Wharfedale DVD-750 (exclusive to Tescos) Reviews

• Image Quality

• Sound Quality

Wharfedale DVD-750 (exclusive to Tescos) - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Wharfedale DVD-750 (exclusive to Tescos)

Wharfedale DVD-750 (exclusive to Tescos)

“14 years on and still going strong!”

Written on: 13/03/2014 by Kelleher140 (1 review written)

I was one of the first people to buy a Wharfedale DVD750 and 750-s in the UK. It cost £180 originally from Tescos in 1999. My units (I own the two variants above) are still going strong in 2014, even though we have now upgraded our TV to HD 40"! The Sony TV upscales the picture perfectly adequately and the player has had over 2000 films put through it. Now THAT is reliability. We can't be the ONLY people left using this player, can we? If anyone else is still using theirs we'd like to know… Read Full Review

Wharfedale DVD-750 (exclusive to Tescos)

“When you switch on the Wharfedale DVD-750, the drawer...”

Written on: 04/08/2004 by mikebird (1 review written)

When you switch on the Wharfedale DVD-750, the drawer just will not open for a good 10-20 seconds. The machine does not have sufficient logic to realise that when there is no disc in there, it's gotta open. No questions… Read Full Review

Wharfedale DVD-750 (exclusive to Tescos)

“This is a great machine. OK, it looks a little less...”

Written on: 15/05/2003 by Stig. (1 review written)

This is a great machine. OK, it looks a little less sleek than the budget players of today, but I have no excuse (other than the desire to have a DVD player that plays MP3 files and is DTS compatible) to replace mine. PLUS it is possible to use this region-free if you know where to look… Read Full Review

Theryall's Response to 98036_Stig.'s Review

Written on: 13/10/2003

Stig - My old Wharfedale DVD-750 played the Fasy and the Furious dts soundtrack - I chose dts from the audio options (obviously) and my amp changed display to dts, so I'm happy that it worked.
<br>
<br>Now they're a bargain for £30 at Richers!

Wharfedale DVD-750 (exclusive to Tescos)

“A bargain at the time, and certainly a good player,...”

Written on: 24/11/2002 by Simon H. (1 review written)

A bargain at the time, and certainly a good player, but can't really keep up with today's high performing budget players… Read Full Review

Wharfedale DVD-750 (exclusive to Tescos)

“I bought my Wharfdale DVD-750S from Tescos in Enfield....”

Written on: 06/10/2002 by Stevie. (1 review written)

I bought my Wharfdale DVD-750S from Tescos in Enfield. I went looking on the shelves where they should have been, but they were all sold out. Mine was hidden by someone else behind some clothing where I spotted it. I took it to the cashier who told me it was £100. A man behind me at the checkouts started kicking the counter saying that he had bought 1 the previous week for £180. I was very lucky. So far to date (1yr and 5 months on) I have be able to watch and hear everything that I put in the… Read Full Review

Remus127's Response to 42093_Stevie.'s Review

Written on: 28/06/2004

GREAT DVD PLAYER , BUT WILL NOT PLAY COPIED
<br>VHS - TO DVD CD'S

Wharfedale DVD-750 (exclusive to Tescos)

“Bought the Wharfdale DVD-750 DVD player in June 2000...”

Written on: 11/09/2002 by Andy Watson. (1 review written)

Bought the Wharfdale DVD-750 DVD player in June 2000 from Tescos for £180 - cheapest around at the time.

Good sound and picture quality. Had no problems with it except that it wouldn't play Gladiator disk 2 with the additional features. Until recently that is...
Had some trouble switching it on until eventually it would not power up at all. I have been informed that the power unit is broken and the part is no longer made so the player is now useless.
So much for buying cheap. Anybody got a… Read Full Review

49937_Martin.'s Response to 37361_Andy Watson.'s Review

Written on: 10/11/2002

Spot on review, my 750 is just under 2 years old and has just developed a fault in the power supply board - sound familiar?

Fernando7's Response to 37361_Andy Watson.'s Review

Written on: 20/02/2008

hi guys regarding the power supply failure just replace the two 10v 1000uF capacitors on the power supply board it should work

Wharfedale DVD-750 (exclusive to Tescos)

“I bought the Wharfdale 750 DVD player from Tescos...”

Written on: 09/05/2002 by Peter. (1 review written)

I bought the Wharfdale 750 DVD player from Tescos second or third batch. It was simple to set up and easy to hack. Plays through RGB scart and digital coaxial. The picture and sound are exceptional, the first through my old (1995) 25 inch Panasonic TV, the second through a Sherwood 925RDS receiver, 5 speakers and a sub. I can't complain about its value (at the time of buying there was nothing to really touch it at the price) or performance which I find is exceptional, don't even notice the… Read Full Review

30428_Keith.'s Response to 22901_Peter.'s Review

Written on: 19/07/2002

Get the A.I. menu but cannot play the movie - works fine in pc but that's not good enough when I want widescreen and surround sound!

45636_Tom.'s Response to 22901_Peter.'s Review

Written on: 23/10/2002

With the AI disk, do not select any of the functions from the menu, in order to play the disk, select "GOTO" from the remote, then key in "0" "1" "ENT", this should then send you straight to chapter 1 on the disk so you can watch the film at least, but you won't be able to select any of the bonus features on the disk - hope this helps.

45628_Tom.'s Response to 22901_Peter.'s Review

Written on: 23/10/2002

I got the same problem as Keith, AI disc 1 u can only get to the menu and then the player freezes, you have to switch it off then on to get the disk, disk 2 wil not play at all - also cannot play the gladiator dvd disk 2.

Wharfedale DVD-750 (exclusive to Tescos)

“Ever since I bought my Wharfedale DVD-750 dvd player...”

Written on: 15/03/2002 by Player.. (1 review written)

Ever since I bought my Wharfedale DVD-750 dvd player for £150, i've enjoyed every moment of owning it. The picture is very good on all the films i've seen, and the sound is very clear. I can confidently say that this has to be the best dvd player you can pick up at this price, unless of course you're a bit of a dodgy geezer and steal a nice top-end one! By the way, for anybody who wants a mental film, look into 'The Fast and The Furious'-oh yes!… Read Full Review

Wharfedale DVD-750 (exclusive to Tescos)

“Get a life if you think there is anything particularly...”

Written on: 20/02/2002 by Bob. (1 review written)

Get a life if you think there is anything particularly wrong with this box. I've had my Wharfedale DVD-750 DVD player for well over a year with only a few minor glitches which were usually resolved by either cleaning the disk or changing back from multiregion to region 2. I did have some initial setup issues but I put that down to my own inexperience.
For the guy with problems on the Gladiator Disk 2, this is not the player. It's the disk. It used to be possible to get the disk replaced… Read Full Review

13850_Dave.'s Response to 13388_Bob.'s Review

Written on: 25/02/2002

I have mislayed my remote control for this device and can i get a replacement? NO i would appreciate somebody contacting me to get a replacement as we all live in a world of remotes that we take for granted but, when we lose it it's like losing a long term friend - can anybody supply one? macgregordj@hotmail.com - Thanks

14514_Monty D.'s Response to 13388_Bob.'s Review

Written on: 02/03/2002

I liked your review Bob,and yes I have the same DVD player, but alas it will not play any region 2 disk without the blue screen cutting in on my television,so, can you tell me how to re-hack the region code.
<br>I would really appreciate it.
<br>Regards.
<br>Monty d

Wharfedale DVD-750 (exclusive to Tescos)

“I bought this Wharfedale DVD-750 DVD player because it...”

Written on: 20/02/2002 by Nic. (1 review written)

I bought this Wharfedale DVD-750 DVD player because it was the cheapest available at the time but I have had trouble with the disc freezing and recently I can't view the Gladiator disc 2 at all or the Atlantis R1 dvd I have just spent £18 on! If anyone has any ideas?!… Read Full Review

Wharfedale DVD-750 (exclusive to Tescos)

“I bought one of these Wharfedale DVD-750 DVD players...”

Written on: 09/02/2002 by Neil. (1 review written)

I bought one of these Wharfedale DVD-750 DVD players when I saw them in my local tescos. It wasn't the cheapest they had, but it was very reasonable and offered all of the features I was after. At first I was reasonably happy with my purchase but it was only after watching a number of films on it that flaws became apparent.
- The menu system is UGLY.
- When watching some titles it would freeze the frame and sound for a fraction of a second. For some titles this was very bad.
- Extra features on… Read Full Review

26067_Aneel.'s Response to 12295_Neil.'s Review

Written on: 01/06/2002

You've had 2 dodgy machines because mine beats my friend's Sony and at least equals my friend's Panasonic for picture, and for accesories it beats both. Sorry.

112763_John.'s Response to 12295_Neil.'s Review

Written on: 03/07/2003

I've one for about three years, other than a lame remote, I've no complaints

37378_E.'s Response to 12295_Neil.'s Review

Written on: 11/09/2002

I must also say that I have had no problems with my dvd-750, and can't fault it...

Wharfedale DVD-750 (exclusive to Tescos)

“I've had my Wharfdale DVD-750 DVD player for about a...”

Written on: 26/01/2002 by Elsie. (1 review written)

I've had my Wharfdale DVD-750 DVD player for about a year now and I can honestly say I've had no problems with it. Yes, it might look clunky alongside some of the more streamlined DVD players available, but the quality of this particular player means looks aren't important. As long as I can keep playing all my favourite DVD's, my 750 is staying right where it is.
And for all those people who've been asking about playing multi-regional DVD's on the 750, you might want to check out the… Read Full Review

Wharfedale DVD-750 (exclusive to Tescos)

“You obviously don't know a good thing wwhen you see it. ”

Written on: 04/01/2002 by Leon. (1 review written)

You obviously don't know a good thing wwhen you see it.
Excellent player, good quality picture and excellent value for money. Plays region 1 & 2 straight out of the box.
Top value for money… Read Full Review

8756_Stephen.'s Response to 8515_Leon.'s Review

Written on: 07/01/2002

I agree with the review but how how how do you play multi-region DVDs. When I bought mine at Tesco's they said that it would and gave me some instructions.....Ive lost the instructions!!!

Wharfedale DVD-750 (exclusive to Tescos)

“I bought one of the clearance £99 ones at Tesco's and...”

Written on: 03/12/2001 by Uncle Fester. (1 review written)

I bought one of the clearance £99 ones at Tesco's and have nothing but good times with this puppy. It plays any region DVD's without any problems and sounds and looks great… Read Full Review

45825_Peter.'s Response to Uncle Fester.'s Review

Written on: 23/10/2002

I to find the 750s a great dvd player but unfortunatley I have been unable to get it to play region free.Can you tell me what to do.I bought mine in Dec 2001.
Thanks
Peter

Wharfedale DVD-750 (exclusive to Tescos)

“the picture is very dark. the sound is extremely poor....”

Written on: 27/11/2001 by ash. (1 review written)

the picture is very dark. the sound is extremely poor. when its hooked to my surround system is sounds like it was recorded on a record player. the menu is dull and the loading and general playing of disks is noisy… Read Full Review

7798_Cooksta.'s Response to 6380_ash.'s Review

Written on: 24/12/2001

Think ur being a tad harsh,wht do u expect for the money u pay??? if u wasnt such a cheap but, maybe u would spend a few extra pennys on sumthing decent........

16251_Tim.'s Response to 6380_ash.'s Review

Written on: 18/03/2002

Try setting output to RGB

8516_Leon.'s Response to 6380_ash.'s Review

Written on: 04/01/2002

Get a life or a decent TV to hook the wharfdale up to. Excellent player when owned by the right person.

Wharfedale DVD-750 (exclusive to Tescos)

“I have had my Wharfedale 750 for about a year and a...”

Written on: 22/11/2001 by gizmo. (1 review written)

I have had my Wharfedale 750 for about a year and a half now and I'm chuffed to bits! I can't really complain about it at all. Yes them menu is not good looking but who watches the menu, it's the films you watch anyway.

The sound is very good, mine is set up through a Dolby Digital tv and the sound is spot on, picture quality is very good too, you have to remember too that all dvd disks vary in quality, some are pin sharp and some aren't.

I'm tempted to upgrade the the new Wharfedale model… Read Full Review

Wharfedale DVD-750 (exclusive to Tescos)

“I have had 5 DVD players of varying cost and the 750S...”

Written on: 09/11/2001 by amuldoon. (1 review written)

I have had 5 DVD players of varying cost and the 750S has an equal picture quality to players 3 times the price.
I agree the menus are a bit nasty but I tend not to look at them that much. It has been very reliable and following advice from various websites I can now play multi-region disks too!… Read Full Review

“I like mine.”

Written on: 12/10/2001 by Spiro. (1 review written)

I like mine… Read Full Review

Wharfedale DVD-750 (exclusive to Tescos)

“I was tempted when i saw one of these at Tesco at...”

Written on: 02/10/2001 by steve. (1 review written)

I was tempted when i saw one of these at Tesco at £99.99. Bargain i thought until i switched the thing on. The menu system looks like it was developed using a Sinclair Spectrum. The drive is noisy and picture quality is poor (for a DVD) as for the sound hmmm this was my biggest let down. I wasn't even tempted to put it in the kids bedroom so i took it back and got a full refund. From what i have heard Wharfdale is not the company it once was and this is proof of it.
Here is the puzzle given the… Read Full Review

5538_Ian Ewart.'s Response to 4543_steve.'s Review

Written on: 06/11/2001

Please do not pay any attention to this review it is complete and utter nonsense. The wharfdale offers outstanding value for money. As far as I am aware the 715 and 715S models used the same chipset as many of Sony's dvd players !!!

7987_Wullie2.'s Response to 4543_steve.'s Review

Written on: 28/12/2001

My opinion is somewhere between these two extremes.
<br>
<br>The 750S does provide lots of features for a low price but it is noisy and a bit flimsy. It also suffers from a number of disk compatability problems.
<br>
<br>I've had mine for around 18 months now and am looking for a new and better DVD player

Wharfedale DVD-750 (exclusive to Tescos)

“Fabulous! Linked it up to a Dolby SDU4 surround...”

Written on: 04/04/2001 by Michael SR. (1 review written)

Fabulous! Linked it up to a Dolby SDU4 surround decoder and the whole experience is awesome!… Read Full Review