Evo Hosting, www.evohosting.co.uk Reviews

Evo Hosting, www.evohosting.co.uk - Ask a question now

“Best Customer Care.”

Written on: 09/06/2014 by marharr (1 review written)

Evo Hosting is the second hosting company we have used, and have done so for quite a few years, with no plan to leave them. We went to Evo Hosting as the last hosting company... one of UK's big ones were poor on support and generally not bothered. We decided to move to them after reading reviews and researching as much as we can, and simply they are better than what the reviews say in our eyes. Our company has three high volume websites, with another about to go live, and we have never (touch… Read Full Review

“Quick and Efficient Service. The Best!”

Written on: 18/11/2013 by Rufus76 (1 review written)

I have been with Evohosting for a few years and feel ashamed that I have not sent a review before now. Any minor problems or queries that we have had during the time with them have been resolved efficiently and quickly. It is great to deal with someone that you actually feel wants to help you and that you are not a hindrance. Emailed them on a Saturday morning with a minor query even though I knew support on that query was only available Monday -Friday. Guess what? They replied and sorted my… Read Full Review

“Fantastic - shared hosting that really works”

Written on: 18/10/2013

What drew me to Evo Hosting was a friend's website which loads ridiculously fast. I know the effort it takes to get sites to load that fast on a well-specced and tuned VPS. Evo sites are just as fast. I recently opened an account and moved all of my Wordpress sites there. I raised bunch of tickets all of which were answered quickly and effectively, so the lack of phone support is not an issue. One of my sites is currently a DDOS (denial of service attack) with a million requests every 24… Read Full Review

“Epic service”

Written on: 01/10/2013 by HamsterFangs (1 review written)

After doing a miguided upgrade of Wordpress my website was FUBAR. The guys at Evo sorted it out in double-quick time for me - I doubt any of our subscribers noticed any downtime. I'll be more carefull next time. Evo Hosting are to be Highly Recommended… Read Full Review

“The best customer service, worth every penny.”

Written on: 12/09/2013 by GreavesBestDesign (1 review written)

We've used Evo for a few years now and their support has always been wonderful. Recently our site was somehow corrupted and despite having no obligation to help, James from customer support dealt with the problem very quickly via email and was more then happy to help get the site back in shape. It's very tempting to sign up for budget or even free web hosting packages, but our experience as a company is it's just not worth it long-term. Evo are more then just a basic hosting provider, they… Read Full Review

“Insanely good company to deal with”

Written on: 23/04/2013 by hargrovescycles (1 review written)

After using 123-reg who I would NEVER use again we decided to go with Evo Hosting. Since then we've taken out 3 packages and passed on their details to a number of other connections who have also used them. They have helped us in areas that we would never have expected and they have gone beyond the call of duty fixing issues/migrating sites etc. Use these guys, seriously you wont regret it - the servers are FAST too, very happy with them. … Read Full Review

“Fantastic hosts”

Written on: 20/04/2013 by TheDogHouseBakery (1 review written)

We moved our site to Evohost after a terrible experience with out original design/hosting company. Our site uses Joomla. We dealt with Tim and we cannot praise both him and the company enough. They went far beyond the call of duty to ensure that our move went smoothly and we are very grateful for their help. Since then, we have had no problems at all with our site and no down time that we have been aware of. They provide exceptional service at very reasonable rates and were easy to contact and… Read Full Review

“Service that goes above and beyond...”

Written on: 14/04/2013

I have been an Evo Hosting customer for more than six years now. I opened my account in a hurry when I had to migrate some of my sites from another provider whose security had been compromised. Since then I have moved more and more of my business to Evo - because it just works. Of course anything that appears to "just work" the way Evo does, is obviously the result of hard and diligent work by those responsible behind the scenes. This morning (6am on a Sunday), I messed up, I over-wrote… Read Full Review

“Best Customer Service I Have Ever Experienced”

Written on: 09/04/2013

Such a fantastic company to deal with. I am purely a retailer with no time to read forums on how to complete techi tasks. From time to time their have been issues with the sites since launching in 2011 and my first port of call is always Evo. They pick up and answer emails within the hour and usual resolve the issues within the hour… Read Full Review

“VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED`”

Written on: 23/03/2013 by shanksdl (1 review written)

Great service, very helpful and on the ball. Quick turnaround… Read Full Review

“First rate customer service”

Written on: 21/03/2013 by wordpressharriet (1 review written)

This company is excellent. I joined EVOHOsting after they were recommended to me as a good host for WordPress websites. I did a lot of my own research before selecting them, and I'm pleased with my decision. When I started up I had no experience in hosting websites. Setup was straightforward and logical, their systems are user-friendly. Since building my own website, I've built several others for friends and clients. Given my good experience with EVO, I have used their services for all my… Read Full Review

“Great value, but no telephone support”

Written on: 08/03/2013

On 1st Mar we raised an issue with our website not working due to 503 errors, and on 8th Mar we definitely confirmed that our website was not working. After re-escalating to Evo on 8th Mar, we migrated the exact site to another hosting provider where we experienced no further 503 errors. With no phone contact support we are very frustrated with the service and are giving very serious consideration to taking our hosting elsewhere. We were experiencing serious 503 errors, which could have been… Read Full Review

“Made a professional web developer out of a complete newbie”

Written on: 06/03/2013 by stevegrove (1 review written)

I can only concur with all the praise already heaped upon the Evo-hosting team and their support. I started as a web developer two years ago and read a lot of reviews before selecting a first ISP and have never looked back since. Sure I deal with Namesco and 123-reg and other big players when I have to but that is only when a client comes to me with existing arrangements. I then almost always try to get them to switch to Evo because I get a level of service that I am completely happy with… Read Full Review

“Wouldn't use them again - VERY slow setup”

Written on: 20/01/2013 by robertja (5 reviews written)

If evo hosting read this and want to query/verify any of the below, they can contact me via Twitter. Links to my profile below. I currently have a basic Wordpress site hosted with them and this month, have decided to move away from them. I had previously read good things and decided to try them. In retrospect, I wish I'd stayed with one of my preferred webhosts - tsohost/34sp. It started very badly from the off. After I paid them instantly I was expecting an email within a couple of hours… Read Full Review

Catmcauliffe's Response to robertja's Review

Written on: 06/02/2013

Hi,

Firstly, I would like to thank you for your comments--I am glad to hear you are happy with our prices, hosting, and control panel.

However, you are incorrect about our accepted payment methods. While we use PayPal as our payment processor, customers do not need to have a PayPal account in order to pay us via credit or debit cards. We also accept Google Checkout, cheques, and postal orders.

We use PayPal as our payment processor because we have been unable to get a merchant account from a bank, a requirement for processing credit and debit cards with other processors. Also, without a merchant account, we cannot offer direct debit to our customers. While PayPal enables users to set up subscriptions, we had to disable this feature because we had approximately 100 customers who set up multiple subscriptions for a single service.

When we have tried to get a merchant account in the past, we were told by banks that they would not give a merchant account to a web hosting provider because the industry has an extremely high rate of fraud and chargebacks.

We periodically check with banks to see if their policies have changed, as we realise some of our customers would prefer to have an alternative payment processor.

Because fraud is such an issue in the web hosting industry, we manually review all orders before accepting them. As a result, it may take a while for some customers to receive their account details. While this is not ideal, we don't allow automatic setup because of all the issues fraudulent orders can cause. Aside from chargebacks, fraudulent orders can cause a multitude of issues; if a spammer signs up with stolen details, they can use a hosting account to send spam. When a spammer uses our hosting to send bulk emails, it can put the stability of the server at risk, as well as cause email issues for all of the other people hosted on the same server (the server will get blacklisted, leaving innocent users unable to send, and sometimes receive, email). As a result, we take fraudulent orders extremely seriously, which can sometime result in delays for legitimate users.

In most instances, orders are activated within minutes (except for overnight). The logs we have your account show you paid your invoice for your hosting account on 07/07/2012 at 15:24 and your order was accepted on 08/07/2012 at 19:39. Obviously, your order was not activated in a timely manner, for which I apologise. We dropped the ball, and we have taken steps to prevent this sort of delaying from occurring again in the future. However, it did not take 3 days for us to send you the details for your hosting account.

Also, you opened at ticket on 07/07/2012 at 19:55 and you received a reply on 09/07/2012 at 00:33. Your ticket was opened in the sales department, which is open from 09:00-18:00 Monday to Friday and our SLA guarantees a reply/resolution within 24 hours.

With respect to invoices, we don't send up a follow up email when invoices aren't paid immediately. For hosting accounts, an invoice is generated 7 days before payment is due. 3 days later, people with upaid invoices receive a reminder. When an invoice is overdue, a reminder is sent on the 1st, 4th, and 7th days, as the account will be suspended when the invoice is a week overdue. If a customer pays their invoices on time, they only receive 2 emails about the invoice.

Some customers feel they are reminded too frequently, while others claim we don't remind them enough. We have tried to strike a balance which will please the majority of our 6,000+ active customers, a feat which obviously isn't always easy.

When we received your feedback in July, we took steps to remedy some of the issues you mentioned, and this review will undoubtedly spark additional changes.

All the best,
Caitlin McAuliffe
Co-Managing Director
Evohosting Ltd.

Robertja's reply to Catmcauliffe's Comment

Written on: 17/02/2013

Thanks for replying, few companies do actually take the time to do this, or choose to give a copy and pasdte reply.

Granted, you say "most" orders are activated quickly, but in this instance, my order wasn't, hence my frustration - I'm speaking about my experience. If my site had been for a paying customer I'd have gotten a lot of stick and arkward questions asked due to the delay, basically a lot of uneeded stress. I did post a tweet after my account was finally activated, in total it took 1 day 6 hours, this is a long time in my opinion :)

I've just looked back through the original emails, ticket #HLL-157771 and the explanation for the delayed account setup was the fact it was a weekend and you person who deals with orders was not in the country at the time (support ticket #HLL-157771) :) I quote you response:

"All our orders have to go through a manual fraud check which takes some time; unfortunately as well, because it's a weekend and the person who normally deals with orders is not in the country at the moment, I have had to deal with them outside my normal working hours".

I mean that's fair enough, if you have to manually create things yourself and you only have a single person who can deal with orders, but it's certainly not ideal. For one, I feel the pain to the poor soul manually logging into PayPal to verify payments for you quoted 6000+ customers, that's certainly a full job alone :) However, having to wait so long is very frustrating.

I'm well aware that getting a merchant account can be challenging, but you may want to look around at your competition - I come into contact with a lot of hosts and being a full web developer, have to setup accounts for customers. Last week alone I used 7 different web hosts for customers. I have yet to come across a single hosting company that does accept credit cards on their sites and will not setup accounts pretty much instantly. In this respect, you're unique. I'm sure you do allow payment via cheque and postal order, but surely that would be even slower than be fore and would require even more manual checking? That is of little, if no benefit in my opinion.

Either way, I decided to move 34sp for the hosting. In contrast, I paid instantly on their site, on a Saturday morning using my credit card and minutes later recieved an email with all my account settings and login details. They are a big established host and as I paid on their site directly, had a merchant account.

I digress, bar the issue with setup and billing the actual hosting and your control panel was perfectly fine. Howerver, by forcing PayPal unpon me was apian to be honest. Each month I got a suspension email from yourselves. If you do have to use PayPal, at the very least allow a subscription payment to be used so it's not so manual.

No hard feelings, I'm a web developer by trade and expect things like hosting to be available straight away, especially if I've made an instant payment. Each to their own I guess. The actual quality of your shared hosting is good, which is more important and something a lot of hosts I've used definitely cannot say.

“The best service I have received”

Written on: 18/11/2012

I have had an ecommerce store for many years, and after having problems with my old hosts, i moved to evo hosting. Everything was setup and transfered very quickly. I have had a few problems, but these have soon beed rectified by evo where required. I have always had a quick reponse to any questions I may have had. Cannor fault the service in any way… Read Full Review

“First Class”

Written on: 07/11/2012 by AndyJamesWells (1 review written)

Evohosting is a first class service. I have tried many other domain name and hosting companies but nothing comes close to Evohosting. The staff are friendly and always happy to help at no extra cost. I have had several issues, by my own doing, and they have helped get things back on track. Domain names and hosting is set up quickly and the software that is easily installed is a plenty. Cant speak highly of these guys (and gals)… Read Full Review

“takes ages to set up”

Written on: 29/08/2012

Not a good start, I am still waiting for them to set up my hosting account I purchased 3 days ago, so now im waiting for an email response…. other companies usually have you up and running the same day. Im also getting billed for a year 365 days since payment even though its been 3 days and im still not set up so ive paid for 3 days hosting I havnt even got !!! If you are in a rush to set up your site don’t go here. … Read Full Review

Evohosting's Comment

Written on: 03/09/2012

Accounts are setup the same day unless the payment didn't go through or there was something mysterious about the order. Please contact us so we can look into this.

“Been With Evohosting For Ages”

Written on: 13/05/2012 by wunderful (1 review written)

I have always hosted my websites at Evohosting for many years now and I have to say that I can never find fault in their service. I did my research and found that other hosts were very happy to offer you "unlimited" on everything BUT none of the others had the hard-working attitude and attention to detail in support issues as evo has. When they first started out they bent over backwards to start up what is now a truly inspirational business and that standard of care and appreciation for every… Read Full Review

“Honestly wish I found these guys earlier”

Written on: 07/05/2012 by smoothcannon (1 review written)

Ive been with a few hosts over the years I even had a dedicated server but this has been the best host yet at a tenner a month it has been more stable than my £160 a month dedicated I have only ever had one problem where the billing system didnt register my payment and the site was down due to non payment a quick tweet to the guys and it was back up straight away. Everything is dead easy to use they have the tried and tested C-panel to use the only thing I dont like is having to have a main… Read Full Review

“Excellent”