A Ferry Reviews - www.aferry.co.uk

• Customer service

• Cleanliness

• Quality of food /drink available

Summary

A Ferry offers ferry services all over Europe and the UK

Read and write reviews on A Ferry here at Review Centre

A Ferry - www.aferry.co.uk - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for A Ferry - www.aferry.co.uk

A Ferry - www.aferry.co.uk

“Disgusted and extremely worried”

Written on: 18/08/2014 by nylon (1 review written)

Having clearly entered my outward journey from Newhaven my booking ended up the wrong way round. Of course AFerry said this was my error, but I am sure it was not. I amended the booking but was charged £129 to do it. I have since found this same complaint from several other people on review sites who all were sure they had put in and checked the right details. Although I have now amended and paid dearly for it I am now left feeling very very worried about whether there will be any valid… Read Full Review

Aferry's Response to nylon's Review

Dear Nylon,

Thanks for your comments on this. Please accept our apologies regarding your issue. We want our customers to find our site easy and straightforward to use and this obviously wasn't the case for your booking. We're sorry about that.

We certainly take all complaints very seriously and always look into each one carefully. However, we've not been able to replicate your error on this occasion. If we do a search for Newhaven to Dieppe then that is the route that is presented.

We can assure you that our system did not make an error.

Nevertheless, we would love to hear any recommendations you might have to make the website easier to use. We're always trying to improve. Do you think, for instance, typing in your destination port would be easier than typing in your outward route. We'd love to get your feedback.

Please accept our apologies once again that your booking experience didn't meet your expectations. We do sincerely hope that you'll consider booking with us again.

“SLOW SLOW SLOW”

Written on: 08/07/2014 by Weberbd290 (1 review written)

Used ferry to cross from Portsmouth to Caen, It was slow and seats are very uncomfortable, Cost twice as much as Train Service with car, Food very canteen and not of good quality, Very disappointed will not use them again… Read Full Review

Hi,

Thank you for booking with AFerry. We're very sorry to hear that your journey was not to your satisfaction. However, you should be aware that AFerry does not operate ferries. We only let people compare routes and companies to find the best route and fare for them.

It seems this review could be for Brittany Ferries. I'd suggest that you may want to write a review for this company on Reviewcentre or you can also leave a review on AFerry in our reviews section. I'm sure other customers will benefit from learning about your experience.

Thanks once again for booking with us.

Dacco's Comment

Written on: 15/08/2014

Do not wish to make further comments
all l said stands it was not a good experience and we will. Not travel again on
any ferries .

“apalling service”

Written on: 09/06/2014 by JulesTnotB (1 review written)

The booking was input one way and confirmed the wrong way around. Despite changing this ourselves, immediately we were charged £40. No-one in the office so email and phone the next day to be spoken to like a child by an uninterested, so called customer service advisor - no empathy what so-ever. I would not recommend this, in fact will go out of my way to do the opposite… Read Full Review

Aferry's Response to JulesTnotB's Review

Dear JulesTnotB,

Thank you for booking with AFerry. Please accept our sincerest apologies that your experience didn't meet your expectations on this occasion.

We do have a dedicated UK based call centre and we're sorry you had difficulty getting through when you wanted. We're glad you did get through the next day however.

And of course we are deeply sorry that you feel that we weren't understanding of your booking mistake. We can certainly sympathise with you. We realise that mistakes do happen. Very often we waive our fees as a gesture of goodwill in these situations and only charge any difference in price between your booking and the new booking we have to make.

We do sincerely hope that you'll consider using our service again, despite this one bad experience.

Nylon's reply to Aferry's Comment

Written on: 18/08/2014

Your site has done the same to me also.!
if this keeps happening, and from what I have now read from others it does keep happening, shouldn't you stop blaming human error for a minute and consider the idea that it might actually be your system?
I called my husband over and asked him to check I had entered correct details before proceeding which he did.
Why on earth would people enter the wrong outward journey?
I tried to ring immediately and could not get through. You charged me an extra £129.
A Horrible experience! I am now extremely worried about whether our tickets will be valid e.t.c. and if there will be any more nasty financial surprises.

Nylon's Response to JulesTnotB's Review

Written on: 18/08/2014

This has just happened to me also, except we were charged £129 for immediate change. I am 100% sure I put the outward/return journey in correctly. I'm completely disgusted.
I wish I had read reviews of AFerry before using them, as this seems to be a common occurrence!
How silly we all must be to put in the wrong outward journey!! Pull the other one AFerry it's got bells on.

Aferry's reply to Nylon's Comment

Dear Nylon,

We can assure you that our system did not make an error. We can also assure you that this error is not common at all.

The AFerry team

“Cheaper than booking with the ferry company direct”

Written on: 31/03/2014 by sdCox1953 (1 review written)

Amazingly, Aferry offer prices which are below those advertised on the respective ferry-company sites. I have just booked a one-way ticket from Calais to Dover for the evening of 21st April. It was more than 20% cheaper to book with Aferry than with P&O. Go figure… Read Full Review

“I accidentally entered the route the wrong way round...”

Written on: 02/12/2013

I accidentally entered the route the wrong way round (their website is confusing), immediately contacted them and they said no problem they would change it. Days passed and we didn't hear anything. Finally they said the ticket was non changeable and we'd have to buy a new ticket (hundreds of pounds). We contacted the actual ferry company directly and they let us change the ticket for a nominal fee. AFerry were the WORST, RUDEST most unhelpful company I have ever had the misfortune to deal with… Read Full Review

Dear Guest,

We're obviously sorry that you found our website confusing. We try to make it as clear as possible for everyone. We can certainly appreciate though that mistakes are made sometimes and sympathise with those people that do make errors.

Very often, in fact, we waive our fees in these scenarios as a gesture of goodwill.

As this is an anonymous review and as we cannot see your booking reference it is difficult to comment on your case. However, it seems in this case that the ferry company were able to offer you a better deal on your amendment than we could. This is a bit of a strange situation as we see no reason why this should be the case. I guess you were lucky with the representative from the ferry company! :)

We certainly would also never tell a customer to not try to change their ticket directly with the company. We are simply a comparison booking website after all. We always try to help wherever we can but here the company could help more.

You should also be aware that we certainly don't seek to profit from our customer's misfortunes. If you want to provide your booking reference here, then perhaps we could give a more complete explanation.

Thanks for booking with AFerry. We do sincerely hope that you'll consider using our service again, despite this one experience due to your booking error.

“Customer Service?”

Written on: 23/10/2013

Bought tickets Rome/Palermo from AFerry in May. They provided what they said were "your tickets". When we finally found the ferry, it turned out that they were vouchers to obtain tickets from the ferry operator. Took an hour of rushing around ferry terminal to get sorted. Complained about this and got a couple of emails saying how concerned they were with customer satisfaction. Joke! Time went by, as as appears to be their idea of customer service, if they delay dealing with your complaint long… Read Full Review

Dear Guest,

Thank you for booking with AFerry. We're very sorry that your travel experience didn't go as smoothly as you would have liked and you had to spend an hour in the port collecting your tickets. We can certainly appreciate that this may not have been a pleasant experience for you as you didn't realise that your tickets were not e-tickets. Please accept our sincerest apologies.

For your information, in case you make a similar journey, you should know that in countries like Italy and Greece almost all tickets are not e-tickets and need to be exchanged, normally at the port, or nearby.

It also does sound like the port design could be improved to make the collection of tickets a lot easier. We'd very much appreciate it if you could write a review of the ferry company in our reviews section. This kind of information would be of great benefit to other travellers.

Thanks once again for booking with AFerry. We do sincerely hope that this one poor travel experience will put you off using our service again.

I

Written on: 15/08/2014

Sorry the last paragraph should read:

Thanks once again for booking with AFerry. We do sincerely hope that this one poor travel experience won't put you off using our service again.

“Poor Costumer Services”

Written on: 20/05/2013 by Noumidia (1 review written)

Booked a return ticket Dover-Calais on a Friday night, I immediately realized that I had done it the wrong way round. I phoned next day,explained the error and I wanted to amend the ticket, I was told that there is a charge £25 for amending a ticket of £45. I had a new quote £97 for identical journey which is the same quote I got from the their website.I asked the customer services to deduct the £20 from the original £97 as I believed I had £20 left from £45 after deducting the… Read Full Review

Aferry's Response to Noumidia's Review

Hi,

Please accept our apologies that your booking didn't go to plan. We try to make our site as easy and straightforward to use as possible. We obviously didn't meet your expectations on this occasion and we're sorry about that.

We'd like to resolve this issue to your complete satisfaction as we'd hate to lose such a long-standing customer.

However, as this is an anonymous review we don't have your details. So we'd love it if you could call or email our customer services department mentioning this review. You can find our contact details on the email we sent you with your booking.

Please accept our apologies once again. We look forward to hearing from you.

Aferry's reply to Aferry's Comment

Written on: 05/09/2014

You can also find our contact details linked to from every page of our site.

We look forward to hearing from you.

“Expensive for amendments”

Written on: 03/05/2013

Booked a return ticket Liverpool to Isle of Man, I immediately realized that I had done it the wrong way round. E mailed them immediately, no response. Phoned next day be charged £25 from aferry and £20 from the ferry company, bear in mind this was on a £105 ticket. What a rip off, will not use them again as ticket was the same price on the ferries own website. I have since been sent a corrective email for the new booking and they have not changed the destinations!!!!! … Read Full Review

Dear Guest,

Thank you for booking with AFerry. Please accept our apologies that your booking experience didn't meet your expectations on this occasion.

We realise that mistakes do happen and since you made this booking we now very often waive our own fees when making amendments for customers.

We very often do this as a gesture of goodwill when customers report their mistake quickly. If it's weeks or months later that we are asked, we can see that it probably wasn't a mistake but an amendment is needed, and unfortunately, there are costs in running a dedicated UK based call centre.

However, it was complaints such yours that led us to make this change.

We hope that this one experience won't put you off using our service again. We're always listening to our customers and we do hope that the change we have made will convince you to use us again.

The AFerry team

“No Service, No Provision for Human or Machine Error”

Written on: 29/03/2013 by legalpenman (1 review written)

Attempted to book online 10 weeks in advance for a 1410 sailing from Holyhead. As soon as I received notice of booking I noticed I was booked for departure 12 hours earlier than intended--at 0240 AM--and I immediately--within the half-hour--emailed AFerry to ask them to correct the error, which I believe was theirs. Their response, over several exchanges of email, was polite but unyielding: they first said any change would cost me an additional 25GBP (and warned that prices could rise… Read Full Review

Aferry's Response to legalpenman's Review

Dear legalpenman,

We very often do this as a gesture of goodwill when customers report their mistake quickly. However, if we are asked to make a change weeks or months later, we can see that it probably wasn't a mistake that was made but an amendment is needed, and unfortunately, there are costs in running a dedicated UK based call centre.

However, it was reviews such yours that led us to make this change. We do realise that mistakes happen and we don't want to be seen to be benefiting from that. Nobody is perfect.

We hope that this one experience won't put you off using our service again. We're always listening to our customers and we do hope that the change we have made will convince you to use AFerry again.

“Never again”

Written on: 13/03/2013 by Yana1970 (1 review written)

I booked my ferry journey late evening but unfortunately realised when printing it in the morning it was booked from France first rather than uk . I contacted them first thing in the morning to amend but was asked to pay an extra 25 pound although the journey only cost 48 pound in the first place . Customer service were little helpful but finally agreed for me to pay an extra 15 pound . This is still scandalous and complete rip off for an easy mistake to make which was rectified only ten hours… Read Full Review

Aferry's Response to Yana1970's Review

Dear Yana1970,

“AVOID. AVOID. AVOID.”

Written on: 03/12/2012

Rip-off merchants. £45 to amend a booking on a Irish ferry which was only half full. They are among the worst faces of what is wrong with modern day Britain. Do yourself a favour - don't part with your hard earned money to this shoddy Company… Read Full Review

Dear Guest,

Regarding your amendment fee, if there is a charge from the ferry company or a difference in fare when making an amendment, we do have to pass this on to the customer. In your case, we charged you £25 to make the change for you. The rest is from the ferry company or possibly a result of there being a difference in fare between your original booking and the changed booking you needed.

However, since you made this booking we have made change and we now very often waive our own fees when making amendments for customers.

We often do this as a gesture of goodwill when customers report their mistake quickly. However, if we are asked to make a change weeks or months later, we can see that it probably wasn't a mistake that was made but an amendment is needed, and unfortunately, there are costs in running a dedicated UK based call centre.

“why use middle man”

Written on: 25/08/2012

If you cant be bothered then this maybe the way to book your ferry tkts but in fact its just as easy to contact the ferries themselves . I had to change the day of return from France and was hit with £35 from the ferry comp and then a further £25 from Aferry ! never again £60 for 1 way .I have always used them , now I wonder why ? Needless to say no sympathy for our situ either in fact the girl at AFerry laughed when i said thats a scandalous rip off… Read Full Review

“Avoid AFerry”

Written on: 23/08/2012

Avoid AFerry!! Had booked the ferry from Napoli to Palermo and a way back one month before the trip via Eferry the. Got the confirmation from AFerry by e-mail with relevant booking numbers. I live in Switzerland and drive to Napoli by car. When I appeared at the port of departure (Napoli) I was told by Tirrenia that my booking is not valid and I spent an hour of my time and uncountable amount of nerve fibers, trying to convince the staff of Tirrenia company that my booking was valid. I… Read Full Review

Dear Guest,

Thank you for booking with AFerry. We're sorry to hear that your travel experience didn't go as smoothly as you would have liked.

We can assure you that the situation you describe is a one in a million case. If it wasn't we'd have many more negative reviews. If you look at Trustpilot where we ask our customers to leave reviews for us, you'll see that most people actually give us 4 or 5 stars.

Without knowing your booking reference, it is difficult to comment in detail. However, we work very closely with Tirrenia and they view us as an integral part of their business so we can assure you that there was never any risk of you missing your boat. We would never let that happen to any of our customers.

We're glad that you managed to sail in the end and you got the money back that you spent.

Thanks once again for booking with AFerry. We sincerely hope that this one experience won't put you off using AFerry again.

The AFerry team

“Good website, terrible customer service”

Written on: 29/07/2012

I used this website a few times to book my ferry tickets. Last time I had to call the customer service department for help as the ferry had been delayed for over 5 hours and I wanted some advice. The customer service assistant who answered the phone was rude and even called me a liar, great when you are already a little stressed! I wrote to them and told me the assistant did everything possible to help and I didn't get an apology. So basically if you don't need any help oer the phone, then the… Read Full Review

Robinhood447822's Comment

Written on: 21/08/2013

Funny how this and the next six five star glowing reviews are all written on the same day........

“Very pleased with this website”

Written on: 28/07/2012 by Mark1943 (1 review written)

This has been my first time booking online and I will definitely be using these guys again. With old age and the lack of technology skills, this website is so easy to use, even I can use it! I received an e-mail straight away after payment , confirming everything has gone through fine which really reassured me. I gave their call centre a quick call to double check what the port address was, not only they answered straight away, their manners were excellent and a delight to speak to!… Read Full Review

“Simple,great easy website to use”

Written on: 23/07/2012

I travel a lot by ferry and have usually booked directly with the operator in the past until I discovered this website! AFerry.co.uk will find me the cheapest price and give me a list of great deals at any time of the year, low or high season! This website is also available in loads of other languages, which helps a lot as half my family are Spanish and French. We can all use this website with confidence at any time! Great work AFerry!… Read Full Review

“Excellent Price Comparison”

Written on: 23/07/2012

I think this website is great for price comparison between all ferry companies. With all the competition out there, this site has really raised the bar. I have stopped bothering scanning from site to site, AFerry.co.uk always has the best site and I always feel safe booking through them. Nothing I dislike more than missing out on a great bargain! Keep up the great work AFerry!… Read Full Review

“Great Website!”

Written on: 23/07/2012 by Millo (2 reviews written)

I recently booked through AFerry.co.uk and I was very pleased! I was presented with alternative routes very close to my destination and the best price for each. The website gave me some really cheap prices for various sailings which I was very happy with! I paid roughly £25 for a return journey to France for my family and myself. Easy booking system and received confirmation instantly: I will definitely be using again!… Read Full Review

“Very friendly customer service”

Written on: 23/07/2012

I booked a summer holiday for the kids school holidays, but being a mother with too many things on her mind I forgot I had a wedding to go to. I had to amend my booking right on peak season and I was so pleasantly surprised and relieved of how understanding they were and how fast and clear the process was. I was running low on credit and they even offered to call me back (whilst abroad!) I spoke to 3 advisors throughout the week, and I have to admit their customer services are outstanding!… Read Full Review

“great service and so easy to book !!”

Written on: 23/07/2012 by ManosPapas (1 review written)

Great ferry web site with lots of info and easy to book. Used them 3 times, was more than happy with the result. Was quite easy to book for months ahead and no need to wait for the post to get your tickets (Greek islands), highly recommended !… Read Full Review