Advocate for Cats Reviews

Advocate for Cats - Ask a question now

“Afraid to use agaain”

Written on: 21/05/2016 by asMunn298 (1 review written)

My cat is 10 years old,just. I don't use flea treatment very often as she is a stay at home cat,her choice. We are putting her in a cattery so used Advocate, have used it on her before with no problems, this time she has not been herself very bad twitching down her back which causes her to dash about and lick and bite herself. Her head and paws twitch too at separate times, been sick and is very loose when she uses her tray.We have been very worried about her, she is very nervous too. We're on… Read Full Review

“Would not risk using Advocate again”

Written on: 05/05/2016 by Leonardos151 (1 review written)

My vet prescribed Advocate. Unfortunately, after the first administration, my 8 year old cat changed from being lively and fun-loving to only wanting to lie on my bed. He stared fearfully and flinched at nothing as if he was seeing things. He also suffered from some tremors in his paws. At one stage he was lying sadly on his back as if all his life-force was spent with just his paws twitching and I thought I was going to lose him. This lethargy lasted for about 8 days. Thank goodness after… Read Full Review

“Was it Advocate, you decide”

Written on: 24/04/2016 by Shields280 (1 review written)

We administered Advocate as prescribed by our vet to our 2 young cats 3 weeks before boarding them at a cattery. The first 2 weeks seemed fine, but they had a low appetite which was unusual for our 2 very active cats. The day before we were to board our cats, one of our cats became very unwell with a high fever, he was lethargic and could barely move, his belly had become very swollen as well. We rushed him to hospital where they discovered his bowel was shutting down. He was given meds to… Read Full Review

“Do not use”

Written on: 22/02/2016 by 450Kane (1 review written)

A dose of Advocate for Cats was administered to my cat by the Vet duriong a routine yearly check. When I took my cat to the Vets she was healthy and lively as usual. After returning home my cat went to sleep and slept for several hours. When she woke up she was listless and unsteady on her back legs and was finding it difficult to walk. It only lasted a day and I reported it to the Vet.Who of corse was none commital.When I looked it up on line I was shocked to see that so many people had had… Read Full Review

Tweena's Comment

Written on: 16/03/2016

My cat had this flea treatment for the first time several weeks ago, she was sick for a week and more worryingly has lost large patches of fur around her neck and also some on her body. DEFINATELY won´t be giving her this again

“Not safe - will never use again”

Written on: 11/12/2015

I took my cat to the vet as she had an allergic reaction to frontline. My vet recommended Advocate. She hasn't stopped scratching and licking since. Her fur is falling out all over and she is bald on her tummy. The fur she still has is dull and she is very lethargic Would never use this product again… Read Full Review

Susieblue67's Comment

Written on: 17/01/2016

Hi, can i ask how you got it sorted for your puss cat please. Mine is very poorly first dose of Advocate he was fine, day after second dose, he's dreadful, don't know what to do :( Vet wants huge amounts of money to do blood tests etc., but I think it's her fault..she gave my Smokey A1 health and he's a house cat so no danger of picking anything up outside :/ I blame the vet entirely for this :(

Kittycat2A's Comment

Written on: 09/02/2016

My cat is doing exactly the same thing. To begin with I thought she had fleas ! but then I thought well how could she when she doesn't go out and has had the advocate so I thought that I would review the product. Can I ask how long this lasts and what the final outcome is ? Hope your cat is ok now.

“My cat went psycho ”

Written on: 02/12/2015 by Murphy-Alt313 (1 review written)

I just put advocate on my three cats. The first two didn't like it but my third cat went absolutely crazy when I was applying it. It obviously reacted with his skin straight away… Read Full Review

“Cat subdued, lathargic and depressed”

Written on: 27/10/2015 by RainaCrowley (1 review written)

I have two cats and I give them Advocate that is perscribed by the vet. One cat is fine with it but my other one obviously hates the smell, starts to overally groom herself and the next day is very lathargic, not a great appetite and is generally very depressed :( going to monitor her for a couple of days then off to the vet I go!… Read Full Review

“Kitten now has large bold spot ”

Written on: 20/09/2015 by AniyaDrew (1 review written)

I parted my kittens fur as directed and put advocate on the back of his neck. Within 5 minutes of applying it my kitten was scratching, irritable and acting weird. The by the evening he had greasy sticky fur and the next day a bold patch. His fur just comes away anywhere near where it was applied. It's awful I won't be using it again. God knows how much more fur will come out and how long this will take to grow back. Disgusting that this is given by actual vets. I feel awful for ever putting… Read Full Review

Emilyturner's Comment

Written on: 05/01/2016

I have the same issue, I have two cats own it did nothing too and the other had the same reaction hair fell out and she had a sore from where it was put

Kooshlash's Comment

Written on: 05/01/2016

Oh no, sorry to hear that. Its so awful.

I had to take him to the vets and he had antibiotics and i also had to apply cream to it but he wouldn't leave it alone so i made him a little jumper from a sports sock (he wont wear the cone) so that did the trick and after about a week it had healed enough for me to comb out and scabs and then leave the jumper off. Took awhile for his coat to grow back, poor little guy. But its very thick and shiny now.

I wouldn't ever use the spot on treatments again.

I hope your little sweetheart gets better soon.

“Cat and daughter ill”

Written on: 04/09/2015

Administered Advocate to my two year old cat 10 days ago (live in Nepal but vet says he purchases it from the U.S.). Symptoms didn't appear until three days later, when he stopped eating and drinking (for four days). He wouldn't come in to the house, became very listless, wouldn't play with children as usual. 24 hours after administering the drug, he was cleaning himself when he started drooling and slobbering like a dog. When taken to the vet on day five nothing could be found wrong with him… Read Full Review

“has not worked”

Written on: 28/08/2015 by ztMcDougall287 (1 review written)

Was recommended advocate by my vets, after advantage stopped working on my cats, we had both cats treated with it and we also treated our home with get recommended product, well a week later my cats still have lots of live fleas running about on them and the problem seems to have got worse with fleas being left behind on places they have laid (very much alive fleas) my female cat has a special bond with my 3 yr old daughter and neither are happy that in having to keep them apart. Seeing as i… Read Full Review

Lucyst's Comment

Written on: 07/12/2015

I've got the same problem with my two cats one is alive with fleas the other seems to be almost flea free! Vet recommended this to me as it kills live fleas, eggs, larvae. Im also grooming both cats thoroughly daily to break flea cycle

“Advocate will kill your cat like mine - do not use it”

Written on: 07/07/2015 by TerryBurke (1 review written)

It has just killed my kitten having been prescribed by the vet - so so upset - listless for a few days after then found her unconscious - medivet enfield should be ashamed for selling this killer This product should be banned in the uk… Read Full Review

Jaii.leigh's Comment

Written on: 01/09/2015

Thats because you are not meant to use any flea treatment on kittens or their mother, what ever vet told you this should not be allowed to treat animals..

“if you love your cat dont buy this product.”

Written on: 03/05/2015

i have three cats, all had advocate wouldnt eat for days.then i noticed that one of my cats had a bald patch on the back of her neck and a little blood. advocate had melted the plasic lock on her coller and it was stuck to her fur. I couldnt open the lock , so i had to cut the coller off the cat. if this product has melted my cats coller what on earth is it doing to the cat?… Read Full Review

Skittle_Nerd's Comment

Written on: 04/05/2015

If you read the pamphlet that comes with advocate it says to remove the collars from the cats and don't put on until it drys. it also lists losing hair at application site as an acceptable side effect.
A lot of cats are sleepy and lose appetites after treatment it's common just like after vaccinations.

Skittle_Nerd's Comment

Written on: 04/05/2015

“Not happy”

Written on: 29/04/2015 by Finnl71 (1 review written)

Used advocate flea treatment on my yr old cat and this product left burn marks, scabbing hair loss and open wounds on the back of her neck, this treatment was prescribed by my vets, will not be using it again… Read Full Review

“Amazing stuff ”

Written on: 15/11/2014 by 337Smith (1 review written)

Was using frontline but managed to get a heavy infestation of fleas! Went to my vet and they recommended I tried Advocate, put it on my cat and within hours they were falling off and diying (very satisfying to watch) haven't had a flea problem since and infact we haven't found a single flea since we've been using it! Save your money and don't bother with Frontline (it's rubbish) go to the vet and spend a bit more for something that really does work! Cat hasnt had any side effects what so… Read Full Review

Liz.stokes.5203's Comment

Written on: 06/12/2014

Did you do a thorough clean on your house too? I've been given advocate from the vet. Cleaned house top to toe and have been checking my two kittens everyday. Found they were smaller. And the next day found dead ones. But the day after I've found live ones again. So unsure if I've made the problem worse. I am finding eggs falling of one of them so I keep getting rid of them.

“Never again”

Written on: 23/10/2014

I have given Advocate to my kitty for 3 months now and he started to develop scabs all over his neck and I guess they were itchy because he was scratching all day long and bleed. I don't want to use this product again. On the bright side all the fleas died instantly, maybe it is just my kitty that has a sensitive skin. … Read Full Review

“No problem ... so far”

Written on: 08/10/2014 by meGrace1957 (1 review written)

Have used this product again after a break for 3 months due to our cat having fur loss and inflamed skin to a worm treatment. No significant side-effects so far than I can tell. Had to use Comfortis for 3 months and in no way was this as good as Advocate - though I keep reading that summer 2014 has been a particularly bad year for fleas. Advocate easier to give the cat - even though he turns into the 'cat from hell' when you try to do anything with him so we have to wrap him in a towel! But… Read Full Review

“Wish I had read the reviews!”

Written on: 23/08/2014 by Wootenht494 (1 review written)

Vet recommended Advocate as Frontline did not seem to be working. Applied the product as directed, at first she seemed a little bit freaked out but that past and I thought nothing of it. The following morning she was in a terrible state, could not move and would make a strange noise when I tried to pick her up. Took her to the vets she had a high temperature, some bloods were taken but they were all normal went home with her thinking it would pass. Rushed her back in with a very high… Read Full Review

Suebethmartin's Comment

Written on: 27/08/2014

I applied Advocate to my cat - recommended by the Vet. 2 days later I had a very very sick cat. - lethargic, vomiting, no appetite, depressed. He was rushed to the Vet, and placed on a drip over the weekend . He then became jaundiced - he was transferred to a specialist and after hydration, a scan. numerous blood tests , a 5 day stay in a vet hospital and a a liver/pancreatic biopsy he is now getting better.

This was 6 weeks ago - DO NOT USE ADVOCATE . I I can't prove it but this was more than a coincidence. The specialist Vet has told me not to use it - good job he was insured !!!!

Kathcat's Comment

Written on: 11/11/2014

Hi, I would be grateful if you could update your comment to tell us if your lovely cat recovered ok? We're going through a similar thing with our cat at the moment, it's been 10 days so far.

Montycats's Comment

Written on: 11/11/2014

Hi, I am pleased to say that she did pull through. I would say that it took a good 8 weeks for her to get back to herself.
She did have her good and bad days over the first 2 -3 weeks, I had to feed her bits of food by hand (tuna or encore cat food) and water. I then started to carry her outside and stayed with her as she was unsteady on her feet, did this for a few days until she gained a bit of confidence.
Don't give up hope it really does take time, fingers crossed your cat will soon start to pick up.

“Anxious about using Advocate ”

Written on: 12/08/2014 by Marissai491 (1 review written)

I have always used Stronghold for my 3 cats but my vet recently changed to Advocate. I read these reviews & was adamant I would not use it. Even considered changing my vet of over 20 years. Decided to give it a go after a long talk with another branch of my vets - marvellous! The boys didn't even react when I applied it, unlike Stronghold when they flinched & ran away. They just sat there. No adverse reactions as described in these reviews. No discolouring on the coat of my dual layered boy… Read Full Review

“Been using this for a year and a bit, but not anymore!!!!”

Written on: 31/07/2014 by Hartley1976 (1 review written)

As other reviewers have said loss of fur and a really nasty looking red patch on my cats skin. Seems strange as I have used this product on her before and other cats are fine. I will use something else on the others in future as I don't want the same to happen to them. :(… Read Full Review

Sallyflood's Comment

Written on: 10/11/2014

Don`t use Bob Martin All Clear Spot on. Visit to the vet cost me £47 today. My cat has a hypersensitivity to the Bob Martin all clear spot on. It has been reported that she has allopecia and lesions all over the body. Temperature of 39.3 and anxious. No flea dirt evident but combed out a lot of dried skin. Given colvasone steroid injection and another visit and I guess more money on Friday. I shall definitely be taking this further in all directions and looking at other posts and reviews there are plenty people who feel the same.

“Works really well :-)”

Written on: 20/06/2014 by BlossomsMummy (1 review written)

I took my kitten to the vets this morning and they recommended advocate spot on treatment. After reading previous reviews on here I was extremely dubious however I needn't of worried. My kitten has been absolutely fine. She has been slightly drowsy this afternoon but has not had any allergic skin reaction. I spoke to the vet and she said that it's very important to apply it correctly and make sure that the dose/strength is correct for the weight of the animal. My kitten weighs 1.4kg so had the… Read Full Review

Vicki123456's Response to BlossomsMummy's Review

Written on: 20/06/2014

Thanks for your advice. I too need to treat my kitten but after reading so many contradicting reviews I was unsure which one to use. This has helped me a lot. I think I will be using advocate and getting the vet to apply it the first time so I can see how it's done. No doubt it will be cheaper to buy it online then from the vet????

Susieblue67's Response to BlossomsMummy's Review

Written on: 07/12/2015

Makes me so cross, my vet said to apply in one area which I have now :/ wish vets were consistent with their guidance eh!!! May I ask are you still using Advocate and are you finding it effective? I've changed from Frontline to Advocate today on the advice of my vet and so far all Smokey is doing is twitching a lot more and giving me the evil eye for doing it to him lol...after reading all the scary reviews I'm terrified I've harmed my beloved cat :( My Smokey is a cross Ragdoll/British Blue, a very handsome fluffball of silvers :)

Cattitudemum's Response to BlossomsMummy's Review

Written on: 15/07/2014

I cannot thank you enough, mother of "Blossom"!!! :) My hubby and I have been using advocate for 6 years and this is the first time we have found such great advice that makes sense. We have not had any problems with our babies (I'm hugging a lot of trees right now eg "touch wood"!!!!) but just in the last few months our girls have been running and hiding each time they hear that familiar sound of the advocate being removed from the foil. Today they both really reacted badly to it being applied, as if it were burning them. I have tried heaps of searches today to explain this and yours by far is the best. We do apply all of the treatment to the same skin spot. It will be another month until the next treatment but thanks to your brilliant post, we have great hope that we will not hurt our babies next time, THANK YOU!!! :)
We wish you and your family many PURRfect, healthy and happy years with Blossom :)
Love from the parents of the Burmese girls with PURRfect cattitude <3

Blossomsmummy's reply to Cattitudemum's Comment

Written on: 15/07/2014

I hope the next dose you apply is kinder to your Burmese girls.

Blossomsmummy's reply to Blossomsmummy's Comment

Written on: 15/07/2014

Continued... (Due to an eager phone lol)
My little blossom is due her next lot of advocate this week. I've booked her in at the vets again but are considering doing it myself next time. Give your Burmese girls a hug from me and I hope they have a better reaction next time xxx

Cattitudemum's reply to Blossomsmummy's Comment

Written on: 29/08/2014

Hello :)

Mine is an under eager achiever and I now need to retype my message again.
In short, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! :) thank you for your post. I have just treated the girls and it was the quickest, easiest, less stressful treatment ever - and they're the happiest I've ever seen them :) There was no pain. Also, usually my hubby needs to hold on to one of the cats while I put the advocate on but not this time. I was able to do both girls by myself and I highly recommend that you give it a try yourself if you're feeling confident enough - just don't show them any stress or fear, they're clever like that! :)
I hope this message finds you all happy and healthy :)
Take care and hugs back xoxo

Blossomsmummy's reply to Cattitudemum's Comment

Written on: 29/08/2014

Aww I'm so glad that it went better this time around. I took blossom to the vets to have it done, and again I had no problems. I am going to do it myself in the future though as it will be a lot cheaper (plus it will save blossom getting stressed out by being put in the pet carrier etc) I feel confident enough to do it, and now she knows it won't hurt her she won't mind having it done. It can be like special bonding time between us lol.
I've just had her spade and she didn't talk to me for 3 days.
It broke my heart