Cambridge Audio A500RC Reviews

• Sound Quality

Cambridge Audio A500RC - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Cambridge Audio A500RC

“great item i love it”

Written on: 03/04/2010 by tooriscool (10 reviews written)

great item i love it… Read Full Review

Cambridge Audio A500RC

“First of all, a bit of background information. The...”

Written on: 27/06/2002 by Paul. (1 review written)

First of all, a bit of background information. The Cambridge Audio A500RC integrated amplifier is my first "proper" separates component. I have heard other components, but this is the first one I have owned. It was bought to replace an ageing Kenwood component system I had, which wasn't cheap at that time.

The system is currently connected to my PC with a Videologic Sonic Fury sound card, and used to play my mp3 collection, much of which is 192Kbit and above. For the time being, the PC is also… Read Full Review

Dj Milkie's Response to 29419_Paul.'s Review

Written on: 31/08/2003

I have found that the A500 tends to overheat especially if you are playing hard dance music, or any music at extreme levels. I believe that this is due to the small vents in the top of the case, which doesn't allow much air flow. This is a common design flaw in their series of amplifiers, as I also had problems with the A3 Mk2 overheating. This can be quite annoying as the fuse's that blow are very hard to come by.
<br>
<br>I agree with what the points of the review and agree that it is a good amplifier expecially for a budget system. But my experience has led me away for Cambridge Audio amplifiers.
<br>Reviewed By: Milkie & Jesse

Diabeticblues's Response to 29419_Paul.'s Review

Written on: 08/12/2003

These amps are not intended for hi power use. Most if not all amps I ever have to repair are blown due to people using them for parties and excessively loud purposes in average size homes so the heat issue is no worse with Cambridge than any other amplifier. For most average listening levels which actually are less than 10 watts these amps are pretty robust. If you must use it to tell the people three streets away what you like to hear then they do go pop. But I would rather they did this occasionally and make nice sounds the rest of the time rather than buy a PA amp that is not exactly hi-fi.
<br>I use the Pre power combination of this amp range, the C500 and P500. These are fine amps and even better now the price is down to less than £180!
<br>People should note that the difference between a 30 watt amp and a 50 watter is insignificant in real level terms. You will only hear a radical change in level if you go to a 300 watt device.
<br>
<br>I would question slightly the quality of the Phono stage on my C500 although the tone controls sound smooth and not too intrusive.
<br>For the record I use:
<br>Marantz CD60se
<br>Much modified Thorens TD160+SME3009 mk II with Ortofon VMS20e
<br>JVC td531 cassette
<br>Philips FT741 RDS FM tuner
<br>Akai GX600D reel to reel
<br>Rel Stadium III subwoofer
<br>Much modified Mordant short MS79 speakers (new bass drivers, ported with new crossovers)
<br>
<br>Out of the box the 500 is generally a little thin and tonally grey. Leave it on for 24 hours and it becomes significantly better. This rule follows with most if not all Hi-fi products the most outstanding I have found being the Philips tuner that went from nasty to good to even better in a week!