Virgin Trains Reviews

• Cleanliness

Virgin Trains - Ask a question now

Media Gallery for Virgin Trains

“First Class”

Written on: 08/04/2016 by ElisabethRoach (1 review written)

Travelled first class from Motherwell to Euston for the first time. Was absolutely fabulous. Journey was excellent. The service was great and the staff were first class, pleasant and nothing was a bother. I would definitely not travel any other way now. Top marks to every member of staff… Read Full Review

“Worst service experience ”

Written on: 31/03/2016 by Harper104 (1 review written)

I am 56 years old and as part of my job I have traveled my whole life around the world. Virgin by far are the worst company for customer service. From London to Peterborough took me 4 hours and I wasn't informed this throughout my journey. Could go on but not wasting my time with this company. Terrible.!… Read Full Review

“I missed my train to London after the taxi driver...”

Written on: 29/03/2016 by McGee314 (1 review written)

I missed my train to London after the taxi driver insisted I could catch this train from Birmingham Snow Hill. Once there I asked a kind woman to point me in the right direction she did so I thought it was correct. However it wasn't so I had to catch taxi to new street station. I was in a state of panic by ye time I got to the station having missed my train. However one of the Virgin team witnesses my distress and helped me greatly he ensures me everything would be fine and even sorted my… Read Full Review

“Poor service, (no hot food, snack service only). ”

Written on: 26/12/2015 by Kelsiez1994 (1 review written)

Treat for Christmas, should have taken the car! I paid for first class, expecting the described first class menus, this was certainly not provided. I am well adverse to travel and have been most disappointed. Passengers without first class tickets were allowed to sit in first class at no extra cost. On the upside the staff are most helpful and very frustrated at the current state of affairs… Read Full Review

Sniffingmoose's Comment

Written on: 03/01/2016

Regular travellers know first class in a waiste of money. Dont believe their trendy adverts. Sadly, you will get next to nothing much food wise outside Monday to Friday business hours. I have travelled to Glasgow on Virgin trains recently and I could not buy a cup of tea. Reason given, the water boiler has broken down. On long distance rail travel in the UK, take your suvival kit containing a flask of tea, your own food, a deck chair in case there is no seat. Its not all bad if you choose your trains carefully through eperience. Save the first class for the continental railways where you can still sit down to have dinner.

“I used to work for them”

Written on: 08/12/2015 by Ortizqq441 (1 review written)

The Company is a money grabbling, they don't care about the passengers you might think it because it a VIRGIN company. The OBMS, HR, Talent people are a lot of Rubbish horrible people. If your young they love taking you for a bad ride They like old men and women that are going to be OAP in a few years. Don't Apply you been warned… Read Full Review

“Overly loud jobsworth was rude and unpleasant ”

Written on: 22/11/2015 by Di901 (1 review written)

Having just come up from a very pleasant weekend in Dumfries I boarded the Virgin West Coast train to Euston at 18:52 on 22/11/15. I was travelling with my small dog who I had been sure to wash and brush before we boarded. He's non shed as it happens. When we boarded we had a few "aww's" and coo's from other passengers and the gentleman who had reserved the seat next to us offered to move across the aisle to a vacant space to give us extra room. Very kind of him. One Virgin worker passed and… Read Full Review

Mkchickens's Response to Di901's Review

Written on: 29/11/2015

It is normal practice for a ticket inspector to loudly alert passengers when entering a couch to produce their tickets. This is standard on any train, the voice has to project to the end of the coach and allows passengers to have notice to produce their tickets.

I don't wish to add to any upset you may have felt when being told to' put your dog on something' and agree this should have been asked discreetly. However, I would take exception to any dog sitting on a seat meant for a passenger. I do not want to brush hairs from my clothes, or have a doggy smell transferred on to my clothes, also some people are highly allergic to dogs. It may have felt like the whole train was looking at you, the chances are they more concerned with getting on with their business. Hopefully your dog as lovely as he/she is will now travel on the floor thus avoiding any issues for you or others. I wish to add I am not connected in any way with any train operator. I am however a worldwide traveller on trains, planes etc..

Written on: 29/11/2015

As I said, the dog had been cleaned earlier in the day out of consideration for others and as it happens it is a non shed, hypoallergenic breed. Having checked prior to travel, small pets are entitled to travel on seats if they are available. As you say, the matter would have been better handled in a discreet manner by Virgin trains.

Betterthanclarkson's reply to Di901's Comment

Written on: 24/02/2016

I'm afraid there is no such thing as a "hypoallergenic" breed. Some breeds affect some people less than other breeds and but it is not possible to know the circumstances of every passenger who boards the train.

An animal can never be 'entitled' to cause harm, discomfort or inconvenience to a human being - and a paying customer at that. Again, even with the allergy issue being taken out of the equation, people can't be expected to arrive at business meetings with hair or animal smells on their clothing.

And at the end of the day - which dog would be troubled by having to lie on the floor? They'd be perfectly happy there.

Betterthanclarkson's Response to Di901's Review

Written on: 24/02/2016

I'm sorry to hear that you were upset on a journey which should have been enjoyable........... but at the same time I am appalled that an animal was allowed to get onto a passenger seat.

You have to understand that some people have allergies to animal hair - those hairs will be carried right back to the person's home. It is also the case that most people will want to arrive at their destination without animal hairs on their clothing.

As cute as little dogs are it just has to be acknowledged that they cannot be put on a seat which is designed for a person - not in a public area anyway. The proper place for animals is on the floor.

The ticket inspector might have lacked diplomatic skills but was absolutely correct in directing that animals must not be placed on seats. Human health and comfort MUST be put before the convenience of animals.

Di901's reply to Betterthanclarkson's Comment

Written on: 24/02/2016

Wow! I wrote this review MONTHS ago. You commented twice? You must be very invested. FYI Virgin have already responded with an apology and a free first class return trip. Very satisfactory as indeed they were in the wrong. case closed.

Gaia222's reply to Di901's Comment

Written on: 05/04/2016

This isn't really about the rights and wrongs of what you did/didn't do, but about the officious and overbearing nature of the ticket inspector. I am glad that Virgin recognised that their staff on the day fell short of their usually friendly approach & excellent service standards. Ref. dogs - I own one myself - too large to sit on a seat. I would not object to a fellow traveller using an empty seat for their companion, but would expect them to use their coat/light blanket for the reasons others have mentioned.

“Worst train trip ever!”

Written on: 17/11/2015 by BenjaminMyers221 (1 review written)

My partner and I traveled for his birthday on Virgin from London to York and back. The trains were late on both journeys -- just as they were dirty. On the return trip, our carriage simply did not exist. We had to squeeze between a crowd of passengers fighting for seats. Extremely disappointing… Read Full Review

“No Quiet Coach”

Written on: 13/11/2015 by 4Harrington (1 review written)

Virgin Trains have now taken away the quiet coach in first class. This is poor. Many passengers need to concentrate on work or just prefer to relax in a pleasant environment. Now, it is a nightmare having to listen to other passengers on their 'phones without any consideration for others. This is a retrograde step.I shall be looking for alternatives… Read Full Review

Betterthanclarkson's Comment

Written on: 24/02/2016

I travelled in January on Virgin East Coast and I am absolutely certain I was in a quiet coach. I may have imagined this but two days ago I was booking my next trip and 'quiet coach' was offered. (This is in first class by the way.) Are you sure that 'quiet coach' has been removed from all trains on your route (as opposed to rolling stock problems on the day) or across all routes? I'll look out for that the next time I book.

“First class service”

Written on: 28/10/2015 by Gelly46 (2 reviews written)

Travelled home from Edinburgh using their first class service which was excellent. The staff were friendly and service was top notch in comparison to another experience of ours in first class with trans pennine express! The journey was comfortable, wifi great, very calm atmosphere, was lovely. Offered refreshments, wine, soft drinks, tea, coffee and not just once. The virgin member of staff even went out of his way to make my son a hot chocolate which was appreciated greatly as he didn't have… Read Full Review

“Virgin trains excelled on 17:10 from London to Holyhead”

Written on: 21/10/2015 by Willlb (1 review written)

Admittedly our departure was 10 minutes late , but our first class travel experience more then made up ! I did not expect a hot meal , snacks and dessert which in actuality was far better then the British Aiirways business class return flight meal I had experienced earlier in the day . the person I dealt with who was in charge of first class hospitality and could not be more helpful , courteous and clearly went the extra mile to ensure all passengers in coach E received a very good service. I… Read Full Review

“Quite Satisfactory”

Written on: 24/09/2015 by vbMead415 (1 review written)

On time, clean, pertinent info provided in a timely manner. No problems… Read Full Review

“Bad odour”

Written on: 16/09/2015 by AngB (1 review written)

Train times and staff efficient and prived really good..but the train was awful the seats were threadbare in places and very worn looking and dirty and the smell in coach B was awful smelt like a dirty ashtray...not good when your on a long (ish)journey ...needs updating badly… Read Full Review

“Virgin trains suck!”

Written on: 29/08/2015

Paid 390 pounds for 2 first class tickets, outward from Kings Cross to Edinburgh and inward from Glasgow to Birmingham. The outward journey had faulty air condioning in the food car, so they closed it. The sandwiches that were brought round looked dog eared and reminiscent of the bad old British Rail food days. The useless staff had no idea which items were gluten free, and we had to pay for the only items we could find from the shop. The return journey was no better. A large Japanese party… Read Full Review

“Impressed! ”

Written on: 26/08/2015 by KarenFitz (1 review written)

This was my first journey with Virgin in a long while and I wasn't disappointed. We were a family of 3 travelling with a child and I must say it was enjoyable from start to finish. The trains ran on time, the onboard shops were well stocked, the toilets clean and equipped and the staff were really friendly. I managed to purchase the tickets in the June sale and I can't wait to get the same kind of bargain for my next trip!… Read Full Review

“TERRİBLE!”

Written on: 17/08/2015 by cerenteselli (1 review written)

I have travelled from Liverpool to London with this company. It was the most UNCOMFORTABLE journey I have ever been! It was an hour delay and there was a lot of garbage under my seat. There was people that travel without a ticket though I paid 30 pound! I do NOT recommend this company to travelling, it was so terrible… Read Full Review

“low in value compaired to other trains in UK”

Written on: 15/08/2015 by Gomez151 (1 review written)

I purchased tickets prior to coming to UK for a month visit. Knowing nothing of the system, I used a clearance company for our trip. Virgin trains was the third trip we took in UK and it was way below par of the others. We had a smooth ride, no hitches, no being buffeted about in the car like on Virgin. WiFi was offered but at a huge price, for my idea but a lot of what I wanted to look at, at the long 6 hour trip was blocked. No movies, youtube, etc. And when I did get on it was so very… Read Full Review

“Long delays, poor communication, no service personnel”

Written on: 14/08/2015 by mamurray76 (1 review written)

My trip from Scotland to West Sussex was horrible. Due to an unfortunate accident trains were delayed more than an hour. Poor announcements were made regarding those delays. When a train did finally arrive it was drastically overbooked causing me to stand for more than two hours while traveling with my dog who had to lie in the aisle way. There were several heated arguments over unrecognized reserved seating and no personnel could be found at all. No explanation was made to oncoming… Read Full Review

“Some Staff go beyond to help !!”

Written on: 10/08/2015 by Rach45 (1 review written)

I meant to write this a while ago, but due to one thing or another have only just got round to it ! The day in question was 17 April 2015. After a hectic journey home with Virgin Atlantic from Orlando via Atlanta, minus our luggage, we ended up in London Euston. We should have flew to Manchester, instead had to take a flight to Heathrow. There was no help cost wise from Virgin Airlines. We stood in line to purchase train tickets, which on a Friday afternoon is no cheap affair. That was… Read Full Review

“Perfect!!”

Written on: 10/08/2015 by Young1965 (1 review written)

I cannot praise the staff today on Virgin trains enough..I got the train from Milton keyens to Chester at 3.41pm. I'm a support worker for a client who I had with me today who is only 16. Tickets where booked yesterday by him, i got on the train and seen someone was on our seats, i only realised at that point that our tickets where booked for next month. Once I explained to the ticket man (wish I new his name) that I hadn't realised it was booked for the wrong month, he was great, very… Read Full Review

“Terrible service in first class on Virgin”

Written on: 26/07/2015 by ert53 (1 review written)

I use Virgin trains, West Coast line, every year when visiting UK for work and family visits. In 2014 my experiences were very poor. This year I only needed to take one trip, from Carlisle to London, and was very disappointed to find if anything a deterioration. I booked first class as I normally do, and it was nearly 100 pounds for this three hour trip. It is daylight robbery, really. But if the service had been good I would not have complained. I boarded at about 9.50am and was hoping for… Read Full Review