vauxhall Astra MK1 GTE Reviews

vauxhall Astra MK1 GTE - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for vauxhall Astra MK1 GTE

vauxhall Astra MK1 GTE
vauxhall Astra MK1 GTE

“The best car of my youth”

Written on: 21/08/2012 by Stublue (1 review written)

You have to remember that back in 1984 when my Astra Gte was built, and back in 1988 when I bought it as a 18 year old for 4500 quid, that cars were simple! Engine, wind down windows, radio and tape player, anti corrosion treatment as an extra! I traded in my 1979 ford cortina for this car. It cost me 850 quid to insure, that's about 3 million quid today! This car was proper fast, not XR2 fast, faster, not fiat Mirafori sport fast, faster. It just pulled in all 5 gears, like mad, like nothing… Read Full Review

“WOW!!!! the MK1 Astra GTE was my first ever car at 21...”

Written on: 16/06/2010

WOW!!!! the MK1 Astra GTE was my first ever car at 21 yrs old, i reluctantly sold it as i was in the Royal Navy and was going to sea for 10 month, that was a decision i have regretted from the day it sold. i have owned some fast cars in my time e.g mitsubishi fto,subaru impreza wrx to name some, but none have gave me the experience or thrill that the lower powered MK1 Astra GTE gave me. The pure driveability of the GTE was second to none and it could even take on the newer escort RS turbo's… Read Full Review

“Excellent reliability, easy to work on, parts are...”

Written on: 16/10/2008

Excellent reliability, easy to work on, parts are interchangeable with other Vauxhalls, very tunable, came with a 1.2/1.3/1.6 and 1.8 engines with 3 door and 5 door hatchback and also a 2 door saloon, I had one for my 1st car 15 years ago and still miss it now... Great car if you can get one in solid condition otherwise prepare for a full body restore, rust protection on these were never great, it's the one thing that killed them off, shame… Read Full Review

“The MK1 Astra is a good car to drive and goes well...”

Written on: 10/01/2008

The MK1 Astra is a good car to drive and goes well with a cav turbo lump in but you need a good shell. Not many around now though… Read Full Review

“I had a GTE MK1 was the best car I have owned, I miss...”

Written on: 23/11/2007 by steve968 (1 review written)

I had a GTE MK1 was the best car I have owned, I miss mine so much. Got it of a guy who brought it from alpine music store, as their show car.
Mine was lower twin exhaust system.. People in the street used to stand back and have a look. Then someone pulled out in front of me one day and the whole thing was gone.. To this day I really miss and when I see a standard one, as there ain't that many left of the GTE, I can still picture mine. And yeah the power was amazing, like someone said; you had… Read Full Review

“The Astra Mk1 GTE is a great car, is fast and has very...”

Written on: 25/11/2005 by GTE POWER (1 review written)

The Astra Mk1 GTE is a great car, is fast and has very good handling I am an owner of a MK1 Astra GTE (original) I never had any problems with the car and I was always blowing my cars mates. I raced with GOLF GTI 1.8 16v with 8v GTI, Ford XR3i and Pug 205 Gti 1.9. recently I have turbocharged my Astra and it is great and fast!… Read Full Review

“My brother owns a Vauxhall Astra MK1 GTE. It's really...”

Written on: 05/10/2005 by Madmarianne129 (1 review written)

My brother owns a Vauxhall Astra MK1 GTE. It's really good, and I think hes trying to sell it for parts… Read Full Review

“I have owned two Vauxhall Astra MK1 GTE's. The first...”

Written on: 13/10/2004 by Delmastiff (1 review written)

I have owned two Vauxhall Astra MK1 GTE's. The first was from new when I was 18. The car was fantastic, blowing away my mates in their Golf GTI's and XR3i's.
My latest one is a 2.0 16v Turbo 250bhp version. It goes like nothing else I've ever driven, awesome performance and cool retro looks too.
Go out and buy one!!… Read Full Review

“You realy do have to drive a vauxhall Astra mk1 GTE to...”

Written on: 05/04/2004 by nobbybarnes (1 review written)

You realy do have to drive a vauxhall Astra mk1 GTE to understand, but get it on the open road, drop a gear and floor it!! Then stop and wait for your stomach to catch up.!! Try throwing it through some tight country lanes.. Go back and try harder.. The car just gives and gives..
Yes you do have to maintain it if you do push it hard. The front tyres wear out super fast, the anti-roll bushes wear, the gas shocks need looking after. But the finess of the exact steering, the responsiveness of the… Read Full Review

“I never realy enjoyed the vauxhall Astra mk1 GTE, It...”

Written on: 21/01/2004 by varma (3 reviews written)

I never realy enjoyed the vauxhall Astra mk1 GTE, It was badly made and rusted all the time. Not something I would recommend unless you have a lot of time and money to spend on making it a minter… Read Full Review

Gte Power's Response to varma's Review

Written on: 25/11/2005

Hi mate You don't know about cars as far as I understand. The Astra MK1 GTE is a special car; it's fast, has great handling and it is cool!! Yes it has problems with the rust, but this depends on how much you take care of your car. Go and buy a MK1 to understand what a car is. The MK1 Astra is a 22 year old car, in its day it was probably one of the best cars, blowing away the MK1 And MK2 GTi, and the Xr3i.

“The vauxhall Astra mk1 GTE is possibly the best car in...”

Written on: 11/08/2003 by Pall (3 reviews written)

The vauxhall Astra mk1 GTE is possibly the best car in the world. They are beautiully built with an excellent finish. they can reach speeds up to 145 mph in limited time. a real champion racers car. my number one in the world i love more than anything in the world. it's a masterpiece and in a league of it's own above the rest. It is a racers dream and fantasy… Read Full Review

B19Yng's Response to Pall's Review

Written on: 18/10/2003

it is impossible for this car to do 145mph as the car is limited by the gearing to do 127mph i am a vauxhall mechanic and should know

227069_Gill3677's Response to Pall's Review

Written on: 25/01/2006

HI IS ANYONE SELLING A ASTRA MK1 GTE OR SR LET ME KNOW PLEASE.

Delmastiff's Response to Pall's Review

Written on: 13/10/2004

Mine does 150mph+, but then it is running a 2.0 16v turbo (C20LET) and 250bhp superchip coupled to a F20 gearbox!
<br>It is a real drivers car with perfect poise and loads of power and torque.
<br>If you're after an affordable classic that will get you noticed, buy A Mk1 Astra GTE!!

Mutantcar's Response to Pall's Review

Written on: 02/08/2004

Absolute rubbish 145! I had one, I got it up to 134 (on the clock - a bit optimistic I suspect) on a local airstrip! Great car though.

205Gti's Response to Pall's Review

Written on: 05/01/2004

I totally agree with other comments, it would be impossible to get those speeds. And no faults, have you heard of vauxhalls and rust before. The build quality is shocking. I think you need to look at your car more closely.

“I dont own a gte yet!, but i do have 3 mk1 astras at...”

Written on: 10/04/2003 by Richard, an astra addict!!. (1 review written)

I dont own a gte yet!, but i do have 3 mk1 astras at the mo, ive had a total of 9 to date. All from 1.2's to SR's and at the mo i have a A Reg 1.6 deisel a V Reg opel kadett 1.3 estate that is having a landrover V8 chassis put under it to make it the ultimate 4x4 :)and a opel kadett x reg 1.3SR salloon (very very rare) 75mm drop on 185 60 13" front and rear, but 13" alloys are 50mm in diameter smaller than 14's so a total of 100mm lower, in british racing green.

I will always have a MK1 untill… Read Full Review

Carly.'s Response to Richard, an astra addict!!.'s Review

Written on: 23/07/2003

can any one help plzzzzzz i need to find out how many silk violet ASTRA GTEs were made????
<br><br>if any one knows can u plz email me at s22_clh@hotmail.com wud b much appreciated thanks

“I've had one since they came out. All done up with...”

Written on: 06/12/2002 by Spuggy. (1 review written)

I've had one since they came out. All done up with vauxhall stickers and go faster stripes. BHP is brilliant with a motec exhaust and japanese exclusive engine chip. Plus two nitrous oxide boottles makes a class racer for the streets. To much NOS though and things start to fall off… Read Full Review

“I must say that the Vauxhall Astra mk1 GTE has to be...”

Written on: 01/10/2002 by boggy. (1 review written)

I must say that the Vauxhall Astra mk1 GTE has to be one of the best cars for exact handling. I have driven lots of customers cars (i own a Tuning Company-WWW.SPEEDSTYLE.CO.UK). and the GTE MK1 still does it for me after all these years and advances in technology.

Speed and pick up are damned good, but when you hit 4,500rpm -6,000rpm+ eat my dirt!!! Power boost valve and chip make it a nice little monster, had loads of fun toying with expensive "Fast??" cars including a RS Turbo!… Read Full Review

51800_King James.'s Response to boggy.'s Review

Written on: 18/11/2002

Good bit of inspiration that, i'm looking for a mk 1 astra to drop a 2.0 16 valve 20xe engine i've got in the making.

119010_Steve.'s Response to boggy.'s Review

Written on: 26/07/2003

The Mk1 Astra Gte Is very underated, yet is one of the best cars I have ever driven!

“If anyone has driven a good example of the mk1...”

Written on: 28/08/2002 by jonsey. (1 review written)

If anyone has driven a good example of the mk1 Vauxhall Astra GTE, they will understand the enjoyment of throwing this car around under its full potential, the control you feel while driving. for me there hasn't been a car manufactured since that comes close. No it's not as fast as my Impreza, but the balance is much better. Taking into consideration the age of the car, to keep a good example can be costly but when you drive away from the garage, the cost leaves your mind instantly.
The… Read Full Review

Neo2Joe.'s Response to 35250_jonsey.'s Review

Written on: 20/09/2002

My mate owns a good example of a mk1 gte and its just nuts how it sticks to the road with no trouble at all and the speeds it kicks out aint half bad, but there gettin really hard to find in good nick now so if you'v got one keep it in good nick and dont let it die!!