbaker (2 reviews written)

Lots of interesting databases. BUT the reliability of transcribed data continues to be very, very poor. The error rate for mis-transcribed information is frighteningly high. Absolute howlers, where the people doing transcription work appear to have no grasp of English, and no idea about English names, place names or occupations. Even when I have talked to Ancestry directly at exhibitions etc, they just shrug their shoulders and look surprised. Also, do not wheel in you Ancestry USA based… Read Full Review

Ancestry.co.uk's Response to gxmartinbaker's Review

Written on: 14/06/2013

Sorry to hear that you are unhappy with the quality of some of our records. Please understand that while we receive a large volume of error submissions to our queue, they represent a very small percentage of the total number of records on Ancestry. Due to the volume of error submissions, fixes to errors on Ancestry are posted firstly in the order of those which affect the greatest number of users, and thereafter in the order in which they are reported.

We also have a system in place whereby users can typically add a User Comment to any record that they feel may be incorrect. You will find a "add alternate information" or "add comment" link to the right of each database result. If you add a User Comment (once the feature is again available), your comments or corrections will be connected to the database result for others to view.

If you wish to consult our corporate policy regarding the content provided on Ancestry.com, please go to our site.

“NOT CUSTOMER FRIENDLY”

Written on: 29/05/2013

Signed up for the free trial. Not what I wanted so went to cancel. Admit it was not in the 14days but funny how they can't email to remind you the 14 days trial is coming to an end?! Spoke to the staff to see if I cancelled after a few weeks if part payment could be refunded. They just kept reading the company policy to me and were totally unhelpful. Went off to speak to supervisor and kept me on the line for nearly 2 minutes at 14p per minute then cut me off. Rang again and went through the… Read Full Review

Written on: 01/06/2013

We are sorry to hear that you have had a frustrating experience. Our free 14 day trial is without obligation and if cancelled inside the 14 days there is no charge from Ancestry. Once cancelled an automatic email confirmation is sent with a cancellation number. If cancelled there can be no charges for a subscription. Only one free trial of one of our subscription options is allowed per person. The Free trial requires registration with a valid credit or debit card. You will be charged the full amount of your chosen subscription price on expiry of the free trial, unless you cancel your subscription earlier by calling us or visiting My Account or by emailing us. This information is included within the terms and conditions all members must agree to prior to initiation of membership.

Written on: 02/06/2013

I am sorry to hear that you had a frustrating experience on the phone. Our Member Services number is free from a land-line but I can appreciate that it must have been very annoying if your call dropped.
Our 14 day Free Trial is without obligation and gives the same level of access as a full subscription does with access to over 11 billion records. Unfortunately if it is not cancelled inside the trial period, as per terms and conditions, it will run into the paid subscription chosen when taking the trial. A monthly subscription can be cancelled at any time, either over the phone or online and it will not renew into a new monthly period if cancelled.

“ free trial cancellation problem issues”

Written on: 01/05/2013

I took the free trial with a view to taking out a subscription for a present for a family member. Well within the free trial period I cancelled online . There are many stages to the process and I am pretty computer literate so I doubt I did it wrong but I have no record number and thus they will not refund. I had taken to time to call them first to confirm that if I cancelled there would be no charge until I took out the new subscription later in the year as a present. It was suggested I do… Read Full Review

Written on: 02/05/2013

Thank you for your feedback on the online cancellation process. It sounds as though you went part way through cancellation but did not confirm at the end. I can appreciate your frustration and have passed your feedback on the cancellation process to our development team. Cancellation can be performed by calling 0800 404 9723 or visiting My Account or by emailing support@ancestry.co.uk.

For information regarding additional methods of submitting feedback, please visit our site.

Troberts11's Comment

Written on: 14/06/2013

I have had the exact same issue. Im am completely disgusted that after making sure I cancel my subscription within the free two week trial I still get charged.

As a consumer, who was made to believe I could cancel my subscription after a free two week trial 'easily', seems like a fault with Ancestry.co.uk who clearly have the intention of making you think it has been cancelled when it has not.
In these situations where the consumer has obviously intended to cancel within the time limits, you should be offering refunds, especially if the account has blatently not been used after 'cancellation'. I thought after my two week trial that I needed further information from family members to continue my search and I may decide to subscribe to the service in a couple of years time, but after speaking with the support employee on the telephone, he was clearly lying this situation does not happen.

I will not be using this service again.

“Efficient site Lazy Management”

Written on: 23/04/2013 by terrier13 (1 review written)

I had tried Ancestry some time ago on the Free Trial basis before finally taking the plunge last summer and have not regretted it one iota. You have to bear in mind, like any human activity there are strengths and weaknesses involved. From a personal perspective it took some time even to get started because you have to learn how to get the best out of it, how to manage your research and how to handle the hints. You soon pick up the reliable and not so reliable contributors. Secondly you… Read Full Review

Ancestry.co.uk's Response to terrier13's Review

Written on: 24/04/2013

Hi Terrier13,

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback and I have passed on your comments in relation to transcription errors to our development team. Feedback from valued members helps us to provide a quality service and is always welcome. Thank you.

“Ancestry.co.uk - curate's egg - good in parts.”

Written on: 06/04/2013 by LesDx (1 review written)

I've been part of Ancestry on-and-off for many years and don't have a problem with their subscription/cancellation process. I also found the software excellent in tracking 'easy' relatives through several links - BMD/Census/etc. As such, it's great to get started. But the database is getting very large, and some additions are not well transcribed. In particular, the London Electoral Registers seem to have been processed by far-eastern computers and are exceedingly difficult to search, other… Read Full Review

Ancestry.co.uk's Response to LesDx's Review

Written on: 07/04/2013

Thanks for your valuable feedback. We have forwarded your comments to our development team. We strive to make your experience with Ancestry a positive one and wish you continued success in your research.

“Make sure you cancel free trail right”

Written on: 06/04/2013

I signed upto the free trail and a few days before the end date i filled in all the cancel subscription options from the My Account tab, even stating that i was no longer doing research but like other people ive seen i didnt have an email to confirm or a cancellation number but yet when filling out the cancel subscription from the My account section i thought it had gone through but two days ago they took money from my account an have put me on a monthly subscription which i dont want nor will… Read Full Review

Written on: 07/04/2013

I am sorry to hear that you have had a frustrating experience. Our free 14 day trial is without obligation and if cancelled inside the 14 days there is no charge from Ancestry. Once cancelled an automatic email confirmation is sent with a cancellation number. If cancelled there can be no charges for a subscription. It sounds as though you went part way through cancellation but did not confirm at the end. I can appreciate your frustration and have passed your feedback on the cancellation process to our development team. Cancellation can be performed in three ways, by calling 0800 404 9723 or visiting My Account or by emailing support@ancestry.co.uk.

“year payment taken, cancelled account, ”

Written on: 04/04/2013 by ann1152 (1 review written)

I decided to try this site and then cancelled. a payment of £107.40 was taken from my bank. contacted Ancestry, "we can only see trial account". checked with bank payment been made to Ancestry. after many email phoned support same response cannot find payment even with the transaction number. asked to post bank statement, emailed to save time. reply this time" this would appear to be a payment for a years subscription but cannot find please give card number". have already done this try again… Read Full Review

Ancestry.co.uk's Response to ann1152's Review

Written on: 04/04/2013

Hi ann1152, Our Free 14 day trial is without obligation. If canceled inside 14 days there can be no charge from Ancestry. We can search for an account based on your email address used to register the account initially. The email address you have provided only shows a free trial account which was cancelled. Is it possible that you may have used a different email address when you signed up?
I can appreciate that this has caused frustration. Once we can locate your account we can resolve this issue for you. Please call our Member Services team as they will be able to locate your account based on the card details used to pay for this subscription.
0800-404-9723 Monday - Friday:9:00 am - 10:00 pm Saturday - Sunday:9:00 am - 8:00 pm

“Cancellation NIGHTMARE!”

Written on: 04/04/2013 by Sarah_Shoebridge (1 review written)

I've just submitted a complaint to Ancestry so we'll see how it goes. I moved out of home in January, so naturally trying to save money per month I looked at my finances and decided what I did and did not need to pay for. Unfortunately, Ancestry got the boot, purely because I work full time and I'm a part time student too, so didn't have the time to use the site. So my payment on January 4th came out and I cancelled my subscription, must have been between 11th January and 17th January. It… Read Full Review

Ancestry.co.uk's Response to Sarah_Shoebridge's Review

Written on: 04/04/2013

Hi Sarah, I am sorry to hear that you have had a poor experience of our cancellation process. One of the attractive benefits of our monthly subscriptions is that they can be canceled at any time, by email, over the phone with our member services team or online. If a cancellation is fully completed online or by any of the methods mentioned, a confirmation email containing a cancellation number is sent automatically. If you did not receive a confirmation email it means that the process was not fully completed online. I can appreciate your frustration as from what you have described you have made a genuine attempt to cancel.
If the cancellation did not complete online and your account remained active then our system would automatically attempt to take payment as normal. If you had canceled your direct debit and the bank allowed payments to process despite this then I would advise to contact your banking institution as that is a banking issue.
I can see that our Member Services team have replied to your email this morning. I am going to review this further for you and will respond promptly. Thank you for your feedback. We strive to provide a quality service and feedback from our members is always welcome.

“Cancellation NOT made easy!!”

Written on: 29/03/2013 by DaveR33 (1 review written)

I signed up to Ancestry about 3 years ago and eventually got as far as I could without having to spend a lot more money. I therefore cancelled my account. However on receiving my credit card bill this month I saw that I had been charged a further 12months subscription. I contacted Ancestry and got a no quible refund, however it turned out I hadnt completed the concellation proceedure. The lady operator talked me through it and I had to go through 4 or 5 pages of blurb telling me what I was… Read Full Review

Ancestry.co.uk's Response to DaveR33's Review

Written on: 31/03/2013

Hi DaveR33, I am very sorry to hear that you have had an issue with the online cancellation process. Cancellation can be processed online, by email or over the phone with one of our Member Services representatives. The online cancellation process is not designed to confuse but your feedback is appreciated and has been passed to our development team. In instances where the process was not completed online but you had clearly made a genuine attempt to do so a refund would be considered and I am happy to hear that a full refund was processed for you. I am sorry that the online cancellation process caused you distress and thank you for your valuable feedback.