Gina Ford, The Complete Sleep Guide for Contented Babies & Toddlers Reviews

Media Gallery for Gina Ford, The Complete Sleep Guide for Contented Babies and Toddlers

Gina Ford, The Complete Sleep Guide for Contented Babies and Toddlers

“Found the Gina Ford, The Complete Sleep Guide for...”

Written on: 29/09/2009

Found the Gina Ford, The Complete Sleep Guide for Contented Babies and Toddlers book FANTASTIC. I was demand feeding for the 1st 3 months and was all over the place. My little girl would wake 3 times during the night and shuffle from 2am till 5:30. I implemented her schedule and the 1st night she slept right through from 11pm-7am. And within another 2 months I had her sleeping from 7-7,8am. Trusting my instincts left me scratching my head. 9 months down the track and my daughter still sleeps… Read Full Review

Gina Ford, The Complete Sleep Guide for Contented Babies and Toddlers

“At first, I thought the book was too strict for our 2...”

Written on: 27/09/2008

At first, I thought the book was too strict for our 2 week old but I thought I'd try it as our baby had started to cry for long stretches and wouldn't settle. We tried leaving our baby to cry for the recommended periods of time, but she still wouldn't settle. She would cry her little heart out and her little chin would be quivering for minutes after we had picked her up. I felt like a failure as a mother - my child obviously wouldn't settle because I had not followed the routines properly and I… Read Full Review

Gina Ford, The Complete Sleep Guide for Contented Babies and Toddlers

“The Complete Sleep Guide for Contented Babies and...”

Written on: 18/08/2004 by RebeccaG (1 review written)

The Complete Sleep Guide for Contented Babies and Toddlers:
While I agree that it is useful to get babies into a routine as a method of avoiding sleep problems to put a two week old baby on this military style roster is plain cruel to mother and baby. My daughter Eva is my third child and rather than just following my instincts which have given me two older children who are well adjusted and who slept through the night by six months, I foolishly read this book and began to doubt all my… Read Full Review

Kimbot1981's Response to 166293_RebeccaG's Review

Written on: 10/07/2005

This review is very misleading, Ginas routines allow my husband and I more freedom than we could have imagined to enjoy our very contented little boy. Gina Ford never advocates that smiling during a feed is wrong. what she does suggest however is when feeding your baby in the middle of the night that you keep the lights dim and keep interaction with the baby to a minimum (just soothing cuddles) so they are not confused when you put themback down in their cot and are able to settle themselves off to sleep. Whilst routines do not work for some mothers it is wrong to suggest that this book advises on cruel policies of any kind, it does quite the opposite.

Viv Speers's Response to 166293_RebeccaG's Review

Written on: 16/09/2005

I think Gina Ford is a saviour in a world which is full of differing opinions. I too thought that the book was a little military in its form, but after following GIna's guidelines, i realised that being firm with your baby - whilst still loving them unconditonally was doing them a big favour. Your baby knows you love him or her through the security you provide just by being mum and needs desperately some help in falling asleep on their own. I think if you use Gina's book as a reference manual instead of a bible then it can be a girls best friend. I am anything but military in my role as mum and chastise myself for being too soft sometimes so can understand people being slightly offended by this book. But the proof is in the pudding and i have to say, my little boy has slept thru the night from 11 weeks until he was 3 years old and i put it down to Gina's book as i had no idea about sleep routines till i read it. Also, if i may add, recently we travelled overseas and fell into some bad habits. We stayed in 12 different beds whilst away and this unsettled our son. I ended up putting a rod up my own back by letting him sleep with me in the end. The consequence is now 2.5 months of night wakings, apparent hysteria when i leave the room and its all because i fell into bad habit. I don't blame myself as it was all i could do at the time, BUT i am now back to Gina for my life support system and back up and guidance. Its not easy leaving him and staying up for 2 hours in the night wrapped in a sleeping bag on the sofa whilst i wait to repeatedly take him back to his own room, but slowly it is working and the time spent listening to his cries and putting him back to his own bed in the night is lessening. I know i am not being cruel but doing him a favour in the long run. And guess what? he is already a much happier wee boy because of it. i say thank you to Gina - and my mother in law wishes you had been around in her day when they had NO written advice to turn to.