Countrywide Surveyors Reviews

128
Countrywide Surveyors - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Countrywide Surveyors

Countrywide Surveyors

“Absolutely awful! I detest them!”

Written on: 28/03/2016 by Mueller181 (1 review written)

Woeful ,inadequate, unprofessional service and staff. Do not touch with flea ridden micky never mind my own shiny member!… Read Full Review

“Thankfully, everything went great!”

Written on: 14/03/2016 by LauraHG (1 review written)

After reading the majority of reviews on here, I was very apprehensive about using Countrywide Surveyors. However, my mortgage was through Nationwide and this was who they instructed (with our chosen mortgage we got a Homebuyers survey for £200 which we considered very reasonable!) We are FTB so weren't really sure what to expect! This is pretty much our timescale: 23 Feb: Instructed Nationwide that we would like homebuyers survey 24 Feb: Confirmation that a homebuyers survey was arranged… Read Full Review

“APPALLING - avoid at all costs.”

Written on: 06/03/2016 by Zoie50 (1 review written)

These people were recommended by the estate agent we were selling through. Scandalous… Read Full Review

“Do not use this company”

Written on: 03/03/2016 by RylanBeasley498 (1 review written)

Bank used them to valuate a property we needed to purchase for £200,000 they undervalue property by £10,000 £90,000 lower, even though we send multiple of comparison with next door to the house we buying brought for £212,000. They sent us with no information report to justify their reason they just dont care… Read Full Review

123Davdan's Comment

Written on: 26/04/2016

You appear illiterate as i cannot even understand your post. A professional valuer effectively told you you were paying too much, why didn't you negotiate a lower price. Pillock

Pbrown22's Comment

Written on: 27/04/2016

I did please dont use abusive language on this post. you should read terms and condition, we have found a property and is valued at the right price. I think you should read all the other comments before you judge.

“Shocking”

Written on: 29/02/2016 by Dottys79 (1 review written)

We are trying to release some equity to do home improvements and have had the house valued by 3 estate agents.the mortgage company use country pride to check on the valuation -Surveyer turned up at the wrong time and have undervalued our property by £15000 which has now caused us problems - load of rubbish!! If you have a choice I would avoid… Read Full Review

“Undervalued by rude surveyor!”

Written on: 29/02/2016 by HeidyKehoe1989 (1 review written)

We have been appalled by this company - steer clear of them and do not use. Ask mortgage company's who they are using and say you do not want this surveyor used. They didnt show up the first time and the the second time this very rude surveyor came who under valued our house by 20% to what we have had it surveyed at a few months ago. When we argued and gave examples and the previous information they agreed but said they would not change the evaluation. The whole process took over a week to get… Read Full Review

“Smooth, fast, fair”

Written on: 25/02/2016 by Kirklandki471 (1 review written)

We are a first-time buyer couple from the Midlands. Before receiving our mortgage valuation I came here to check out how others were getting on with Countrywide. Based on what I have seen we were expecting the worst... We didn't have much choice as we are lending from HSBC so they allocated the valuation to Countrywide by default. Two days after our appointment they got in touch with the vendor to make an appointment, so far so good. The mortgage valuation survey was carried out the following… Read Full Review

“Avoid at all cost”

Written on: 21/02/2016 by gm101 (1 review written)

Latest member of the under valued club here! Massively undervalued compared to local estate agent valuation, Zoopla, and land registry data. There is an option to challenge the valuation but it's a complete waste of time. Avoid, avoid, avoid!… Read Full Review

Fuzzy_Bear's Response to gm101's Review

Written on: 28/02/2016

Please, please remember these points, when you consider having a go at Countrywide or anyone else regarding "under-valuations". 1. An Estate Agent will tend to "over-value" when looking for an instruction, because human nature being what it is, a prospective seller will tend to get perhaps 3 "free valuations" and simply pick the "highest offer". That means there were 2 other "Estate Agent Free Valuations" that were actually lower than perhaps the figure you just offered! 2. An Estate Agent also values on a "hope basis" - what the future value is - i.e. the last house in this road I sold was £350,000, so maybe I can get £360,000 for this one. A Chartered Surveyor, by comparison, HAS to value on the basis of the last one sold - he CANNOT take into account anything except CONFIRMED sales. 3. A CS, especially when doing a Home Buyers Report, will ONLY report on "negative" matters. That's what you paid him to do! Always remember as to "why" this particular house appealed to you - maybe an intrinsic thing like a particular view. 4. Lastly, "Zoopla" merely uses a maths matrix to estimate values, based on, at best, "regional factors". It fails to take account of basic things like whether a kitchen is old or modern.
I add - I am a retired Chartered Surveyor AND Estate Agent, and I am no lover of Countrywide!

Gm101's reply to Fuzzy_Bear's Comment

Written on: 04/03/2016

So, we live in a conservation area where houses are rarely sold and there are people queuing up to buy. Using previously sold prices here is useless. In the 3 years since we bought our home we've completely modernised it, new electrics, plumbing etc. The average house price rise across the whole city in the last 3 years is 13% (land registry data). So how can Countrywide justify a 6.5% increase?

Fuzzy_Bear's reply to Gm101's Comment

Written on: 19/03/2016

I have no wish to get into "an argument", and obviously have absolutely no knowledge of your particular property/location - I am just trying to put a different perspective on things, which might help you understand what a CS is paid to do. Unfortunately, "repairs" to a property do not necessarily increase the value of a property on a £ for £ basis. "Valuation" is an imprecise art - it is a "matter of opinion". In the UK, we do not value property in the same way as in, say, Europe - where a property is valued on a simple technical basis of £z per M2, which reduces with age. That would consistently greatly reduce most house values in the UK. A Mortgage Value is ONLY EXPECTED to be within a "range" of values given as "10%+/-".
Clearly you are still aggrieved - present your "logical" arguments in a clear manner to the Co - I was always much more prepared to reconsider my opinion if I was treated politely and given specific, worked out (photo, size, date, price paid) comparables.
As said before - I am no lover of Countrywide - I turned down job offers from Countrywide, because they are a "meat grinder" Company.

Gm101's reply to Fuzzy_Bear's Comment

Written on: 19/03/2016

Appreciate your comments Fuzzy Bear, I know that a surveyors valuation will differ from what we could potentially sell a house for. We appealed twice (very politely) with evidence from multiple sources. Countrywide rejected everything. No matter, I just have one more thing to check next time we re-mortgage. Avoid any lender that uses Countrywide!

Fuzzy_Bear's reply to Gm101's Comment

Written on: 20/03/2016

And therein lies one of the basic problems - Lenders ask the "Big CS Companies with offices everywhere" (Countrywide, E-Serv, Colleys etc) to quote for the business of mortgage valuations (i.e. who is the cheapest), who then set their CS staff "targets" over ludicrously large areas, which barely gives them more than 20/25 minutes at each property. Fine if its a standard Estate house & the seller is in, useless otherwise. The lowest fee houses are old Victorian "artisan" houses which have the most problems. Long long gone are the days when the local "General Practice" CS, who sold & surveyed houses in his "patch" - maybe 5 miles circle - who knew every street inside out. Such is progress.
You won't get an option to pick whether its Countrywide or similar next time - its whoever is offering the contract cheapest at the time.
Best advice is to make it simple for the Valuer - have some comparables (Agent details will be fine, just add a handwritten "Sold for £z, only 3 beds" or whatever) sitting on a table ready for him to walk out with. Stands to reason - you've saved him time, he is more likely to be "generous" with his opinions!

“Amazing Service Very quick thank you - ”

Written on: 07/02/2016 by LuzHogan (1 review written)

Mortgage company sent the instruction to value tuesday at 3pm, got a phone call off countrywide at 4:30pm asking if it was ok for the following day i agreed and was given a time slot between 8:30 and 2:00 but she did say he needed to travel to see me so it would more likely be later on rather then bang on 8:30. 10am he arrives which i thought was brilliant he had a good look round and told me he would send the report later that day - i did not believe he would after reading the reviews on… Read Full Review

“Absolute joke don't use them”

Written on: 04/02/2016 by Badhouse (1 review written)

We had country wide do a home buyers survey on a property this survey came back saying that there were no structural problems with the house .We moved in and shortly after found that in fact the house has major structural problems we had a very good independent survey carried out by the person I dealt with who concluded that the house has roof spread. Country wides reaction when we went back to them was very poor they sent out an independent surveyor of there own who come up with get a builder… Read Full Review

“another nonsense undervaluation”

Written on: 29/01/2016

After receiving a ridiculous valuation from Countrywide surveyors I came to read te reviews to see if it was just me - apparently not - I don't know how they are getting away with this, is it a ploy by the banks to get out of lending the money?… Read Full Review

“Terrible Customer Service”

Written on: 19/01/2016 by Maxwellag199 (1 review written)

Rang Countrywide today to check if survey/valuation results were back. Was informed for this type of survey I needed to contact mortgage provider. Would not even confirm if survey was complete. Surprised as Halifax normally uses Colley's who are very helpful and even provide tel. number of the surveyor… Read Full Review

“Inaccurate report”

Written on: 31/12/2015 by 331Bain (1 review written)

The Valuation Report for the house I am buying stated it is Freehold and also needs Damproofing. My Solocitor has determined it is Leasehold and a survey says there is no sign of damp. A clause in the Lease requires me to get permission from the leaseholder for each structural change at a cost each time of £160. As I plan six such changes in the next two years I am faced with unexpected bill of £960. When I wrote to Countrywide for compensation by buying the freehold at a cost of £600… Read Full Review

I am a retired Chartered Surveyor, no friend of Countrywide, however:
1. The CS doing the report relies on the Estate Agent to tell him the accurate tenure of the property. He does not have access to the Title Deeds - that is a matter for the Solicitor. Your Solicitor should have written back to your Mortgage Company & asked them to ask the CS whether the change in tenure would cause him to change his valuation opinion, after giving him all the facts. He probably would have reduced his opinion of value by £1,000 perhaps, which could have helped your negotiations with seller. Your Solicitor was in error for not doing that.
2. Structural Changes: I would have thought 1 permission for all proposed alterations would have been sufficient - would not matter if they weren't all done at the same time - it's the permission that matters. Also, once you have bought Freehold, as long as its not affecting other Leasehold properties, you would not need any permissions from Freeholder (but don't forget Building Regulations etc!)
I am just being fair to the Company - having done Mortgage Valuations for 40 years I do understand what the pressures are on the CS, and the huge misconceptions as to what they are paid to be doing!

I am a retired Chartered Surveyor, no friend of Countrywide, however:

“Fantastic and Fast!”

Written on: 22/12/2015 by Collin187 (1 review written)

Same as most reviews online, normally people who have had a bad experience take the time to post a comment and those that had good service are off enjoying their life! Despite all the negative reviews on Countrywide, they were fantastic. £433 for a homebuyers, which is cheap. I was forced to use them via my lender (HSBC) and after reading comments I was very worried about what would happen. The surveyor called me the morning of the visit to the property to ask if I required anything specific… Read Full Review

Hannahcol's Comment

Written on: 05/01/2016

This is definitely written by staff. Had an argument with one of the managers there today and this review is pretty much word for word what I was told. Except they've cancelled it three times already! And the surveyor doesn't ring before because they never turn up!

Wilko1987's Comment

Written on: 05/01/2016

Afraid not. Just a customer. Granted they obviously don't provide very good service consistently but that doesn't mean everyone that uses them are doomed. Don't get me wrong, out of choice I wouldn't touch them purely due to everyone else's reviews, but if like me you're stuck with them because of your lender then all hope doesn't have to be lost.

“Under valued by arrogant surveyor”

Written on: 04/12/2015 by ngMcCormack322 (1 review written)

We had a valuation and Homebuyers report valued by the surveyor. He valued the property at £60k less than the purchase price. I subsequently spoke with him and provided more comparables, however he would not move the value even though the comparables showed it was obvious the property was worth more. Pure arrogance. I was particularly disappointed because many of his reasons for the low value were matters of taste rather than market value e.g. people prefer 2 levels rather than 3 (really??… Read Full Review

Gm101's Comment

Written on: 17/02/2016

Completely agree, our house was massively undervalued when applying to remortgage for an extension. We challenged with a mountain of supporting data and they fobbed us off citing "various factors"... Complete joke...

“An absolute disgraceful valuation”

Written on: 03/12/2015 by Jensenzb46 (1 review written)

I had done a lot of research prior to suggesting a value of our house to the mortgage company and used various indicators and valuation websites, including Nationwide & Zoopla. My house estimation to the mortgage company was below all valutions I had obtained. However, our property was eventually valued £25K lower by Countrywide. We purchased the house 2 years ago and Countrywide are effectively stating that our house as gone up in value by 2% when in fact all indicators point to a 9 to 10%… Read Full Review

“undervalued our house by £40,000”

Written on: 12/11/2015 by Dariens467 (1 review written)

Drive by valuation done for Nationwide. It is robbery what they are doing! It's disgusting. Would have given then no stars but have to give atleast one! Avoid avoid avoid … Read Full Review

Written on: 19/03/2016

A "Drive By" Valuation is exactly what it says - the CS "drives by" the house. The "joke debate" at CS meetings is usually "at what speed"? The fee is usually about £40 - to include time driving there, stopping, looking up & down road, ticking about 5 boxes on a form, driving back, checking on internet & then sending in report. Could total in time about an hour. That all assumes the property is a "standard" estate house, with no extensions, no defects, in average condition. CS's don't like doing them - because every house is different - sometimes you can't even see the house (or flat), but if the borrower only wants to pay minimal fees (& that is not a criticism, just a comment), then that is what one will get. P.S. The Mortgage Co will probably be charging you many hundreds of pounds as an "Arrangement Fee", and calling it a "Valuation Fee". That's where the problem lies.

“Factually Incorrect - unbelievable!!!!!”

Written on: 03/11/2015

Was offered the choice of a valuation survey or Homebuyer report when I applied for a mortgage. Countrywide carried out the survey and delivered the report. Stated that the house has single glazing when in fact it is all double glazed. Do they even visit the property or just use Google Maps??… Read Full Review

“No words”

Written on: 30/10/2015 by MaddenLawrence261 (1 review written)

So I too am joining the down-valuation club. My house was valued by an estate agent at 125000. I received an offer of 124000 just 3 weeks after the house went up for sale. I expected everything to sail through as there had been so much interest and a lot of offers on the house... countrywide then down valued my house by 7000...not a hit I can really take. So needless to say the sale has now fallen through. They really don'the look at desirability and location at all, they just look at recently… Read Full Review

“unprofessional ”

Written on: 29/10/2015 by CharlotteFinn (1 review written)

Unfortunately I should have listened to the other revewies and not given them the benefit of the doubt. Left hand don't know what the right hand is doing, surveys take much longer than any other company, the whole company seem unprofessional. They will not pass on messages or let you speak to the surveyor direct. I will be writing a offical complaint to RICS… Read Full Review