Sykes Cottages Reviews - www.sykescottages.co.uk

Sykes Cottages www.sykescottages.co.uk - Ask a question now

“Tried to charge double rent”

Written on: 16/10/2014 by CayleeKeegan (1 review written)

We have been trying to book a holiday house in the UK with Sykes from Australia. Our time is limited and dates fixed. The property we wanted was not available for the Fri-Sat of the week we wanted but available from the Monday. which was fine for us. So we requested 7 days Monday to Monday. The weekly price for this house is 1717. This is what they tried to charge us for 7 days and their reason "The price for Monday 22nd to Monday 29th June is: Rent: £3335.00 Booking fee: £35.00 Total cost… Read Full Review

Written on: 14/11/2014

How much did you pay? You said they tried to charge double

“yr efial, harlech north wales”

Written on: 15/10/2014 by renatemaree (1 review written)

i stayed here with my family for a week in August. the house is lovely and well equipped and quite quirky. there are beautiful views of snowdonia and the beach from the back bedroom . We sat out in the evening and watched the sun setting in the distance. Beautiful. we found it was an ideal for a holiday, with plenty of easy walking only a short drive away, the beach was ideal for an evening stroll and my husband was happy because he manged to play two rounds of golf at St. david's golf club. We… Read Full Review

“SYKES COTTAGES SHOULD BE CLOSED DOWN”

Written on: 25/09/2014 by FlackR (1 review written)

We've stayed in two of their properties. The first one was dirty and in a dangerous condition - water leaking from a bath onto electrics, the ceiling under the bath actually sagging. We reported the problems and then went back the following year as it was large enough for our family and in a good location. Nothing fixed - in fact worse - an upstairs window frame was falling out and the highchair collapsed on a 1 year old baby. We reported back and all I got was a response saying they were… Read Full Review

“Don't want to know”

Written on: 18/09/2014 by Melaniem354 (1 review written)

Without going into any details, there were so many problems with the cottage we stayed in, though this isn't the basis of my review. My issue with Sykes Cottages is that when it comes to complaining they refer you directly to the cottage owner, stating that Sykes only act as an agent and will not get involved in resolving any issues. As all the cottage owner has to lose is you never retuning, they don't care and therefore don't do anything. If the onus was on Sykes however then they would… Read Full Review

Written on: 14/11/2014

It works both ways. As an owner, the Agency does nothing, no backing what so ever from them, even although they sell insurance to the clients. When your lovely property gets destroyed, the cottage goes from a 4 star to almost being vandalised,this is after only 6 bookings at one week each.
The Agent wants big money when the owner tells them to take it off the booking list. They don't care if the property now is NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE
The are still willing to get the money in and my god, it's the lions share, believe me. - COTTAGES 4You are not decent people , not fair, not honest , couldn't care about the owners or the holiday clients

“shocking holiday accommodation”

Written on: 31/08/2014

Booked a week in cornwall and what a disappointment. Nothing like the description or pictures on sykes website, do they never check these properties? It was dirty,damp,ugly outside,piles of rubbish and old electrical items piled up outside house. Very overpriced and poor quality at half the price. Sykes claim to be very concerned and pursuing the owner but over a week after our return and despite numerous phone calls still no joy. Very very unhappy… Read Full Review

“Look out for extortionate charges”

Written on: 30/08/2014 by Morrisonth277 (1 review written)

Have not been on our holiday yet but I am furious at being charged £7.50 x 2 for paying by credit card. I can only say that because of this I will not book another holiday with them. I have never heard of a company charge for using a CC. This is a bad practice, please get rid of it. Going by other reviews their customer service is appalling also, I just hope I do not need to get in touch with them if things go wrong!!!… Read Full Review

Smitherz_Ollerz123's Comment

Written on: 14/10/2014

All holiday companies I have booked with, both abroad and in the UK have a credit card charge - lowcostholidays charge 2.5% per payment which when you are paying for a £1,500 holiday, can work out a far bit more.

“Customer service questionnaire reply”

Written on: 09/08/2014 by Welshmountaingoat (1 review written)

We stayed at a railway cottage in North Wales in April 2014. The break was quite pleasant but all the pleasantries of the time were broken by- A random fire alarm, A very steep incline to the cottage, covered up to 6 times a day, Could not find a pub or shop within 1 mile, All the recycling bins were overfilled with the trash from previous occupants, I could recount what they ate or drank, down to wine type, And finally we had several visitations from our little furry friends, who had a… Read Full Review

Sykescottages's Response to Welshmountaingoat's Review

Written on: 15/08/2014

Dear Customer,

Thank you for getting in touch with Sykes Cottages and for providing us with feedback from your recent holiday. We are very sorry to hear that on this occasion, the cottage did not live up to your expectations, especially as other customers’ recent feedback for the property has been positive.

We take feedback from our customers very seriously and whenever possible, we use this feedback to help improve our procedures and the services we offer. We do our upmost to ensure that our cottages are kept to a high standard and match the descriptions provided on our website, and we would like to sincerely apologise if you feel that this hasn’t been the case with this particular cottage.

Please be assured that we have passed on your concerns to the owner of the cottage so that any issues can be rectified for future visitors.

Kind regards,
Sykes Cottages

“Lovely cottage but terrible service from Sykes”

Written on: 25/07/2014 by veLockhart376 (1 review written)

I found a holiday let through Sykes Cottages and showed interest on the website. They immediately called me back and were super helpful. Until I paid. Then I couldn't get them to call me or answer my calls. They misled me on a number of occasions and sent confusing contradictory emails. When I finally spoke to a person about this she was stroppy, condescending and unhelpful. The cottage I found was lovely but was also available through other letting agencies. If you want pleasant and helpful… Read Full Review

“Be Careful BAD company”

Written on: 15/05/2014 by ksa9022 (2 reviews written)

Hi All I rented a cottage through Sykes last Easter holiday 2014 , it was horrible experience to me and my family . When I checked in , I found the cottage without heating in two bedrooms , we slept in the cold weather in Lake District area. I contacted Sykes Cottages to resolve this issue , but unfortunately they referred me to the land lord who was trying to waste my time until my holiday ended. The PRICE was significantly HIGHER than any other cottage in the area, my friend hired similar… Read Full Review

Sykescottages's Response to ksa9022's Review

Written on: 20/05/2014

Dear Customer,

We are sorry to hear that you were unhappy with your stay over Easter 2014.

We would like an opportunity to put things right, but from the information provided, we have been unable to locate your customer record. At your earliest convenience, please can you contact out Customer Services team, who will be more than happy to look into the issues that you have raised.

Wendyclink's Response to ksa9022's Review

Have you considered getting in touch with the BBC1 team for Dom Littlewood

Sykescottages's Response to ksa9022's Review

Dear Customer,

We are sorry to hear that you were unhappy with your stay over Easter 2014.

Ksa9022's reply to Sykescottages's Comment

Written on: 21/05/2014

I have contacted your Customer Services team many times , but they couldn't do any thing except offering small amount of money which is completely unacceptable.

My information is here :

Ksa9022's reply to Sykescottages's Comment

Booking Ref: G96PQ-14

“Beware! No quality control. No refunds!”

Written on: 05/02/2014

I rented 4 holiday cottages through Sykes in the latter part of 2013. The first was dirty, and had a bare concrete floor in the living room. I informed Sykes, but no goodwill gesture was forthcoming. I then rented a further two cottages, which thankfully were kept in great condition by fastidious owners. For Christmas, I booked another cottage for two weeks. I arrived late on the 23rd, and despite the cottage being advertised with off-street parking, I was asked to park on the road. During… Read Full Review

Sykescottages's Comment

Written on: 05/02/2014

Dear Customer,

We regret that your most recent holiday with Sykes was not all that you hoped it would be.

We take the quality of our properties very seriously and measures are in place to ensure properties are kept at a high standard or improved as soon as possible, should any issues arise. The property in question has a history of consistently positive feedback.

We are sorry that you chose to leave the property before we had an opportunity to rectify your concerns but in recognition of your disappointment we offered a refund of £540 (nearly 80% of the total cost) on the 24th of December, the same day your complaint was received.

Further, in January a refund for the full amount was offered in writing. Perhaps you were unaware of this? This option is still open to you, should you wish to take it. Our customer services team are able to action this immediately for you and can be contacted 9am - 9:30pm daily.

Ksa9022's Comment

Get in touch with BBC1 - rip off britain or Dom Littlewood
Let the nation know what these Agencies are getting away with

Countryfile's Comment

Written on: 14/11/2014

I did finally get a refund after taking them to the small claims court. You can imagine how keen I will be to use them again!

Get in touch with BBC1 - rip off britain or Dom Littlewood
Let the nation know what these Agencies are getting away with

“ cottage owner with sykes previously”

Written on: 29/01/2014

they give ecery assistance to ensore you sign up with them if things go wrong you are on your own. The cottages may be called hand picked but basically that means nothing as all that is required to appear under this heading is apply to them. Sykes cottages DO NOT inspect the cottages again not even on an annual basis Hear various report of bad treatment of customers from Sykes cottages I have reported them to trading standards can only recommend that all who have a problem do the samee until… Read Full Review

Written on: 14/11/2014

COTTAGES 4 You are no help to the owners , thy dump you when your house has been wrecked, only want the money in and overcharge either side. They are willing to keep you on their books even when you have burned carpets, pots not useable all burned when the owner withdraws as the cottage is NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE they charge the owner £1,600 for looking out for the next clients.

“Excellent pre-sales, poor post-sales support”

Written on: 29/11/2013 by Limbrey (1 review written)

I've got to say, the sales team at Sykes have really got it figured out. They're helpful and flexible, great opening hours, and can get things done very quickly. Post-sales, less so. They don't offer refunds under any circumstances. If you purchase the insurance from them, they offer no assistance in working through the claim (you're on your own mate!). The chief issue with the combination of these policies is, in the event of you needing to cancel, Sykes offer absolutely no help, and… Read Full Review

“Superb Value For Money”

Written on: 17/11/2013

From the moment we arrived it was clear that this was going to be a very enjoyable holiday. The accommodation was spotless, the facilities were first class, the welcome hamper was better than expected. If we had not travelled so far to see Yorkshire we would have been very happy to stay in the cottage and garden for the whole week… Read Full Review

“House with a view”

Written on: 15/11/2013

The house was immaculate with comfy beds (important) and nothing lacking to make sure we were comfortable. We were fortunate in having a glorious week in June so were able to take advantage of the wonderful coastal walk at the bottom of the field. The sea views were quite wonderful. My friend and I agreed that, given the weather, the situation could not have been bettered. We did have to walk across a shared access path belonging to the neighbours, but we found them all very friendly… Read Full Review

“good value holiday accommodation - easy to use”

Written on: 14/11/2013 by jbdales (1 review written)

Easy to select holiday accommodation, with lots of variety - farms, flats, cottages at the sea or in the heart of our great countryside. Easy to review choices and a price to suit all pockets… Read Full Review

“great cottage”

Written on: 14/11/2013

The cottage was a home from home! there was everything we required and more. The beds were comfortable, the facilities excellent, in a very quiet and secluded spot. Virtually equal distance from Keswick and Cockermouth this was as far north in the Lake district as we would want to be. … Read Full Review

“Farm Cottage in Rural Dorset ”

Written on: 14/11/2013

Mulberry Cottage is a semi-detached cottage created from a former barn.It was disappointing to discover the farm now consists of a small duckpond and a few geese.For those expecting to feel a farming atmosphere it will not happen. The main access to the property is very close to the other property so that you need to establish good relations with your neighbour as you also need to share the barbecue facilities which are now neglected and only inviting to the dedicated. The backyard of the… Read Full Review

“My cottage holiday”

Written on: 14/11/2013

We have had 4 cottages in various locations up to now and am looking forward to the next one. All of them have been clean and well equipped, warm and comfortable. We had no problems in booking, and would certainly recommend Sykes cottages for a relaxing holiday to anyone… Read Full Review

“Cottage at Newport Pembrokeshire”

Written on: 14/11/2013

We had a very good holiday. All the arrangements and booking process worked well. The cottage was well located with reasonable space for 2 with all necessary equipment. All in all good value for money… Read Full Review

“Spacious Cottage”

Written on: 14/11/2013

Spacious very well equipped cottage, only thing missing was WiFi but this is understandable in this rural location. We were with our daughter son in law and 2 young children, the layout of the cottage was such that our bedroom was at the far end of it whereas the other 2 bedroom were together with a door separating them from the rest of the cottage, we had wonderful undisturbed nights. The location just off the A170 made it easy to visit York, Castle Howard etc Very helpful owner and a real… Read Full Review