RWS/Diana Model 54 .177 cal Reviews

Media Gallery for RWS/Diana Model 54 .177 cal

RWS/Diana Model 54  .177 cal
RWS/Diana Model 54  .177 cal

“Scope Eater”

Written on: 02/01/2012 by mbob994 (1 review written)

I am very pleased with this gun. Mine shoots very accurately with JSB 10.2 grain pellets. My 54 chewed up a Centerpoint 3-9x40 after 500 rounds or so. I then purchased a Leapers 4-16x56 in 30mm for $189 and I am nearing 2000 rounds with no problem. I also added two \"O\" Rings on the slide rail to help dampen and cusion the impact from the recoil. This shortened the slide distance a small amount but has not effected the accuracy. The Leapers scope base with barrel droop compensation is also a… Read Full Review

“airking”

Written on: 20/11/2011 by halfman2010 (1 review written)

i have an airking my gun is very accurary and powerfull and i think is beter than evry sprin air rifle because its very very accurate and very beautiful… Read Full Review

“This rifle is heavy , bulky, awkward to cock, and very...”

Written on: 28/11/2009 by bobjbrown (34 reviews written)

This rifle is heavy , bulky, awkward to cock, and very fiddly.
However it is also the most accurate spring rifle I've ever used, scoped it produces excellent groupings, certainly as good as a PCP.
I use mine mainly for doing what air rifles are best at, shooting up tin cans and knock-downs in my back yard at around 50 yards, with open sights.
I think its too noisy for a hunting rifle, and the complex and noisy cocking action meeans its not ideally suited to this anyway.
However as the book… Read Full Review

“Beautiful rifle, well balance and a pleasure to shoot....”

Written on: 01/06/2009 by Tholzel (14 reviews written)

Beautiful rifle, well balance and a pleasure to shoot. Quiet and assured shot after shot. Easy to cock with its single stroke under lever. 1014 fps with 8.2 grain RWS Meister Kugeln wad-cutter… Read Full Review

“ RWS/Diana Model 54 .177 cal is heavy bulky feeling”

Written on: 13/04/2009

RWS/Diana Model 54 .177 cal is heavy bulky feeling… Read Full Review

“You must do it practically and u will agree. Otherwise...”

Written on: 21/10/2008 by naveedarshad (1 review written)

You must do it practically and u will agree. Otherwise it is a scope buster . ziess conquest lasted appox 400 shots, leopold efr 2/9/33 laste appox 1200 and bushnell trophy appox 2500 shots. now i will try 3200 elete bushnell. It is a good gun but u need to keep zeroing it after 100 shots.
I have used many of the 54s so it is not a one 54 judgement. I have shoot baracuda match which gives the best result after testing atleast 15 different types of pellets. i can even show u targets with each… Read Full Review

Ssssavage999's Response to naveedarshad's Review

Written on: 05/08/2011

I am new to the Diana 54 BUT what the RWS 4-12X50 CI Air Rifle Scope with Illuminated Reticle says is that it is specified for the specific recoil this gun gives. Is this correct or will it soon destroy it too??

“Perfect accuracy, high quality material.”

Written on: 24/10/2007 by sonofsun (1 review written)

Perfect accuracy, high quality material… Read Full Review

“After modifying the trigger pull weight to 1/2 pound...”

Written on: 12/02/2007 by azuaro (1 review written)

After modifying the trigger pull weight to 1/2 pound and adding the factory stabilizer I was able to shoot very accurate up to 50 m. I used Crosman Premier 10.5 gr. pellets, the grouping at 50 yards varied in between 3/8" (best) and a little over 1/2" (worst); you can shoot like this all day long.
This is a very high quality gun for the price; most FT rifles that shoot as accurate at 50 m. are well over $1,800.00 Dollars in the US (Feinwerkbau p70 FT, Steyr LG110, Anschutz 8002 or 9003 modified… Read Full Review

“I had a RWS 54 back in 2003 when I was starting out in...”

Written on: 25/12/2006 by jimpoh (3 reviews written)

I had a RWS 54 back in 2003 when I was starting out in airgunning but made the mistake of selling it cheap to a buddy due to the heavy weight. In 2005, I shot his RWS 54 0.22 caliber in Idaho during a sage rat hunt and discovered that the gun was very smooth and deadly accurate for hunting after a tune. In June? 2005, I took the plunge and bought a used RWS 54 (it already had a Maccari spring installed) and I sent the gun to a tuner to have it tuned. Got the gun back in Nov? 2005 and this gun… Read Full Review

“I had written a review some time back about the RWS...”

Written on: 08/11/2005 by John Carroll (1 review written)

I had written a review some time back about the RWS 544 (22) spraying a loose shot about every 4th or so. I read a suggestion on this site about pellet selection, and I purchased the recommended ones for this rifle. (Benjamin 22 cal Diablo Dome Shaped 14.1 g). The purchase of this pellet has resulted in elimination of the loose shots. It now groups within 1/8… Read Full Review

“I've owned my RWS/Diana Model 54 for about two years....”

Written on: 27/07/2005 by Derfflinger (1 review written)

I've owned my RWS/Diana Model 54 for about two years. I don't mind the heaviness. In a world the meek expect to inherit, this isn't a gun, for them. Have had swivels installed for sling or bipod. I use a Bushnell 4200 elite scope....6-24-40...with sun shade. Have shot 3/8" group at 50yrds. Take my targets down after shooting, don't want to make anybody feel bad… Read Full Review

“I don't care about the weight or the noise. ”

Written on: 30/04/2005 by eeluk (1 review written)

I don't care about the weight or the noise.
This RWS/Diana Model 54 .177 cal Air Rifle shoots better groupings than I ever thought I'd see, let alone shoot them myself.
It's so powerful that it is destoying my Gamo target trap..in less than 100 pellets

Get an expensive scope, it makes a difference… Read Full Review

“I've owned the Diana 54 .177 col. for a few months...”

Written on: 21/12/2004 by Hornet (1 review written)

I've owned the Diana 54 .177 col. for a few months now, and although I think that it is not the right rifle for me (I like shorter ones more because they are just more handy) I am impressed with its accuracy, power and reliability. but if you are looking for a rifle that is lighter and easier to handle, this is not what you are looking for. If you want to buy one anyway, be very careful with maintenance as it is a high-power air rifle you should always fire at least 3 cleaning pellets as one is… Read Full Review

“The price of miss Diana Model 54 gets as high as 540...”

Written on: 20/12/2004 by Franchy (1 review written)

The price of miss Diana Model 54 gets as high as 540 eur (650 us dollars). The iron sights were very poor...for that price. You just can't get all accuracy potential with that open sights.
Then I bought Bushnell Sportman 3-9x32 (made in China) scope. It was broken after one-two hundreds shots. (The lenses started to move forward.) The scope was repaired with blue Locktite and now it is working for half year.
(Well, I'm planning to buy Bushnell Elite 4200 scope.)
All I got is 1" 7-pellets… Read Full Review

Hornet's Response to Franchy's Review

Written on: 22/12/2004

Gets as high as 540 euros?
<br>I've seen one in a shop for 1100 euro (I know that is the velocity in ft/sec in .177 cal)
<br>but it was 1100 euros--- I asked
<br>I found another shop though were I got it for 653 euros.

Hornet's Response to Franchy's Review

Written on: 11/01/2006

well, of course it is a racoilless rifle BUT ONLY TO THE SHOOTER!!!!!!!!!!!! as the sacope sits on the moving part of the rifle, it gets every joul of the blow!!!!! it is even worse as the whole thing moves back. i have had a gamo 3-12x31 on it but that screwed up after about 120 shots :-)
<br>i have been told, that the bushnell series 4200 9-16x50 is the best scope for thast rifle as it is designed for high recoil. yes, it is a big and heavy scope but with a proper mounting it will keep in place. i havn't got one myself as i will sell my 45. i moved to germany half a year ago and can't shoot anywere with my beauty as it is illegal in germany :-( thats what i hate about the country... everything fun is forbidden because it might injure someone. yea... if your stupid enough it will... ;-)

Axeltalk's Response to Franchy's Review

Written on: 14/12/2005

Regarding pellets: I found the Beeman Kodiac Magnums worked extremely well. At 35yds every shot was consistent. I have also had troubles with the proper scope. I keep blowing out the optics. I haven't been able to find anyone who can tell me whether a reverse recoil or regular rifle scope should be used due to the recoiless nature of this rifle.

“This is my second air rifle; my first was the Daisy...”

Written on: 20/09/2004 by AigunScott (1 review written)

This is my second air rifle; my first was the Daisy Winchester 800 break barrel which caused me to become addicted to the sport. I am not yet comfortable enough to go with a PCP and the Diana gets me the accuracy I desire as I learn to shot and keeps my interest in the sport going… Read Full Review

“RWS/Diana Model 54 .177 cal: Fit and finish is...”

Written on: 22/02/2004 by usiddkr (3 reviews written)

RWS/Diana Model 54 .177 cal: Fit and finish is excellent, typical of German guns. Stock color resembled mahogony and was very smooth satin finish. Receiver bluing is deep and metal finish is well polished. Likewise, barrel bluing is dark with a matt finish. Both grip and forearm checking seems to be pressed in and diamonds are filled with stock finish. Cocking the action was smooth and not overly difficult. Inserting a pellet was a little tricky as you have to reach into the action to… Read Full Review

Jack Humphreys's Response to usiddkr's Review

Written on: 25/08/2006

This is probably the most accurate review I have read so far. I am a new owner of the RWS/Diana Model 54 .22 cal. Having previous experience with pump Crossman&#039;s and break barrel Beeman&#039;s, in my opinion the RWS 54 beats them all. I do find the weight to be a problem with anything other than bench shooting. I agree too the the loading is a bit quirky. Also the cocking is not something to perform unless you have been lifting weights. Grouping is as good as expected for a new shooter on a new rifle. I expect this will improve with time.

“Absolutely superior quality and performance - Use a...”

Written on: 14/07/2003 by Colli. (1 review written)

Absolutely superior quality and performance - Use a top-end scope and mounts - use heavier domed or pointed pellets - A thing of beauty to see, hold, and use. It will shoot as good as you can hold - guaranteed!… Read Full Review

“I bought the 48 a few weeks ago (see my review). ...”

Written on: 19/04/2003 by Andries du Toit. (1 review written)

I bought the 48 a few weeks ago (see my review). After that I went to a gun shop that sells the 54.

The first thing the salesman did was to put the butt of the gun on the glass counter and pull the trigger. There was a loud bang and the glass was still intact. I then put the gun against my shoulder expecting the same sensation when shooting with the 48. What an amazing feeling when I pulled the trigger. It felt like shooting a play gun, there was no recoil!! It was the most amazing… Read Full Review

95210_Roadhouserumbler.'s Response to 90201_Andries du Toit.'s Review

Written on: 06/05/2003

Are you selling the 48 then?

Cnsane's Response to 90201_Andries du Toit.'s Review

Written on: 08/12/2003

Good Morning, Andy. A lot of people have trouble with American slang when it's not their first language. Right now I own an HW-80 in 5mm, an HW-45 in .177, a .25 cal. Patriot, a RWS-48 in .177, a 54 in .22 and my boyhood Sheridan C. I also own real guns, as you say, because I'm in America where we're "allowed" to possess handguns and rifles. Your comments about dry firing call into question your title of expert among knowledgable airgunners. Always happy to chat off board as sonmikepj at hotmail.com Drop the du Toity attitude, dude.

Andriesdt's Response to 90201_Andries du Toit.'s Review

Written on: 06/12/2003

Hey Cnsane - see insane - at least your name fits the review. Can you only afford the model 20 and now you are you jealous that you do not have a 54, or what is your problem? I wrote this report in April 2003. It is now December 2003 and guess what, 1500 shots later, the gun is still recoilles, I'm using the same original spring and I am shooting with a (Webley) scope without any problems.
<br>
<br>Regarding the dry firing. Why should I care if the salesman is prepared to shoot the gun without being loaded. If this sales technique works for him (which it obviously did), then it is fine with me. We all know that demo guns have been fired dry one time or the other.
<br>
<br>I still think this is the best gun on the market and will be for a long time. So, see insane, sell your model 20 and save up for a real gun and get real.
<br>Andries du Toit

Cnsane's Response to 90201_Andries du Toit.'s Review

Written on: 03/12/2003

The salesman dry fired the rifle and you did likewise? And you've only owned it two weeks. At least you're correct about one thing; get high quality glass or set it up with an aperature and take a file to that fat plastic front blade. Would be interested in knowing whether you manage to break it in before you break the spring. How many dozens of shots did you put through it to write this review?

“Bought the RWS 54 after much research. $378 for a...”

Written on: 02/02/2003 by jim p. (1 review written)

Bought the RWS 54 after much research. $378 for a "demo" model (new is around $530). I knew this was one big heavy gun (9lbs). So I started lifting weights to get ready for it. Got it in Jan 2003. THIS IS ONE BEAUTIFUL AND ACCURATE GUN. I bought a Bushnell Banner 6-18X 40mm with a B square mount. The whole set up weighted in at around 11 lbs. Had a little trouble with the mount ... finally figured it out. Unless you are familiar with B square mounts, I highly suggest you read the… Read Full Review

70713_Jim P.'s Response to 69848_jim p.'s Review

Written on: 05/02/2003

Update. Had the gun for about a month now. Cocking problem solved...went away by itself...maybe it was me and I wasn't pulling hard enough to cock it.
BTW it's locktite not locklite the scope mount. I had to do the locktite routine on the scope mount screws about 4 times (I used the blue colored medium strength locktite...I didn't clean out the screws enough and I didn't let it cure for 24 hrs...SO BE PATIENT clean it out and let it cure).
Just killed 3 pine cones yesterday (3 pellets...3 kills) from about 45 feet away and the pine cones were about 35 feet up the tree. Hope the neighbors didn't hear or see me.
Aim high and shoot for the stars

Mrseliger's Response to 69848_jim p.'s Review

Written on: 20/11/2010

I agree with his assment of this gun. You really need to buy a scope that is rated for magnum recoil. I disassembled my gun after I had problems with accuracey. The barrel is over machined to a point that it is weak. I would rather have a heavey barrel and a synthetic stock. The sights supplied stink, they are too wide on the muzzel and move when touched on the receiver. For the price of this gun you would think that RWS would put good sights on. I do not recomend this gun to anybody unless they like to resight every time you use it. It is very accurate until you put it down or touch the barrel when cocking it. I think RWS needs to replace the barrel and sights for everyone that owns one. Keep looking for a better rifle!

97144_Jim P.'s Response to 69848_jim p.'s Review

Written on: 12/05/2003

May 12, 2003 update.
<br>This gun is finally shooting straight. Found out it wasn't me. Changed the scope to a Bushnell Trophy 4-12X 40.
<br>
<br>Had some problems with light pellets.
<br>
<br>Finally the Crosman Premier 0.177 10 grain pellet solved the problem. The lighter pellets were going supersonic and became unstable and inaccurate.
<br>
<br>One Hole Group at 45 feet with no problem now.
<br>
<br>Got a few more stratches on the stock.
<br>Man this is one big heavy gun. And this gun holds only one shot.
<br>
<br>Was looking at an AirArms 410E ...boy are they expensive ($560...hmm)
<br>
<br>Good luck if you bought the gun.
<br>If you haven't...keep looking.
<br>Jim
<br>

“The RWS/Diana 54 is another well built German springer...”

Written on: 25/09/2002 by M.. (1 review written)

The RWS/Diana 54 is another well built German springer magnum. Very accurate even for target shooting, and a powerful hunter. Less than 1" groups possible upto 50-60yds with scope. Mine shoots best with 8.3gr superdomes that have enough energy for hunting at these ranges. Better marksmen can go up to 80yds for clean effective kills. For target shooting, follow thru is easy with the recoiless action. Heavy recoil (not felt by the shooter) makes a scope mount with pins and a scope stop a… Read Full Review

104783_Jimp.'s Response to 39844_M..'s Review

Written on: 06/06/2003

You can extend the side lever for cocking the gun!!!???
<br>
<br>Are we talking about the same gun? Because I have an RWS 54 0.177 caliber and the side lever does not extend.
<br>
<br>Maybe your are talking about aftermarket modifications? Please clarify.
<br>
<br>Don't know why ...but mine does not shoot well with the 8.3 grain superdome. It likes the heavier 10.5 grain CP better.
<br>Thanks

115624_Colli.'s Response to 39844_M..'s Review

Written on: 14/07/2003

I agree - this is one absolutely perfect air rifle. It's just a bit on the heavy side but I find that this aspect helps to stabilize the rifle more quickly when sighting-in. I agree that this rifle performs much better with heavier pellets than with lighter pellets. I also agree that domed or pointed pellets seem to perform better. I've never seen any air rifle perform more consistently and more accurately than the RWS Model 54 in .177.