Gamo Hunter 890(.177 cal.) Reviews

• Accuracy

• Handling

Gamo Hunter 890(.177 cal.) - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Gamo Hunter 890(.177 cal.)

Gamo Hunter 890(.177 cal.)
Gamo Hunter 890(.177 cal.)

“The Gamo Hunter 890 Is A Winner!”

Written on: 07/06/2013 by WSellers3 (1 review written)

This rifle has a bit more heft (and the same power plant) as the Gamo Shadow 1000. It is in the traditional wood and steel configuration of 2006-2007. It has been discontinued in the United States for about a year. My version is in .177. I can consistently hit the bullseye at 25 yards with this rifle and my scope of choice, the BSA 2X7X32 AO. The beech stock is beautiful, being comfortable and warm against the cheek when the rifle is shouldered. Overall weight comes in at just about 7… Read Full Review

“I purchased the Gamo 890 Hunter with 3-12 x 50 scope...”

Written on: 24/04/2009 by BRP (1 review written)

I purchased the Gamo 890 Hunter with 3-12 x 50 scope from Cabelas on-line for $209. When the package arrived, I found that the scope was not in the box, only the the rifle and rings.

I called Cabelas and spoke with a customer service person who advised me they did not stock the particular scope that comes with the rifle as it's a package deal direct from Gamo to them. She confirmed Gamo would ship the scope to me direct and I should have it within a week.

While waiting for the scope, I… Read Full Review

“A cracking rifle for hunting, it can take all the...”

Written on: 25/01/2009 by the hat (1 review written)

A cracking rifle for hunting, it can take all the knocks u get in the field, easy to maintain and always reliable. Beautifully built rifle with great handling. Wonderfully accurate and packs a big punch. Can kill most small game at 50 yards. Could be a bit lighter, but it's the best spring gun I've owned… Read Full Review

“ Bought my example of this rifle on line for $100.00...”

Written on: 14/05/2008 by James Butler (18 reviews written)

Bought my example of this rifle on line for $100.00 +S&H. No scope but nice scope stop. Ordered two.A friend also wanted one.One thing that has always bothered me about Gamo products is their inconsistent quality. When you get a good one it can be very good and when you get a bad one "ugh!"My example is a good one my friends less so.Cocking cycle is smooth as butter ,a real surprise.Fit and finish? Pretty good overall and for what I paid for it excellent! Out of the box this gun shot straight… Read Full Review

“The Gamo Hunter 890 is an awesome pellet gun, i hunt...”

Written on: 29/09/2007 by ches2991 (1 review written)

The Gamo Hunter 890 is an awesome pellet gun, i hunt with it instead of my .22lr… Read Full Review

“In general, it could be an excellent mid-price rifle...”

Written on: 04/03/2007 by Expert Shooter (1 review written)

In general, it could be an excellent mid-price rifle if Gamo would simply provide a full metal scope stop rather than the inexpensive (cheap) plastic one which comes with the rifle. In my experience, the scope moves about 6 mm after every 25-30 shots, all because the plastic scope stop deforms and doesn't stop the movement. This is frustrating and requires continuous loosening, moving the scope back into position, re-tightening, and re-sighting. Repeated contact with Gamo customer support was… Read Full Review

368106_Penland's Response to Expert Shooter's Review

Written on: 22/05/2008

I had the same frustrating issue with the scope creeping rearwards after about 20 shots. Put the gun in the closet years ago and fell back on a Daisy pump for shooting squirrels off my Mother-In-Law's bird feeder. I plan on seeing if I can find a resolution with some of the 1 piece scope rings/mount suggestions that I have found on other comments on this site. Rifle is also somewhat heavy and loud also. I have centerfire rifles that feel lighter than this thing.

“I can't honestly recommend this Gamo Hunter 890 based...”

Written on: 25/06/2006 by doug24 (5 reviews written)

I can't honestly recommend this Gamo Hunter 890 based on all the problems I've encountered. For over 250.00 you should not be subjected to buying parts prior to even firing the rifle.
Will comment later after new scope mounts are installed… Read Full Review

Sluggo's Response to doug24's Review

Written on: 27/11/2006

Why are you looking down the barrel of a loaded gun?
<br/>When cocking the rifle you should not put the stock butt on the floor and stand over the barrel.
<br/>I agree about the trigger on the Gamo Hunter 890 because they suck, but they will break in after a while.
<br>
<br/>If accuracy is a problem then it might be the way you are holding it.
<br/>Unlike firearm, springers DO NOT need to be held tight. Let it recoil.
<br/>
<br>I had made this mistake. I was holding the gun tight and my shots were all over the place. Now I rest the fore-end on the palm of my hand and I don't put the butt of the rifle too tight on my shoulder.
<br>
<br/>Now I get 1 hole groups at 20 yards. Before they where like 5" groups at 50 yards.
<br>I hope this helps.

Bertie's Response to doug24's Review

Written on: 25/06/2008

Surely, a pellet is loaded AFTER cocking and any airgun owner who even THINKS of looking down a loaded barrel is not fit to own the weapon.<br/><br/>

Sluggo's Response to doug24's Review

Written on: 23/06/2008

I have the BKL 2 Pc. High, Fixed, Doublestrap Scope Mount
<br/>These mounts are really good for the 890.
<br/>I haven't had any issue with them.
<br/>They are smaller then the rail so you will have to put the screws in reverse and use the small metal plate to stretch them to size.
<br/>Plate comes with the mounts.
<br/>Very tight fit.

368106_Penland's Response to doug24's Review

Written on: 22/05/2008

Had the same issue of scope creep. The scope stop and rings aren't very good quality - still searching for a replacement based some of the suggestions that I came across in the other reviews of this rifle.

“The Gamo Hunter 890 is a great gun for targets, or...”

Written on: 01/10/2005 by squirrel hunter (1 review written)

The Gamo Hunter 890 is a great gun for targets, or small game hunting. It has the look and feel of a 22. The only bad thing about this gun are the scope mounts. After a couple of shots they move and you have to sight it in all over again. I bought a Beeman one piece steel scope mount, and I haven't had to re sight it since… Read Full Review

“I bought this Gamo Hunter 890(.177 cal.) Air Rifle on...”

Written on: 17/07/2005 by andrey (1 review written)

I bought this Gamo Hunter 890(.177 cal.) Air Rifle on sale for $180 without scope. I have shot a lot before with the Gamo Shadow 1000 which is a very good rifle. The Hunter 890 has a better scope mount base and wood stock. Accuracy is the same as Gamo Shadow 1000. The only difference I expect for the price is the life of the spring which I will know after one year of shooting. If bought for $260 I do not think it worth its money but for $180 - absolutely - better than the Gamo Shadow 1000 or… Read Full Review

Arkansas Man's Response to andrey's Review

Written on: 20/10/2005

I would like to know where you purchased the 890 without a scope.

Marvin1Schulz's Response to andrey's Review

Written on: 30/11/2007

There are a few web sites that sell the 890 without the scope, one being Pyramydair air, they have it for $189.00 without the scope and $279.00 with the scope, I just purchased one today at Cobra air.com for $17400 with a 3x12x50 scope, , another one that has it without a scope is airwarehouse.com, they also have it with a 2x7x40 scope or a 3x12x50 scope. Marvin PS. I'm not the one that wrote the review you commented on, I 'm just commenting on your comment.

“Gamo Hunter 890(.177 cal.)- I hope you are reading...”

Written on: 06/02/2005 by jh74136 (1 review written)

Gamo Hunter 890(.177 cal.)- I hope you are reading this article before you purchase this rifle. If you must have a Gamo product, stick with a cheaper model, don't pay very much. I think they just dressed this one up and placed a higher price tag on it. I do not consider myself an air rifle expert, but I am an active sportsmen, and fisherman. I know that in order to have fun with a hobby you need to have pretty good equipment. I found this product to be too heavy, and bulky. It was not a… Read Full Review

Andrey's Response to jh74136's Review

Written on: 17/07/2005

Not at all. The recoil and vibration described are specific for all gamo breaking barrel air rifles. Hunter 890s has a good dovetail for scope mount and power enough with little cocking effort.

☆☆☆☆☆

“My daughter bought the Gamo Hunter 890 piece of junk...”

Written on: 06/11/2004 by Lawdog (5 reviews written)

My daughter bought the Gamo Hunter 890 piece of junk to help control pests in and around her rabbit shed. First off the Gamo scope broke before sight-in was complete. Gamo called it "user" problem and wouldn't replace it. Then within 6 months the rifle started going thru seals like they were free. Still under warranty but Gamo refused to honour it saying we must have miss-used the rifle. Velocity was never any where near the 1,000 fps. advertised by Gamo. With the lightest weight pellets… Read Full Review

“The Gamo Hunter 890 is a great begginer gun for...”

Written on: 04/06/2004 by A r c A n g e L (2 reviews written)

The Gamo Hunter 890 is a great begginer gun for someone who is serious about getting into airguns. Has great power for a .177 springer. It will knock any thing out of the trees in your backyard. If you are only shooting to 20 yards this is a great gun. There is so much creap in the trigger. It's pretty loud too… Read Full Review

“Stiction, if I spelled it correctly, is where the...”

Written on: 13/01/2004 by gammouser69 (1 review written)

Stiction, if I spelled it correctly, is where the crosshairs do not move all the way when the turret is adjusted. My friend and I both bought the 890 and when it is sighted in, is very accurate. We can almost consistently hit targets the size of a US quarter at about 40 meters. The scope seemed to stick when changing for distance. After adjusting the turret, the impact groups would slowly migrate across the target area before final point. We had to lightly tap the turrets to help it out… Read Full Review

“This airgun was amongst some 10 other airguns that I...”

Written on: 28/12/2003 by CVanMeter (8 reviews written)

This airgun was amongst some 10 other airguns that I purchased that fell into the price bracket between $150 to $300. These included a RWS-34, RWS-48, BSA SuperSport 177 & 22 as well as several chinese "clones" of these rifles. With a purchase price of $250 US which included a BSA Contender 3-12 x40 scope and mounts. The Gamo would come in well behind the RWS and BSA Airguns and only beat out the worst of the Chinese "Clone" airguns that ran 1/2 the price of the Gamo. The bright side of… Read Full Review

Gammouser69's Response to CVanMeter's Review

Written on: 13/01/2004

How does it fail compared to the others? In accuracy, weight, size, feel, trigger pull? what? Is the problem the BSA scope? What pellets were used? You say it is hard to get replacement parts. I say, quit banging it around in your trunk and you won't need the parts to begin with.

James Butler's Response to CVanMeter's Review

Written on: 07/06/2008

Greetings;
<br/> Your experience with your Gamo 890 mirrors my experience with the Gamo Big Cat.Tried two of them.Thank God I bought them locally so I could return them-"which I did".My experience with a Gamo 440 was just the opposit.It's the best under $125 rifles I own.Gamo's QC is almost as bad as our oreintal freinds. That's the problem with Gamo's.That's my 2/C worth.

Cvanmeter's Response to CVanMeter's Review

Written on: 13/01/2004

Gammouser69,
<br>
<br>Interesting reply. To answer your questions. A variety of a dozen or so pellets were tried as I do with all my airguns. I found Beeman Ramjets to be as accurate as any other in this gun. My review was not concerning the scope, just the argun itself. I had several scopes on it "RWS-350, Bushnell Trophy" but accuracy was not the airguns worst qualities. Spring Twang and general fit and finish were it's setbacks compaired to others in, or near it's price point. Go to forums that are specificaly oriented toward airguns and you will see that the issue with obtaining parts for Gammo models is common. If you read my original comments the gun became a "Trunk Gun" because of how little I valued it. I eventualy gave it away. I never stated anything about it breaking so your little remark had no point. If it would have become broken and needed repair, I would have thrown it away.
<br>But I am glad that you're happy with yours.

“I had my 890 bought as a birthday gift, (I had hinted...”

Written on: 15/12/2003 by The Turn (1 review written)

I had my 890 bought as a birthday gift, (I had hinted heavily) and was delighted with its solid (if a little heavy) feel. The supplied scope is quite adequate although a 4x32 would be better, but anyone who feels that a high power scope is necessary may have seen too many sniper films. The rifle settled down after few hundred pellets; used Gamo's own match to 'run it in'. Bisley Magnums were my pellet of choice in the UK but not available here. I have a little gripe with the quality of the O… Read Full Review

“The Gamo hunter 890(.177 cal.) is an excellent air...”

Written on: 26/09/2003 by rzacker (1 review written)

The Gamo hunter 890(.177 cal.) is an excellent air rifle for the money,have used others,crossman,sheridan etc… Read Full Review

“It is wonderful rifle...!”

Written on: 13/09/2003 by cheriyadri (1 review written)

It is wonderful rifle...!… Read Full Review

“ A friend of mine has a GAMO 890, and I borrowed it to...”

Written on: 12/03/2003 by Milty. (1 review written)

A friend of mine has a GAMO 890, and I borrowed it to go shooting. It's light, powerful, and is very accurate. It came with a BSA 4-12x50mm scope, scope mounts, and scope stop. The stock is extremely nice and the barrel is nicely blued. This rifle is nice looking and very fun to shoot. I think this package is a steal for only $259. After I bought my RWS 54, 22 cal. I said I would never buy a 177 cal. again, but I was so impressed by it,I'm ordering my GAMO 890 tomarrow. If I only had two… Read Full Review

115270_Bob.'s Response to 79298_Milty.'s Review

Written on: 13/07/2003

I disagree completely. This was very incorrect with aspect to the functioning of the rifle. This was very unhelpful and is probably doing more harm than good being posted on the internet.

The Turn's Response to 79298_Milty.'s Review

Written on: 15/12/2003

Bob from England - perhaps you might qualify your rather negative comments?
<br>Disagreeing is fine, provided you explain what aspect(s) you disagree with. We can all make broad statements, but I want to know specifically why you dislike the rifle so much.
<br>I own a Hunter 890 (.177) and although the build quality leaves a little to be desired (to be exact; the stock), I can't argue with its power, or accuracy now its had about 500 pellets through it.

“The first time I pulled the trigger on the Gamo Hunter...”

Written on: 10/10/2002 by odied. (1 review written)

The first time I pulled the trigger on the Gamo Hunter 890, I fell in love with this rifle. Very accurate at 20 to 30 yards (RWS super point Meister Kulgen pellets). From bullseyes to berries on tree branches, this rifle is one of the best. It took some time for me to get used to the 2 stage trigger preventing myself from impatiently snatching the trigger and forcing the shot which led to a missed target at 3" to the right. I had been a Crosman fan since childhood and after receiving the Gamo… Read Full Review

89875_Lcm.'s Response to odied.'s Review

Written on: 17/04/2003

For those who don't know it, it would help if you could describe what a "two stage trigger" means.
<br>Thanks

Brp's Response to odied.'s Review

Written on: 24/04/2009

I found this review helpful because the reviewer advised on a better scope mount to use with the rifle.

Marvin1Schulz's Response to odied.'s Review

Written on: 10/12/2007

No the 890 does not have the ( spring Twang ) that most springers have, at least mine doesn't.

Blueberry's Response to odied.'s Review

Written on: 01/11/2003

does the hunter 890s have that loud spring noise...if this question is up twice its because i didnt see it posted the first time...thanks

Blueberry's Response to odied.'s Review

Written on: 01/11/2003

about the recoil on the 890s...i understand there is quite a bit of recoil but does it make that loud spring sound?

Osufan's Response to odied.'s Review

Written on: 01/09/2003

Was the ring change because it was inaccurate or because of scope slippage. I've noticed on mine the scope and the steel block pop off the reciever about every 15 shots. That forces my to loosen the scope,put it back in place, mount it back on the reciever, then resight the gun in again. Any other suggestions?

94096_Joel.'s Response to odied.'s Review

Written on: 01/05/2003

Where can I get that 1 piece scope mount?

“THE 890S HUNTER BY GAMO IS A VERY ACCURATE AND WELL...”

Written on: 16/09/2002 by ANDRE T. (1 review written)

THE 890S HUNTER BY GAMO IS A VERY ACCURATE AND WELL PUT TOGETHER AIRGUN. I CAN TAP TEN INCH TARGETS AT 50 YARDS AND SHOOT VERY TIGHT GROUPS AT 30 YARDS. THIS GUN LOOKS AND FEELS LIKE A CENTER FIRE RIFLE. I USE IT FOR SMALL GAME HUNTING AND GETTING RID OF PESTS IN AND MY PROPERTY. I GIVE IT A 10… Read Full Review