Nikon D100 Reviews

• Image Quality

• Battery Life

Summary

6.31 Megapixel
Slr/professional

Resolution 6.1
Optical Zoom 1
Battery Type Rechargeable

Features:
  • Built around a 23.7 x 15.6mm RGB CCD, the D100 captures images with an incredible, film-rivaling 6.1
  • Pictures are amazingly detailed and color-rich, with resolutions up to 3008 x 2000 pixels
  • 3D Matrix Metering
  • 5 Area Dynamic Autofocus with Focus Tracking and Lock-on
  • Built-in Speedlight featuring D-TTL flash control capability + standard ISO-type hot shoe
  • Refine your search

Nikon D100

“The Nikon D100 digital camera is a good overall...”

Written on: 30/12/2005 by dcphoto (1 review written)

The Nikon D100 digital camera is a good overall workhorse, and it is an excellent back-up for anyone who owns a D1 series digital camera… Read Full Review

Nikon D100

“After 11 months, the Nikon D100 lens assembly broke....”

Written on: 12/11/2005 by artulene (1 review written)

After 11 months, the Nikon D100 lens assembly broke. (Fortunately, still under warranty.) After 17 months, (10,000 photos) the shutter stopped working. Nikon wanted $500 to fix it. After much haggling and many weeks without the camera, they agreed to fix it for $250. This is not your fathers Nikon. Ask the service department at your local store -- I talked to three stores and all say that Nikon D100 is not as reliable as comparable Canon. I will never buy another Nikon after this experience… Read Full Review

Bigh's Response to artulene's Review

Written on: 19/11/2005

Now that's a shame! Mine is still working fine, and I've had no problems at all. Now over 16200 images taken.
    <br>I'm very happy.
    <br>Mind you, for extra peace of mind I have a five year extended guarantee which includes accidental damage too...
    <br>Hope I never need to call on it.
    <br>Howard.

Posers's Response to artulene's Review

Written on: 22/04/2011

I guess the reviewer must have been pure unlucky with his Nikon D100, 9 years on from when I bought it I am still using my D100 on a regular basis. I am a wedding photographer and the camera has seen mega usage, I have no idea what the shutter count would be but it has been very heavily used. It has never been serviced in all the time I have had it, and touch wood, it has never let me down or given inferior results. Because of its age,and only having a 6 mega pixcel sensor, a second hand Nikon D100 can be bought very cheaply now, though why people are so concerned about mega pixcels is beyond me, size isn't important if you know how to use it! I regularly have 20"x 16" prints made from cropped files shot on the D100 and have had no issues about quality.
    <br/>I would unreservedly reccomend to anybody wanting a quality DSLR at an affordable price to consider getting one.

Nikon D100

“The Nikon brand name has always enjoyed a solid...”

Written on: 12/10/2005 by humanhoover (3 reviews written)

The Nikon brand name has always enjoyed a solid reputation, and the D100 adds to its accolades. It is well featured, and has just about everything you'd want in an SLR camera, whether it be digital or film. The allure of a digital SLR is that you can still use the same interchangeable lenses, thereby increasing flexibility with shooting options with regard to aperture control, use of filters, but even more so, it is that a digital SLR handles pretty much like a film SLR. In this respect, the… Read Full Review

Nikon D100

“When I first got my Nikon D100, I thought I was being...”

Written on: 21/09/2005 by Amin2 (1 review written)

When I first got my Nikon D100, I thought I was being ripped off due to the cost, but when I checked the results, it is a REALLY good camera. Great value for money, and good quality… Read Full Review

Nikon D100

“I love the Nikon D100, it allows Nikon users to move...”

Written on: 27/09/2004 by twospoonsphoto (3 reviews written)

I love the Nikon D100, it allows Nikon users to move their skills into digital with no learning curve on the image getting side. Photoshop CS is a must for the post-capture phase. I would like to be able to shoot more RAW files faster. Since they have superb post-capture flexibility and tweakability. However, if you shoot 4-5 RAW files fast, the buffer loads up and you are dead until they are all written out to the card. You might miss a lot of nice shots in that painfully long period of… Read Full Review

Nikon D100

“Before trying, and consequently buying, the Nikon D100...”

Written on: 13/02/2004 by pireo64 (1 review written)

Before trying, and consequently buying, the Nikon D100 I was a bit sceptical about digital cameras. I tried a lot of D.cameras before and was still convinced on film cameras. D100 lets me appreciate digital a lot, although for certain shots I absolutely still prefere my Nikon F4S or my very old Hasselblad 500C. D100 is versatile, great when you need something to get quickly images of good quality. I think in the panorama of similar price D.cameras it is absolutely at the top. The only… Read Full Review

Nikon D100

“The camera has excellent fit, finish and balance,...”

Written on: 04/04/2003 by Jim. (1 review written)

The camera has excellent fit, finish and balance, feels like a traditional SLR and produces stunning images. The menu structure is laid out well and is thankfully supplemented with knobs, dials and switches that take most of the need to menu hunt out of the picture. Most common shooting funtions and adjustments are reached by twirling controls, exactly like any SLR. If you have used a Nikon AF SLR, then you'll feel right at home. Everything is where it should be and the learning curve is very… Read Full Review

Nikon D100

“The shutter miliseconds response is so slow that when...”

Written on: 04/11/2002 by john. (1 review written)

The shutter miliseconds response is so slow that when you try to photograph nature at the decisive moment, the shutter lag is just impossible to accomplish that. Any movement of your subject, and the camera does not capture what you saw. High speeds/fast film do not help. Every speed used sounds like a 1/10 sec. shutter speed and because of its slow response, and the moment you wanted is not captured. One good side to this is that you do not waste film. I believe that the LCD settings are too… Read Full Review

Allanjahn's Response to 48322_john.'s Review

Written on: 29/12/2003

I don't know what D-100 you are using, but there is absolutely no shutter lag in my D-100.
    <br> I photograph motorcyle races and no probelms except for the amount of frames I can record before the camera has to finish reading to the memory card.
    <br>
    <br>There should be no problem with type of photography you are trying accomplish.

Stolat's Response to 48322_john.'s Review

Written on: 11/05/2004

I stand with my statement as such, except when you set up your camera to do continuous high shutter speeds and the camera starts to track your moving subject, e.i. birds in flight , race cars etc, your shutter is held down for those sequence of shots (limited buffer amount), it will hold the focus to your chosen area, there it works fine and I do not have any problem with birds that are in a sedentery state perched where ever and do not move. I have many excellent shots of those to say the least, and for decisive moments of action,I still use my Nikon F5.

Spoonz's Response to 48322_john.'s Review

Written on: 11/05/2004

I agree that there is very little shutter lag on this camera. As a professional school photographer I have taken photos of everything from sports events. (including high diving which does require a good camera reaction time) to live theatre. The D100 has NEVER let me down in any department and I cannot recommend it highly enough. I havn't shot film in over 12 months now, thanks to this superb camera.

Nikon D100

“Image quality is very good with the Nikon D100 SLR...”

Written on: 25/10/2002 by Chounchai. (1 review written)

Image quality is very good with the Nikon D100 SLR digital camera (with good lens).
    As I'm a serious amateur photographer, I'm so happy to use this D100 instead of my former conventional cameras because the pictures I have had printed by digital lab are no difference from film.
    Another point is that the camera is quite fast in all functions as a normal SLR… Read Full Review