RWS 52 Reviews

RWS 52 - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for RWS 52

RWS 52
RWS 52

“Often a beautiful gun compared to the 48. Not quite...”

Written on: 05/07/2010 by AirgunAddict (10 reviews written)

Often a beautiful gun compared to the 48. Not quite as elegant or easy to shoot as the 54, but still a great rifle to keep in the gun-case. I've owned three 52's and they are solid, very heavy shooters.

For the money they are a great gun, but in this shooters opinion, if you are going to 'step-up' from the 48...make it a real step and just get the 54… Read Full Review

“My father has the .22 version of this rifle and it's a...”

Written on: 03/07/2010

My father has the .22 version of this rifle and it's a great gun for teens and adults. I used to shoot my friends Daisy .177 and it was good for acuracy, but horrible for stopping power, you usually need a follow-up shot to effectivly kill it. But using this rifle, I can give almost anything a one-shot kill within 100m. Flat out, I love it. With good care and maintenance, this gun could easlily last another 10-20 years, and never be replaced in my mind… Read Full Review

“My Model 52 Firebird .22 is older than my 20 year old...”

Written on: 28/10/2009

My Model 52 Firebird .22 is older than my 20 year old daughter and is still taking Rabbits out at 50m. I have a old shrike 4 X 32 scope and as a combination it has performed beautifully. No Pheasant, Crow, Woody, Squirrel or Rat is safe within 70m of this rifle and although heavier than todays PCP's they will never pack the same punch. I use Webley Accupel pellets and mostly hunt Rabbit confidently killing with a single shot. How many of today's fancy looking plinkers will still be performing… Read Full Review

“Using Beeman Kodiaks (.22), the RWS 52 will...”

Written on: 09/07/2009

Using Beeman Kodiaks (.22), the RWS 52 will consistantly put all shots through the same hole at 10 yds. Only accurate with the heavier pellets (>18 gr.) and it's a very heavy gun… Read Full Review

“RWS 52 has accuracy and power but very heavy and hard...”

Written on: 29/06/2009

RWS 52 has accuracy and power but very heavy and hard to cock but a great air rifle nonetheless… Read Full Review

“I have the rws 52 and it works perfectly no flaws and...”

Written on: 20/06/2009

I have the rws 52 and it works perfectly no flaws and solidly made, when you cock the side lever make sure you cock it all the way to the limit, or otherwise you will have the jamming problem, my 52 is already 8 yrs old and I use it every week and clean the barrrel 2x a year use daisy's pellugnoil work good… Read Full Review

“The RWS 52 is an absolute blast to shoot, it will cut...”

Written on: 06/02/2009 by bigbusa (1 review written)

The RWS 52 is an absolute blast to shoot, it will cut tiny ragged holes that can be covered by a portion of a dime at 35 yards. over 1000 birds, squirrels, and a fox have dropped from the rws 52 in 22. i have dropped a bird at 85 yards and watched him drop through the limbs like a pin ball. bar none the best adult 22 airgun to own, spend the 500 bucks for a combo and it will provide miles and miles of smiles… Read Full Review

“Of my 4 airguns this is my favorite. I have the .22...”

Written on: 06/06/2008 by GreggB (3 reviews written)

Of my 4 airguns this is my favorite. I have the .22 caliber version. The solid feel ( again, maybe a little heavy), smooth trigger pull and piston operation, make it an absolute pleasure to shoot.

I found the best pellets for me are the Crosman Premier and the Beeman Kodiak. Using the adequate factory Scope, once sighted in with the proper pellets, I never miss. Most of my shooting is between 20 and 50 yards. Occasionally I knock crows down in the 70-80 yards range. The .22 caliber carries… Read Full Review

“Sensitive to pellet type. Heavier the better. Although...”

Written on: 20/02/2008 by trafalgar (1 review written)

Sensitive to pellet type. Heavier the better. Although these can push light pellets at the advertised speeds it is unwise to use super lightweight pellets. (i.e. prometheus) out of this gun. For long life and accuracy use 10.5 gr. Pellets such a Crossman Premiers for field use… Read Full Review

☆☆☆☆☆

“I bought an RWS 52 from Straight Shooters. The gun...”

Written on: 21/02/2007 by kgreen (1 review written)

I bought an RWS 52 from Straight Shooters. The gun arrived quickly and broke the first time I cocked it. ( I had read one reviews on their site that had the same problem). I called Kevin at SS and was told I had to deal with Umarex warranty repair. I had just paid $500 bucks with shipping for the gun. Waited through the weekend for their customer service to open. Ordered the arm that attaches to the cocking arm, the threaded portion had snapped. I paid for next day AM delivery. When I got my… Read Full Review

Greggb's Response to kgreen's Review

Written on: 18/05/2007

I've had nothing but stellar service from Cabellas. You should use them whenever possible.

Tungstenfire's Response to kgreen's Review

Written on: 12/09/2008

Had rws 460 mag and it fizzled out after 30 or less pellets same problem bought 48 and 52 and they are heavy but precision killers with no problems. I got a 460 lemon and you got a 52 lemon. It happens but I don't blame ya....I have an aversion to 460's now.

Greggb's Response to kgreen's Review

Written on: 06/06/2008

It seems you either got a lemon or are particularly rough on the unit. I had my RWS 52 for over a year now and have shot it over 100 times and find it as solid as the day I bought it. It in fact is better since airguns need break in time and get smoother as time goes by.
<br/>I have had excellent service from Cabela's. They know who butters their bread so if you can find what you are looking for...buy from them!

“I had this gun for about a year now, it was a .22...”

Written on: 28/01/2007 by luckyshooter123 (4 reviews written)

I had this gun for about a year now, it was a .22 caliber, after about a thousand shots i modified the gun's piston. I drilled a hole into the piston to lighten up. Then i chrongraphed the pellet with the RWS super point and hollow point and i consistently measured about 1060ft/sec. ANd the accuracy is about a half inch to an inch and a half due to my shooting skill, with a better shooter it might be better; i also did this to my RWS 350 magnum, the power was amazing. I hope that anybody… Read Full Review

333137_Fan300Mag's Response to luckyshooter123's Review

Written on: 23/12/2007

I found this review helpful because...I find something new. I would love some more information about the piston modification on the RWS 52. If anyone can help, please could you contact me via the forums and I will leave my email address there as I can not leave it here. Thank you.

Dom7236's Response to luckyshooter123's Review

Written on: 05/10/2008

I would like to know whats involved in drilling a hole in the piston. Dom7236

“I had the RWS 52 air rifle .177 for 15 years, and...”

Written on: 01/08/2006 by lukester01 (2 reviews written)

I had the RWS 52 air rifle .177 for 15 years, and finally it broke and I chose not to fix it. It never was accurate. It was OK with a really heavy Kodiak pellet, but still not good. The gun is way too heavy! Too heavy for me to shoot accurately from a standing position… Read Full Review

Victorykingpin's Response to lukester01's Review

Written on: 19/01/2007

Do you want to sell it?

“I tried this RWS 52 gun at the range, it was very...”

Written on: 19/06/2006 by gamohunter (16 reviews written)

I tried this RWS 52 gun at the range, it was very powerful and accurate in the hands of a skilled airgun shooter. Get a solid Beeman mount and a Magnum springer rated scope for this one or just use open sights… Read Full Review

“RWS 52 - a lot has been written about accuracy...”

Written on: 01/07/2004 by rogle (1 review written)

RWS 52 - a lot has been written about accuracy problems and actual velocity levels versus advertising. Read a full review at straightshooters.com as well as the other resources on this site. I found their insights to be helpful in narrowing down choices for a backyard bunny problem and everyday plinker. I received my rws/diana m48 .22cal. yesterday. I purchased from basspro.com for $299+shipping. Wood quality, fit/finish were very good. I swabbed the barrel with 8-9 dry patches to get the… Read Full Review

“After WWII the Armistice agreement with the Germans...”

Written on: 26/06/2004 by rdcrouch1 (1 review written)

After WWII the Armistice agreement with the Germans forbade them from making traditional firearms. They turned their attention to air arms and remain to this day some of the best in the world at it.

I also heard at some point in history, American engineers were very proud that they had developed the thinnest type of wire. They sent it with arrogance to the Germans who promply drilled a hole thru it and sent it back. I mention this to give you a feel for the quality you will feel in this gun… Read Full Review

“Just got my RWS 52 .177cal \'48 yesterday (finally...”

Written on: 29/02/2004 by wertyq (3 reviews written)

Just got my RWS 52 .177cal \'48 yesterday (finally graduating up from the mod. 24 I bought 16 years ago) and am very happy with it so far. I was a bit surprised to find when I fired my first shot in the garage last night at a 1/4 inch thick piece of plywood that it passed cleanly through the wood like a hole punch and left the wadcutter pellet portruding on the *outer side* of my wooden garage door! I have been using light daisy wadcutters as this is the only thing I have got on hand at the… Read Full Review

“The RWS 52 gun is everything that I was looking for in...”

Written on: 06/02/2004 by ultralog (1 review written)

The RWS 52 gun is everything that I was looking for in an air rifle. I was hitting consistantly in a two inch target, at 10 meters, after a short while of tuning the open sights. For pellets, I found that the heavier pellets did provide me with more accurate groupings. I have had good luck with Beeman Silver Arrows and RWS super mags. Both are shooting fine. I have now purchased a BSA 2-7X32 scope and can't wait for the Michigan winter weather to break so I can really see what this gun can do… Read Full Review

“I have had my RWS 52 (22 cal) for almost 10 years now....”

Written on: 11/01/2004 by 78sharp (1 review written)

I have had my RWS 52 (22 cal) for almost 10 years now. I chronied it yesterday with an F-1 chrony 3 feet from the muzzle with 15.74 grain Beeman silver bears at 903 fps. Thats OVER 28 ft-lbs of energy. I was shooting my air rifles today and realized by comparison that the RWS 52 is a natural aimer. With the open sights it is a very steady rifle. Compared to my RWS 36 it is so much more steady. Cocking is very easy and I can imagine having no trouble cocking it if it were twice as hard. I just… Read Full Review

Nordattack's Response to 78sharp's Review

Written on: 28/07/2005

One correction to this review, the Beeman Silver Bear Pellet in .22 cal does not weigh 15.74 grains, it only weighs 12.65 grains. This would explain the 903 FPS velocity. I have the RWS 52 in .177 cal and shoot Beeman Silver Arrows 11.50 grains and Kodiak Pellets 10.60 grains so I would expect my velocity to be closer to 930-950. This gun in .177 cal with these pellets will allow it to shoot as close to the sound barrier as possible but still stay subsonic.
<br> This will allow for the highest velocity, flattest trajectory and greatest accuracy potential of this gun to be realised.
<br>I Plan on trying the 16.1 grain Eun Jin pellet, this should drop the velocity below 900 FPS but might result in even better long range accuracy.

Rayfly84's Response to 78sharp's Review

Written on: 15/12/2009

I think he is right on the money about this riffel. Oh and I don't know what kind of Beeman Silver Bear pellet that other guy who commented is using but his info is wrong. The Beeman Silver Bear .22 cal. pellet is as the reviewer stated: 15.74 grain. (Beeman Silver Bear pellets) are 7.10, 9.88, 15.74, 26.42, grain That's the .177 .20 .22 and .25 respectively.

Nordattack's Response to 78sharp's Review

Written on: 17/08/2005

Warning to all RWS 52 .177 cal users: The Eun Jin Pellet WILL NOT fit in the bore, the diameter of the pellet is larger than .177 cal. I contacted the store I bought them from www.pyramidair.com and they shipped me a tin of Silver Arrows free of charge for the trouble. They said they would make a notation on their site about it. After trying about ten differnt pellets the Beeman Silver Arrow shines. It consistently shoots the tighest groups with the Kodiak Match pulling up second place.

“After having tried dozens of different pellets (.177)...”

Written on: 07/01/2004 by Paul Heise (1 review written)

After having tried dozens of different pellets (.177) with various points (flat - rounded - hollow - pointed - etc.) of various brands, I found that all of them gave a relatively low accuracy. Since I started using Baracuda Match Extra Heavy pellets I can typically score under 0.5" at 40 yards !! They are ideal for pest control as well. My advice: get rid of the cheap lightweight pellets and start using the heavier ones, and you'll be surprised how well they'll shoot… Read Full Review

Nordattack's Response to Paul Heise's Review

Written on: 17/08/2005

Beeman Silver Arrows are heavier than the Barracuda's (Arrows 11.50gr Barracuda's 10.65gr) and will shoot even tighter groups. Try them.

“My problem with accuracy was that I was shooting a...”

Written on: 02/12/2003 by jsowell (1 review written)

My problem with accuracy was that I was shooting a light (8.2 gr MeisterK's) pellet in .17 cal. This gave me a velosity of ~1100 ft/sec, or the speed of sound. Breaking the sound barrier is not good in an air rifle. I switched to a Crossman Premier Heavy (10.5 grain) which kept me sub-sonic and it was like night and day. I went from 4 MOA @ 15 yards to one hole groups, with more power down range. I can actually make small adjustments on the scope an see the POI change. I could not do that with… Read Full Review