United Airlines Reviews

United Airlines
United Airlines

Showing star rating of:

(cancel refinement)

“Much better than other reviews suggest”

Written on: 12/06/2014 by kirkdene (3 reviews written)

When I looked at the existing reviews, I wondered what we had let ourselves in for. We need not have worried. We flew San Antonio to Dulles and Dulles to Boston. On both nobody checked the size of my carry on bag. On the Dulles flight some people brought on bigger bags, and were given labels and were allowed to have there bags in the hold with no charge-the bags were at the planeside fro them to collect as we got off. Staff friendly and efficient. Plane clean. Leg room a bit restricted for… Read Full Review

Brianfargo's Response to kirkdene's Review

Written on: 16/06/2014

Lier! United is horrible.

Kirkdene's reply to Brianfargo's Comment

Written on: 16/06/2014

In what context do you think Im lying?
If you care to look at Trip Advisor you would know that my reviews are honest and unbiased.
In terms of these flights, having read the damning reviews, I sent a rather curt email to my travel agent asking why on earth they had used such a rubbish airline. They came back saying they had used them many times and didn’t have a problem.
I then asked little sis who spends her hols in USA so will have had experience: she said staff not as friendly as BA but shed not had a problem with delay even on the flight theyd had to book at short notice back to UK for a family emergency. So I sat in the departure lounge at San Antonio, in fear of this flight.
So what am I lying about?
The flights- I can show you the boarding cards.
The departure gate monitors: well I did see them
The punctuality? Check the details Ill give you the flight nos
The friendliness of staff? Have YOU travelled on Aer Lingus or Ryanair?
The carryon baggage? mine was actually too big according to their statistics, but they didn’t force me to use a gauge to check the way easyjet and Ryanair do.
Other people with bigger bags that I would have checked in, got labels and put the bag at the end of the walkway on to the plane, and were able to collect as they got off. Im sorry if youve never seen this: I was shocked given what I read
The planes/mechanical problems/punctuality? The San Antonio to Dulles plane was a small one, but there was enough leg room for me. It was adequately clean, and the food on offer was OK. It left on time
The Dulles to Boston plane was bigger and just as clean. The hold up was due to some emergency light in the cockpit
And incidentally, I hadn’t understood how to get my etickets and the travel agent suggested I phone. I GOT A HUMAN BEING, without having to go through lengthy menus. She solved my problem quickly.
So if youd like to tell me why you think Im lying that would be good. And if youd like to identify yourself I will offer you the chance to discuss this matter in court as you have just libelled me.

“A Wonderful Airline”

Written on: 01/01/2014 by Janet20 (3 reviews written)

Such a wonderful airline to fly with. Hospitable staff, friendly crew, superb in-flight meals, fantastic in-flight entertainment and ultra-luxe seating! I have flown with the airline in the past and I surely had a great time aboard its flights… Read Full Review

Catinou's Response to Janet20's Review

Written on: 02/01/2014

You have to be joking! Or maybe work for the airline? Our trip was on Jan 1st 2014 and - It started with the online check in when we discovered that although we were a party of 2 people we were seated two rows apart. The only available 2 seats together were the last at the back next to the toilets -unless we wanted to pay $119 each to sit in spaces with a little extra room. The luggage allowance is the usual miserly 23 kgs, with a case measurement restriction thrown in for good measure. The cost of an extra bag would be $100 compared to £39 last year with BA.

At the airport United loading is divided into numbered groups, printed on the boarding passes, and being in row 40, as far back as you can sit in the plane, we thought they would load the back passengers first - no! They started with the usual First and Business class etc. then loaded from the front to the back! This caused a worse than usual "scrum" in the aisles as passengers searched for empty lockers for hand luggage and sorted themselves out, blocking the aisle, whilst we were told to board as quickly as possible.

The 757 has to be the most uncomfortable squashed plane to travel on with narrow seats, little leg room and just 2 rows of 3 seats across and not enough space for hand luggage (an announcement said " we notice a lot of passengers have coats and there is not enough room for coats and hand luggage in the lockers - it was 1st January flying from Washington to London so yes, we had coats!!")- even worse than the Qantas flight we had to and from Hong Kong and we thought that was a bad experience!

Sitting in the rear seats , which are known to have no adjustment it was fairly disconcerting to be pushed in the back every time a crew member shoved something behind my seat, with no apology. The plane is so small that every time one of the several overweight stewards or passengers went by I was knocked on the shoulder by their hips.

The service is appalling, the seats uncomfortable and the food terrible.

Meals - offered beef cannelloni - actually served what tasted like a cheese and spinach dish.
Coffee was served to most passengers, including my husband, sitting next to me and the guy in the window seat, but as moving the trolley to allow passengers returning from the toilet was more important than finishing serving coffee after the meal, the fourth trolley move then seemed to mean the trolley HAD to go to the other end and was not seen again!

When a coffee was requested from another steward about 10 minutes later ( he was collecting empty coffee cups!) he said he didn't "mind" serving it if I told him how I wanted it - 2 hours later I gave up waiting and took my painkillers without a drink. Ignorance and surliness seemed to be the order of the day - in spite of being welcomed on board over the loud speaker system at least 5 times before and after take off. Although, the stewards spent a lot of time talking loudly and laughing even louder in the galley behind us and the "landing announcement" included the usual " thank you for flying with United" but with the added " it's been fun!" added - not for the passengers it wasn't.

Although we were offered water several times during the 6.5 hour flight, you are charged for anything other than a soft drink and even those consisted of one can between 2 people poured into the small plastic cups - so much for hydration on a long haul flight.

If good money is paid to the airline they should be able to get some of the things right, suffice to say this is the first and absolutely the last time we will be flying with United airlines.

We were warned by several frequent travellers to avoid United Airlines travel but it was slightly cheaper when booking so we tried it. It's back to BA from now on - more comfortable planes, more leg room and certainly greater attendance and service. - all the " welcome a boards" and "have a nice flight" let alone the " thank you for flying Uniteds" don't make up for the dreadful journey which spoiled our annual trip to see our family, including our only grandchildren.

“No Big Issues”

Written on: 15/08/2013

San Juan to Manchester UK via Newark on 10 August. Both flights on time 737 from San Juan to Newark at bit cramped but 757 to Manchester much better. Only snacks for purchase on first leg but good food and plenty of complimentary soft drinks on Newark to Manchester. Flight crew good on both legs, the only minus was the pedantic check in assistant at san Jaun who made us change items from one case to the other because one was 1 lb overweight[the other case was 2 lbs under!)… Read Full Review

“May with customer service was fantastic ”

Written on: 06/06/2013 by kevans12 (1 review written)

I was having major difficulties with some previous flight reciepts that I had booked for my company. May was very open to hearing what I had to say and was very considerate and willing to suggest many options for what I could do. She helped me along the way and made sure she explained everything clearly to me so I could understand what the issues were. She REALLY cared and really wanted to help me. She made it an easy process for me, and I want to thank her!… Read Full Review

“Thanks to Lizzy V050177 ”

Written on: 14/01/2013 by asrizkin (1 review written)

Lizzy made my reservation for international flight. She is professional, polite, did a great job. Thank you Lizzy V050177. Sofia Rizkin… Read Full Review

“they are good”

Written on: 22/06/2012 by dannyboy65 (2 reviews written)

i don't know why ya people are so mean, i had no problems with them never ever and i have about a dozen flights with united......anyway, i think they are good. still i gave them 4 out of 5 because the service on board could be a lot better!… Read Full Review

“Reading the reviews below I feel I have to give a...”

Written on: 07/05/2010

Reading the reviews below I feel I have to give a differnt story. I fly long haul with UA every year and my experience has always been good. When a bag was lost it was delivered to my house the next day, when I missed a flight they rebooked me for no cost and even upgraded me. I have had several no cost upgrades and when my son was ill on a flight they couldn't do enough for us. I always choose to fly with them and have found their in flight staff to be very helpful… Read Full Review

“SEEN REVIEWS BEFORE WAS A BIT WORRIED BUT NO NEED.ON...”

Written on: 31/10/2009

SEEN REVIEWS BEFORE WAS A BIT WORRIED BUT NO NEED.ON WAY OUT NO DELAYS POLITE CREW, GREAT FLIGHT ,RETURN TRIP ALL 5 OF US WERE UPGRADED "" EVEN MORE LEG ROOM " WOULD RECOMMEND TO OTHERS… Read Full Review

“This was my first encounter with this airline, and my...”

Written on: 12/10/2009

This was my first encounter with this airline, and my experience was favorable. The flight arrived ahead of schedule, and retrieving my baggage was a breeze. I am unable to comment on the quality of food as I did not purchase any of the available items… Read Full Review

“I traveled on United Flight 953 from Washington Dulles...”

Written on: 24/08/2009

I traveled on United Flight 953 from Washington Dulles (IAD) to Phoenix,AZ (PHX). The checkin process was friendly, i checked a bag and that was 15 dollars if you pay your fees online, $20 in the airport. United is a hub at Washington Dulles so it is quite busy. I did get through security and checkin early, I got to gate D6 in IAD , there was no UA gate agents there when I arrived, I like to get through early so I wont miss my flight.

The plane left the gate on time and we were off to… Read Full Review

“I have flown with United Airlines for a few years now...”

Written on: 06/07/2009 by jcjamieson (2 reviews written)

I have flown with United Airlines for a few years now and I have always had great service from booking to landing !!
After reading all the negative reports I feel I have just got to say that every flightI have had has been OK. I usually have 5 return flights from the UK to the USA anually and I have always had friendly, efficient service all the way… Read Full Review

“I booked a last minute flight on priceline.com for a...”

Written on: 26/05/2009

I booked a last minute flight on priceline.com for a memorial day weekend trip from san antonio to colorado. I will say that for the price and last minute booking, I couldnt have asked for better travel. The United Airlines flight transition was easy both directions and the service was exactly what I expected for the price. I would definently book with this airline again… Read Full Review

“As usual, United Airlines provided excellent service,...”

Written on: 27/01/2009

As usual, United Airlines provided excellent service, on time, courteous and at a reasonable price. This recent trip was LHR-IAD-GIG-IAD-LHR over 6 days, all good flights in economy.

I know anyone can have a bad experience, but I've flown United for 10 years now and never had a bad experience, even when I've had flights canceled or delayed… Read Full Review

“Great fast checkin, very comfortable try's to meet...”

Written on: 08/10/2008 by jnjd (1 review written)

Great fast checkin, very comfortable try's to meet your every need. Love United Airlines, I will continue to use them. Only downside turbulence… Read Full Review

“I've flown with them before from Des moines to Chicago...”

Written on: 05/07/2008

I've flown with them before from Des moines to Chicago and then Chicago to Amsterdam, and I didn't have any problems. It looks like they have more problems with flights staying inside the states instead of international flights… Read Full Review

“We missed our flight in Las Vegas (our fault) and were...”

Written on: 20/04/2008 by helenfrances (1 review written)

We missed our flight in Las Vegas (our fault) and were worried we would miss our connection from San Francisco to Heathrow but United staff got us on to the next flight and we caught our connection and our baggage arrived in Heathrow with us. Thank you united. Economy seats are cramped
The air-hostess uniforms could be smarter.
High rating because we got home without being delayed. Generally good value for money… Read Full Review

“I have flown with a few airlines and this is pretty...”

Written on: 16/06/2007 by Firstclassorbust (1 review written)

I have flown with a few airlines and this is pretty good. The cabin was nice and the fact that they give you something to watch and listen to is also good. The flight attendants were nice and they gave me the whole can of Mountain Dew! Flight was on time and the airplane was clean. Overall good… Read Full Review

“Overall, we were satisfied with the airline, service...”

Written on: 05/05/2007 by paulyn (1 review written)

Overall, we were satisfied with the airline, service and the flight in general. Clean and comfortable plane. We also flew to San Francisco, Las Vegas then back to Australia and have no complaints at all. The fare was the cheapest I could find and would fly with United again, also would recommend to friends… Read Full Review

“My experience on United Airlines has been excellent,...”

Written on: 04/06/2006 by mayju (1 review written)

My experience on United Airlines has been excellent, although I often hear people complain about them. Our flights were on time, and though the food was not spectacular (but what do people expect? Just think about the number of meals distributed in one day among just United - they do a great job) it was a great experience. People should really consider the way United is dedicated to safety in all of its manifestations. What I really appreciate is the professional staff. The attendants were… Read Full Review

“I flew United Airlines in November 2004, firstly from...”

Written on: 23/07/2005 by khepri (2 reviews written)

I flew United Airlines in November 2004, firstly from London to San Francisco and then on to Hawaii. The return journey was via LA rather than San Fran.

Given that it was both the first time I'd flown since 1990 and been on a wide body plane, it came as a bit of a shock to see such good service. The London -San Fran flight left 10 minutes early (not common I understand) and economy was way better than United brand themselves. Don't get me wrong, economy isn't 1st class so don't expect sofa's… Read Full Review

Kinell's Response to khepri's Review

Written on: 08/09/2005

I flew with United Airlines on may 27 from London to New York (JFK) and agree that all was fine with the flight/times/ and food .
<br>My big disapointment came on arrival at JFK, where i discovered my luggage had not arrived on my flight .To add insult to injury nobody from UA. seemed in the least bit interested in my plight! They couldn't trace my baggage and when they did , 24 hours later,... they then informed me they couldn't contact anyone to get it sent on to me??? Eventualy after FOUR DAYS' it turned up ,but the thing that sticks in my mind was the complete disinterest shown by everyone at UA. On my arrival home I wrote a letter of complaint dated 27th June 2005,and received a letter on the 11th July from UA telling me they would look into my comments. I'm still waiting,!!! and it;s now September the 8th.2005. Somebody at UA;s customer services needs a rocket up their @*#,and that.s being polite!!!