Porsche 944 Coupe 83-88 Reviews

Media Gallery for Porsche 944 Coupe 83-88

Porsche 944 Coupe 83-88
Porsche 944 Coupe 83-88

“944 85b”

Written on: 11/05/2013 by Fredik (1 review written)

Owned the car for 4years its great fun to drive with power and design is toppclass. I was thinking off buying an 911 but i would miss my 944 to much so i keep it. I will probably own a 944 for the rest off my life maybe a 911 to when i have a bigger garage… Read Full Review

“simply a great car”

Written on: 24/04/2012

After Years of waiting to get my 85.5 944 since I first laid eyes on it 1986 and I am really glad I did.. it is a great car to drive, I was fortunate to find a car with 94k miles, the oem blaupunkt worked great [i did have to replace the light bulbs and add contact pads in the bottons] speakers were even just in barely used shape. The only 'problem' was the drivers door mirror.. it had been removed at one time and the wire was left unsecured so it eventually came into the path of the window and… Read Full Review

“have a 944 turbo, 1986 model in guards red. It is a...”

Written on: 15/03/2010

have a 944 turbo, 1986 model in guards red. It is a scary fast car , beautiful aceleration when running correctly, has a beautiful red leather interior. A real head turner and even when not running well is still very fast. It needs lots of attention, electrical, engine and rust are constantly
needing attention. I have uprated the suspension and widened the track and is much faster around corners than standard. Lowered the front as well and is such a beautiful car. Absolute joy to own 1, every1… Read Full Review

“I own a humble 2.5 mark 1 944 Lux, Nothing I have...”

Written on: 25/02/2009 by alec494 (1 review written)

I own a humble 2.5 mark 1 944 Lux, Nothing I have driven has given me the smile that i have when driving. It's not about top speed, 0-60 or track figures. On real roads, this car makes me smile from ear to ear!!!. Theres nothing like out handling £25000 cars in a car that cost me £500, and when I don't win, who cares, it's a 20 year old car. The balance of this car has been noted. I have owned some of the fastest motorcycles u can buy, i'm no car expert, and this little gem gives me the same… Read Full Review

“Bought my Porsche 944 Coupe 83-88 off ebay for 1200...”

Written on: 10/02/2009 by chipgoodwill2 (1 review written)

Bought my Porsche 944 Coupe 83-88 off ebay for 1200 had 100 mile drive to pick it up,the 100 miles back in the porsche was an absolute delight..overtaking with ease on the motorways and cruising effortlessly,i dont understand the statement by some saying the 944 is underpowered,my other car is a 2litre modern car but the power dosnt even scratch the surface of the porsche..i just touch the throttle in the porsche & im gone for dust.it feels so safe & sturdy at speed.the engine is pretty easy to… Read Full Review

Alec494's Response to chipgoodwill2's Review

Written on: 07/03/2009

I have to agree, no: 100 on the fun meter, just make sure the belts are changed.

“I've owned my Porsche 944S for just over a year and...”

Written on: 24/12/2008

I've owned my Porsche 944S for just over a year and love it like my own. It drives great looks great and has never let me down. As for the comments made, some may have slightly a "battered" one! As you should hopefully know the S is not turbocharged or supercharged (P.S the Bentley Blower was supercharged hence why the term is aimed at supercharged engines) but with the bits I have done to mine I would love to show you what it can do on any road or track of your choice… Read Full Review

“Beautiful red 1986 turbo with red leather interior,...”

Written on: 17/12/2008

Beautiful red 1986 turbo with red leather interior, bought new badges and it took a kango hammer to get the rusted on oil filter off for an oil change.
A rewiring of the tail lights, other small jobs, a real enthusiasts car.
Fast, reliable, accelerates unbelievably, WOW… Read Full Review

“Great car to drive. Was my "Welcome home from Iraq...”

Written on: 30/09/2007 by rsvmax (1 review written)

Great car to drive. Was my "Welcome home from Iraq car"! Only had it a few days and I can't stay out of it. Such a pleasure to drive in Hawaii. Purchased for $3000 and with only 120,000 miles. In great shape and sounds very good... VROOOOMMM. Little stiff in the suspension but to be expected in a Porsche. Awesome car!… Read Full Review

“I bought this car for my wife reluctantly, thinking it...”

Written on: 22/09/2007 by war789 (1 review written)

I bought this car for my wife reluctantly, thinking it it will need constant attention, but I've totally fallen in love with it. It's great!… Read Full Review

“I love my 944 it is my second one and I love to drive...”

Written on: 29/08/2006 by Alan Appleby (1 review written)

I love my 944 it is my second one and I love to drive it if I haven't used it for a few days it gives me a buzz. My first one was the earlier series 1 model and this series 2 model is a vast improvement with less rattles and it has a more modern interior that the earlier one. It is a modern day affordable classic that is surprisingly still modern in some ways and I love to drive with the roof panel off.
Highly recommended… Read Full Review

“Every thing about a Porsche 944 Coupe 83-88 is summed...”

Written on: 09/08/2006 by nigel kerr (1 review written)

Every thing about a Porsche 944 Coupe 83-88 is summed up by two words, spot on! However, I do have to admit that it is hard to get in the back, but I love this car! It's great fun and good on fuel… Read Full Review

“The Porsche 944 Coupe is a complete dog for a 3-litre...”

Written on: 28/09/2005 by bailey25t (5 reviews written)

The Porsche 944 Coupe is a complete dog for a 3-litre turbo. Less rear visibility than a World War 2 pillar-box. A cam belt that stretches round the world twice. Which costs about the same, as the amount owed in world debt. A throttle cast in iron. Power steering, ha! It has bigger flat spots the whole of Lincolnshire. Oh yea. Once the blowers get working your that busy straining with the throttle and clutch you hardly notice it. The clutch! Warning, releasing the clutch to quickly may result… Read Full Review

226389_Nexus6's Response to bailey25t's Review

Written on: 21/01/2006

The original reviewer of this article cannot possibly have driven a well maintained Porsche 944 and still written the bile filled article presented here.
It appears that this review may even have been written without ever driving a Porsche. There are glaring errors in the review - 1. Porsche never produced a 3 litre 944 turbo this engine was 2.5 litre. - 2.The term 'blower' is used by any experienced car enthusiast to mean supercharger not turbo. - 3. A rating of 1 for reliability shows that the reviewer has no in depth knowledge of this Porsche model. - 4. To say that the doors are 'escape hatch only' and rear view is negligable leads me to believe that the reviewer may be extremely short and extremely broad. - 5. The clutch is perfectly usable by anyone with enough muscle and experience to handle a real car. - 6. As you may detect from these comment I am incensed by this review and this reviewer should be restricted to a very rusty bicycle for transport as appreciation of anything better is obviously impossible.

Min1300's Response to bailey25t's Review

Written on: 01/05/2008

Ummm, this is an 80s car, designed (although not the engine) in the 70s. Of course a late 90s Volvo is going to give it a hard time - shove a Volvo round a corner at the speed of the '44 and it's bye-bye.
<br/>- Previous owner of Volvo 850 T5.
<br/>- Current and proud owner of Porsche 944 2.5 Lux (yep, the slow one).

Written on: 02/04/2007

To davemoc
<br/>
<br/>As you asked: I drive a 2002 Volvo s60 2.4 turbo. I was originally looking at a 1997 250bhp s70 T5 ex-police. 120k granted. Also had sat nav built into the dash. It was £1500, and with the insurance premium for that model it contained, I feel "the whole package". Plus an endless list of extras. Just not the Porsche badge. I found sports car performance that comes through well built moderately popular saloons is an underdog. ie the Volvo. I can honestly say the Porsche 944 was an option until I drove it and looked into reliability. It didn't feel to me like a sports car. Albeit an 80's sports car.

Written on: 02/04/2007

To mattp
<br/>
<br/>Thanks for your reply and your acknowledgement of my findings. A well written reply. For the record I was rooting some old boxes and found the certificate for the day. The 944 was a 3ltr turbo (not 2.5 as previously ridiculed) 221 bhp. It was at Croft race circuit in Darlington and cost £180 for the day. I enjoyed the day, and I enjoyed the track experience on the whole. I was expecting a lot more from the 944 for the price of the day. In the defence the instructor, weighed in excess of 20 stone. I could use my own car, which is just as quick a car for half the price. I would like a second opinion, but for £180 I'm just not that curious. Happy motoring.

280518_Davemoc's Response to bailey25t's Review

Written on: 03/03/2007

I have a 944 turbo (2.5). The model I own is the 250 BHP and having owned over 100 cars personal in my lifetime, this car is the best overall car to drive. Yes for sure some cars have been better in some areas, but as a package 944 turbo is the a supercar and very underrated.
<br/>I would love to know what car the person who made negative comments drives around in himself and can also think that 944 he drove must have been very tired indeed.

Mattp's Response to bailey25t's Review

Written on: 08/01/2007

I own two Porsche 944 T's, both from 1986, and I appreciate your comments slightly, but give yourself two weeks of ownership to adapt to the heavy controls and you'll be amazed how good the car feels. I just did 160 miles to Brum and back, and I felt completely excited and refreshed on my return. I thoroughly enjoyed the trip. The control is fantastic! As you come off tight slip roads onto the motorway you can keep the car on the edge of grip very easily. Very impressive for a 20 year old car!
<br/>
<br/>There is a throttle cam you can buy for about £20 that makes the pedal lighter and more responsive, and if it's not fast enough, you can fit a bleed valve for another £20 to increase boost pressure from 0.8bar to 1.2bar (the engine and turbo can easily withstand the increase, as it is a Porsche and built for the tough stuff), which will definitely get the back end sideways if you hit maximum boost coming out of a tight corner!!
<br/>
<br/>Not much you can do about the clutch, but make sure your seat is in the correct position so you get good leverage, as it makes a lot of difference!

Written on: 18/03/2006

Well it would seem my review has caused a few raised eye brows. Maybe I was ever so slighty hard on it however I still stand by the fact the car is a dog. My account of the vehicle is a true account from my opinion of the 944 I drove and spent the day with. You can argue the toss as much as you want as to the authenticty of of my review as it obviously winds people up. So heres some more. The accelerator was more like an on and off switch. Hard to balance on corners. In order to reverse the car out of the garage and on to the pit lane without death or serious injury was a 2 man task. As an average motorist and racing enthusiast alike i will confess, I am no mechinical engineer or vehicle expert. Never the less I am educated enough in the automotive world to be familier with the term turbo lag. Don't get me started on it for this particular car. For all of you who have any comments on my review please get in touch I will give you the details of where you can take part in a track day in this vehicle for a £180. Then you can find out how disappointed I was for yourself. Most of the people writing against my review own these cars. Which makes the opinion biased. Driving a sport or super car should feel sporty or super. Driving the 944 didn't. If the 944 is either sports or super car then a turbo charged c reg escort is a hyper car. And i'll leave it at that.

Jimmy 951's Response to bailey25t's Review

Written on: 08/03/2006

To say that the 944 Turbo is cramped and has poor rear visability is just not true on any level (err the whole tailgate is made out of glass. Hello!). With regards to the so called lack of performance and dodgy clutch this could only be due to a poorly maintained car (race tuned or not). The clutch on the Turbo is actually pretty light and only someone who has spent their whole life driving a Ferrari 360 could be dissapointed by the 944 T'S awsome Boooost and mid range power. Finally anyone with any true knowledge of the car and it performance simply just could not make a basic mistake about its true engine capacity of 2.5 litres. The 944 Turbo was a great car in the 80's and still is today. But dont just take my word for it, look around you wont find a bad review, at least not one written buy anyone that knows anything about cars!

Written on: 25/02/2006

Point of fact it was not a well maintained 944 it was a race tuned model. Spend a £180 to drive a 944 around a circuit and you will be as bitter and unimpressed as I. I have a video of my driving of the car with the certificate of my undersatisfying day. Never the less If it helps you sleep i'll send you a copy. No doubt you drive a diesel 330 bmw estate round the M25. The 944 is seriously out classed as an 80's performance car rivalled by many 90's saloon cars. for example: If you put a 944 and a 1997 volvo s70 stats together, I am confident which would triumph. Go Sweden. As for the ethics regarding the term "blowers" In your apparent suprior knowledge of all things Porshe and stomache acids alike, i'm sure you know... A supercharger gains it's power from the cam belt, a turbo from the outlet on the exhaust. Both coincidently producing the same result. BLOWING air into the engine. I have heard the term blower used for turbos yet not superchargers both proffessionaly and in common terminology. As for the 2.5/3 litre thing, yes that is my error. Thanks for pointing that out. If I was to buy an old porshe it would be the 928. Might come with a bit of DECENT power. Then again, being British i'm not a lover of things german. Enjoyed the banter.

“My parents bought me a Porsche 944 Coupe 83 for...”

Written on: 12/08/2005 by Oprah (1 review written)

My parents bought me a Porsche 944 Coupe 83 for graduation and I've fallen in love. Not only the performance, but the sheer beauty and overall condition its in amazes me. This will probably be my favorite car I will have for the rest of my life, and for $3000 it was one heck of a deal. 22 years old, and runs like a champion. I love it!… Read Full Review

Betrayal's Response to 205982_Oprah's Review

Written on: 20/08/2007

I'm really intrested in getting a 944, but being 21 its hard to get insured, what insurance do you use?

“Bought my 1985 Porsche 944 Coupe 83-88 auto off Ebay...”

Written on: 06/05/2005 by davidbp (1 review written)

Bought my 1985 Porsche 944 Coupe 83-88 auto off Ebay for £1300, 80k miles, bargain of the year! Supposidly auto slipping slightly at low speed, but you'd never notice. At high speed very stable. Looks like its 5 years old, not 20! Can't think of any serious faults, just change the oil/ filter using good stuff regulary. Great to drive, but my Merc's easier to get in/out.
Great car, cheap classic insurance too, just need a tiptronic Porsche now!… Read Full Review

“My '87 Porsche 944 Coupe S is a sports car I think I...”

Written on: 21/11/2004 by coolb944 (1 review written)

My '87 Porsche 944 Coupe S is a sports car I think I will always love, and try to keep for as long as possible. I've had it since March 2004. Bought it from the original owner with 102,500 miles on it and a folder of receipts about 4 inches thick. It was kept up to a high standard, and I haven't had any problems with it other then a cracked heater hose which I replaced for $4. This car has a sweet 16V DOHC 2.5 that sings wonderfully and revs happily. It really moves the car well in the mid and… Read Full Review

“Hi, I bought my red Porsche 944 Coupe 83-88 sports car...”

Written on: 29/09/2004 by Porsche (1 review written)

Hi, I bought my red Porsche 944 Coupe 83-88 sports car last week, I love everything about her. Im 23 years old and belive that im the youngest Porsche owner in SA! She is 20 years old but I get people in new BMW M3's & Mercedes AMG admiring her. Id recomend anyone that likes attention and wants to treat themselves without the heavy expense to buy one!… Read Full Review

“I bought my '83 Porsche 944 Coupe, 2.5/8 valve instead...”

Written on: 14/07/2004 by thejukeboxman (1 review written)

I bought my '83 Porsche 944 Coupe, 2.5/8 valve instead of building a kit car, it was the right choice. Even though she's over 21, when I turn the key she never fails to start first time, every time.
Plenty of speed for the u.k.'s gatso infested roads and takes corners faster than I can!
Over-taking is a joy, point and press.
Can be a bit 'thumpy' at town speeds, but on the open road - yahoo!
Gets respect from other drivers and even drivers of new porsches give you recognition… Read Full Review

“I bought a 944 as a birthday present for myself 3...”

Written on: 24/06/2004 by gortlosk67 (1 review written)

I bought a 944 as a birthday present for myself 3 months ago. I love it. It looks fantastic due to the wonderful, original paintwork and complete lack of any rust. How many 21 year old cars can you say that about. It's great fun on the open road and I get envious looks everywhere I take it. In addition It has to be the best looked after and best built car I have ever owned. It was excellent value for money and has relatively low running costs due to the availability of parts, general… Read Full Review

“This car is truly Porsche's best-kept secret. The...”

Written on: 29/04/2004 by Dilberto (1 review written)

This car is truly Porsche's best-kept secret. The superlatives are numerous: large displacement four; light, all-alloy engine; amazing aerodynamics; gravity-cheating roadholding; high performance to value quotient; excellent resale value; supercar status under $20,000. My son's first car will be my Porsche… Read Full Review

“The Porsche 944 Coupe 83-88 is the best handling...”

Written on: 26/01/2004 by 1cool944rider (1 review written)

The Porsche 944 Coupe 83-88 is the best handling vehicle I've ever driven, as the son of an owner of a vehicle dealership, I've had a better "cross sample" than average to base that opinion on. The body style still looks exotic many years later and the build quality is excellent and holds up to scrutiny, even when compared to newer techniques. The brakes are superb and perform way better than the profit driven rubbish found on production vehicles of 2004. Gas mileage is awesome considering the… Read Full Review