Renault Clio 1.8 16V Reviews

Renault Clio 1.8 16V - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Renault Clio 1.8 16V

Renault Clio 1.8 16V
Renault Clio 1.8 16V

“Renault Clio 1.8 16V are awsome, fast, and reliable...”

Written on: 09/07/2009

Renault Clio 1.8 16V are awsome, fast, and reliable cars.....

if its not fast enough for you, theres always the option of dropping a 172 engine straight in to it… Read Full Review

“The Renault Clio 1.8 16V is a quick car, cheap to run...”

Written on: 13/04/2009

The Renault Clio 1.8 16V is a quick car, cheap to run and to insure… Read Full Review

“Bought my Renault Clio 8 months ago just for a bit of...”

Written on: 08/09/2008

Bought my Renault Clio 8 months ago just for a bit of fun having driven a diesel peugeot for a year. What a motor! its had a bit of work done to it cams, manifold, chip, flywheel, induction kit, lowered, big brakes and strut brace. Will see off modern 'hot hatches' no probs even some serious stuff just goes until it pops the limiter @ 140. Loads of fun in the bends put the power down and it drags itself round any bend let of and it drifts round (loads of fun) can be a bit off a handful in the… Read Full Review

“Good little cars and well worth investing in. Smooth...”

Written on: 24/04/2008

Good little cars and well worth investing in. Smooth ride, firm handling and sporty suspension setup and loads of power with bags of torque, fun, nippy little French car with the potential for much more!… Read Full Review

“I have a 1995 1.8 16valve for last 8years...full devil...”

Written on: 17/04/2008 by VALVERNUT (1 review written)

I have a 1995 1.8 16valve for last 8years...full devil exhaust inc cat pipe,k+n 57i,ported+polished head. fully rebuilt by tti motorsport....rally mechanics. lowered to max. uprated suspension,tarox g88discs front,greenstuff pads all round,strut braces,sparco steerwheel. car now goes upto limiter in 5gear....146mph on clock when looked last… Read Full Review

“Great cars but if your to own one its best to know a...”

Written on: 06/04/2008 by Andyvalver16 (1 review written)

Great cars but if your to own one its best to know a bit about cars first and be able to fix things yourself. Things on the clio can be costly to repair in the engine department because there is no room to do anything which makes labour costs shoot up.
All in all, its one of the best cars ive had and the most fun. Put a smile on my face everytime I drove it. The good points of driving it outweighed the bad bits for me… Read Full Review

“Overall the Renault Clio has provided me hours of fun...”

Written on: 01/08/2007 by handsworthwoodman (1 review written)

Overall the Renault Clio has provided me hours of fun filled driving, and it never fails to impress. I've spent £1000s keeping it at it's peak and I wouldn't change a thing.

Unfortunately, due to an expanding family, it's time to let me precious pocket rocket go on to someone else, who hopefully will cherish it as did I… Read Full Review

“Generally, the car isn't the most reliable, but if...”

Written on: 15/10/2006 by 16vavler (1 review written)

Generally, the car isn't the most reliable, but if maintained properly it will just keep going. Although reading these kind of reviews may put people off, but once you jump into the lovely bucket style drivers seat and drive the Renault Clio, the smile that you can't wipe off your face is priceless. I love driving this car. I've spent 1000's of pounds servicing and keeping it on the road, and I would not change a thing. It's been quoted as a Citroen Saxo VTS, and will leave all hot hatches of… Read Full Review

“With induction kit from Pipercross straight through...”

Written on: 26/05/2006 by lee webster (1 review written)

With induction kit from Pipercross straight through exhaust my Renault Clio 1.8 16v is capable of speeds of 145mph proven. A good car for money and fast if you don't get a dogger that's been thrashed all it's life… Read Full Review

“I baught my 1994 Renault Clio 1.8 16v in October with...”

Written on: 22/01/2006 by jim smith (1 review written)

I baught my 1994 Renault Clio 1.8 16v in October with a siezed engine for £400. It is metallic silver, superchipped and came with lowering springs on the front. I bought another engine for £100 with 53k on the clock to replace the busted engine.
Luckily a friend of my dad used to work for Citroen so he agreed to do the job. the guy I bought it off assured me the siezed engine was the only problem with the car, and as I found out over the next month and a half this was far from the truth!

287653_Ali G 29's Response to 226504_jim smith's Review

Written on: 02/05/2007

I agree mine came with lots of history and bills but still costing me lots but hey the fun makes up for it I'm currently running 160 bhp and it leaves most hot hatches in its wake its all worth it in the end trust me.

“I bought my 1992 K Renault Clio 16v a few months ago...”

Written on: 01/01/2006 by nottsclio16v (1 review written)

I bought my 1992 K Renault Clio 16v a few months ago having owned one previously. They are great cars they handle like go carts and will show up any other car in same sort of engine group.
If you're thinking of buying one make sure you buy a good one as they are known for going though gearboxes. When you go to look at one make sure you can select every gear when not started then try it. With the car started it should be smooth and easy to select every gear, also make sure the clutch isn't on… Read Full Review

“This concerns a Williams Renault Clio. Very similar to...”

Written on: 26/11/2005 by MrBojangles (1 review written)

This concerns a Williams Renault Clio. Very similar to 16v. Great car. Unfortunately it has two problems. 1: It's very difficult to select any gear when the car is stationary. Only half the time though, the other half it's okay. When being driven it's fine.
2: It has a very unsettled ride, especially under moderate acceleration at about 45mph.

I'm sure a new clutch will solve the 1st problem.
Can anyone advise on the second pls?

My review ratings are based on 2 days ownership only… Read Full Review

“I bought my Renault Clio 1.8 16v 6 months ago. I...”

Written on: 16/10/2005 by kift (1 review written)

I bought my Renault Clio 1.8 16v 6 months ago. I haven't had any major problems YET! It has been super-chipped, had a boost valve, ECU re-map, green induction kit, and de-cat, and it is running at 173bhp.

They are a good car for the money, and see off a lot of cars old, and even new. I didn't mind the rust as my brother sprayed it for me for nothing. I love it, but like every car when you get it you want to get a faster one again. I would recommend this car to anyone… Read Full Review

“I bought a Renault Clio 1.8 16V in 2003, I love it,...”

Written on: 21/06/2005 by tracymarie (1 review written)

I bought a Renault Clio 1.8 16V in 2003, I love it, although 9 months ago had £1600 worth of work done on it including new power steering, brakes and pads...now the clutch has gone! Did I pick a baddy or are they all expensive to fix and frequently have probelms?… Read Full Review

Gym Boy's Response to tracymarie's Review

Written on: 05/07/2005

It doesn't matter what make of car you buy you can always get a baddie. That said things will need replacing on cars when they approach and get beyond 10 years old anyway. So if the rest of the car is sound and your happy with it get the clutch done, shop arround though garage prices vary massively. Alternatively I'm always happy to check under the hood of girl racers to make sure they don't get ripped off by garages!

223181_Nottsclio16V's Response to tracymarie's Review

Written on: 01/01/2006

Its hard to pick a good one although all clio 16v are known for going through clutches, also alot of gearboxes go on them most common 3rd and 5th gear, and all of them are very expensive to work on due to the lack of space under the bonnet. My gearbox and clutch went on mine its about £500+ for a new clutch to be fitted and you should only let someone who has worked on these types of car to fit a new clutch!!!!!!!

Tracymarie's Response to tracymarie's Review

Written on: 29/09/2005

Well I had my clutch done and now....its failed the MOT on brakes and needs welding at sills....costing me over £400 to fix!! Costs alot to look cool!

Jony3Uk's Response to tracymarie's Review

Written on: 14/09/2005

HI ive got a renault clio 1.8 16v and ive had it about a year and nothing has gone wrong with it till now, im not exactly sure what it is, could be that it needs a new clutch? clutch cable? driveshaft & cv joint im not sure, anyone help me decifer what the problem is, thanks very much, jon

Gym Boy's Response to tracymarie's Review

Written on: 06/07/2005

...You can't really put a time on clutches, depends on how well they were fitted, whether it is a pattern part, whether it was brand new and of course how much it has been 'ragged' since. £290 is definitely a good price for fitting. Just check that the clutch going in is brand new, who manufactures it and what guarantees you get. Glad to hear you'll be back to your girl racer status soon. Maybe could get a photo of you in your newly Reinstated car!

Tracymarie's Response to tracymarie's Review

Written on: 05/07/2005

my usual garage quoted me £320 just for labour and i shopped around and found one that will do it for £290 all in...being fixed this week, i'll be back to my usual racer girl self. i looked through the service history and found it had a new clutch in 99.....should it have died already??

“I picked up a Renault Clio 1.8 16V in December, the...”

Written on: 12/05/2005 by james16v (1 review written)

I picked up a Renault Clio 1.8 16V in December, the car drives great. However it is not as quick as I was expecting especially in the low revs. The problem was getting it through an MOT... everything was fine except the emissions they were playing up and it cost £300 for a lambda sensor and 150 for the down pipe... apart from that it is a great car and stands out from all the saxos, pugs and corsas a treat.... Sticking an induction kit and decat pipe with a full stainless makes a HUGE… Read Full Review

“I had a j reg Renault Clio 1.8 16V for around 3...”

Written on: 12/05/2005 by spliff1star (18 reviews written)

I had a j reg Renault Clio 1.8 16V for around 3 months. It is/was a fast little car and could see off a few newer cars in the market. Complete diferent car to a nova gsi or corsa gsi. It has 137bhp the clio williams has 150bhp from its 2.0 16v but there is a big diference between both these cars. I recomend the clio williams as they are usualy better looked after, faster, rarer and hold there value more. Clio 16v's have come down a bit in price now and you can get the phase 2 16vs from £1500… Read Full Review

“I've just bought an L plate Renault Clio 1.8 16V....”

Written on: 04/04/2005 by ryda81 (2 reviews written)

I've just bought an L plate Renault Clio 1.8 16V. Performance is much better than expected, I have previously owned a Megane coupe 2.0 16v and wasn't expecting the Clio to be so much quicker. The engine pulls well through the whole rev range. Gear box has to be worked quite hard to get the most out of the engine.
The interiors nice although if you're a bit of the larger side then its advisable to buy some wider seats, I'm 6'3" and 16 st and the seats do hug you very well to say the least when… Read Full Review

Klappy2222's Response to ryda81's Review

Written on: 22/04/2005

How's the head room in the car? I wanted to get one of these but people kept on saying if your 6 foot or taller its a bit rubbish... Is it ok for you??

Speedy84's Response to ryda81's Review

Written on: 05/05/2005

I'm about to purchase a J reg valver, thing is its done 120k miles, it has got a brand new gear box and clutch though, anybody know if the valvers are any good with high miles. I also like to thrash it a bit, what are these things like on juice. If any body can help with these it'll be great.Cheers

Ryda81's Response to ryda81's Review

Written on: 26/04/2005

I've had no problems at all with the head room I've got a good inch or 2 to play with I suppose it just depends on your build......your friends must have long body's !!!

“This Renault Clio 1.8 16V car is a lot faster than...”

Written on: 02/11/2004 by jimbo22 (1 review written)

This Renault Clio 1.8 16V car is a lot faster than expected, beating a lot more expensive machinery including BMW 325i and keeping up with my friends renault clio 172. The oil pump went recently followed by the bottom end, expensive to fix but worth it, with a few minor engine modifications you can make this car a lot faster. The handling of this car is very good although in the wet the backend will slip out. Overall this car is a very good very fast car… Read Full Review

“I have had my Renault Clio 1.8 16V one year and I am...”

Written on: 21/09/2004 by Barda (1 review written)

I have had my Renault Clio 1.8 16V one year and I am very satisfied with it. So far it hasn't broken down once! The gearbox is very soft. My friend has a Peugeot 406 3.0 V6 and he sad that the clio gearbox is much better than his and his car is just 3 years old...I can't say anything bad about my clio not because it is mine, but because it is reliable. The engine has worked excellently for more than 100000 kilometers. I would recommend this car to anyone who likes fast and reliable cars. Enjoy… Read Full Review

“I got my Clio 1.8 16v in Oct just after my Punto GT...”

Written on: 28/06/2004 by RyanGT (2 reviews written)

I got my Clio 1.8 16v in Oct just after my Punto GT got stacked into by an old man on a roundabout. I'm not too bothered about that now beacuse the Punto is poo compared to the Clio. It is 1996 N Reg with only 47,000 miles on the clock. I have performance plugs and leads, piperx induction kit and a powerflow exhaust system and it sounds 100% amazing. Standard this car has 137bhp, 0-60mph in 7.7secs (stats from Renault themselves). Not sure what mine is now after the mods would like to find out… Read Full Review

Jenwhite's Response to RyanGT's Review

Written on: 15/07/2004

iv got clio16v had it while now its t reg and its mt baby drives like a dream real great pulling away

Ryangt's Response to RyanGT's Review

Written on: 16/07/2004

Yeah, it is a great little car. Have you done anything to yours? got any pics? send them over if you have. ryan_endacott@hotmail.com.