ClearDebt Reviews - www.cleardebt.co.uk

ClearDebt www.cleardebt.co.uk - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for ClearDebt www.cleardebt.co.uk

ClearDebt www.cleardebt.co.uk

“Excellent Company”

Written on: 02/02/2016 by JB62 (1 review written)

I recently completed an IVA with Cleardebt and received my completion certificate in less than 7 days from completion. I cannot recommend this company enough. I would specially like to mention Sailesh Vara who was my caseworker during my IVA. He was absolutely fantastic throughout the whole process, always very friendly and professional and responded to all emails/phone calls quickly - he really is a credit to Cleardebt. Anybody who needs help with their debts should not hesitate in… Read Full Review

“They sort all your problems out 4 you”

Written on: 01/02/2016 by MeghanErickson (1 review written)

Clear Debt are a really good company 2 work with they guide u through all the things u might not understand very helpful and they take away a lot of worry and anxiety u may have as long as u give all the information u can they will do there very utmost 2 sort out your financial problems would definitely recommend Clear Debt 2 any one… Read Full Review

“Iva recently completed”

Written on: 09/12/2015

Having read other reviews I can only say that cleardebt have acted in a professional way at all times. I have been kept informed throughout. If you stick to your end of the agreement then there is no problems. With regard to PPI payments what ever is collected on your behalf will reduce your total debt. It was a decision that I am glad I took, it took a huge weight of my mind and gave my creditors as much as I could afford, you won't have any luxuries for several years but it is the best… Read Full Review

“Exceptional service, non judgemental and has your best...”

Written on: 03/12/2015 by AryanMcDougall201 (1 review written)

Exceptional service, non judgemental and has your best interest at heart! I can now sleep without the worry of baliffs and letters, this was by far the best decision I have made. The team is fantastic and I can not thank them enough. If you are considering and form of debt management I would highly recommend Clear Debt!!… Read Full Review

“Swimming in ever decreasing circles of debt, then...”

Written on: 21/11/2015

Having big tried to juggle five then four credit card bills for several years it b came apparent that I was not going to be able to repay them so I sought guidance from Cleardebt. I liked the way that each step of the process Clear debt regularly communicated what was happening and what I would need to do next. The process was transparent but did take rather longer than I would have hoped. I know where I stand with my finances and am budgeting for my future. I will have six years to build up… Read Full Review

“Should be called MoreDebt”

Written on: 14/10/2015 by PoorBoy81 (1 review written)

Rubbish and worse than been chased by the companies you owe money too. Be prepared for poor customer service, extortionate fees not to mention endless claims for PPI. If you ask them for an IVA stick with it and do not get on the wrong side of them or it will be solicitors letters (from a company I suspect Cleardebt are connected to so win/win for them when they try and recover legal fees) and a trip to the Bankruptcy Court. They made me feel like a criminal. I wish I could give minus… Read Full Review

Cleardebt's Response to PoorBoy81's Review

Written on: 15/10/2015

Hi,

I am sorry to hear of your concerns and would like to address these for you in the context of your own case. ClearDebt prides itself on the standard of the service we provide, so I am keen to look into this for you. I would therefore be grateful if you can contact me with your name, reference number and contact details so that I can look into this further for you.

Just for the benefit of others reading this post, the “extortionate fees” which you mention are paid from the monthly contributions which you make and these are agreed in advance by both yourself and your creditors. These are taken from the amount you and your creditors have agreed you can afford to repay and do not increase your contribution by one penny. They reduce the return your creditors accept and, provided you complete the IVA, it is your creditors that effectively pay these fees. The only exception would be if you had a positive change in your financial circumstances which put you in the fortunate position of being able to repay all of your IVA creditors full, plus statutory interest and fees, therefore allowing you to complete your IVA early.

Any claims for mis-sold PPI are assets of the IVA which must be realised for the benefit of your creditors and this will also be of benefit to you if any such claims come to fruition, as a discretionary payment of up to the first £500 net which is received into the IVA estate will be made to you, once all of these claims are complete.

I look forward to hearing from you so that I can address your concerns personally.

David Mond

“Relief ”

Written on: 13/09/2015

Cleardebt changed my life. They were so helpful throughout my IVA.They never judged me only helped. The day i received confimation that my IVA was ended I cried with happiness Now I can sleep at night thanks to them… Read Full Review

“Nearly over”

Written on: 06/09/2015 by Skanny316 (1 review written)

Case officers over time frame No issues over the initial 5 year IVA timeframe and case officers where professional and always responded and I would recommend them to anyone who has had debt issues, however my IVA finished 6 months ago and I have still not been signed off or received my £500 for completing the PPI claims, I have just found the ending slightly frustrating as once you have made that final payment and breath a sigh of relief you then have a further six months of waiting and… Read Full Review

“Avoid at all costs”

Written on: 03/09/2015 by McQueen108 (1 review written)

This company should be avoided and their sole aim seems to be to line their own pockets in terms of fees. My own IVA failed through no fault of my own. I heard nothing from from this company for over 3 years and then, without warning, a private investigator is serving me with a bankruptcy petition! Yes, this is a company that claims to help! Avoid as they are worse than the creditors. Take advice from a charity and with any iva have a solicitor check the documents for you. Avoid these… Read Full Review

Abacus_Finance's Comment

Written on: 04/09/2015

Hi,

I am sorry to hear of your concerns and would certainly like to look into your case for you.

I find it very strange that you would have received no communication for 3 years, as any IVA requires an annual report to be circulated. Similarly, a petition for bankruptcy would not be issued unless the terms of the IVA had been breached.

ClearDebt have never hired a private investigator - any bankruptcy papers would be served by an officer of the courts, so it seems you may have your facts mixed up on this.

I would be grateful if you could contact me with your details so that I can look into this for you and provide you with a more substantive response.

Mondymondy's Comment

Written on: 04/09/2015

Sorry if my comments were slightly misleading. Yes I have had annual reports (mixed in with endless ppi claim paperwork). Yes there was a breach which I asked for and your acknowledged..3.5 years ago - no reference to BR. Who sent the pi is immaterial....you, without any warning or discussion, instigated it. It is clear it is a last ditch attempt to line your own pockets via a IPO. I would like to thank you for the stress this has caused to both myself and my family and the far reaching impact this may have on my life. I have no wish to discuss this directly with you in the same way you chose not to discuss BR with me!

“Clear Debt IVA Review”

Written on: 15/08/2015

Clear Debt were great throughout my IVA, so helpful, understanding, and not judgmental. Thank you so much, I can now get on with my life without all that worry and stress… Read Full Review

“Putting your debts on hold”

Written on: 14/07/2015 by dzHoover3 (1 review written)

At first thought this was brilliant, helping me at a time where unforeseen circumstances forced me down this route after all it was my own fault I'd got into debt, after contacting my debtors with no joy I felt had no option but to turn to these people everything seemed ok until another crisis hit our family and couldn't afford the payments £600 per month. Now after termination of IVA our creditors are chasing for their money, all the payments we have made have gone in fees to clear debt and… Read Full Review

Written on: 17/07/2015

Hi,

I am sorry to hear that you had a change in circumstances meaning that you could not afford to make your payments, however I simply cannot agree with your post.

I don’t wish for anyone to be deterred from looking into an IVA with ClearDebt (or anyone else for that matter) purely because they are worried what might happen if they have a significant change in circumstances. We will always try to work with you to salvage your arrangement wherever possible, whether that entails looking at a payment break for a few months while you get back on your feet, or putting a more formal proposal to your creditors to vary the terms of your IVA to something which is affordable.

For you to state that an IVA is only putting off what needs paying is completely incorrect. In the overwhelming majority of cases, a debtor will successfully comply with the terms of their arrangement and have a large portion of their debt written off by their creditors.

It is only in exceptional circumstances that an IVA would fail and even if such unforeseen circumstances arose, there would clearly be an impact regardless of whether you were in an IVA or not.

If you would like to contact me with your reference number and/or name & address, I will be happy to provide you with a breakdown of what money has been received into your IVA estate, what fees have been paid and any distributions that have been made to your creditors.

David Mond
CEO
ClearDebt Limited

“helpful allways willing to anwer questions ”

Written on: 09/07/2015 by Whitevi286 (1 review written)

fantastic help and support and might need advice I would tell anyone who needs help to call… Read Full Review

“AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE”

Written on: 24/04/2015 by morpheus1978 (1 review written)

I made a a terrible mistake using this company. They completely missold this to me. What they dont tell you is that they use a company called DRSP for PPI and packaged bank accounts. They give DRSP 35% of claims. You have no choice in doing this and they don't tell you up front. Do you really want a 3rd partu company raking their grubbly little hands through your credit file knowing bow financial services work there is a clear financial incentive for cleardeb but they dont disclose it. I… Read Full Review

Cleardebt's Response to morpheus1978's Review

Written on: 12/05/2015

Hi,

I am sorry to hear of your concerns.

Any compensation owed for mis-sold PPI and PBA’s is classed as being an asset of a debtor’s IVA and the supervisor has an obligation to ensure that any potential claims are investigated independently, so it is necessary for an independent Claims Management Company (“CMC”) to undertake these investigations. This is not a case of somebody “raking their grubby little hands” through a debtor’s credit file – it is to ensure that any potential claims are realised so that their creditors receive a fair return for agreeing to a legally binding contract to write off a substantial proportion of their debt as well as freezing interest and charges and giving a fixed period over which these reduced contributions are made. These are the major benefits of an IVA and all of these benefits cannot be achieved by approaching creditors directly.

DRSP Limited (DRSP) were selected to undertake this work due to their expertise and experience in dealing with complex mis-sold PPI claims on behalf of insolvent parties; indeed there are a great many CMCs who simply will not undertake such investigations for people who are currently subject to an IVA due to the complexities involved.

DRSP’s fees are paid from the successful claims which are paid into the estate (at the creditors’ expense, which they agree to) and in the majority of cases, the supervisor is able to make a discretionary £500 goodwill gesture to the debtor once all investigations have been completed in recognition of their co-operation with DRSP (subject to sufficient mis-selling compensation being recovered into the IVA estate).

Furthermore, your assertion that ClearDebt receives any kind of payment or “back hander” from DRSP is wholly incorrect. As I mentioned earlier, DRSP were selected on merit for their expertise in this field and your speculation to the contrary is entirely unfounded and totally unsubstantiated and disingenuous.

As a company, we are more than happy to address any concerns you may have in an open and honest manner; as such, if you have any further issues which you would like me to address, I can be contacted directly by email and I will be happy to assist in any way I can.

Mondymondy's Response to morpheus1978's Review

Written on: 03/09/2015

Great review and I agree as this my experience of a company looking to line it's pockets at the expense of the creditor. I received endless documents from DRSP despite repeatedly telling clear debt I never had ppi!! Shameful that companies such as clear debt are allowed to profit in this manner.

“Review of ClearDebt ”

Written on: 17/04/2015 by Hamza335 (1 review written)

I dont want asked nothink :) I just want to say BIG BIG BIG THANKS for this company.The people who worked on my case ,they helped me a lot.I can recomend this company for everybody ,who has the situation like i had. Respect for you guys .I definetly recomend you for people who has the same problem like me . Again THANKS VERY MUCH !!!!!!!!!!!!… Read Full Review

“Disappointed”

Written on: 06/04/2015 by Shayla239 (1 review written)

I started with clear debt 12 months and have constantly been let down, f Transferring my debt so an Iva i didn't recieve a statement which I thought was strange at the time though I had an idea of my creditors and the balances. In April 14 lloyds notified me that my ppi of £1300 would be paid to clear debt I called clear debt and asked that as soon as this had been paid could I get a statement?yes ahe said... October I hadn't received anything I called and was told that they had not had the… Read Full Review

Written on: 08/04/2015

Hi,

I am sorry if you have misunderstood the letter which was sent to you. This letter was sent to all of ClearDebt’s IVA customers to explain to them that the ongoing issue of investigating mis-sold Payment Protection Insurance (“PPI”) which had been preventing many customers from receiving their completion certificates even though they had made all of their agreed contributions had been resolved.

For the avoidance of doubt:-

1. The letter did not state “Congratulations you have paid off your debts and your Iva is cleared” as you claim; in fact the letter said “ On Friday 20 March 2015 your creditors agreed to a mass variation that will now allow me to close your IVA and issue you with any relevant certificate if all the expected contributions have been made.” I should stress again the point “If all the expected contributions have been made.”

As you are aware, the agreement that is made at the outset of most IVAs is to make 60 monthly contributions over a period of 5 years (as well as addressing any equity in the property if applicable after 54 months). As you state that you only started your IVA 12 months ago, it would seem to me that you have still have roughly 4 years of contributions yet to be made (assuming that your payments are up to date and that your start date is correct) and you should continue to make your expected monthly contributions, however if you wish, you can contact your CSO who will be able to confirm the exact number of payments left to be made as things stand.

2. At the outset of an IVA, all of the creditors are written to, requesting an up to date balance. This is so calculations can be made to work out what percentage of distributions should be made to each creditor on a pro-rata basis. During the course of the arrangement, the balances of the debts are, to all intents and purposes, irrelevant, as the debts are written off by your creditors once you have fulfilled your obligations under the terms of your IVA. Your supervisor will, however, send an annual report to both you and your creditors, breaking down what has been received and what has been distributed to your creditors.

Given that you state your IVA started 12 months ago, I expect that your first annual report is currently being prepared and will be sent to you in due course; your CSO will be able to confirm this for you if you contact them.

I should also point out that the Financial Ombudsman Service (“FOS”) does not have any jurisdiction over the supervision of IVAs. If you do have any concerns which you would like to be addressed in the context of your specific case, I can be contacted by e-mail and I will be happy to help. A copy of ClearDebt’s complaints procedure is posted on our website cleardebt or is available on request from your CSO, although I am confident if this reply has not answered your query, I will be able to do so to your satisfaction.

Compliance Manager

“Clear Debt should be really called Put off your debt”

Written on: 21/03/2015 by nhspensioner (1 review written)

I have just retired after nearly 40 years in the NHS and have recieved my pension / lump sum. I have been on an IVA for 2 years and was shocked to be told I would have to pay off my IVA in full. This was nearly £36000 and a significsnt chunk of my lump sum. They even said it had to be paid in preference to SECURED DEBT and were told my Insolvency Practitioner could petition for my bankrupcy if i did comply. Fees are rediculously high and you even pay for the free postage envelopes !! You are… Read Full Review

Cleardebt's Response to nhspensioner's Review

Written on: 07/04/2015

Hi,

I am sorry to learn of your dissatisfaction. Without having access to your particular case file, I am unable to comment specifically on your own situation, however I can confirm the following:-

Your IVA proposal will contain details relating to any windfalls which you receive during the course of your arrangement. In almost all cases, any such windfall over the value of £500 would need to be paid into your arrangement. Clearly it would be unreasonable to expect your creditors to write off a significant amount of debt if you received a large lump sum, and instead of repaying these debts as outlined within your IVA, attempted to use this money to repay secured borrowing instead.

It is also correct that if you were to refuse to pay money owed to your IVA from such a windfall, that this may, ultimately, lead to a petition for your bankruptcy being presented.

With regard to remortgaging in the latter stages of an IVA (with any company, not just ClearDebt), it is expected that all homeowners should attempt to remortgage their property after 54 months of a 60 month arrangement, in order to release equity to be paid to their creditors. It is not correct to say that anyone would be made bankrupt if they were unable to remortgage; refusing to attempt to remortgage or to co-operate with the terms of your IVA may ultimately lead to this scenario, however, provided you comply and attempt to remortgage (whether successful or not), this would simply not be the case.

Any fees payable are paid from the IVA estate and are agreed, prior to the commencement of your IVA, by both yourself and your creditors; in the majority of circumstances, these fees are paid to the creditors’ detriment, however, if you are fortunate enough to come into enough money to be able to repay your IVA in full before the end of its natural term, then you have benefitted from the protection afforded by the IVA preventing your creditors from pursuing normal collection activity and applying potentially very high interest rates and penalty charges.

Finally, all free post envelopes are sent out free of charge. If you have experienced any difficulties receiving these envelopes, or would like me to address any specific details relating to your individual complaint, please feel free to e-mail me.

Morpheus1978's reply to Cleardebt's Comment

Written on: 25/04/2015

Sorry to hear you are having trouble with these guys. Ive recently been misspld an IVA aswell by them. If they didn't explain this to you on the outset, this was missold. All this conpany care about is making money out of vulnerable people. I would send them a letter asking for copies of your call scripts. Maybe you could do it in one of their nice pre-paid envelopes.

Cleardebt's reply to Morpheus1978's Comment

Written on: 28/04/2015

Morpheus1978

Your comments on this thread are not correct.

ClearDebt will always endeavour to assess an individual’s circumstances as well as their potential vulnerability before providing advice on the financial solutions available to them.

We tailor the advice accordingly to ensure that all customers are treated fairly. ClearDebt prides itself that our customers’ best interests are always at the heart of any advice we provide.

Issues such as windfalls and previously acquired assets (such as PPI mis-selling claims) are explained during advice calls and in the documentation our customers receive and sign.

Remember that an IVA is an agreement between the individual who owes money and the people they have not been able to repay.

It is affordable and achievable for the customer but must represent the customer's best efforts if it is going to be fair to the customer's creditors. Thus, whilst most who enter an IVA will make their agreed monthly payments and not a penny more, those who do receive an unexpected windfall (like a bequest or a lottery win) and those who have potential claims (like mis-sold PPI or packaged bank accounts) will be expected to pay them into the IVA estate for the benefit of their creditors. All IVA providers are required do this. Neither ClearDebt or any other provider has any choice in the matter.

As you can see, a response has been provided to the original poster addressing the points they have raised, as well as inviting them to contact us if they have any additional concerns so that their individual case and financial situation can be discussed in confidence rather than in a public forum.

CEO

Mondymondy's Response to nhspensioner's Review

Written on: 03/09/2015

I can only reiterate that I don't think this company act on your behalf and ate only in it for the fees. They will make you bankrupt if things go wrong

“Do not even consider "Clear Debt" as an option”

Written on: 27/01/2015 by absolutenightmare (1 review written)

Absolute nightmare! This company has changed its name on several occasions since being with them. Due to unforeseen difficulties including the death of my mother during our IVA, our 5yr arrangement is now going into its 8th year! The people managing our IVA are no better than the hounds that constantly attempt to terrorise you into paying extortionate fees. They constantly threaten you with the failure of your debtors being given the power to "come after you" for your initial debt (plus… Read Full Review

Cleardebt's Response to absolutenightmare's Review

Written on: 28/01/2015

I am sorry to learn of your concerns and also offer my condolences on the passing of your mother.

Without having access to your case notes, I am unable to comment specifically on your individual personal circumstances, although it would not be appropriate for me to do so in any case in a public forum.

To answer the points you have raised in general terms:-

• ClearDebt has not changed its name at any point (other than at the time of listing as a public liability company). It is possible that you may have started your IVA with a different Insolvency provider who subsequently ceased trading and whose cases were taken over by ClearDebt; this is not at all uncommon.

• Remember your IVA almost certainly would have written off a significant proportion of your debts, if you made all the payments and that interest and charges were frozen on the day you entered the arrangement - which will have saved you a great deal of money. However, if a debtor does not comply with the terms of their IVA which leads to its failure, they are no longer afforded protection from their creditors who are then free to resume normal collection activities; this will mean that the full amount of the original debt becoming payable as well as the likely resumption of interest and charges and may, ultimately, lead to enforcement action being taken on the part of the creditor such as bailiff visits, money being deducted from their wages, charging orders being placed against their property, or, in certain cases, a petition being presented for their bankruptcy. I don't think you were being threatened. I think you were being fairly warned as to what might happen.

• The fees charged by ClearDebt are agreed prior to the commencement of an IVA and are approved by the debtor’s creditors who are bound by this Arrangement. You pay a monthly contribution that you and your creditors agree that you can afford and our fees are deducted from that - you don't pay a penny more. These are comprised of Nominee’s Fees (a fixed amount for arranging the IVA) and Supervisor’s Fees (a percentage amount of future realisations for running the IVA – generally 15%). These fees, as well as general costs incurred, are deducted from the IVA estate. Unless the debtor’s circumstances change and they come into enough money to repay their IVA in full, these deductions are to the creditors’ detriment and are agreed and approved by them in advance. I cannot foresee any circumstances where the Nominee’s and Supervisor’s fees could possibly equate to being three times that of the dividends paid to creditors.

• ClearDebt utilises the services of an external independent claims management company to investigate any potential claims for mis-sold PPI which may be realised for a debtor’s IVA estate. Your assertion that there is any conflict of interest in so doing is entirely incorrect. Nor is your allegation that ClearDebt’s chairman is a major shareholder in such claims management company – I don’t know where you get that from and is totally an unfair criticism for you to make.

• Whilst administering an IVA, the Supervisor’s role is not to offer preferential treatment – they are there to balance the interests of the creditors as well as the debtor. As previously stated, unless the debtor’s circumstances change allowing them to repay their IVA in full, in the overwhelming majority of cases, this leads to a large proportion of the debt being written off, as well as the debtor being afforded protection from their creditors taking further action throughout the duration of the IVA; for you to generalise and say “Deal with your own creditors it is much much MUCH less expensive” is clearly erroneous and factually wrong.

If you would like me to address any issues regarding your own case, I would be grateful if you could contact me by e-mail with your reference number and/or contact details so that I can reply to you directly with regard to your own specific circumstances.

“Thank You ”

Written on: 12/01/2015 by GaryRichards (2 reviews written)

Would just like to thank all the ClearDebtLimited team and in particular my personal advisor, for all the advice and support they gave me throughout my IVA, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!! Would and will recommend their service to everyone… Read Full Review

“Do not involve these people in your life”

Written on: 19/12/2014 by gbYates342 (1 review written)

Worst experience ever, the term miss sold should be applied to these people, full of promise but no delivery of any support, started with sending documents to the wrong address then the regular changing of managers 4th in as many years extensions of ridiculous length, increases in payment due to errors on their part, refusal to accept lower earnings as a reason to reduce payments with the constant reminder of arrears and potential failure. This process has ended my marriage and my life as it… Read Full Review

Written on: 19/12/2014

I am sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction.

In order for me to locate your details, I would be grateful if you could provide me with your reference number and I will endeavour to address your concerns.

“getting my life back”

Written on: 17/11/2014 by ostrich61 (1 review written)

cleardebt is helping me get my life back instead of dreading waking up in a morning, i rate it 95 percent, the other 5 percent is after a year still waiting for my goodwill payment from ppi that is my only negative… Read Full Review