Gamo 220 Hunter Combo .177 Reviews

Gamo 220 Hunter Combo .177
Gamo 220 Hunter Combo .177

“OLD FAITHFUL...”

Written on: 08/06/2012

I purchased my GAMO 200 HUNTER over 12 years ago and it has been in my air-gun collection since. I had bought other air rifles in the past and also have gotten rid of a few of them, but this GAMO 220 HUNTER is still in my collection. Yeah, it has a few scars, dings, and cosmetic issues, but for the most part, this air rifle has delivered reliabilty, accuracy, and fun over the many years that I have owned it. Great rifle all in all. SIGHTS The PROS to this air rifle are that it has a… Read Full Review

“Great Rifle! This has been the best rifle I have...”

Written on: 15/12/2009

Great Rifle! This has been the best rifle I have owned. Doves are very easy to kill with the Gamo Hunter 220. The rifle works best with Gamo palets I have shot quarters at over 30yds time after time. The scope is very simple to adjust. So Far so good.

Cons.
Kind of heavy… Read Full Review

“The Gamo 220 Hunter Combo .177 is very light weight...”

Written on: 19/06/2009

The Gamo 220 Hunter Combo .177 is very light weight and powerful… Read Full Review

“The Gamo 220 Hunter Combo .177 is an awesome gun. I...”

Written on: 10/02/2009

The Gamo 220 Hunter Combo .177 is an awesome gun. I have shot through almost everything I have shot at. Nothing to can stop this gun except 2/8 inch of steel. Great accuracy without scope. Great penetration power. My sights broke off within a week. Poor handling most likely, but also poor quality in the sights… Read Full Review

“All in all, i love the Gamo 220 Hunter Combo air...”

Written on: 25/11/2008

All in all, i love the Gamo 220 Hunter Combo air rifle. It shoots straight in the ranges that i've tried it in. the stiff trigger makes it kinda hard for me to do well at the long ranges, but it's not bad at all… Read Full Review

“this Gamo 220 Hunter Combo is not great to look at nor...”

Written on: 19/09/2008

this Gamo 220 Hunter Combo is not great to look at nor hang on the wall but it's fun to shoot once you've taken apart and clean al the grease out and relube properly. i have mine tuned with a more powerful spring, custom guide, trigger insert, piston seal, and the port polishing works done to it. still can't shoot it with a scope but with open sights compared to my rws model 34, which is also tuned. i still choose this to shoot hunt with over the rws 34 because it's lighter and shorter. they… Read Full Review

“I got my Gamo Hunter 220 used, with no scope. Open...”

Written on: 25/05/2008

I got my Gamo Hunter 220 used, with no scope. Open sight accuracy is respectable, nice tight groupings.
I was disappointed with the Raptor PBA ammo, although velocity jumps to 1200 fps, I find that it lacks overall impact. Very surprised to see this gun puncture a fire extinguisher with pointed lead hunting pellets from Crossman @ 20 yrd.
For accuracy, velocity, and overall stopping power, I recommend Gamo Rocket pellets.
Overall, I am very pleased with my Gamo Hunter 220… Read Full Review

“Excellent squirrel and bird gun. very effective close...”

Written on: 11/02/2008 by peejayharrison (3 reviews written)

Excellent squirrel and bird gun. very effective close or long range. Got mine from dick's sporting goods for 49.99 as an opened box item. A steal in my book. I also own a crosman g1 extreme(.177 )and quest 800x(.22). I have found the gamo to be most dependable and consistant over time… Read Full Review

“This was a gift from my in-laws. It has been a very...”

Written on: 02/11/2007 by drewmthomson (2 reviews written)

This was a gift from my in-laws. It has been a very consistent riffle. The Gamo Hunter 220 combo shoots the same as it did many years ago. No problems with the BSA scope. Never had it slip or nor was it blurry. The cross hairs are as they should be. Very little adjustments to the scope after all these years. I can not compare it to another air riffle since this is my first. I just purchased last week the Gamo Hunter Extreme and will be using that riffle once by birthday arrives in 9 days. Look… Read Full Review

“6 to 8 years ago I purchased two of these, since then...”

Written on: 13/05/2007 by logan9967 (1 review written)

6 to 8 years ago I purchased two of these, since then they have been invaluable. Excellent for "quick pop the barrel out of the window and kill that rabbit in your garden before the neighbor sees" scenarios. Very quiet compared to other 1000fps airguns I have used, unless you dry fire it. And after years it just needs the occasional sighting in which is easy to do and understand with the open sights and it only takes a steady hand and a cardboard box with a dot on it. With this I have killed… Read Full Review

289606_Jc Norn Iron's Response to logan9967's Review

Written on: 18/05/2007

Does it have a kickback

Logan9967's Response to logan9967's Review

Written on: 20/06/2007

hardly, there is some but its so little you don't even notice it.

“I bought a Benjamin Sheridan at the same time for...”

Written on: 18/02/2007 by nickker (1 review written)

I bought a Benjamin Sheridan at the same time for about the same price. No way to compare them. The Gamo is twice the rifle… Read Full Review

“I bought this gun maybe four years ago. It was a good...”

Written on: 13/02/2007 by novitt (1 review written)

I bought this gun maybe four years ago. It was a good shooter out of the box after I learned to shoot springers. It t has a nice simple design.

I eventually sent the gun to Charlie Tuna for a Super Tune and GTX trigger and now it's really steller. http://charliedatuna.com/index.html This made the gun great. Get it and shoot if for a year and then send it off. It's good either way but great after a tune. Gamo's are diamonds in the rough and capable of a lot with a little work… Read Full Review

Nwviper's Response to novitt's Review

Written on: 16/06/2008

As I am new to springers but I have no problem with any other of my rifles, just what is the secret to shooting these guns? I have Gamo Viper and it doesn't seem to be accurate at all.

“Having owned the rifle for over 6 years and have tried...”

Written on: 07/01/2007 by acttacus (1 review written)

Having owned the rifle for over 6 years and have tried numerous other springers and PCPs, so I thought it is time I make some contribution to others considering purchasing the rifle.

Firstly, I want to make a strong remark to those that have considered this rifle inaccurate.
Having won many smallbore rifle shooting competitions I know that many shooter converting to airgunners often neglect the fact that the projectile in a air rifle is not fired from a sealed casing as bullets are, but are… Read Full Review

Rolocks's Response to acttacus's Review

Written on: 21/02/2007

acttacus - I am interested in communicating with you on the silencer. I will be using this air gun on a golf course for pest control and would like very much to know how you did this. Rolocks ---- rltorbill@aol.com

461937_Gamogun's Response to acttacus's Review

Written on: 21/05/2009

In your review you said you added a Nikkon Stirling 3-9 x 42 scope with parallax. Did you mean Nikko or Nikon scope?

Nutrition76's Response to acttacus's Review

Written on: 08/05/2007

Excellent review, i also have a 220 and it shoots very well. I added a Beeman Universal muzzlebrake plus the GRTIII trigger (what a huge difference). One question for you: how did you remove the butt pad and what did you replace it with. Thanks for your advice.
<br/>
<br/>jim

“I bought it in Sports Authority even thinking that it...”

Written on: 24/11/2006 by rzebrak (24 reviews written)

I bought it in Sports Authority even thinking that it is most likely lower class of air rifles.
Using also similar type of rifles as hobby I got impression that some of the models went too fast to achieve 1000fps velocity by expense of accuracy neglecting in the same time other mechanical features wich should be modified in the same time in order to maintain good accuracy… Read Full Review

“I have been collecting air rifles for a while. I have...”

Written on: 22/11/2006 by Ovejero (1 review written)

I have been collecting air rifles for a while. I have some of the classics: RWS 54 .22, 52 .22, 48 .177, IZH 61, Benjamin Sheridans .20 and .22, Crossman 1000X. They are all great shooters with lots of power and great accuracy. Even the $94 Crossman was a great and pleasent find! and one of my favorites to shoot.

I have been looking at the 220 for a while, attracted by the extraordinary good looks and feel of the gun. I would go time and time again to the isle at Cabelas and handle the gun… Read Full Review

“OK, forget the scopes and bench rests. We took the...”

Written on: 12/09/2006 by quinley (1 review written)

OK, forget the scopes and bench rests. We took the Gamo 220 Hunter Combo .177 out to a field and set up tin cans at 70 yards. While my son was blasting away with a .22 rifle, I was calmly knocking over the cans before he could even chamber another round. It may not put a five shot group into 1/4", but the fun we had in the field saved this gun from being sold. Go out and plink around - it may leave you with good memories (I can still see the aggravated look on his face when he had to walk… Read Full Review

“I have used this gun for basic shooting, but it is a...”

Written on: 22/06/2006 by Hf22 airgun hunter (1 review written)

I have used this gun for basic shooting, but it is a very inaccurate. The only good thing about this gun is the 1000 fps and has good knock down power( if you can hit your target). It is a good gun after you sight it in but after a few kickbacks you will have to sight it once again… Read Full Review

“I have an old pump pellet gun that I have been using...”

Written on: 22/05/2006 by JasonPatrick (1 review written)

I have an old pump pellet gun that I have been using for the distinguished job of rodent eradication. It gives decent power, but I got sick of having to give it ten hard pumps to get the job done. This caused me to head out into the scary world of spring loaded air guns. I settled on the Gamo Hunter 220 Combo because I didn't want something Chinese, and I was reasonably happy with the reviews that I had read.

I bought the gun 2 weeks ago and for the first 4 days was extremely disappointed… Read Full Review

Bertie's Response to JasonPatrick's Review

Written on: 24/05/2006

........" I'll see how the power handles the coon, then I'll report back."
Jason.........you can have one of my surplus apostrophes if you want...it will surely clear up any misunderstanding of that sentence!
I may be a little over-cautious here, but I would think your '220 -- unless well into UK FAC territory -- is somewhat short of the ME necessary to humanely kill a raccoon unless you get very close to it and hit it in the eye.

Brucemg51's Response to JasonPatrick's Review

Written on: 29/06/2006

I had the same gripes with mine at first. The unique recoil of a magnum springer does take some getting used to, but now I am consistently shooting one hole groupings at 30 yards. Just for kicks, I put an official NRA target, with a bullseye about the size of a dime, at 65 yards out. To my amazement, I was able to hit it. If you are used to pump-up rifles, shooting a springer is totally different, but if you're willing to work with it, it will be worth your time and effort. Also, I have put down a raccoon with my 220, but as with any type of shooting, shot placement is everything. Aim for the base of the skull, and that raccoon will be on his way to the rodent afterlife.

“My dad bought the Gamo 220 Hunter Combo .177 e for me...”

Written on: 19/03/2006 by shadow177hunter (11 reviews written)

My dad bought the Gamo 220 Hunter Combo .177 e for me this past Christmas for $125 and was fairly satisfied with it until "the problems occurred". First when I opened it the stock was extremely loose and part of the barrel seal was damaged. After a month the front fiber optic just fell out as I was walking out into my yard but they gave me a new one for free without hesitation. Then it stopped accepting flathead pellets by falling straight through the barrel. One day I walked out to shoot and… Read Full Review

Leonidus's Response to shadow177hunter's Review

Written on: 22/03/2006

Gamo shadow is the same as gamo hunter 220, except for it has a synthetic stock (all internal parts are the same). All gamo springs wear out or break after 2000-3000 shots, so gamo shadow won't be any different. It's a serviceable part and has to be replaced once in a while, nothing surprising about it. As for their power, they should usually show 850-900 fps with 7.5-8 grain pellets, after the break-in period.

Leonidus's Response to shadow177hunter's Review

Written on: 22/05/2006

What I meant is the spring does get weaker after 3000 rounds, it may still go to 4-5k, but already 'stressed out'. This is from personal experience (I went through a few springs already), has nothing to do with the rifle itself, it's totally spring characteristic. Best are german springs, they last longer, up to 10k rounds, look around for reviews from weihrauch owners. I am not bashing gamo in any way, sorry if I sounded like I did, just stating the facts. It's still one of the best value for money products on the market today.

Shadow177Hunter's Response to shadow177hunter's Review

Written on: 21/05/2006

brucemg51 I ended up sending it back and you are right they do not ask for a receipt and do not hassle you. But it does cost $10 but I think thats worth a working or new rifle.

Brucemg51's Response to shadow177hunter's Review

Written on: 17/05/2006

"All gamo springs wear out or break after 2000-3000 shots"
Again with the Gamo bashing. That's utter nonsense and unfounded on anything other than personal bias. Gamo springs aren't going to break any sooner than anyone else's and in fact, are of higher quality than many. And, if you do have a problem with your Gamo, it costs you nothing. Send it back to Gamo and they will fix it or replace it free, no questions asked, not even a receipt. How many other airgun manufacturers are going to do that for you? My Gamo Hunter 220 will shoot one hole groups at 30 yards, and easily kills at 50-60 yards. Oh, and it's got 4500 rounds through it with the original spring. Anyone can make a lemon. Sorry you got a bad one.

“This review is based on ten months of ownership of the...”

Written on: 24/09/2005 by losec (3 reviews written)

This review is based on ten months of ownership of the Gamo 220 Hunter Combo .177. No matter what pellets I used, I could not make a grouping smaller than 3" from ten meters using a bench rest. My Crosman 760 which is 24 years old, groups better than the Gamo. Out in the field, this airgun is not too hard to carry while hunting. If only it can consistently hit the target, I would be very happy with this airgun. Once it does hit it's mark, squirrels don't have a chance. One shot is all it takes… Read Full Review

Brucemg51's Response to losec's Review

Written on: 25/10/2005

I had a similar problem with my 220. After owning it for almost a year, I called Gamo in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida and explained the problem. They told me to send it to them and they would either fix or replace it. Two weeks later I had a brand new 220 delivered to my door and this second one has been a lot better. Send yours back. Gamo really stands behind their products.

Losec's Response to losec's Review

Written on: 25/10/2005

Brucemg51,
<br>
<br>Thanks for the tip. The Gamo is in the mail. No matter what I tried, different hold, bench rest, cleaning, etc., the Gamo couldn't group very well at ten meters. I started questioning my skill until I used the Crosman which grouped extremely well from the same distance. Hopefully, the replacement Gamo will be much better as you say.
<br>